4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the confusing new world of home theater settings.
Published on November 16, 2012 by HD Hockey Guy

1.0 out of 5 stars It's a Brick
Published 14 months ago by Robert K Vernot

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the confusing new world of home theater settings., November 16, 2012
This review is from: Yamaha RX-V573 7.1-Channel Network AV Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Had it about a week now and played with it for a couple of hours each night tweaking the settings and trying out various streaming music, tv shows and HD movies. This was a replacement for an Onkyo HTIB system that was 7.1 also, but did not have HDMI switching or DTS-HD/DD-TrueHD abilities. Thus far I can say I really like the basic function of the amp and the SCENE feature.

Pros:
-Near future proof with 4k passthrough
-Every codec known to mankind (including DSD for SACD* Bonus)
-Power off HDMI switching (very useful if you listen to audio through the tv speakers sometimes like I do when wife is sleeping. Extra bonus is the audio does not pass through to the TV speakers while the AVR is ON, but automatically does once it's turned off. This means you don't have to mute the TV while you have the home theater system on and then turn up the volume after you turn it off)
-Options Galore including an 8-band frequency adjustment on every channel independently which means you can tonal match different brands of speakers or compensate for a lacking speaker like I had with a muddy center channel.
-App for mobile devices. I used the iPad app and found several settings much easier than using the standard on-screen menu.
-Network airplay. SUPER easy to stream music from the iPad or iPhone and the sound filtering works very well to get rid of that compressed sound of low bitrate MP3 audio.
-Setting for initial volume, max volume. No more turning on the amp after listening to that Saving Private Ryan DVD the night before and getting blasted across the room from Wolf Blitzer when you get home and turn on the system. It defaults to your preferred volume and you can set the max output so the kids can't blow your speakers while you're at work.

Cons:
-Confusing and near difficult to turn off all the extra 3D sound field, DSP and venue effects. Sometimes you just want to listen to things clean. Even if you turn off DSP in the menu, there are still sound field effects on. Enhancement, auto level, 3D field, DSP, etc... it's just a bit much to grasp out of the box if you're not a Yamaha customer previously. The iPad app REALLY helped me understand which did what and finally realize I wanted STRAIGHT and all the other stuff off to listen to the DTS-HD audio. The sound is good with all this stuff on although some settings sound worse than others depending on your input source (2 ch stereo, 5.1 surround, streaming audio, Blu Ray DTS-HD, etc...).
-On Screen Menu feels like playing an old DOS game in 16 color graphics. Update it to match the app Yamaha.
-Settings change every time you change input source. Seems that once you get things set the way you like, once I eject a Blu Ray from the BD Player and switch to streaming audio the sound field defaults back to some setting I don't want and I have to return it to the clean setting. Whether this is a permanent issue or a setting somewhere I'm not sure yet but it's annoying to have to tinker with things all the time.
-Remote layout. No backlighting or glow buttons? No color coding for main areas? My Onkyo remote gave you color coding so you could see where you were pressing at least in low light conditions and had glowing buttons for the main volume and inputs. And why would you put the main volume button right next to the scene buttons that change the input? I keep hitting the Radio input when I'm trying to turn up the volume during a movie. So fun.
-No auto switching to preferred setting per input type. Seems it would be easy to have a menu to set what sound settings you want when listening to a 2 ch stereo input, 5.1 DD input, 7.1 DTS-HD input, or streaming 2.0 PCM input and let the receiver do what you want.

That said, the pros far outweight the cons once you get a feel for things. The networked ability to stream home media servers and update the firmware is really nice and given the 4k passthrough, I'm not worried about getting left behind this time when something better comes along in a couple of years. The Zone B ability also means I can expand my setup in the future to control another room and use the app to control the AVR from another room.

The sound quality is very good and listening to a SACD with DSD decoding is so much easier than using the old connections on my Onkyo.

