Yakuza Dead Souls
Price:$12.37 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 12, 2012
The Yakuza series is so under appreciated here in the states. They are always fun and harken back to the good old NES days of River City Ransom and Double Dragon. Dead Souls is a little different but still a must buy, especially if you want to see the epic Yakuza 5 here in the states.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 7, 2013
Verified Purchase
I usually don't like shooting games but I have always been a fan of the yakuza series and it was very cheap so I had to try it out. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the shooting actually felt like it enhanced the game play and it's an all around good game. SEGA HAS SAID that they might bring yakuza 5 over if people bought a number of this and the other latest yakuza game 4 so support them. If your going to get any of them get 4 And this
on December 5, 2013
Verified Purchase
I never played any of the yakuza games, because I'm waiting for them to drop on the price as I finish other games I have. But I bought this because of the price and because I also wanted to play a zombie game, which I also never had. Was pleasently surprised, this game has grat music, graphics are good, and the fun is incredible, each unique weapon for each yakuza makes it even more enjoyable.
on November 21, 2013
Verified Purchase
This was exactly what I expected, it was delivered on time, and i would recommend to a friend. I like using these used games a great value
on October 19, 2013
Verified Purchase
It's like yakuza resident evil. Complete with boss fights and mutant monsters. And the story also sorta makes sense and could be cannon.
on July 2, 2013
Verified Purchase
I've always loved the Yakuza series and since they added zombies, I couldn't be happier. The storyline is great along with the side missions and mini-games. Now I can sing in the Karaoke bar before going off to kill a few dozen zombies.
Verified Purchase
Obviously while Sega has their own zombie series House of the Dead this game takes it an a more unique asian mobster style of gameplay which is surprisingly very entertaining. Of course the game was a nice collection for fans of the Yakuza game series and if you haven't played any of those I'd advise checking a few of those enjoyable games out. The game is a mix of exploration/fighting/shooting also the audio voice cast is only in Japanese which while expected may annoy others who dislike having to read subtitles unless you understand Japanese.The graphics are very good though don't expect great detail like with The Last Of Us or Remember Me.

So if you're looking for an entertaining Zombie action game that doesn't rely on just shooting and running to the next wav point here's one that's worth trying out.
on June 15, 2013
Verified Purchase
Yakuza Dead Souls (YDS) is an action RPG that has a ton of zombies, minigames, substories and cutscenes. You could easily sink more than 100 hours into this game before finally beating it, so you will definitely get your money's worth. YDS is not a part of the main Yakuza series. You can play and enjoy this game just fine without having played the other games in the series before, but you might not understand several of the in-game references and inside jokes. Most of the inside jokes and references seem to come from Yakuza 4.

YDS is divided into five chapters. The first four chapters focus on one particular character (Akiyama, Majima, Goda and Kiryu). The final chapter involves Kiryu with Goda fighting as a sidekick. If you fail to complete all the substories for a particular character during his chapter, you have to beat the game and then switch characters during the Premium Adventure mode. During each chapter, you will encounter several characters who are willing to fight alongside you. These characters can be trained at "Gary's Boot Camp," where they can learn special abilities and augments.

The main reason why this game is different from other Yakuza titles is the combat. Almost all combat in this game involves shooting zombies, blowing up zombies, burning zombies, impaling zombies, or blasting zombies with water. I literally killed more than 30,000 zombies in my first playthrough (on hard mode). Zombies are everywhere and often overwhelm your characters. It's fun finding new ways to kill them, but after killing the first 5000 zombies, it doesn't seem as much fun as beating up waves of actual Yakuza thugs like in Yakuza 3 and 4. But it's still fun.

You'll be able to use a ton of weapons in this game, including Gatling guns, sniper rifles, sub-machine guns, assault rifles, shotguns, pistols, small handguns and grenade launchers. Kamiyama, the stuttering equipment modder, is back. Unlike in earlier Yakuza games, you'll really want to take advantage of his upgrades here. You need all the firepower you can get in YDS. Part of the fun is switching weapons to take out zombies at long range and switching again to mow down large groups of zombies in close combat.

YDS also has the hostess substories. Once you successfully romance a hostess, you can fight with her. Be advised that you need to download add-on packs from the PlayStation Store (it's free) in order for them to have access to the best weapons. Each main character also has about 15 substories to complete--some of which are quite hilarious.

Again, this game is a lot of fun to play. But you need to consider these downsides:

1. There can be considerable slowdown if too many zombies get on the screen at once.
2. Some of the stories are repetitious. Several, for example, involve rescuing people and leading them out of the zombie area.
3. The zombies and mutants appear in the same places almost every time, thus making the game too predictable.
4. It can be a little too difficult to use the snipe gauge because the timer expires so quickly.
5. The subterranea manholes are very long and repetitious. Kiryu's mission has 30 floors, for example.
6. It can be very difficult training your partners at Gary's Boot Camp because the AI is a little too good.
7. The storyline is okay, but it's a bit of a letdown from Yakuza 3 and 4.
8. You will often find yourself dropping items to pick up fallen loot because your inventory fills up too fast.
9. The hostess missions can get a bit aggravating, especially since you have to do A LOT of hiking to get to one of the two clubs.
10. Several of your sidekicks will not pull their own weight, thus making it harder to develop them.
11. Loading times are a bit more conspicuous in this game, particularly when entering and exiting areas in the quarantine/zombie area.
12. The chase sequences can be quite difficult. Also, the controls do not seem as responsive during these sequences.

This game has enough alcohol, cigarettes, guns, ammo, blood, and violence to satisfy anyone's need for a hack-and-slack thriller. It's a lot of fun and will definitely keep you occupied. It's quite different from other Yakuza games, but it is still a lot of fun. And at about $15, you will definitely get your money's worth. Just remember, this is NOT a game for children.
on May 1, 2013
I'll keep it short and simple. I loved the hell out of this game, by the time I reached the end I had about 35 hours of play time, and even that was just because I forgot to do about half of the sub stories. Once you beat the game, you get a chance to do all the things you missed, plus do a NG+ mode. There are four playable characters who each get their own missions, weapons, etc. Just be careful, once you finish and switch to the next character (you'll know because you'll fight a boss at the end of each fourth chapter), you won't be able to do anything as that character till you beat the game.

The combat is a bit simple and repeatative, just like in the first Dead Rising, and there's a lot of RPG grinding to get weapon parts / money, but that's only a problem if you aren't a fan of RPG gameplay. I myself love to relax and watch videos on my laptop while I go around grinding.

The game surprisingly has a very good story, even for people who are new to Yakuza. All four characters are very likable and interesting, while still having their own personalities and unique looks. The game does not have an English dub, but I think it's better off for it, it feels more genuine. Just be ready to read a lot.

I am very surprised at how much I like this game. I'm still gonna play it for a while and unlock all the things I missed.
on April 27, 2013
Verified Purchase
It's freaking Yakuza. Enough said. Needless to say i will be doing a long game session on this game. I wonder if I will sleep.