Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

Size: Full SizeStyle Name: GigMaker BundleChange

on February 5, 2009
I currently own 4 guitars - a Fender Stratocaster electric, a Rogue Dreadnaught, a Fender GD0 200 acoustic, and a Yamaha C40 classical acoustic.

This Yamaha was the first guitar I owned, 8 years ago, so I might be biased. But it is a beautiful classical guitar, with the standard 3 metal string and 3 nylons. Since it is a classical, it has a wider fretboard than other acoustics or electrics, which is great if you are just learning and still are clumsily touching neighboring strings with your left hand and making buzzing noises.

After about a year of use, the strings began to resonate differently so I changed them, but that was due to wear and tear, not any defect in the strings.

This guitar is very high quality and 8 years later is as good as new. The pegs continue to hold the strings in tune, the rich tone is still the same. I highly recommend it and am deeply satisfied with mine. It is great for a starter guitar but also for any veteran guitarist who wants to add a classical to their collection.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2009
After moving recently, I discovered my Fender classical guitar to be cracked in transit. It never would stay in tune and I pretty much stopped playing guitar altogether after the disappointment, even after being a lifetime guitar player.

Scanning through the other day, I happened to come across this Yamaha C40 classical guitar and saw that it was on a really great sale: $144.95, ya can't beat that! After contacting my wife (i.e. the boss :)), I was surprised to hear her say that she had missed hearing me play and sing. I ordered the guitar Wednesday afternoon and BOOM! Friday evening it was sitting on my front porch.

Upon seeing the "box" standing there... I began to feel dread....thinking I've seen these same types of boxes with "STUDENT READY" or "NEWBIE FRIENDLY" written on the side at Walmart or Sam's Club. Like a kid, I immediately took it inside and started opening the box, with my wife being as excited (skeptical?) as me. I hadn't realized that the guitar came wth a soft cased gig bag, and we began ooooing and ahhhing.. you would have thought it was Christmas morning. Opening the gig bag, the guitar was tightly protected by a thin sheet of foam packing. As I began to take this sheet away, we began to catch glimpses of the wooden body and neck of the guitar. Man, what a beaut! Strings were already installed so there was no excuse to delay.. so I immediately began tuning her up! My wife had been rummaging through the gig bag and said that there was an electronic tuner and a DVD in the case. The tuner even had batteries already! Way to go, Yamaha/Amazon! I got low E and in just a few minutes (new strings, ya know) I was playing some of my old favorites...The Trees by Rush, anybody?... my fingers were a bit rusty, but this guitar still sounded beautiful. I've never owned a Yamaha classical before... always been a Fender and Gibson electric man, but just WOW! I've often played different classical guitars in music stores, but I would put this Yamaha up against any of those $2,000 models. It is a beautiful guitar, the tone and sustain are incredible. With the gig bag, electronic tuner, and DVD (not sure what's on there, haven't watched it yet) included this is a no brainer. If you are on the fence about buying this gem, come on over to this side. I guarantee the grass IS greener! Oh, one more thing, your wife won't yell at you for buying it either! (your mileage may vary ;))
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2008
I've played the guitar all of my life and have several Yamaha classical guitars. These are the only nylon-string guitars that are I will buy and that are worth buying.

Yamaha classical guitars are the best inexpensive high quality classical guitars that you can purchase. I've bought several other brands of classical guitars in the past but always end up selling them. I always keep the Yamahas.

