Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Xtrememac Soma Stand is sleek, handsome and compact enough to take anywhere. It is fairly well built and not too heavy. The triangular design is unique and the foldout of the iPod/iPhone/iPad stand is convenient. I also liked the convenience of having four AA batteries as a backup in case you want to take this somewhere where there is no electrical backup. Do note that the plug is a larger box and will take over two electrical inputs. The cord is barely long enough; about four feet. The sound is going to be better with the cord than the batteries.

Despite its great appearance, the sound is disappointing. It is stereo but there is virtually no punchy bass even though the treble is good. To charge and play my iPhone, I had to take off the Otterbox so it would fit on the charger stand. That I did not care for. For its compactness, appearance and convenience, I'd say it's a nice charger/player for your device, but the sound is simply not there. I'd venture a guess that the price will drop about half in a few months. Logitech has some similar devices such as the Logitech Clock Radio Dock s400i for iPod and iPhone and the Logitech Rechargeable Speaker S315i with iPod Dock in the same price range with at least equal sound quality and more features.
on March 5, 2013
Verified Purchase
It is not Hi Fi, it is a clock radio level sound, (well, better than that), with a well designed charging cradle that is the high power version to allow IPAD charginig (and faster IPhone charging) and a device to play sound pretty well. It packs well for travel. I bought one for my dtr out of state for Christmas, and liked it so much (we used it a lot while she was home for Christmas) that we bought one for the 'rents (us) too.
I like being able to cradle the IPad in it and watch video while charging.
It does not have real bass but that is ok for me, there are other devices in the house that crush my chest wall w bass, this is a competent, clean sound and pleasing ergonomics.
on January 27, 2012
Overall, I like it.

I played two songs as a test:
and

Both songs helped me confirmed these conclusions:

Pros:

Decent bass. Granted, it isn't as good as my cars' stereos (I have factory, basic stereos on my Toyota Camry 2000 and my Nissan Sentra SR special edition 2012). However, it produces enough bass that I actually can "feel" the thump.

Portability. I love how portable this thing is! You unfold it to let it stand on the table or the floor, and fold it up to take it with you. The pictures are quite accurate. Unlike what some reviewers say, I feel it is quite sturdy. It's pretty heavy.

It comes with an aux jack, which is what I used. I tested it with my computer. I can only assume that on an ipod, the sound quality should be even better since it's a direct connection.

Power button. My other portable speaker doesn't have one. I hate that. I found that I had to disconnect the power and it drives me nuts.

Overall, the sound quality is quite balanced.

Cons:

It can use more clarity in its sound. I can't hear the "little details" as much, but overall it gives a smooth feel.

Not very loud. It's probably okay in a small room, but it's definitely not good enough at a larger, noisier party.

It squeaks at certain high notes. My computer speaker does not do that. However, I do have it turned on to the highest (though I don't at all feel that it's LOUD).

Well, I like it. I'm not sure I would ever buy one if I don't already have it, but I think it would be great for someone who needs to travel on business trips and give presentations. This would be a good addition to the portal projector packages in a meeting.

Personally, I'm going to put it in my classroom - the computer speakers that come from my schools are terrible.
on July 31, 2013
Verified Purchase
As a new iPhone user my daughter bought me this dock for Christmas. I love it! This is coveted in my house. My two teenage daughters are always sneaking away with it. The sound is very nice and the volume can go very high. This device also charges your iPhone super fast! Super easy to use - just set your iPhone on the cradle and that's it! If you want to use the speaker just turn it on in the back. A great feature is its portability. It folds down nicely for travel. I love it so much I bought another one here on amazon.com.
on November 27, 2011
This item is perfect for those looking a sleek, good sound, affordable choice to charge their iPhone/ipod even iPad in a reduced space.