This feels like a big boy AVR rather than straight bells and whistles play to a price point. I lucked out with an open-box special for $150 less than retail that actually was a sealed box and mint so I feel even better than most, but that said I wouldn't feel bad now if I had paid full price. If you don't care for the network features or don't have 7.1 check out the 373 model. SUPER value for a 5.1 setup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for multi-zone and networking., December 29, 2012
I was looking for an in-expensive receiver that could function as a home theatre box, had airplay and could supply music to a second zone (my kitchen). This unit fits the bill and has plenty of power and networking capability. Other reviews on the web have commented on the bad remote and bad on screen menus. I'd agree but these aren't deal breakers. I came very close to returning the unit due to an issue with the second zone support. You can't independently alter the volume in each of the two zones. The single volume control raises and lowers in both zones. What you can do is setup an offset for your second zone to have it always louder or quieter than your main zone. After some experimenting I found that this worked OK. With the second zone configured, you end up with a 5.1 theatre system and two of the original 7.1 speakers for your second zone.

There is a IOS app for ipad/iphone that lets you control the receiver. It is adequate but not nearly as good as others I looked at like the Pioneer app. One complaint is you cannot turn zones on/off from the app. You have to use the remote.

Pros
- If unit turned off (in standby mode), hitting 'airplay' on my ipad fires up the receiver and music starts playing. Nice.
- IOS app is OK.
- Max volume setting so your wont accidently blow your eardrums when changing volume on iPhone.
- does not get hot (as I heard Pioneers do).

Cons
- No independent volume control for each zone (but can set a preference for relative level in second zone).
- Cannot turn zones on/off with app. Must use remote.
- found it awkward to wire speakers up.

This seems like the best out there I could find for price, multi-zone, networking and home theatre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great right out of the box., May 13, 2012
I am usually skeptical of first release technology (Airplay) on a newly released product. I waited almost a month before I found this item in stock after the pre-release press. After hooking the device up to my network, and connecting the 7 speakers, I had the Yamaha app downloaded and running airplay in less than 5 minutes. My Android, IPOD Touch, and IPAD2 all worked without any issues. I have the receiver in a media room with 7 speakers and it beats the Dennon hands down. I have had two Dennons and both were plagued with problems and I will never buy another. I can control this device from anywhere in the house (as long as I am withing WI-FI connect).

The only downside I see so far, is the device does not support Pandora for music streaming, but I can use an IPOD touch on a different AV source to solve the Pandora streaming. Not all the remote functions work with the app but the major items such as inputs, sound selection, work great.

Also, I see that the receiver already has a new firmware available, but I am not going to download the firmware until I find a problem that needs to be fixed.

I know its only been 1 week, but so far, I am impressed and plan to order a second receiver. I will follow-up on this review if I have any future issues or problems since it has only been 1 week.

In my opinion, this is the best network receiver, with smartphone app remote, airplay, and 7.1 sound for the money. The Polk speakers and Polk sub with this receiver make the media room thump!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha is a great choice for basic home theater solutions, March 18, 2013
M. Devlin (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I currently own the Yamaha RX-V471BL 5.1-Channel AV Receiver, and I just purchased the RX-V573 today. I selected the original Yamaha after several hours of research into features, quality, price, and customer service (that last one is of particular importance to me).

I would highly recommend the Yamaha line of home theater systems.

I am not going to say this competes with higher-end systems as it is not intended to, but what I will say after owning three Samsung home theater systems, Yamaha delivers a much more reliable and intuitive home theater experience - and MUCH better customer service.

No, the On-screen display isn't fancy, but it is very functional, and beats the heck out of trying to read the gibberish on the front panel of most home theater units.

It integrated very well with my Sony blu-ray player, Samsung HDTV, Xbox 360, and both the Scientific Atlanta and Samsung Cable DVRs. Having 4 HDMI inputs is very nice.

It is intuitive to use, easy to set up, reliable (I have had the older unit for almost 2 years with no issues, while two of my Samsungs went belly-up shortly after the warranty expired -- and Samsung would not do anything except give me the names and addresses of repair places for which I would be out the expense), and the sound quality is very good.

Another very nice feature that is not mentioned anywhere is a headphone jack. Surprisingly, not many home theater systems have this feature. No, you probably won't connect headphones directly to this, but you may just want to connect a bluetooth transmitter (i.e. [...] ) to this so you can use a bluetooth headset to listen to the audio. This is a great feature that we use while we are running on the treadmill early in the morning or watching tv late at night.

