Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Yamaha BD-S473 Blu-ray Player
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on January 7, 2013
I've owned this player for about 4 months now. The player plays 2D just fine, but for some reason has to be reset (unplugged/replugged) every now and again because it doesn't respond at all when attempting to turn it on.

We just bought a 3D TV about a month ago, this is when I started to notice an additional flaw with this unit. Certain 3D movies are practically unwatchable due to what seems to be a decoding issue. The moving images are extremely blurry and the whole 3D effect seems very messy (namely Prometheus, Ice Age 3D, Dolphin Tale). My other 3D movies seem to play ok. After confirming I had the latest firmware, I contacted Yamaha & received a response basically telling me it was a problem with my TV settings. I then went to Best Buy & Bought a cheap ($99) Sony 3D BluRay player just to test & it worked perfectly straight out of the box on all the movies listed above. I have communicated this back to Yamaha & am awaiting a response.

UPDATE on 1/31/13- Yamaha swapped the player out under warranty. It has the same problem. Since I can't return this item, I'll be listing it on eBay. If you need the 3D feature on a Bluray player, spend $98 on a Sony BDP-S590 Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (Black) as the quality of the unit if far superior & the iOS app has a ton more features.
on June 8, 2013
I purchased this unit in September 2012, before there were any reviews of it here on Amazon. Unfortunately, I didn't unpack/install it until a month past the 30-day return period. My mistake.

Like other Yamaha BD players of this generation with model name ending in "3", this player locks up frequently -- as in freezing during Netflix streaming, refusing to move from the DVD/BD menu screen, and ignoring the remote and front-panel button pushes.

Even powering on/off the unit can be a chore. It often gets stuck on the "BYE" screen and subsequently won't respond to the power button.

To reboot after a lockup, you have to hold the power button down for 5 seconds, which seems to have the same effect as unplugging the unit.

Stay away from the "3" versions of the Yamaha BD players.
on January 17, 2013
I'm a big yamaha fan but this blu-ray player falls short in so many areas. For $250 I would expect more. It had firmware issues from day one. The menu sucks. The FF function doesn't work well. The tray doesn't eject well. It took 30 minutes just to set it up with my yamaha receiver so it would work.
on February 11, 2014
I rarely write a review, but thought that this player may need some issues addressed.

The player had been inconsistent when starting, opening, loading, and when turning off. Quite a bit of stuff not working correctly. It seemed very prone to hanging up and just stopping, requiring the plug be pulled and replaced, and then restarting the unit. I thought at first maybe the remote was broken, but after managing to move all the way over to the player and pressing the button, I realized that something was not right with the player itself.

After a bit of searching, I found a comment from someone having similar issues with a Sony Blu-Ray player. The solution this person suggested was, if you are not using them, to turn off the Blu-Ray live internet access, as well as any of the extra net apps like YouTube, Pandora, etc. The idea, from what I gathered, was that if the unit is not connecting well with the net features, it will stall and perhaps lock up.

These additional features are not an issue for me. I use an AppleTV to access this other material, and needed the DVD player for movies and the occasional CD.

After turning off the BDLive and DLNA features, the unit has been running well. It starts up and loads quickly, and thus far has worked with the remote every time.

If you don't need the extras, it seems the unit works well when the apps are turned off. If you do need the extras, this may not be the unit for you.

Really though, Yamaha should have made sure this thing worked flawlessly with all its features, rather than sending out a unit that may or may not works with the extras.
on February 16, 2013
Replaced my Panasonic with this Yamaha, main reason was the Android app that is available and supports this unit. I am very pleased with the unit and it's video display quality, outstanding picture and great feature set. Easy to setup and works great with the Yamaha app in the a Android Play Store.
on December 18, 2013
it's been a year, I'm on my second blu-ray S473. The first one locked up, had to unplug from power then plug back in to get it to reset. Locked up constantly... It was replaced with another one and it didn't lock up for a few weeks, then only did it once a week or so.. there was a firmware update and I did it... still locks up once in a while. Now it locks up all the time, I unplug it and it boots then locks up again... took three power cycles to get it to play a movie... This is crazy...... I only bough it because I have the Yamaha Aventage receiver, which is great...

Update 1/22/14: Sent unit back to Yamaha and it was replaced with a new one. Support is great... Hope this one doesn't lock up!!!! Fingers crossed.
on December 13, 2012
Well made, but No apps, not fast, cost more than common name brands. Used with a Yamaha receiver which had no function controls using the receiver remote, so poor planning by yamaha
on February 4, 2014
Movies freeze during play and the unit locks up requiring a re-boot (unplug/plug back in) to get it working again. The latest firmware update (Feb 2014) did not resolve this issue. GUI is not very intuitive.
on February 10, 2014
The audio output on this bluray is incredible. I purchased this to match my aventage receiver. I did a blind test with this bluray vs my Sony BD-P185 and I was astounded at the difference. This player is incredible just like everything that Yamaha makes.
on April 3, 2013
At first it was slow to play Blueray DVD's, but I updated the firmware and now it's great. It automatically picks up on the best audio and it's easy to use.