5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful advice for those interested in the RX-V673
While others have delivered much praise for the Yamaha RX-V673 receiver, I wanted to build on their collective comments with my own findings. The intent is to share my experience with the hope it may help others make a decision on whether the RX-V673 is right for them.

Published on January 21, 2013 by Paul S. Remington

3.0 out of 5 stars Died after two months
I bought this unit because I'd just gotten one of Samsung's top-end TV's and I needed a new receiver if I wanted to enjoy any 3D. It replaced an Onkyo that I've had for several years and always had beautiful results with.

Published on November 29, 2012 by aurick

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful advice for those interested in the RX-V673, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

In 1999 I purchased a Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver, which I've been very happy with for the last thirteen+ years. My wife and I recently purchased a new 60" Samsung flat screen television and I learned the advantages of utilizing the HDMI connection to the new television. One problem: my old RX-V1000 doesn't have HDMI connections because it's badly outdated. So I began researching receivers and, like my original search back in 1999, I found the features that I'm looking for and the quantity of favorable reviews all pointed me back to Yamaha.

So I purchased the RX-V673. When it arrived, I spent time setting it up, getting it configured, and exploring everything it had to offer. I now have educated experience and agree with the majority of reviews. This receiver is an outstanding piece of equipment that performs exceptionally well and has an amazing amount of features and capabilities.

With all that stated, I want to share some observations and advice I think might help others.

The best way to make use of this receiver is to be prepared to do some homework. You can pull it out of the box, plug a network cable in, and then attach all your components. When you fire it up, you'll probably find things will be working, but this is really just the start. The best way to utilize this receiver to its fullest extent is to become familiar with the documentation. The documentation is actually written well and does a good job of explaining all the features and customizations that can be made. I'm a technical writer by profession and found the documentation to be well thought out and easy to follow.

Be aware, the receiver does not come with printed documentation. Documentation is supplied on a CD with the receiver.

Before receiving the receiver, I'd suggest downloading two documents from the Yamaha website. (If you can't login to Yamaha's website, these documents can be located elsewhere on the Internet.) Go to Google and search for RX-V673. The first link should be the product page on Yamaha's website. Link this page, if you think you might be interested in purchasing the receiver. Click on the Support leaf and this will take you to a page with all the documentation. Download to your computer or tablet the following PDF documents:

- RX-V673 Owner's Manual
- RX-V673 Quick Guide

These two documents offer everything you'll need to get the receiver set up and configured. You'll also need a list of manufacturer codes to program your existing remote(s) into the Yamaha remote, but this is contained on the CD supplied with the receiver.

You'll want to have these documents ready when you install the receiver. I found it best to download them to my Kindle tablet. I reviewed the quick start guide first and spent an hour or so skimming the entire user manual. This made installing and configuring the receiver much easier. When the receiver came, I was already equipped with the documentation and familiar with the equipment setup and configuration.

If you have legacy equipment to connect to the receiver, the RX-V673 is generously stocked with inputs on the rear panel to accommodate many of these devices. This is something that made this receiver an advantage over others. The RX-V673 supports one optical input and many phono audio and video inputs. It does not support S-video inputs. I have three devices that need a phono audio and video connection. The receiver only supplies enough connectivity for two of these devices. Consider each device you'll want to connect to the receiver and review the available inputs to ensure the receiver has not only the connections to support each of your devices, but also the quantity of inputs you'll need.

If you have a turntable, the RX-V673 does not come with a phono preamp. You'll need to purchase one separately. Phono preamps are pretty cheap, unless you want a high-end, audiophile preamp. You can expect to pay between $25 and $50 for one, which plugs in line with your existing turntable phono plugs.

During the setup process, the RX-V673 utilizes a YPAO autocalibration feature using a supplied microphone. This works very well, although, for me, I found it helpful to rely on my own ears and walk through the audio calibration myself. This process is actually not difficult at all, once you get used to the GUI. The GUI displayed on the television is very easy and intuitive (in my opinion, I know others have said otherwise) and I had no problem fine tuning the settings made by the YPAO feature. You don't have to go this far. The YPAO feature does a fine job on its own and you can certainly rely solely on this, if you choose.

One of the features I found most striking was the net radio stations. I had no idea there were so many fantastic stations available. There are thousands in multiple genres. The audio quality is fantastic and accessing these stations is easy. I find while I watch TV, when a commercial comes on, I press the Net button on the remote, which switches me immediately to the last Internet radio station I was listening to. I can listen to a station I like while watching the television and wait for the commercial to end. When it ends, I press TV on the remote and it immediately switches me back to what I was watching. Pandora and other network audio applications are also available as are network audio servers I have configured on other computers. I have two other laptops and was stunned to see the receiver showed these as available immediately, without me even knowing I was able to access them. I was thrilled!

The remote supplied with the unit is a helpful companion, but not an effective way to manage other remotes. My old RX-V1000 had a much better remote that enabled me to collapse my other remotes into it. This remote doesn't allow that, so you'll either have to learn to live with multiple remotes or purchase a universal remote, such as a Logitech Harmony.

Yamaha supplies an excellent free app for the RX-V673 that works great on my Kindle. A similar app is also available for the Apple. The Kindle app can be found in the Amazon App Store under Yamaha AV Controller App. The app provides access to many of the features the remote manages and also unlocks a few more, such as bass and treble adjustments. This app isn't just a glorified remote, it provides powerful abilities from a remote location and its control over the receiver is instantaneous.

For example, the RX-V673 provides the ability to set up a zone 2 listening environment. I want to have speakers in my office/living area the floor below the living room where the receiver is installed. While in the lower level of my home, I can be in my office downstairs and use the Kindle to access the receiver and tell it to play music through zone 2. I can select a source, such as Net radio, music from my server, etc., and control this music while I'm downstairs. Keep in mind, this can be accomplished while someone is watching television or listening to music in zone 1 (the family room upstairs). The only limitation is that both zones cannot play a different Net radio, Pandora, or Rhapsody station at the same time. This is a very powerful feature. Without the app control on the Kindle, I'd have to walk upstairs to the family room, turn on the receiver, and get things set up for zone 2. The Kindle app works flawlessly! The GUI is great and it's easy to understand and operate.

From a sonic environment standpoint, Yamaha seems to have greatly enhanced the quality of sound in their integration of various acoustical environments. The RX-V673 comes equipped with multiple proprietary environments sampled from the original locations, such as The Bottom Line, Roxy Theatre, Vienna symphony hall, an athletic sports arena, and many more. My old Yamaha receiver had this, but its implementation wasn't so convincing, so I never used it. The RX-V673 *is* convincing--convincing enough that I used it to watch the AFC Championship game using the Sports setting. The entire room filled with the sound of the stadium with the commentator's voice pushed to only the center channel. I could hear people all around me. It was an amazing sonic experience. During commercials, I put on Net radio, which was preset to the Roxy Theatre setting, and it sounded fantastic.

This RX-V673 is so loaded with features and customizable settings, I'm finding new features and uses each time I sit down and explore its capabilities. Network AV receivers are certainly a thing of the present--a modern-day tool that has expanded its use as technology has evolved.

My advice is to do your homework on this receiver and you'll more easily be able to customize it to your liking. I've found its performance to be excellent and its features outstanding. It has allowed me to easily integrate my existing setup and has given me vision on how to expand my sonic enjoyment throughout my home (with a zone 2 setup and use of network streaming media utilizing Airplay). I couldn't be happier with my selection and heartily recommend it to anyone shopping for a network AV receiver.

5.0 out of 5 stars please note: firmware update available Nov 2012, November 18, 2012
** For everyone mourning the loss of Pandora support on this generation of receivers, please note that Yamaha recently (Nov 2012) released a firmware update for the RX-V673 that enables Pandora / SiriusXM / Rhapsody & Napster music services.

I'm really satisfied with this receiver, it's very flexible with a ton of inputs, HDMI-CEC & HDMI-ARC support, Net radio + airplay + DLNA client. Everything works fine for me. The only thing it's missing is a headphone-style input jack for portable music players. To get audio from a headphone jack into this amp you'll need a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable and plug it into one of the rear RCA inputs.

Automatic sound setup through YPAO is great, it gives you a smooth balanced sound that you can fine-tune to your liking

I love the convenience of being able to control it through my android phone, or through the TV remote when it's on that input, or even having (limited) control through the receiver's own web interface. Often I'm surfing the web and I want to turn the volume up / down / mute / turn the amp on or off without a remote nearby. All I have to do is open the amp's IP (I have a shortcut to it in my browser favorites) on my laptop and boom, controls are right there. Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very happy customer, February 26, 2013
This is my first serious receiver. I used to have a Bose Lifestyle 12 series II system that was far from what hifi is all about, but I only realized it after I switched to my current setup.

Cons:
1) Cramped speaker connectors in the back, so it makes it a difficult install if you use bare wires. Banana plugs are therefore highly recommended. (and don't forget to take out the little plastic caps inside the speaker connectors before attempting to insert the banana plug)
2) Remote control buttons are seriously small, especially for far sighted people. There are a few bigger buttons on it, the volume and others, but the majority are too small to read what's written on them. This is easily remedied with the wonderful smartphone app, but the app still can't tweak all the features the remote can (but it can most of them).
3) Does not have built in WiFi.
4) Does not have built in Bluetooth. (my biggest gripe)
5) does not play video from USB

Pros:
1) Sound quality is breathtakingly gorgeous.
2) Easy to setup thanks to its
3) Clear and well written manual
4) AV controller app by Yamaha is a well made app that allows excellent control of the device.
5) Runs cool.
6) every single audio setting is tweakable.
7) auto calibration of speakers is quick and accurate with the ability to turn off the EQ settings and keep just the distance measurements.
8) Subwoofer controls from the receiver include phase (normal and reverse), giving the listener a much easier time in deciding on the preferable setting.
9) Great, quick GUI that allows, for example, to assign the video input from your cable box to show on screen while listening to Net radio (great for commercials time!)
10) Net radio is wonderful.
11) Pure audio mode is wonderful for just stereo listening if you have really good satellites or full range fronts (sub is not used if listening to CD, which is 2.0 recording)
12) Volume control appears on screen upon change (unless you are upscaling the picture to 1080p)
13) Tons of sound modes, if you like to play around with DSP and/or surround decoder.

That's it, hear for yourself what this bad boy can do, or if you can't just read some more professional reviews (such as WhatHiFi.com) and real owners reviews. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better product to purchase.
And if you do, download and install the latest firmware to enable some more online music services and some speaker calibration enhancements.
Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, not-so-great instructions, December 7, 2013
Little bit about myself. I am a software engineer, so I know about wifi, airplay, DLNA etc. I research throughly before buying a product.
Not a audiophile, so don't know much about audio stuff like RCA cables, crossover frequency etc

This receiver was on my wishlist so when I saw it for sale for $299, I snapped it up. I also found the Polk audio RM705 for sale for $169.

Pros:
1) Sounds great, with Polk RM705 5.1 speaker.
2) Well built
3) Lots of features. I value 4K upscaling, airplay, DLNA and 6 HDMI inputs.
4) The "Yamaha AV Controller" app for iPhone and iPad is great. I don't have a android.

Cons:
1) Instructions are poor. I found it difficult to get some of the features working. More explained later in review.
2) YPAO is not the greatest. I had to read through many forums to learn how to tweak the settings.

Tips: I am putting some of the mistakes I made during setup/calibration in this review, so that other readers can benefit.

1) Subwoofer cable : I didn't know what a audio pin cable was, as specified in manual. RadioShack guy gave me a 3.5mm to 2 RCA make cable. I tried to put the 3.5mm part in receiver subwoofer 1 out, but it wont go in. It looked the right size, so I had some frustration putting that in. But later, I figured that I need to use "1 RCA male to 2 RCA male" cable.
2) I have iPhone5, iPad retina and latest macbook pro retina. I could not get airplay to work. I searched through countless forums to figure out how to do it. The only way people seem to have managed it, is if they have appleTV or airport extreme on their home wifi network. Nowhere could I find "I don't have apple TV or airport extreme on my home network and I got airplay working with Yamaha RX-V673". I gave up.
3) After I gave up getting airplay to work. I focused on getting DLNA to work from my macbook pro. I was able to do that successfully. It involves installing "Plex media server" on my macbook. It was simple and works fine. The only problem is "Plex mobile" for mobile devices is not free.

YPAO calibration did not give good results. Bass was lacking and sound was not symmetrical. Even though this is my first ever home theater system, I managed to tweak the settings to make it much better. I think I can get it to sound even better but what I have now is still much better than what YPAO gave.
Some settings I changed were
1) Increased "Bass crossover frequency" to add more bass.
2) Set speaker size to small.
3) Went to "Options" tab of AV controller app and increased the "dialogue level". Increasing this helps listening to dialogues.
4) In "Options" tab of AV controller app and increased the "dialogue lift". Increasing this makes the sound coming from higher point that center speaker location.
5) In "Options" tab of AV controller app, turned on Adaptive DRC. It helps keep volume level high and low volume stuff such as explosions and whispers.

Hope it helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, great features, August 19, 2013
As many others have said, this is a great receiver for a home theater. One feature that has not been commented on is that this receiver passes the HDMI audio over the HDMI out port (when turned on). I don't use this to use the TV as a speaker source, but I have hearing aids and a media streamer that streams to my hearing aids. Prior to this receiver I could only use the media streamer on 1 device since my old receiver did not pass audio out. Now I can connect the receiver to the media streamer and hear everything with the help of my hearing aids. This is wonderful feature (albeit for just a few of us).

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced my 7 year Sony Receiver - Amazing Upgrade!, April 18, 2013
Survi (Chicago, Il) - See all my reviews
With more and more HDMI devices in my setup, I was looking at upgrading my perfectly working Sony STRDG1000 receiver (2 HDMI inputs), with this Yamaha (5 rear HDMI inputs). I have 5 HDMI devices.

At first I was a little concerned with the Yamaha. It weighed half as much as my Sony receiver and by weight alone, it felt inferior. That quickly subsided after I powered it on and started using it in my 5.1 biamp living room system. Sound quality is excellent. I also decided on this receiver due to the end of model year sale price and 4K HDMI TV support. I was caught off guard many years ago with an old Yamaha HDMI receiver that supported up to 1080i while my TV supported the better 1080P standard. At that time I thought HDMI was HDMI. Now I know better and am glad this unit supports 4K HDMI, which is just breaking through.

My wireless router is also near the TV and I decided to connect it to the internet.

Surprising features:
1) The iPad/Android apps work very well. It's great to have all the input options and some of the sound settings available from a touch screen. Well done Yamaha!
2) I like the onscreen display whenever I adjust the volume.
3) Logitech Harmony remote is much more responsive with the Yamaha than my old Sony
4) Auto shutoff mode - Great for when you forget to turn it off.

Cons:
1) Can't think of any, perhaps make it heavier? :-) I'd rather have a receiver with all HDMI inputs and just eliminate the older connection standards.
2) Its not as powerful as my old Sony 120 watt receiver. I tend to increase the volumes higher on the Yamaha than my Sony (which was a more expensive receiver back in the day). Not that big of an issue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Died after two months, November 29, 2012

Getting the receiver wired up was about as easy as any 7.2 system really can be. Their YPAO automatic set up is not nearly as good as Onkyo's Audyssey system, however. First, it only measures one location. If you watch TV by yourself, that's fine. But if you watch it with family or friends you basically just have to decide where you want the "sweet spot" to be and go with that. The Audyssey system lets you take measurements for up to 7 listening spots. Then the YPAO system kept insisting that two of my speakers were out of phase. I knew they weren't but reversed the wires anyway just to see what would happen. It then decided that one of the two was still out of phase, the second was now fine and a third was suddenly out of phase. I put the wires back to what I knew was right and proceeded from there.

The sound from the receiver is pretty good. My only complaint was that it sounded "mushy" somehow. I finally figured out that the problem was the lip sync. The audio was coming from the speakers just a little before where it should have been with the video. The receiver does have a lip sync feature but it took a LOT of trial and error as I replayed the same segment of video over and over until I finally got it set to the 175 millisecond delay that gave good results. So a month after getting the receiver I was finally happy with the audio. (With the Onkyo, I had perfect sound from Day One.)

Now we flash forward another month. I've been noticing for a while that when I turned my theater on the picture would be garbled for the first couple of seconds. I wasn't sure if that was the TV or something else. Then I started noticing that the Xbox startup animation was also a bit messed up more often than not. Finally tonight after using the Xbox for a while I switched to watch a blu-ray. The Xbox turned off. Then the center light came on for a second. Then off again. Then on again. Then finally off again. Meanwhile, the blu-ray screen was all sorts of garbled. Then off again. Then on again with different video garbage. On again, off, and finally on with clear picture. A process of elimination told me the problem was either the TV, the HDMI cable or the receiver. I remembered having seen that a firmware update was available for the receiver so I decided to apply it. Big mistake! It downloaded the update, installed it, then gave a message on the receiver front display that the update had failed because of a ROM Error. I went to the support website and found out how to get around that error using a USB stick. Well, that finished with a "DEVICE ERROR", forcing me to call their support. At that point I was told that the unit needed to go in for servicing.

The closest authorized service location to me is 175 miles away. So I can make the drive there twice to drop it off and pick it up again whenever it's fixed or I can ship it at my expense to California. Either way, I will not have the unit for an unknown amount of time.

Incidentally, a significant drawback to this unit is the power cord. Unlike with the Onkyo receiver and most of my other home theater components, the cord does not detach from the receiver. This seems like a silly thing to be annoyed by -- until you have to do something like tonight's firmware recovery attempt. You see, to do that you have to unplug the receiver from the outlet, insert the USB stick (fortunately, the port for that is on the front of the unit where it's convenient), then hold a specific button on the front of the receiver while you plug it back into the outlet. Try doing that when your outlet is behind a big entertainment center! Yamaha's service rep said flat out that it's a two-person job. I succeeded by pulling the power cord back through the hole and to the front, then bringing an extension cord over from a different outlet and managing to plug the receiver into that one handed. All for something that have been done in a snap if the cord was detachable. (Moral of the story: If you have a set up where it's difficult to get to the power outlets, do yourself a favor by only buying components with detachable power cords!)

At this point I'm pretty sure that I'll be ordering a new Onkyo receiver through Amazon tomorrow and then selling the Yamaha after it has been fixed.

Pros:
Decent quality sound.
No interference in the picture quality.
Supports as many audio formats as I need.
7.2 support for those who want it.
Plenty of HDMI inputs.
Very nice on-screen menu system.

Cons:
YPAO Sound Optimization is sub-par compared to other systems.
Still needed to significantly adjust the sound settings after sound optimization.
Died and required repair after just two months of average use.
Power cord does not detach from unit.

2.0 out of 5 stars great product (when it works); awful customer service, October 8, 2012
i bought this unit to run two zones independently at my house, each with its own content and volume control. it worked perfectly. there was a little fine tuning that i was able to accomplish with yamaha's knowledgeable customer support (which is 24/7) after a long wait. i am not an audiophile and i am not running a hometheater system, so i cannot comment on the quali of sound or picture. however, the feature set is great. the on-screen display is fairly inutuitive, the yamaha app for pda is very cool, the airplay does a solid job of playing my music. overall, my only complaint with functionality is that yamaha seems to have removed the sat radio ready feature. the csr i spoke with claims that this will be taken care of in a firmware upgrade.
despite all the good things there are about the prodcut, hope that you do not have a problem with it because yamaha doesnt care. after i had been using it for a few weeks the hdmi out stopped working. the first line customer support was utterly worthless and just this side of incompetent. i was shocked that this was the same team that helped me set up the unit because they did such a good job at the front end. they continuously promised me that "level 2" support would be able to help me out, which proved untrue. i spent hours on the phone hoping to talk with one of these mythical level 2 people, but it took multiple messages to them before they called me back. the level 2 guru spent a minute on the phone with me then told me i need to box up this 20lb+ unit and mail it into them so they can take a look. while the outcome is what i expected, the treatment i got on the way there gives me a lot of second thoughts about whether i would ever buy a yamaha again. beware......
UPDATE (Nov 6, 2012):
Yamaha warranty repairs has had my unit for around 3 weeks. I just got a call advising me that the video board (may not be the right word) is on back order in japan and wont be here for around four weeks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very solid receiver, easy to use, but some quirks, November 23, 2013
I've had this receiver for 5 months now. I upgraded from a 15 year old model, so obviously love having more modern functions. I am only using two speakers currently, so no info on surround sound experience. Also, haven't connected it to outside speakers yet so can't comment on multi-zone functionality.

Pros:
- Easy to set up. I'm a geek but found the configuration easy to do, everything clearly marked and logically arranged. TV on screen menus made it even easier.
- AirPlay is so easy to use, my 9 year old figured it out by herself. You don't need to even touch the receiver, AirPlay will turn it on for you when you pick the receiver from the iPhone/iPad and displays the music info on the front panel display (note this is totally different from the Yamaha app for iPhone)
- Can easily stream music from computer: load up iTunes on computer, use AirPlay to stream to receiver, use Apple Remote app on your iPhone/iPad to control.
- Yamaha app for iPhone is easy to use, I find myself using it more than the physical remote
- Web interface is available. I find this quicker to fire up than the app for iPhone
- On Screen menus are much easier to use than just the front panel display
- The sound quality seems great, but we don't play it that loud
- FM reception is fine, we also found some good internet radio if your unit is in the basement, etc.
- Pandora gets a lot of use from my wife and kids, just need to use a computer to set up the stations under a single Pandora account. You can do the "thumbs up / thumbs down" function from either the smartphone app or the web interface.
- It can pass through HDMI signal when turned off, so when my kids want to watch the Roku they don't need to turn on the receiver.

Cons:
- The remote is so 90s, big buttons for volume, scene, cursor and sound programs, but all other buttons are small and uniform size. Also, there is no ability to program macros, so you still need to push multiple buttons to watch TV (kinda defeats the purpose of the Scene buttons)
- the app for iPhone takes a while to load, then you have to choose the receiver each time, wish there was a way for it to default for my receiver
- On screen menu is good, but not great. Definitely designed by engineers stuck in the early 90s, don't expect a user-friendly interface like your iPhone/iPad/Android has.
- Streaming music from PCs via both Windows Media Player and DLNA is very clunky. You use the on screen menus but it takes a while to load the music info (maybe because I have a big library) and not intuitive to navigate. Better to use iTunes on your PC and then stream to receiver via AirPlay

3.0 out of 5 stars Update 8/27/2012, June 30, 2012
This receiver has a glitch in it that "cuts out" the TV signal. While the "cut out" only lasts about a second or so, sometimes it will actually change the TV settings. (Cinema to Auto or Sports) At first no big deal. It has become frustrating over time. I have tried various set up options on the receiver but have not figured out how to stop this "cut out".

While overall I enjoy this device, this problem is distracting when you're watching a movie or TV show. I hope a future firmware update will address this issue.