5.0 out of 5 stars The best 6 ski capable rack out there.
Published on October 18, 2011 by John R. Fleming

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating
Published 18 months ago by B. Groveman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 6 ski capable rack out there., October 18, 2011
We recently purchased this for our 2010 Acadia. We previously had the 4 ski powderhound w/ locks and this is far superior and worth the price. Before that we had a Thule 6 ski holder. The main reason we upgraded is the 4 ski size Yakima realistically only fits 3 pairs of skis with how fat skis are these days. I usually bring more then 1 pair of skis when my wife and I go on skiing for a long weekend; 3 pairs of oversize skis BARELY fit on the 4 ski size.

Pros:
-everything is included in the box, I was a little unclear if the "universal" mounts are included or just that the rack works great with the universal mounts, they are included as are the hex bolts, the L wrench to install, and 2 locks, also ready to install
-the rack has a lift kit built in, which basically means, if you want to put a snowboard or skis with tall bindings face down, you can raise the rack on your crossbars and fit skis up but also down. This help when you want to put snowboards back to back.
-low profile design. We have noticed the rack doesn't "whistle" on the top of our car as badley as the powderhound 4 when there are no skis in the rack. We haven't actually had skis in it this year so I can't comment on the noise with skis/boards yet.

Cons:
-the universal mounts are nice in that they fit almost all car standard racks but they are a touch bulky for my liking. Not a deal breaker but I like racks that are nice and clean, with minimalistic extras.
-not the easiest to install, not difficult by any means, but do set aside 20 min or so to get the rack tight, the locks installed, and the spacing of your roof rails to adequatly have room for bindings. As in, don't plan on throwing the rack on morning of if you are anxious to hit the mountain on the first day of pow.
-doesn't truly fit 6 skis unless you are rocking some K2 4's that are 88 underfoot. Any skis purchashed post 2010 the rack will fit 5, but more realistically 4.

Overall: I think this is the best "6" ski size rack out there. At Amazon's price with mounts and locks included, and ready to rock right out of the box, this is the best deal out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Rack, February 5, 2010
I bought this rack becuase I wanted to be able to fit EVERYTHING on my roof. 4 boards, skis, mountaineering ski's which and snowboards at the same time... and snowboards with big bindings that require a raised racked option so they fit. This rack does it all. Easy to use, pretty easy to install, and no major issues.

I have had minor issues with locking and unlocking when I load the rack full, one time the locks jammed for several minutes before a buddy and I were able to unjam the lock with a little extra elbow grease (this was because we clamped the rack down too tight I think). Great Rack overall!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Customer Support, May 4, 2011
M. Chen "MC" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I have had a fatcat for 3 years and then recently there were some problems.

I had made contact with Yakima support and they solved my issues.
They stand by their products and will be sure that they fix any problems.

I like this design much better because it is more sleek and looks better on top of a car/suv.
Also it is fatter so it allows more surface area for grabbing boards.

Just their support alone is worth buying their products.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, January 29, 2013
This review is from: Yakima FatCat 6 w/ Locks (Sports)
While I like the look of it and the theoretical ability to hold 6 pairs of skis, this rack is not all it claims to be. Trying to mount this thing was a beast of a challenge, especially on a tall car or truck (in my case a Nissan Xterra). The allen wrench they provide you is less than useless to tighten the bolt that holds the rack to the mounts since you have to reach into a narrow opening to do so. And In the process I easily stripped one of the bolts.

Setting aside the frustration of mounting it, I then tried to put 3 standard pairs of skis on it. While you may be able to tightly fit the right 6 pairs of skis, you will never be able to close it. With only three I had to hang off the side of my car while holding onto the rack and bounce in order to get it to close all the way. In fear that it would pop open on the highway since the clasp is plastic I wanted to lock it closed. I nearly broke the key trying to do this and finally had to have someone turn the key while I once again hung from the ski rack. Even doing this I was only able to get one of the two locked before giving up. Thankfully it took less effort to unlock it, but still required quite a bit of pressure. After a day of skiing I once again had the same issue getting it closed, and I can only imagine how ridiculous I looked hanging off the side of my car and bouncing. I was once again only able to lock one of them, even with considerable help.

I suppose the pro's would be that it does give you quite a few mounting options and does appear as if it would mount to any roof rack. It is pretty sleek and I get no wind sound while driving. But if you have thick skis or have intentions of putting 6 pairs on at once, I would think twice...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, February 27, 2012
ExE122 (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
I just had this rack on a ski trip and it worked out great! It sits high enough that the bindings clear the roof of the car. The foam/rubber grips ensure that your equipment won't slide around, but they're soft enough that it won't damage or scuff anything up.

It's also quite easy to latch down. the latch catches at various depths (like a zip tie) so it works fine for single or back-to-back stacking. It seems to be very aerodynamic as well. The drive up was very windy, but there was no noise and I still got decent mileage.

I was able to carry two snowboards and two sets of skis without problem. I could have probably also stacked on another two snowboards if needed. I didn't end up using the lock, but that is a nice feature to have.

Installing this onto the car takes a little bit of work. It only took about 15-20 minutes, but it definitely isn't just a snap-n-go solution. The mounts did fit on the wide flat aero cross bars from a stock Subaru Forester without a problem. The included hardware is of a very good quality and everything held on tight.

Overall I'm very pleased with this. I think during the summer it would be good for holding fishing rods as well, so I hope to get plenty of use out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ski/snowboard mount out there, January 18, 2012
J. Stanger (NYC Metro Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yakima FatCat 6 w/ Locks (Sports)
Excellent piece of equipment. Fits a variety of crossbars from other manufacturers as well. Aerodynamic shape reduces wind noise.

Best installed with a second person. I did it by myself but wished I would have asked a friend or neighbor to help me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Easy, and Quiet, January 5, 2012
This is a great ski rack. It holds a families worth of fun , was easy to install, and is EASY to use. Also it is quiet on the highway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Satisfied, January 8, 2011
I bought this for a trip my roommates and I take every winter. We come from Tennessee so having our gear on the roof made the 20 hour drive much more comfortable. The FatCat 6 did everything I wanted it to and was completely silent the entire trip. I am 100% satisfied with this rack and would recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lowest Profile Rack pn the Market, January 14, 2014
This is a good rack but one of the two has an issue with the locking mechanism. So far I've only used for 2 snowboards, side by side, so it hasn't been put to a full load test (which with the locking mechanism issue I am not sure I'll test).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great racks!, October 20, 2013
Just a great set of racks. Pretty easy to mount after you get the hang of it and all you need is an Allen wrench. Although, I would not keep the Allen wrench inside the built in rack mount as it rusts. The locks were included and this was the best price I found. There is no wind noise that I can notice. I mounted 2 sets of skis and 2 snowboards, all back to back without using the riser feature but the snowboard bindings do touch the roof in this configuration.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›