If you research classical guitars on the Internet, you will find that Yamaha brand is the best classical guitar that you can buy for the money. They are not hand crafted like the more expensive brands but who cares? They are made by a computer controlled machine to exact tolerances. They play just as great as one made by a craftsman. Sure there are more expensive classical guitars out there but why pay more for same thing that you can buy cheaper? Especially when it is easy to play and sounds great.
on September 8, 2011
I have checked out several higher-end guitars such as the Cordoba C5 and C7 and also a Manuel Rodriguez, all of which cost between $500 and $1000, and I do not notice a huge difference in terms of their touch or the quality of the sound. In fact, there are several positive features I like about the starting level Yamaha student guitar. I even bought a Cordoba C5 and played them against each other. In a blind test, I could tell which one is the Yamaha based on a few things. The third string (G) has a less blunt and more sustained soft sound quality. I notice that Yamaha and some Manuel Rodriguez have made a cut-out at the bottom bridge nut around the area that contacts the 3rd (G) string. This design feature seemed to correlate with the softer and sustained sound I perceived when I checked out many guitars at the Guitar Center. There is also a more sustained sound at the 6th string with particularly the G note.
The Yamaha is very playable, not presenting itself like a compromised guitar albeit being labelled as a student guitar for the beginners. Recently, I had the chance to play it at home against the Cordoba C5 (about $500) and the Manuel Rodriguez CAB11 (about $300) for a few days. To my pleasant surprise, I have come to like the Yamaha even more. You do have to realize that all these guitars aforementioned are made in China. You probably have to go up much higher up in price levels to find one that are hand crafted in a Japanese factory by Yamaha or in Spain by M.Rodriguez or Cordoba.
With the Yamaha, I only need to spend about $130 and I have had a whole lot of fun between me and my wife. The cheap price at first did come with a sense of instrument inferiority, until I spent some good amount of time comparing it against different guitars. To me, this just cannot be a bad choice and should afford me some great experience for a while before I indulge in a much more "professional" guitar. If you are thinking of trying out playing guitar for the first time, or like me, going back in time to search for my teen years of fun, you might want to wonder aloud like I do "What else could $130 buy these days?".
on March 18, 2010
Me and a buddy of mine have a habit of visiting our local Guitar Center and testing out stuff when we're bored, and on one of our visits I decided to try out some classical guitars. I tried out every classical that they had and came to the conclusion that the Yamahas had the best sound for the money. They were selling this exact guitar for $200 +tax and without any extras (not even a case). I almost bought it right there but, knowing how much of a rip-off Guitar Center can be, I looked online.

Bottom line is this, folks: You're not going to find a better sounding guitar than this unless you want to spend an extra $500, plus the cost of a special case and humidifier (classical guitars made of exotic woods MAY sound a little better but they have to be babied with climate control or else they will WARP). So, if you're not Mason Williams, buy this guitar.
on March 12, 2008
The sound quality is almost perfect. It keeps the tune for a long time. It is a great quitar and pretty good price for Yamaha. Very fast shipping. I reccommend a stand to keep this beauty safe.
on March 28, 2010
Beginner/intermediate guitar player. Met all my expectations. I found guitar to be responsive,resonate,tunes easily and stays in tune.Pretty to look at. I have owned much more expensive classical guitars and around $800.00 ranges and find this guitar to be amazing for the price!
on January 25, 2012
This is the second C40 I have owned, and my third Yamaha guitar. The first C40 was forty years ago purchased in a Navy Exchange on base. I find that this one has better tone qualities than the first one. It is very lively in tone, has a true fret board, finish is pretty good, action is really good. I picked up this one to supplement my ovation steel string accoustic/electric and to relearn classical guitar.

The gig bag is adequate. The electronic tuner is really nice. I used a 440 tuning fork previously.

My only real complaint is that the advertising on Amazon says "Limited lifetime warranty". I checked Yamaha. They do not warranty internet sales. See [...]"Yamaha provides warranty coverage for new Yamaha® products originally sold by Yamaha Authorized Dealers located in the United States. Check our DEALER LOCATOR for a list of U.S. Authorized Dealers. Yamaha products purchased from retailers other than Yamaha Authorized Dealers (whether via the Internet, or otherwise) will NOT be covered by Yamaha's warranties, and U.S. service centers will not repair such products under warranty."

The seller, American Musical Supply of Midland Park, NJ, was not listed as an authorized dealer at the Yamaha page. However, they provided prompt delivery and I have no reason to fault their service. Amazon should probably clearly indicate who warranties this product and how one gets this service if it is provided.

This should not be an issue for me since the guitar is soundly made. I do not anticipate any problems. In any case small problems I can fix (tuning head, bridge, loose frets). Major problems probably would arise only by careless damage. So no problemo. At the price it is high quality and I am pleased with the guitar.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2010
I am a beginner guitar learner. I researched online about guitars and bought this guitar because it seemed a good deal for quality and price. Now I take it to my guitar class and I can feel that my guitar sounds best among all of the guitars that students use. I hope this guitar will last for a long time and be a friend of my happiness.
on February 3, 2011
This was purchased as a gift for someone who has struggled with a steel string guitar and he absolutely loves it. The tuner works better that the expensive one he received as a gift- another plus. The guitar is nice looking, sounds very pleasant, comfortable to hold (I am not large) and came with the extras like soft case, electronic tuner, DVD (yet to be viewed) and, of course, with all strings. Takes just a minute to tune. It arrived in time and in perfect shape. Only the guitar snobs know it is an entry level guitar.