5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of AVR for the price
Published on January 15, 2011 by E. Murray

3.0 out of 5 stars On screen volume ANNOYING
The receiver so far has been excellent except one thing: the volume appears on screen when you adjust it and you can't turn this "feature" off. Who thought it would be a good idea to put the volume information on screen in the first place? I can read the front of the receiver fine. and secondly, who decided that you couldn't turn this off??????? I called tech support...
Published on March 30, 2011 by K.B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of AVR for the price, January 15, 2011
E. Murray (Holly Springs, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha RX-A800 7.1-Channel Audio/Video Receiver (OLD VERSION) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
We had poor man's home theater by coming off the back of a Samsung BD player into two analog audio systems and out to 4 speakers. Brought the classy-looking A800 home and tossed away many RCA cables, all audio components and then did a simple HDMI-in for the sources, all within 15 minutes. Connected all 5 speaker cables and tuner antennas and powered up. OSD menu was a breeze... added our 5 speakers -- told it 'no Sub' so it uses our full-range fronts for LF, and next input the measurements to the speakers, and we were immediately up enjoying movies and games. Didn't even bother with the YPAO, but you can use that mic to auto-setup your speakers for your sweet-spot viewing/listening position. Tuner presets were automatic and it's easy to use. The quick buttons on the face are awesome for skipping fiddling with remote(s) to get started. Sony motion-flow on the Bravia still worked with the through 1080p signals. A great feature is having all the smart buttons on the remote -- change surround processing, jump to sources, pop-up the OSD for changes at any time, make it your universal, etc.

With my Panamax power conditioner, Transparent Audio speaker cables, an Arcam Alpha9 CDP, and my trusty Boston Acoustics tower speakers, I'll soon be able to better rate the audio, but in listening to non-audiophile sources, I could get a sense of the good SN ratio, dynamic range and we found it very easy listening at moderate levels for long periods -- didn't feel we needed to drop the volume due to complex sections in music or suspense building in movies.

My comparisons included similar line models of Denon, Pioneer, Marantz and Sony. My decision was based on listening to audio, using remotes, lifting the units, and the included features for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great receiver!!, February 2, 2011
CL "-C" (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
So I've had my RX-A800 for a few months now, and I can say that I am fully satisfied with it!

I've got it wired to my 5.1 system, main LR speakers are bi-amped, too. I've got it hooked up to my TV, PS3, cable-box DVR, Nintendo, and my computer on occasion. Handles everything like a champ.

Everything sounds great, but more than that, I love how it handles the video, as well. Makes everything so simple to wire, especially with HDMI. I can't say that the video-upscaling has really "wow"ed me, but I have no complaints about it, either (the Nintendo is the only non-HD device I have!).

Likes:
-HD Radio! Cool!
-"Scene" buttons... instead of powering on, switching through all the inputs, just press "TV" or "BD/DVD" or "Radio" and it'll take you directly to that input, and set it to your preferred sound program (7.1, 2.1, etc).
-On-screen display ... makes adjusting and fine-tuning the sound super easy, plus displays all the RDS radio tags for songs, etc.
-Really good price compared to other units (including other Yamaha's!)
-Works well with Harmony One remote

"Dislikes":
-I know this is reaching, but I think there are too many different sound-modes. "Concert Hall Vienna" or "Concert Hall Munich" or "Cellar Club" or "Roxy Theater" ... they all just sound extra reverby to me, and I prefer a clean, straight-from-the-recording sound, so I don't use them.
-Bluetooth, iPod, and Sirius Radio adapters all cost extra.
-The FM antenna needs an upgrade (it's just a loose wire).

I highly recommend the RX-A800. Sure, the A1000 (or +) is probably even better, but that small step up would have been a large step up in price for me, so I'm happy with my purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars This receiver does everything!, January 8, 2011
I had a Denon 3800 reciever prior to replacing it with this yamaha. I bought a projector for my family room (still have plasma) so I wanted to upgrade to an av receiver that had two hdmi outputs for my tv and projector. I did moved from a $1200 130wt/ch Denon receiver to this $750 95wt/ch Yamaha. I can tell the power difference, Running 7 klipsch reference speakers, but not too bad. The receiver seems to do everything. Two hdmi outputs a. A must if you have a projector and tv, it's great to be able to do all the switching through the receiver. Also the hdmi pass through is great for being able to watch tv without the receiver. It has four scene buttons for DVD,TV,CD,Radio. These are great for the wife, very simple. You can set up all the settings (video/sound source, processor, speaker set up Etc) and save to the scene, then she just needs to push the button and not be intimidated by the receiver. A problem I had with my Denon setup. Btw, to this day I haven't found it in the manual, so after you set it up, press and hold the scene button on the remote to save the settings. I had to call Yamaha to see if it was possible. All the hdmi,av,audio, etc inputs are programable as well.

Sound is great, although I'd give the edge to the Denon, but I think that was more due to the higher wattage. The auto speaker setup is great, set the mic in your sitting area and push a button, very simple. If you use component video, you only have two inputs, so if you need more you need to step to the next level, which is a bit more money, but everything is going hdmi. I bought the iPod dock for it has a great interface and is viewable on the tv.

The only gripe I have, and I do reluctantly because I never understood why someone would complain about this if the product was good, but the manual is very difficult to find anything. It wastes too many pages on the stupid no brained stuff and completely misses the custom setup stuff. It took me a good week to get it fully setup how I wanted and two calls to Yamaha. I knew it did things from the ads, but the dedfault setting had them off and I couldn't find thein the manual or took way too long to search (scene program, 6.1 vs. 7.1 setup, hdmi pass through). Once you know how it's a simple menu or keystroke, but not intuitive.

