Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 30, 2013
EDIT: Edited after wearing them for a few months. Additional info added at the bottom.

I've worked in a construction field for the better part of a decade. Steel/safety-toed boots are a requirement, complete with "If the steel is showing, the boot is no longer safe for work." So, I've been using boot protectors of one style or another for a long time.

These ones have won the day, even compared to other "boot bumper" types.

The things they got right:
A proper glue - The rubber cement they included in the pack is a good, solid glue. Other companies have included a weak version or a different kind (some include something that resembles super glue and that doesn't work AT ALL.)
A glue brush - This is the first and only time I've seen a package of these with a brush to help you spread/apply the glue. It helps A LOT.
An alcohol wipe - I've gotten in the habit of cleaning the toes off with alcohol anyways, but this is the first time I've seen a company package a wipe with the boot guards. It helps to get all the little bits of dust and crud out from the leather and the guards.
Good instructions - Putting these on isn't rocket science, especially if you've done a few pairs, but these instructions were clear and concise.

Things that could have been better:
The sandpaper - The square they give you is tiny. It's sufficient, but a bit fiddly to use.
The packaging - Its your basic clamshell/vacuum shell style packaging. A bit annoying to get into.

For me, these are a sure winner. I'll snag another set when this pair of boots finally dies!

A few tips to help apply them:
Don't apply these to new boots/shoes, especially if they're oil-tanned (most work boots are). They won't stick worth a darn, thanks to the oil. You've got to let the boots air/wear a bit and get some of the oil out. You could also scrub the boot tip really good, but I just wear them for about a week and then apply.

Be SURE to let the cement set up for a bit before putting them on. Otherwise, the rubber will lift up and you'll have to argue with them. Wait for them to get tacky!

Make sure the boots are clean! Scrub off any dirt, grease, etc. before you begin. A stiff brush is a good solution.

I take a couple of rubber bands and snap them around the toes of the boots, holding the tops of the guards down when I let them set up, but that's just a habit of mine. May or may not be needed or helpful for you.

And make sure to WAIT the full time before using the boots. Honestly, I've never had a problem just waiting 8-10 hours, but no point in taking chances, right?

tl;dr - Get these, they're awesome.

EDIT 03/28/20104: After having these on my boots for the last four months or so, I've only had one complaint: The glue doesn't seem to hold on very well. I've had to reglue them twice. Perhaps that's why they give you so much glue in the package, since I've been able to just reuse the same glue tube.

Other than that, they're still holding up great! The rubber is barely scuffed, and the toes of my boots are still nice and protected!
on October 28, 2013
I just received mine and glued them on today. I cannot yet leave a review for how well they protect the boots. But I read another review that said there was only 1 in the package. There are 2 in my package, so you do get a real pair.
on November 30, 2015
These are identical to other on Amazon for twice the cost. For 5 bucks delivered (!), this Yaktrax boot protector kit is extremely nice. Packaging is retail. The two toe protectors are injection molded urethane which is extremely durable compared to rubber or leather. The contact cement that the kit comes with sticks to rubber, vinyl, and the urethane protectors very, very well. The kit comes with a tube of cement, an applicator brush, a square inch of quality sandpaper, and an alcohol pad.

The only drawbacks I can think of are 1) the application required about 20 minutes of set time before it was safe to remove all pressure from the urethane protector and the boot without any edge lift. This was a challenge as I did not take the time to tape everything together for even pressure around the toe of the boot and I just used finger pressure which was fatiguing. A little bit of creativity would solve this. 2) I put these on hard-toed boots; soft-toed boots may present a challenge and I would suggest stuffing the toe generously with paper or a sock(s) to keep the toe firmly opposed to the pressure required to set the cement.

Anyhow, for the money, I'm very satisfied. The cement bonded very well, the product seems to be of high quality, and they look decent too.
review image
on December 30, 2012
These are great for people who are tough on their boots. Had mine since the end of summer 2012 and they look like they will last a long time. The boots I used these on were expensive and pretty rugged until I found out there was no leather behind the boots toe guard extending to the sole. It would be nice if boot protecter was bigger on the bottom to look better on safety toe sizes. Other than that they're pretty good. I bought another pair for my new boots before the toes wear down.

Buy them... Good for the price.
review image review image
on January 29, 2014
My only complaint with this item is that it had kind of an awkward fit on my boot, but for a product that is supposed to be universal for all kinds and brands of boots...not bad at all. The fit was a bit off on my boots which meant I had to apply a bit more pressure to make it conform to the shape but it was easily do-able and the final finish was good. The version of this product made by my boot's manufacturer would probably fit better but it also cost more than $20 more!!! The extra hassle was worth the savings and it took all of about 5 minutes to put these on.

JUst make sure to let the glue dry a little before applying. I waited the required time stated in the directions, however I may have used a little too much glue on the right boot so it slid a bit as it dried and came out a little crooked. Not a big deal and I seem to be the only one who notices (I am bit of a perfectionist). Just worth mentioning so you all get the best results possible.

the toe caps are durable and the glue holds awesome. This was definitely $5 I paid as an add on item.
on December 28, 2014
I use these tips to extend the life of my nike cross trainer tennis shoes ( I don't like to wear boots in my field of work ) because I do flooring related work and the toes of my shoes are continuously dragging across rough concrete or against carpet backings on most days and a pair of shoes lasts me about 1 to 1.5 months before the toes are completely obliterated. ( yes I am extremely hard on footwear when I work ) and when I use these toe protectors I get about 3 to 4 months wear out of the toes on the same exact shoes. All in all it saves me at least 50 % or more on my shoe purchases over the course of a years time. A tip for installing the toe protectors. I follow the directions to the letter but I usually tape the protectors tightly to the shoes both directions after gluing and leave the tape on for 2 days before using the shoes and I have never had the glue fail me for the life of the shoe..
on January 9, 2015
They are difficult to install but have worked great ever since. Maybe my boots are more rounded at the toe than normal, but the protectors wanted to "flatten out" instead of hugging the toe even after holding all three "flaps" down for two or three minutes. I tried to use some duct tape on the second boot so I didn't have to sit there and hold it down and that seemed to create a tighter fit by the time the glue dried.

Everything provided is enough to install both. They've held up to a couple weeks of furniture moving and a short welding class; the real test will be walking around on a snow-covered scaffold in subfreezing temperatures.
on October 26, 2015
These probably work well. I couldnt get mine to ashear to my boot long enough to find out i followed the directions for application. Still couldnt get finally gave up on them. If you can get to stick probably would do well. Seemed like decent material.
on June 14, 2015
These are probably fine for steel toe boots, but they came off my non-steel toed boots within a few days. The glue was slow to dry and on brand new boots, even though they werent steel toed, the boot shape should have been enough pressure too make the protector stick easily with a couple of rubber bands, but it wasnt that easy. Decent price though.
on June 10, 2015
The cement used to adhere the protector to the boot does not work very well. I ended up using epoxy in the end. However, the price and the accessories included make this and excellent product. Will buy again for the original price of 3.99 as and add on. Bought brown.