Also, you can take it out for a BBQ or a pool party using 4 AA batteries, this option will last a full bbq if you keep the volume between half and 3/4 (more than enough for an ambient music) if you want to dance and blow up your neighbor's windows, then go for the Harman Kardon boom box Harman Kardon Go + Play High-Performance Portable Loudspeaker System with Dock for iPod (Newest Model)] but as you may notice, is not the night stand feature I was looking for.

So, hands down, a good buying option for all iPhone/ipod owners to wake up in the morning listening to a good music in your night stand.
VINE VOICEon May 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I own three docking stations and the XtremeMac IPU-SAS-11 is the best one! I totally love it for many reasons. It is eXtremely easy to operate and the sound is eXtremely LOUD! If you turn up the volume All the Way, you can create a party. Also, this docking station is eXtremely portable.

The XtremeMac IPU-SAS-11 arrived securely wrapped, taped and cushioned within its box. It would be difficult to damage this docking station during shipping. Operation instructions and functions of the XtremeMac IPU-SAS-11 are printed on the box. The box should be saved for storage. Also, the contents of the box included the docking station (Soma Stand), AC power adapter and user guide/warranty statement. See the various photographs that I have posted on Amazon's website for this product.

I was able to begin playing music within five to ten minutes after opening the box. This attractive, stylish pyramid-shaped docking station is eXtremely easy to set up and operate. Diagrams for opening and closing the docking station are on the box. Simply open up the two halves, swing out and lock the Apple dock connector in place, and then dock your iOS [iPhone Operating System (Apple)] device, i.e., iPod, iPhone and iPad. I own the Apple iPhone 4. It is protected by a heavy, thick case, which is nearly impossible to remove: Speck CandyShell View Phone Case (Speck CandyShell View Phone Case for iPhone 4, Fits Verizon and AT&T Models - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Batwing Black). Therefore, I cannot dock it without attaching a Charge and Audio Extension Cable (Charge and Audio Extension Cable for Cars and Speaker Docks Fits Apple iPod / iPhone (White, 4 Ft)). See my posted photograph.

In the rear of the right side of the upside down "V," there is the power button (a yellow LED on the Apple dock connector glows orange when the power is ON) and "+" and "-" buttons for increasing and decreasing the volume, respectively. There is an AC adapter for connecting the docking station to an electrical outlet and a line in jack for connecting it to MP3 players, such as my Philips GoGear Cam 8 GB MP3 Player (Philips GoGear Cam 8 GB MP3 Player (Silver)). Because of the AC power adapter, this docking station will charge your iOS device while it plays music. Also, because the electrical outlet is the power source rather than the iOS device itself, the volume on the docking station can be greatly amplified. I was disappointed with the XtremeMac IPU-STR-11 (Xtrememac IPU-STR-11 Portable Stereo Speaker with Dock for iPod, iPhone and iPad); it has a very compact design that makes it eXtremely portable but, it has a low volume, doesn't charge iOS devices, and doesn't have an alarm. On a positive side, the XtremeMac IPU-STR-11 does have a mini USB cord that allows the owner to sync their iOS device with their iTunes accounts while their iOS device is still docked.

The owner can download the free XtremeMac alarm clock app to their iOS device and turn it into an alarm clock. I already had it downloaded because I own the XtremeMac Luna SST Dual Alarm Clock with Detachable Speaker. It plays music loudly, has a detachable speaker that can be placed across the room, and two alarm clocks that can wake one up to their favorite song. However, this docking station is too large to be portable and can be difficult for a novice to set up and operate. I have used the XtremeMac alarm clock app on my iPhone to wake me up while I was napping in my La-Z-Boy recliner; my iPhone was docked to my pyramid-shaped XtremeMac IPU-SAS-11. After turning off the first alarm, I laid back in my La-Z-Boy and waited until the second alarm awoke me to a different song that I had pre-selected using the XtremeMac alarm clock app.