But manual and complexity of set up, I'd recommend it to anyone. I guess the complexity is worth it to have it's flexibility of total control of buttons, inputs and outputs. Geat rreciever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Receiver without all the bells and whistles of more expensive receivers, November 30, 2011
I have got to love Yamaha products and this is the best Receiver I have ever had (I have owned a Yamaha HTR and a Samsung).

I think the main reason you will find it at almost half the price on the web is because it lacks internet connectivity and air play; however, if you are not concerned about this extra features, this is the best Receiver you can find for the money. And if you are still concerned about internet connectivity and/or Airplay, you can just buy and Apple TV for about $100 and hook it up to one of the 6 HDMI connectors available at this Receiver.

I do not see a reason to pay more than double for other comparable Yamaha receivers just to get internet connectivity and/or Airplay.

5.0 out of 5 stars A $300 AV Pre-amp/Surround Processor, November 25, 2011
I was looking for an AV receiver to replace my 9 year old Yamaha RX-V1 - Yamaha's flagship receiver in 2001. I was happy with the RX-V1 (I still am) but I felt I was missing out on the new lossless HD sound (ie, DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD) when I watch movies or concerts on Blu-ray. I tried using the RX-V1's multi-channel analog inputs with my blu-ray player's analog outs to enjoy lossless HD audio but eventually felt that the soundstage was just not there. I thought of getting a new receiver but I did not want to let go of my RX-V1 also, I do not want to spend a fortune on another receiver (I already had 4 AV receivers).
Since I have a 5-channel power amplifier that I am not using - the Sony TA-N9000ES - I thought of getting a mid-level lightweight AV receiver that I can use as an AV pre-amp/surround processor. To this end, I chose last year's 25-lb Yamaha RX-A800 Aventage AV Receiver and paired it with my 53-lb Sony TA-9000ES Power Amplifier. And they drove my 8.2 Paradigm Reference Speaker system like my beloved 62-lb Yamaha RX-V1. I totally love my new receiver, especially its YPAO feature (it's a Yamaha!). I couldn't believe that for $308, my audio system is back in the big league. Because of this perceived improvement in sound quality, I felt that my 5 year old Sanyo PLV-Z4 720P LCD Projector was now lagging in the picture department. To this end, I replaced it with the unbelievably amazing Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 1080P LCD Projector.
But, this does not mean that my Yamaha RX-V1 is now retired. I moved it upstairs (with the help of my 20-year-old son, of course), in my HDTV-based secondary system in the family room. Like I said, I am still happy with it.
Addendum (Sep 22, 2012): I just upgraded my speaker system to 9.2 (7.1 plus 2 height speakers and an additional identical 12" subwoofer). The result is sensational! I am now on the hunt for blu-rays with 7.1 audio. I can only imagine when Dolby Atmos hits the home video/consumer arena.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha RX-A800 A/V Reciever, October 29, 2011
This product is a winner & exactly what I wanted. I replaced an Onkyo receiver which I had for 5 months out of it's 2 year warranty. Bummer. By comparison, the Yamaha was easy to set up, operate & has a great sound. I listen to am/fm radio, cd's, watch tv & blu-ray thru this unit. It has many sound options to cover my listening choices. Amazon's price made this a very good value & I would recommend this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelente receiver, December 24, 2012
Easy to use, with very good sound balance between power and sound quality. maximum connectivity with all my electronic devices. in short a purchase extremely justified.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good AV Receiver, March 8, 2012
I replaced my older yamaha AV with this one because i needed HDMI. I am satisfied with it. My only gripe is that I should have gotten the one with the streaming services and airplay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Receiver Really Wakes Up My Home Theatre!, December 22, 2011
I recently started upgrading my home theatre. First I started with the TV. I was looking for the one with the best picture in a 60" I started looking at LED's but wound up with a plasma. I really did not care for 3D but it seems that all of the top TV's came with it. So with that in mind I decided to upgrade my Blu Ray to 3D. So that everything would work as intended I needed to upgrade the receiver. I had a real nice Denon receiver but it does not have 3D. So I went looking for a reasonable priced receiver that offered 3D. I have another older receiver that is a Yamaha and was always happy with the sound that it puts out. I came across the RX-A800. It offered everything I was looking for such as: 7.1 audio, 3D video, easy hook up and thumping sound! It has all the power I need to wake up my Polk Audio tower speakers, center channel speaker, rear channel speakers and sub. To hook all of this up it only took 3 high speed HDMI cables and the normal speaker wire for each speaker. I just watched Iron Man 2 and the whole room shook and vibrated! That was only 1/2 volume. I was lucky enough to get it on sale before they sold out at a great price delivered to my front door. Amazon Rocks! One last note. I bought all of my cables from MyCableMart.com I bought 3 of their HDMI Extreme cables shipped for about $54 bucks. They are as good as the one Cinnamon cable I bought from Best Buy which cost a little over $100. Hard to believe but I got 3 cables for half of what the one cost. Needless to say I returned the one to Best Buy. Hope this helps you cannot go wrong with Yamaha!

UPDATE: For buying the Panasonic 3D Blu Ray Player they sent me a Avatar 3D Blu Ray disc. I watched it last night. WOW!!! I did not think I would be that impressed with the 3D feature. Boy was I wrong. It had me ducking more than once. So glad I have this set up. In the future I will be buying all of my action/special effects movies in 3D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great receiver for the price, November 25, 2011
I upgraded from a Yamaha receiver that was about 6 years old that was great, however did not have HDMI support. I was able to get rid of soooo much excess wiring and simplify all cabling, etc. The new Yamaha receiver was a very simple set up, and I LOVE it. :)