5.0 out of 5 stars Now I Have Somewhere To Put My Wheel...
Okay, some people out there have the following complaints:
* It was too hard to put the wheel on,
* The safety knuckles make it impossible to put the wheel on,
* The retention device broke, and/or
* The mount spun around and dented my roof.

First, RTFM. It will make your life easier. After that:
* Push down on the wheel while...
Published on April 19, 2012 by John Orleans

3.0 out of 5 stars Secure rack, but has its downfalls
We used these wheel forks for an 800 mile drive with 2 bikes. A portion of the drive went through the mountains and through a bad thunderstorm with high winds. The bikes were a pretty high end road bike, and a mid-range mountain bike.

The positives:
--Easy to attach the rack to the car (thule rack)
--VERY secure. The wheels stayed attached, and never...
Published 2 months ago by Erin

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I Have Somewhere To Put My Wheel..., April 19, 2012
Okay, some people out there have the following complaints:
* It was too hard to put the wheel on,
* The safety knuckles make it impossible to put the wheel on,
* The retention device broke, and/or
* The mount spun around and dented my roof.

First, RTFM. It will make your life easier. After that:
* Push down on the wheel while closing the QR lever. I've seriously never had a problem doing this.
* On more than one occasion, I've seen the safety knuckles save some very expensive wheels. The QR levers screw in and out to adjust them. If you can't figure it out, visit your local bike shop.
* I've put wheels from 24" roadies to gnarly MTB setups to 700c disks on these. Never a broken retention device. Mine are mounted facing up because wheels tend to rotate backwards....
* Mount the wheel vertically, then rotate it back until it's gently touching the roof of your car. Because of the retention device, it won't scratch your paint.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yakima fork mount wheel holder, August 11, 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Yakima Wheel Fork Rooftop Fork Mount Wheel Holder (Sports)
Easy to install on rack and easy mount wheel in fork. Unless the clamps are really tight, it tends to tilt back on the roof. I may try to use shims made of old inner tube between the bar and the clamps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yakima front tire mount, August 16, 2012
This review is from: Yakima Wheel Fork Rooftop Fork Mount Wheel Holder (Sports)
I purchased two of these mounts for the sole purpose of freeing up more space in my Mini. I had read several reviews about them prior to my purchase so I knew what I was getting myself if for. If you are just cruising around town then the forks, when holding a wheel, will remain up right. However if you venture further up on your speedometer the racks will start to lean back. The wheels fits securely in the mount and I have no fear of it coming loose. Make sure that when you first place it in the mount that the tire sits right in the middle. If it is off just a bit the wind will start to shake the wheel side to side. I have enjoyed this product and use it almost daily.

3.0 out of 5 stars Secure rack, but has its downfalls, July 18, 2014

The positives:
--Easy to attach the rack to the car (thule rack)
--VERY secure. The wheels stayed attached, and never came lose, even on mountains and in high winds.
--Easy to attach the wheels. You just tighten the quick release levers and you're good to go.
--Rack can be tilted down (when wheels are not attached), although on a thule rack, they can only get to about 45 degrees. This is good for parking garages if you already have a tall car.

The negative:
--The rack did not stay upright. By midway through the drive, the wheels had tilted down so they were touching the roof. This isn't good for more expensive wheels, or the car roof, so we kept adjusting it at rest stops. There was no way to solve this problem on a Thule Rack--we tried tightening the bolts, positioning the mount differently, everything we could think of.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for 29er bike wheels, December 22, 2011
This review is from: Yakima Wheel Fork Rooftop Fork Mount Wheel Holder (Sports)
This is a great concept, and I really wanted to love it, in fact I still have it on my subaru with my Copperhead Fork mounts just incase I can figure a better way of using it. . . That being said. The first time on the road with this tire mount, I was going down the highway around 70 mph and heard a loud thud on my roof. Scared part of the rack ripped off, I exited the highway to see if there was any damage. No damage, but no tire upright anymore either. The mount had shifted over and landed on the roof, still attached, but rubbing the roof... I tried what others have said and added some electrical tape under the mount before using it so it does "turn", and I tightened the nuts till they seemed too tight. The problem still existed. With the weight of my 29er MTB X-Country bike tire, it simply can not live up to it's need. Fortunately I have another bike with a 700cc road tire that weighs 1/3rd, almost 1/4th, compared to my 29er. The rack should work for it, but I'm still nervous to bring it back on the highway, under 50mph with the road bike tire is OK. Over 50 is yet to be deteremined. Under 45mph with a 29er seemed to be fine, but I was on the highway for no more than 2 - 3 miles before having to exit! So buyer beware. Also - there is no lock, no SkS Lock, notta. A simple wrench could steal the mount off with your tire. So take it with you for the night when traveling, or lock it in your vehical after. On a nice note, it does lay nice and flat while not in use, and match my yakima rack and rail system beautifully. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, April 10, 2014
This review is from: Yakima Wheel Fork Rooftop Fork Mount Wheel Holder (Sports)
I purchased this product to install on a Pickup truck home made rake in the bed of the truck, it was super easy to install, didnt have to use all the pieces, it looks great and matches my expectation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep your trunk free, August 12, 2013
This review is from: Yakima Wheel Fork Rooftop Fork Mount Wheel Holder (Sports)
I've been using a Yakima roof rack for 10 years, but put the front wheel inside the trunk. I was taking a family vacation recently with two road bikes and four people for a week. Needless to say, the wheels would not fit in the trunk with all the luggage. I purchased two of these and they worked great. I took the advice of others and bungee corded down the wheel so it wouldn't spin and wouldn't fall off it came free. A friend of mine lost a wheel at 80 mph on the express way when it came free. He now has a new front wheel. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Thule-shaped bars, June 16, 2013
Bob LaBlaw (Yellow Springs, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yakima Wheel Fork Rooftop Fork Mount Wheel Holder (Sports)
I've used this for 29" MTB wheels, 650 and 700 road wheels, and 26" MTB wheels, disc and rim brakes, with no problems. I had to make some modifications for the 29" wheel - the plastic tab needs to come out for this to work. To prevent spinning, try using a very small bungee cord. This does not move on the bar when using Thule bars, vs the round yakima bars.

This will not work with fat tire wheels (mine is a 29x4" tire). I did buy a second fork to do this, but had to heavily modify it. Basically, i took the fork and cut it in half, between the two mounting holes. Then, welded a piece of metal to make the whole thing wide enough to hold the 135mm hub of the fat tire wheel.

The biggest downside, which I can deal with, is that on the Thule bars, the mount does not rotate down when not in use. It makes a lot of noise on the road when there is no wheel in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, June 30, 2011
Works just as expected, mounts easily to Yakima rack. I have 650C wheels and it works fine with that as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can easily be used without the "anti-spin device", July 30, 2014
This review is from: Yakima Wheel Fork Rooftop Fork Mount Wheel Holder (Sports)
Stronger than another brand I purchased recently. Can easily be used without the "anti-spin device"

Rate and Discover Movies