In order to download the XtremeMac alarm clock app on one's iOS device, simply go to App Store/Search/xtrememac alarm clock. If you want the alarm to wake you up to your favorite song, dock the iOS device and touch the Alarm Clock app. Touch the settings icon at the bottom center. Alarm 1 and Alarm 2 will appear. Touch Alarm 1. You then have options to select Time, Source, Repeat, Volume and Snooze. Select Time and use the roulette wheel to program the time. Remember to select the proper AM or PM. Touch Alarm 1 and select Source/Song. All the songs in one's library will appear in alphabetical order by title. Select your favorite song. Then touch Alarm 1 and select Repeat and touch the day(s) you want this Alarm to wake you. Then touch Alarm 1 and select Volume. After pushing your finger across the screen to the right (increase volume) or to the left (decrease volume), touch Alarm 1 and select Snooze. Using the roulette wheel again, select the time interval you want the alarm to ring again after hitting Snooze. Touch Alarm 1 and touch Alarms. Ensure that Alarm 1 is ON and touch Sync. Repeat process for Alarm 2 if you want this docking station to wake someone else up at a different time.

While playing music on my iPhone I never have to miss a call when it is docked on my XtremeMac IPU-SAS-11. When someone calls my iPhone, my music ceases, the iPhone rings and I answer it by pressing once the On/Off button on my Jabra EASYGO Bluetooth Headset (Jabra EASYGO for PCs Bluetooth Headset with USB Adapter - Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black). When I end the call, the music commences. The music will also cease when I begin dialing a number; once again the music will commence when I terminate the call.

The XtremeMac IPU-SAS-11 can be operated using four AA batteries in lieu of plugging it into an electrical outlet. Batteries were not included. I installed four AA batteries and the sound was fairly lower than if I had the docking station connected to the electrical outlet. The battery door is located on the bottom of the left side of the docking station's inverted "V." It was easy to slide open but difficult to shut after I inserted the batteries. To open the door, place your thumb on it and slide it away from the hinge. To close the door, slide your thumb towards you. After inserting the batteries, continue to slide your thumb across the door away from the hinge until the door is shut tightly closed and then slide your thumb back towards the hinge in order to lock it in place. I seldom use the batteries. Normally, I just plug the docking station into an electrical outlet. If I took it to an outdoor event, such as a pool party or picnic, I'd have to insert the four AA batteries.

I connected my Philips GoGear Cam 8 GB MP3 Player to my XtremeMac IPU-SAS-11 (Philips GoGear Cam 8 GB MP3 Player (Silver)). The sound was clear and the volume was high if I had it connected to the electrical outlet. The sound was much lower if the power solely came from batteries.

I love my XtremeMac IPU-SAS-11. I love its portability. Recently, I packed it in my suitcase when I flew home to visit my relatives in Knoxville, Tennessee. In Virginia Beach, Virginia, my best friend threw a surprise birthday party for her oldest daughter. I brought my XtremeMac IPU-SAS-11 to her home and connected her iPad to it. We were able to listen to some modern R&B during the party. The sound was great. Furthermore, I sing in the choir at Woodland Heights Baptist Church in Chesapeake, Virginia. We are performing a 4th of July celebration. I downloaded the music to my iPhone so that I could listen and learn it. After docking my iPhone on my XtremeMac IPU-SAS-11 and turning up the volume, I can hear the 4th of July music all over my apartment. The XtremeMac IPU-SAS-11 is the best docking station I own and I highly recommend it to anyone who needs a portable one.

Joseph B. Hoyos
on August 27, 2013
Verified Purchase
With my black iphone 4 it looks killer.
The sound is above average, nice
for my desk or nightstand - TY good product.
Verified Purchase
16-year-old grandson who is too cool to create a Christmas gift list loved this portable speaker for his iPhone. Phew. Granny finally gains some cred.
on January 10, 2014
Verified Purchase
Performs perfectly and is very well constructed. This is not junky! I bought 4 of them for gifts if that says anything :o)
on January 2, 2014
Verified Purchase
Good sound.. I take with me on the road so I can use my iTunes app at any hotel. It has a surprisingly good depth for size!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations