Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 21, 2012
Although the Xtreamer SideWinder-3 is not perfect, it is pretty close and continues to evolve. I have tested various media players over the past 5 years and this SideWinder-3 is officially my new favorite. The construction quality gets an A+ and the functional potential is pretty cool due to the use of the Realtek 1186 chipset and Android 2.x foundation. With the latest 3.5 firmware update just released, even more features have been added. With that said, a few things need to be kept in mind -

A. Since this unit is Android based and does start numerous linked services, it can take about 45+ seconds for the system to boot 100%... so be patient.

B. While starting up, the HDMI 1.4a output may not be enabled until the home screen is displayed. The composite and RCA video outputs are active at all times during start-up, which makes sense and is expected.

C. Because of the above, if you are updating the firmware, DO NOT use the HDMI video out; use one of the other video feeds so you can see the "pre-boot" status and properly follow the manufacturer instructions.

Again, this unit is VERY cool with an easy learning curve. It plays everything I have thrown at it regardless of the media type or the source being network based, USB based, or onboard HDD based. The remote is very detailed so that will take a little time to master, but this is a powerful little media monster. :)

My only request(s) to the developers in the UK is to add more US related default content for those of us "across the pond". This can be done with region specific firmware tweaks. Likewise, a region specific 3-prong AC/DC wall adapter would be appreciated. The default 100-240v international unit works fine here in the USA with the included 2-prong UK/EU-to-US socket adapter, but it also increases the physical height of the AC/DC adapter. Other than that, GREAT WORK!

Now, back to watching all my media content and surfing the web on my 55" LCD TV via the SideWinder-3! :)
on May 21, 2012
I tried using an Nvidia based HTPC running TMT5 to play iso files but became frustrated with how complicated it was every time I wanted to switch from the monitor screen to the projector, and how TMT5 won't play all files correctly. This box does the job. I haven't had it long enough to make full use of it's potential, but am very happy using it for playback of 3D movie files. It does not open with the movie menu, however, but immediately plays the movie. I'm using a Harmony remote to control it and everything else - Denon AVR1913 and Acer H9500BD projector. For the price, I'm very satisfied.

UPDATE Well, I've had the unit for 3 months now, and can comment a little more on movie playback. I installed a HD into it. Wasn't sure how to get it recognized, so I went online to the user forum and within 24hrs received very simple instructions on a specific setting change I needed to make and the drive is working fine. I've used it's USB 3.0 port to load files from my PC - works fine. I've tried 2 different 3TB external hard drives, one Seagate, and the other, Hitachi. The Seagate gets recognized instantly after bootup, the Hitachi is a real pain and has to be unplugged, disconnected, plugged back in, and then reconnected for the Sidewinder to see it. BUT, this also happens when I connect the Hitachi to my PC for file transfer, so it's inherent in the Hitachi drive itself, not the Sidewinder. I still have not tried streaming or gone online with it, so I can't comment on that. Everything else is working as expected with no problems. Still very happy with my purchase.

UPDATE 2/27/13
I just learned that the Android version in this unit DOES NOT SUPPORT ARM APPS. These are the apps we have come to be familiar with on most smartphones. There is NO DOCUMENTATION in their product user manual about this. I only discovered it after wasting hours following their online instructions on how to install android apps and nothing working. The upshot of this is that it DOES NOT SUPPORT NETFLIX STREAMING. If you want Netflix, you should look somewhere else. I removed 2 stars because the Xtreamer Sidewinder 3 FAQ listed Netflix as an available option, and their website is very misleading about online internet streaming. I still enjoy the Sidewinder 3 for file playback, but that's it.
77 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2012
I thought that I bought a defected device... but I can see from other comment's that the trouble I am experimenting with Xtreamer sidewinder 3 are very commun.

Every 15 minutes (about) the Xtreamer sidewinder 3 is rebooting.

I installed an internal 2,5 inch hard disk, hoping that it would work better, I flashed as well the latest firmware.... No change. Whatever the source, it is not possible to watch a movie without interruption every 15 minutes. After reboot which take about 3 minutes, we have to select the movie again from the menu, find where it stopped (it does not bookmark when rebooting), remake also all the language et subtitle change if necessary.

By the way we do not get any support at all from Xtreamer manufacturers, I sent twice a mail requesting some help on this matter, no answer (I did not bought it from Amazone)
on May 29, 2012
I can only confirm the words above and add some more. Streaming over my network doesnt work. Freezing, rebooting, no smooth playback... The torrent clients are a joke. None of the 2 work. My hard drive gets many times recognized as a dvd rom. i noticed the playback of bluerays isnt eaven smooth from my hdd. If anyone expects this will run wireless....forget it. Ok, firmware update should solve some problems, right? Forget it. Upgraded to 3,5...device reboots itself after 20 minutes. EVERY 20 mins!! Useless junk. So back to 3.0 beta. Then you read their annonucements: more new stuff to come!!! What the f***, what new stuff???? Dont they get it?? We want the stuff that is already there to be working! When this happens, then add new functions. Insted they pack it full with everything, where not half of it works.
I never used to bother with updates, firmwares etc. on my previous devices. It all just goes automaticly. To update this junk, you have to be half hecker or at least a geek (no joking...read their upgrade instructions!).

I read the mostly bad reviews and still bought it. So dont make the same mistake as I did.
I gave it 2 stars, becouse it actualy can play 720p and 1080p mkvs. Dont take it for granted...not with an xtreamer! You have to be thankful for each feauture that actualy works!
on February 24, 2013
work very nice..
the attributs meet my expectations....
very fast and confortable...
fast internet conneccion...
hice una buena compra y
on May 6, 2012
I amending my negative review for this product. I give credit when it's due. My frustrations with this product was the unexpected rebooting. I do not know what was the cause and no one help me. I stuck with it because is the best all around media player in the market. It supports 3D, all of the most popular movies codec, scaling on the fly ( I own a 65in screen and hate black bars), movie jukebox alike Netflix, Android and the list keeps going.

I upgraded to firmware 4.0 and my God it's the most stable firmware. No reboots and very robust. I cannot imagine what they can improve on. This player kicks major butt. Everything you need in a media player is there. Outstanding guys with the firmware 4.0. if you having any problems with reboots or stability, upgrade to firmware 4.0.
on February 3, 2013
From what I was told by a co-worker this item is great. I have not gotten a chance to use mine.
44 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2014
I solved this problem with the "emergency recovery" teachs in the site ... Since two weeks without that the problem return ...

See 1 answered question