YBIKE Extreme Balance Bike (Orange)
Color: OrangeChange
Price:$92.23 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 11, 2010
I saw this balance bike advertised for the 3-5 age range, so I purchased one, and after assembling it, I could see how small it was. Then when my son tried it, the YBike was definitely too small. The age range for it is more like 2 or 2.5 to 3.5. Misleading advertising.

Here is other the major problem with this bike: in today's market, with more and more balance bike options, YBike simply lacks adjustability as the child grows. The handlebars are not adjustable. The seat is not adjustable. You can easily find 10 balance bikes online that have adjustable handlebars and seats, which are actually important for the longevity of a bike! Although the frame of YBike Extreme is small, the seat could have been made with at least one higher position. The handlebars are also a little narrow and low. No rubber grips.

Your kid will definitely have fun on Ybike Extreme, but do not expect it to last as long as a balance bike with adjustability. For that reason, I could not recommend this balance bike wholeheartedly to a family who has $80 to spend only to have to replace this bike in one year or so. I'd tell families to buy a longer-lasting balance bike!

Assembly was very easy and quick. Disassembly was also a cinch. YBike Extreme is so very light and easy to carry. It scores points for its streamlined, modern design.

It's too bad that the designers didn't include longevity with this bike.
review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Color: OrangeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although this is called a "bike" it is really more of a scooter that a small child can sit on and propel themselves with their feet. The child I gave this to enjoyed it immensely, though I can understand the concerns other reviewers had about its suitability for kids older than 3 or 4. But for a child in the 3-4 age range, it is quite a remarkable toy. Whether its limited shelf life justifies the price is something that each parent will have to decide for themselves. But tricycles also have a limited life span as usable toys, and I would definitely prefer a YBIKE to a tricycle. I think the YBIKE would help develop the balance and coordination needed to later ride a bike much better than a regular tricycle.

But if the price and limited lifespan of the YBIKE is not a deterrent, I can strongly recommend this outstanding toy. It is one of the best innovations on traditional toys that I have seen.
VINE VOICEon December 25, 2010
I have a large 2 1/2 year old. He's about 3' 4" tall, and right around 40 pounds. This bike fits him perfectly, which is great for Christmas morning, but I'm worried that by the time summer gets here, he will be too big for it. The pictures and age range here are very misleading. I can't possibly imagine a 5 year old enjoying this tiny bike. As others have said, it's not adjustable at all.

Assembly was easy, took my husband and I about 5-10 minutes. One of our screws didn't have any threads, but the way the seat attaches we felt safe leaving one of them out until we can get a replacement.

It's built strong, and I can easily see it being passed down to friends and family when he outgrows it. He absolutely adores it, so that's what counts most, right?
on September 28, 2010
Color: PinkVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Update 10-2-10: I just wanted to note that this leaves a bit of a black mark on our would floors, and it is pretty tough to remove. Of course, this isn't really meant for indoor use. LOL. My daughter still loves it!

Ok, let me explain....My daughter has been afraid to try her bike, even with training wheels....so, I get this, put it together in about 10 minutes and my daughter instantly gets on and starts riding it around the house....so, I suspect she will be on her bike a lot sooner....and WITHOUT training wheels. It's actually pretty amazing, and I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it, but I do think my daughter will be riding quickly. In about half an hour she was moving and balancing pretty well. I think that using your feet to balance is actually better than training wheels....at least watching my daughter, it seems better, because I think she can catch herself if her balance starts to falter, and she is not relying on the training wheels. This really should have 4.5 stars, but I did take off half a star for two reasons. First, the directions were not that great and very small. But the real problem is that in the Amazon listing it makes it seem that it can take at least 120 lbs., however, on the frame it says the weight limit is 44lbs! That's a huge difference. I don't know which to believe. The forks are a plastic or nylon type, and perhaps that is the weak link??? This bike is REALLY light, and I think that also helps the rider keep control. The welds are pretty clean and nice, but now that I think of it, the seat is probably the weakest link, as it cantilevers off the frame. The seat is a hard plastic, and doesn't seem very comfortable, however, my daughter has not complained. The tires are cool looking and while at first I thought they were hard plastic, they are actually rubber, and grip well. I don't know how well they would do on a wet surface, but they look like they would do great in dirt....you know, I went back and pushed it to 5 stars. I thought I should round it up. Watching my daughter as I am writing this review, she is doing so well, I think it is really great. She has picked it up very quickly and easily. I wish I would have known, I would have gotten her one of these years ago!!!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 29, 2010
Color: OrangeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We have a 2 year old and a 4 year old so we are perhaps the perfect family to test this bike out on. Assembly was very easy. There are only a few steps to add the seat, handle bars and wheels to the frame and the hex keys needed to put it together are included. The bike is very well built. It does not feel cheap or flimsy at all.