BTW - I would also like to suggest the purchase of a Logitech Harmony remote to compliment this item. It gracefully combines the functions of all of your remotes with an easy to use web interface and USB cable (instead of using the codes to program a remote).
I was able to purchase the 300 model ([...]) for under $30 (gotta keep an eye on the price as it is currently at $59).

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly spectacular receiver., March 7, 2013
Some background on myself. I'm a Nashville trained Audio Engineer with 12 years experience in both live audio and studio tracking/mixing. I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to the output quality of my home systems.

I bought this to replace a brand new Onkyo HT-RC460 which had a failed HDMI card within two weeks of ownership. Talk about a blessing in disguise!

The Onkyo was an okay replacement for our standard living room setup. This was not going to be for my home theater, but this Yamaha receiver sounds spectacular. The By far the best I've tested in this range. I've had a $1200 Denon in the past and this thing blows it away. How Yamaha has managed this is beyond me. It just seems to have more punch and clarity than Onkyo's or any other brand's offerings in this range. It is also extremely easy to setup and customize.

I have heard some grumbling over the interface and it's block style text. Let me just say I'm coming from Onkyo's gorgeous interface which was great, but lacked a lot of features. The Yamaha block system is fast, straightforward, and lets you customize to a much high degree of detail. It's a vastly superior system. After using it for a few days, I much prefer it to the "pretty" interfaces that Onkyo and others offer.

The iOS remote app is almost perfect. It's smooth, fast, does what it's supposed to and doesn't crash! Yamaha has really put some time into this one. Even more so with the iPad version. It is visually stunning and more than makes up for any lack of beauty in the onscreen UI. The only drawback to the iOS App is that it only gives you the ability to adjust treble & bass. The onscreen interface allows you to adjust specific bands and each speaker, but maybe Yamaha will add that via an update in the future(fingers crossed!)

It's going to be really difficult to not pick up another one of these to replace the Sony unit in my theater.

I highly recommend the Yamaha RX-V573!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality and Reliability, March 24, 2013
After the retirement of my 1994 SONY GX900ES after some loud parties, I was determined to get a receiver that would last as long. There is a wide selection of full featured receivers all of which I suspect have decent sound qualities. But, most have numerous reviews concerning defects.

Two things stood out with the YAMAHA RX-V573: 1: It didn't have a visually well developed on-screen interface; 2: RELIABILITY seemed very good. Sacrificing the visually pleasing on-screen interface for YAMAHA quality was a clear choice.

There were some comments in reviews that the remote is hard to understand and use. I find it very useful and convenient. I also like the controls on the face of the unit. Overall, the unit has a high quality feel and appearance.

The simple YAMAHA on-screen interface is certainly effective and does all that's needed IMO. The overall quality and numerous up-to-date features (listed in the Amazon product description) are excellent. I am very happy with the purchase. Shipping took a little longer than Amazon's usual, but the order was combined with something rare that probably slowed processing. Regardless, Amazon has ALWAYS been excellent in all my purchases and related issues.

In my search for a new receiver, I noticed many reviews commented on different sound quality of various receivers. It's hard to compare without going to a showroom. But, I can say that the RX-V573 couldn't sound better IMO. I "think" it sounds better than my old SONY 900ES which is an excellent receiver that still sells for $250 - $350 on ebay.

I'm using an iPod Classic with Infinity Crescendo 3006 shelf speakers (in cabinets 6' above the floor) and Polk RM6751 satellites on channel "B" on the floor (to fill the wall out) with a separate 10" subwoofer on the floor. The sound is incredible. Completely full, and extremely clear and discriminating. I am sure the YAMAHA RX-V573 has a lot to do with the outstanding sound.

A few things that nail down accuracy, which the RX-V573 achieves amazingly well:

These all sound eerily real..... completely lifelike....

Classical piano solo
Spoken voice
Pink Floyd's jingling coins on "Money"
and.... Karen Carpenter's voice (the sweetest sound I've ever heard while not even being a fan of the genre)

Most all else doesn't really require a whole lot of accuracy... Clash, Metalica, Foo Fighters, Gaga, country, AC/DC, dance music, Latin music, etc,... all sound good as long as they can get loud without distortion.... which the YAMAHA RX-V573 also does extremely well.

