4.0 out of 5 stars For When You Want to Aim for the Ice
I bought these so I can continue my training for half marathons, even in Tahoe's Winter Wonderland.

Published 23 months ago by T. Ralph

1.0 out of 5 stars Teerrible Design
Published 11 months ago by James Warner

4.0 out of 5 stars For When You Want to Aim for the Ice, January 22, 2013
T. Ralph (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yaktrax Run Traction Cleats for Snow and Ice (Sports)

First off, 4 stars because while the metal spikes are advertised as "removable," they're a pain to remove. It's very easy to break one of the thin rubber loops securing them to the shoe when you attempt to remove them. Removing or putting in the spikes is definitely not something you can do quick before dashing out the door.

Other than that, I give these 5 stars. I've successfully run multiple times on the rolling hills in my neighborhood in varying conditions of ice and snow. My favorite runs with these are the ones where the roads are packed snow over ice, but I've run on solid clear ice and mixes of half-melted ice. These cleats give a good landing surface for mid-foot runners (barefoot running ftw) and give a satisfying crunch when they dig into the snow and ice. They also leave interesting tracks all over my neighborhood :D

On hills, the spikes in the toe help give that extra bit of traction when going up, while the chains on the heel and the mid-foot spikes help with the descent. I've jogged in the YakTrax Pros before and I definitely feel more comfortable on these for real running on all kinds of icy conditions.

I wear a women's size 9.5 and I got the small size. My shoes are the Altra Intuition, which have a wider toe than most running shoes and these fit nicely over it.

5.0 out of 5 stars BIG improvement over previous models -- winter runner rejoice!, January 27, 2013
"Spikes" on the forefoot aid traction and promote excellent stability - ice, snow and pavement - I have NO worries on my runs (except cold LOL). These are better (much) than the prior generation with coils on the back and front - others in my run group have these and I just motored. Also the forefoot strap doesn't slide through and once secure - no problem... my long run is 10m and these didn't shift... not one bit.

NOTE - pay attention to the size chart - I have a 11,5 and went with the medium (was at the transition) and I'm happy with my choice -- they fit large.

Run safe - stay upright... love my new Yaktrax!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, January 4, 2013
i decided to embrace the MN winters this year so I bought the yaktrax run. They work great on the stiff, solid snow with traction. If the snow is somewhat soft, it still feels like you are running in sand. But definitely helps on the ice and hard packed snow. Easy to put on over your shoes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Traction like a mountain goat!, February 17, 2013
Worked great in the only Chicago ice storm of the year. I had the streets to myself. Like the title says, I felt like I had the traction of a billy goat. Love 'em.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more of the old excuses not to run... but a new excuse surfaces, January 25, 2014
This review is from: Yaktrax Run Traction Cleats for Snow and Ice (Sports)
Tired of waiting out the unusually cold and snowy PA winter of 2013-2014, and hating treadmills, I broke down and bought Yaktrax run model. They came highly recommended from my crazy WV mountain runner friend, so I expected good things from them. My first run with these was a night run in 1 degree F snowy conditions, on roads/trails.

Here's the deal: they work perfectly on snow/ice, especially on hard-pack snow. I have never slipped with these on. They allow you to run naturally, even with minimalist shoes like my Newtons. They never came off the toes, as I've read in some reviews (I have a 9.5 men's show and use the medium Yaktrax).

The only thing you need to worry about is if you run roads/sidewalks where most people shovel... but of course not everyone does. You will find yourself running sometimes with these on on cleared concrete, which they recommend not doing. I do not know how durable the carbide spikes on the forefoot will be, so I cringe when I'm running in these and there's no snow now! At the same time, when some of my running path is clear but some is snowy/icy, I'd rather have the Yaktrax on than not.

So, that's my only real caveat. As I type this, it's snowing here, and I'm hoping we get 1+ inches today so I can strap these on and run in the snow knowing that all or mostly all of my path will be covered in fresh snow.

1.0 out of 5 stars Teerrible Design, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Yaktrax Run Traction Cleats for Snow and Ice (Sports)
I Really wanted to like these. I have run in Yaktrax Pros and loved them. As soon as I got the Run version, I went out for a 5 mile flat trail run entirely on packed snow and ice. After a mile or so I noticed that my left forefoot was slipping just a little, so I checked the fit. Nothing amiss. But the slight slipping happened for the entire run. When I got home I found that I had lost the right one. The straps didn't seem to be genuine velcro, and just didn't hold. The revealing thing about the slipping I'd been experiencing during the run was that the bare shoe that the Yaktrax had fallen off got better traction than the shoe with the Yaktrax still on. The forefoot plastic that the teensy little spikes are on is slippery. Furthermore, a couple of the little spikes on the one that had stayed on were bent. I had run only on packed snow and ice--no road at all.

I contacted Yaktrax and they wouldn't refund my money since I hadn't bought it from them directly, but they sent me a free pair of the Pros--which I already knew are GREAT. I'd mistakenly thought the Runs would be an improvement over the Pros--they are NOT. I notice that Amazon currently has a note about these that says this product is "Under Review." Stay away. Get the Pros. If you think you need something more than the Pros, get the Kahtoola Microspikes, which I think securely handle more radical conditions and terrain than the Yaktrax Pros, but are MUCH heavier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleats already bent, December 14, 2013
Marc Duval (Fort Huachuca, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
The Yaktrax offer a good amount of traction in icy conditions, but one of the carbide studs have already bent, and I have only run about 10 miles in them.

2.0 out of 5 stars The size is the thing..., September 24, 2013
Sizing information available online was poor. Had to return them before using because they were too big. Simply copying the info on the side of the box or including a picture of the box would have helped - there is a sizing chart there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as regular YakTrax, April 10, 2014
I use these for dog-walking in a hilly neighborhood in the snowy winters of the Northeast here in America.

I don't like these nearly as much as the "regular" YakTrax (which I'm a huge fan of) that lack metal pegs. The metal pegs don't give much extra traction on ice, and compared to regular YakTrax you actually get less traction on snow since the "snowshoe" portion is smaller.

Don't get me wrong - these are a huge upgrade from wearing nothing but regular shoes, but compared to the standard YakTrax they actually feel like a downgrade.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, January 12, 2013
I bought these to go running when it's icy on the sidewalks. The first day I wore these, one of the rubber straps on the bottom broke, making these useless. I've run in Yaktrax pros before without a problem. These are marketed for running, but do not hold up. Save your money.