Like the other review said there is no way to adjust this bike though - what you have is what you get. My children eagerly awaited a chance to try it - they are used to riding their tricycle. Our 2 1/2 year old got on it first and her feet just reached the ground. She could scoot forward on it and had fun, but it was tiring. When she is a little taller it will be perfect. Our almost 4 year old felt a little awkward on it at first because he was already almost too tall for it. He quickly got used to it and took off down the sidewalk. I'm afraid another year or so and he will be too tall to ride it.

With the sturdy construction the only thing holding this bike back is that it can't be adjusted - at all - in any way for growing children, so the bikes size will only be ideal for your child for a little while. If you can justify the cost and are looking for a balancing bike and understand that limitation, its a great bike.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 10, 2012
My child is 4 years old, about 50 percentile in height, and she found the seat level too low. She could not glide at all as a result. The problem is there is no way to raise the seat. I called the company and the representative said, "we sell a lot of these and no one ever called about that issue, so I don't know what to tell you." Most likely I have to get yoga mats and cut that out to add height to the current seat. I had bought a glider for my older daughter, and that product allows for seat height adjustment. My personal opinion is the glider is better designed. Something to consider when looking at these products.

Also, look around for better prices. I bought from another online retailer for $15 less that what is listed here.
on February 27, 2013
Colour is perfect yet wheels make this look slightly more rugged. My daughters balance has improved in weeks. Seat height does not adjust
on January 18, 2012
My granddaughter just loves her new pink balance bike. She is 20 months old, puts on her helmet, gets on her bike and scoots herself across the living room.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 7, 2010
Color: PinkVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This bike is a very intriguing concept - it challenges the idea that training wheels are a good way to learn how to ride a bike.

The theory is that while training wheels work well with getting rid of the fear of sitting on a bicycle, it tends to be rather ineffective in teaching children how to balance themselves.

This bike takes the opposite approach - rather than teaching the child how to pedal the bike, it focuses primarily on teaching the basics of balance.

It is actually rather fun to see kids who are not able to balance on a real bike ride this one. Suddenly you see them careening down the driveway lifting their feet off the ground in an attempt to go faster. Without realizing it, they are able to balance themselves for the short duration that inertia carries them down the street. You'll also notice by the way that they lean their body when making a turn that they are learning the right way to balance on a bike.

It is important to note that this is not a "real" bike in the traditional sense. There are no pedals and there are no brakes. Instead, its closest relative is actually a push trike.

Now, for the usage part.

Our 3 yr old niece never quite got used to the idea of a bike without training wheels, and refused to try this one. While we were able to coax her onto it, she refused to make it move. However, her 4 year old sibling took to it without missing a beat, and was racing around our driveway within a few minutes. He and his 7 year old cousin (who recently completed the 30-mile St. Paul bike tour) took turns racing around on it, and had a regular blast.

This suggests that the age range for this bicycle probably begins at 4 years of age, rather than the manufacturer's recommendation of 3. Of course, this will vary by child - so a child's temperament and maturity will be more important than any objective age.

Happy balancing!
Color: PinkVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My husband and I fine this bike the perfect size for my daughter and I believe she will love riding up and down the block in it. This bike is lightweight enough for her to maneuver by herself, which gave her lots of confidence. Also, without any tricky pedals, she had no problem getting where she wanted to go.

As a parent, I loved the YBike. The look of it was very aesthetically pleasing, and it's easy to see why it has won awards for its design. It has a compact design as well, making it easy to store in a corner of the living room or coat closet. The wheels were chunky and sturdy, and the whole structure seemed built to last. I definitely feel safe with my daughter on one of these YBikes. And with good reason: the YBike Extreme balance bike has tons of safety features. The front wheels are designed for wide turns, so they will not tip over. The largeness of the wheels also absorbs more impact on bumpy or uneven surfaces. Last of all, the back wheels are covered and the seating is placed more forward on the bike so kids can stretch their legs out without hurting themselves on the wheels.

I do recommend this for children between the age of two to four, there is no better outdoor toy than the YBike Extreme balance bike. The pink color is cool and right up her ally. Plus the sleek design is pretty neat along the safety features which makes this bike really cool. The special construction helps children build self-confidence and motor skills while still having a blast. In addition, it grows with them and will be fun until they are ready to make a transition. I myself also recommend the YBike Extreme balance bike.

See 1 answered question