With the sound and function of the RX-V573, and the reviews establishing trouble-free surround sound, networking, WIFI connection, set-up, RELIABILITY, etc.... I feel very confident in my purchase. And... power is also very important in getting good sound at normal volume. At normal volume, the amp is not even coming close to distorting and has a very low S/N ratio.

The RX-V573 is an extremely good quality and reliability choice. Nobody wants to suffer through warranty claims and post-warranty repairs.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's a Brick, December 27, 2013
I ordered this am a couple of months ago because it had all the features that I wanted and the price was right, from Warehouse Deals, Inc. I'm a busy guy so didn't get a chance to hook it up until Christmas break. First time I powered on, it tripped off right away. Tried again, no dice. Disconnected everything from it and reset the protection circuit. Tried again. tripped again. It's now outside the 30 day warranty period, so can't return it. My subsequent research indicates that "Warehouse Deals" is a subsidiary of Amazon that sells open box or refurbished items (apparently without properly testing them). So I'm stuck with a brick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Network Receiver, November 13, 2012
I had an older Yamaha receiver before this one that still worked great, but I really needed to upgrade to a receiver with HDMI outputs for all my HDMI compatible Components. I purchased this about 6 months ago and so far its pretty flawless other than using this with most HD cable boxes. This is not a flaw with this product though. It is an issue with getting cable companies to get with the program and upgrade their boxes to interact with HDMI SWITCHING. Direct TV is the only company that I know of that has this fixed. Others may have it fixed. The problem comes into play when switching cable channels that broadcast in different resolutions. i.e. (1080, 720, Non-HD, etc.) You may loose picture. The only work around is to set your cable box to a static resolution like only 720 or only 1080, etc. Most HD Cable boxes work at 720, which is what I have mine set to and life is good again.

The Yamaha Control App for my iphone works great for this device. Its very nice to be able to use my phone to AirPlay my music (Itunes, Pandora, etc) anytime I want from where ever I am in the house. Its also neat to watch peoples faces as you change your home stereo system with your smart phone. Having the USB port in the front also comes in handy when others come over and would like to play music from their phone or usb compatible device over my surround sound.

Overall, Yamaha hit this one out of the park when it comes to a great receiver with great sound control. YPAO also worked great for automated sound optimization of my speakers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha RX-573, January 3, 2014
I bought it because the price was right and it had all the options I wanted. (Very basic needs). The unit was hardly used at all, and the receiver is already shot. I can turn it on, and get the radio to tune in, but there is absolutely no volume. The speakers are just fine, it just seems there is something shot in the receiver because I can't get anything output. So now I have perfectly fine 7.1 speakers just sitting around attached to this paper weight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sounding AV Receiver!, June 30, 2013
I was looking to upgrade my aging Pioneer AV Receiver which only offered component inputs and no Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA decoding. I had owned a Yamaha 5.1 receiver years ago and really appreciated the sound quality of that unit. My Pioneer had more features than the old Yamaha but did not sound near as good. So while researching a unit in my price range I came across the RX-V573. It had everything I was looking for at a reasonable price. I was very much contemplating getting the Onkyo TX-NR616, which has many more features than the RX-V573, but after reading countless forum posts and reviews on the reliability of that unit I ultimately decided against it. I need something that works and is not going to break just as the warranty expires. With that, I went with the RX-V573.

Let me say this right now, if sound quality is of more importance to you than features, get this receiver. I am absolutely amazed by how good it sounds with my same old Acoustic Research speakers from nearly 10 years ago. You are not going to get any better at this price point. Yamaha has really outdone themselves.

For features you get the basic set of Yamaha's DSP programs, decoding of all major audio formats, HDMI switching for 4 devices, network internet radio and full iDevice support. It all works really well for what it is. Many people complain about only having 4 HDMI inputs, but that is not an issue for me. There have also been complaints about how aged the UI looks, which is also not an issue for me either as the iOS/Android app they have made for it works surprisingly well and I don't even use the UI for anything but setup. At any rate, you get a decent set of features for what you're paying and while it's not as packed as other receivers with stuff like Pandora or Spotify, it doesn't really matter to me as those apps are usually available through things like Smart TVs and Roku boxes anyway, there's no need for redundancy.

In closing, this thing sounds amazing and I highly recommend it if you're looking to make some upgrades to your home theater. Well done Yamaha!