5.0 out of 5 stars great product
I began researching guitars when my son asked for one for Christmas. I found a lot of "toy" guitars but review after review said that they wouldn't stay in tune or didn't work well. I ended up purchasing this guitar and it's wonderful. It has a nice sound to it, stays in tune well and is basically a real guitar that's half size as opposed to a toy guitar.

The...
Published on December 18, 2010 by Apesan

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost unplayable...
Published 14 days ago by Michael W. Tan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, December 18, 2010

The one thing I would caution you about is that this guitar is truly 1/2 size, so it's not meant for little-little kids. It's a perfect guitar for a 7 or 8 year old but it's too big for kids under that age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant sound and holds tuning, August 24, 2011
This review is from: Yamaha CGS102A 1/2 Size Classical Guitar (Electronics)
We love this guitar, it has a very pleasant sound and has been very easy to play on. We had previously purchase a very cheap ukulele and it goes out of tune almost immediately after you tune it. This little guitar holds perfectly well. We have a nicer full size acoustic guitar too, so this has been a welcome addition for our young kids to play, and not too expensive - we are new to guitar in general though we were recommended to buy this from a guitar teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars my kids love it, and I also love to play it, August 29, 2011
This review is from: Yamaha CGS102A 1/2 Size Classical Guitar (Electronics)
my kids love it, and I also love to play it.
I bought if few months ago, and still enjoy play this. I also have a Alhambra 4P for my self, and bought this for my kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actual guitar, half the size, December 28, 2012
Gian Paulo Virzi (Panama City, Rep of Pma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha CGS102A 1/2 Size Classical Guitar (Electronics)
This little guitar has all the sound and feeling of a full size guitar. I bought it for my 5 year old daughter but ended up using it my self everytime I travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Guitar - Highly Recommend, July 24, 2012
Sampson69 (Tempe, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha CGS102A 1/2 Size Classical Guitar (Electronics)
I bought this guitar for my 4 and 7 year old daughters. It is very well made and plays well. The half size is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars very loud for its size, April 6, 2013
This review is from: Yamaha CGS102A 1/2 Size Classical Guitar (Electronics)
This guitar sounds amazing for being so small! Its so much easier to teach a child to love playing the guitar when the sound is just as pretty as my full sized one. The sound is very loud, full and clear and its the perfect size for an 8 year old. This would also work great as a traveling guitar for camping trips and such for an adult.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Instrument - sounds better than our full sized one, November 15, 2011
This review is from: Yamaha CGS102A 1/2 Size Classical Guitar (Electronics)
We bought this as a present for our five year old, who insisted on getting a guitar for his birthday. Instead of this version we got one that came in a bundle with a music stand, electronic tuner and some other goodies. This is the smallest guitar size there is - everything smaller is either a toy or not a guitar. Stay away from toy guitars if you want your kid to have any chance at all to pick up an interest in actual guitar play.

The guitar is too big for our now five year old, so he will have to wait a while before he can actually learn how to play it properly. But he does enjoy the sound of it. So do we. We have a full sized guitar at home as well, from a different brand - and this one sounds better! So we use his guitar to sing songs together.

The first three strings are nylon, the other three steel. I have read in countless reviews that new nylon strings don't hold the tune very well the first two weeks, until they are settled. We didn't encounter this problem yet, the guitar held the tune pretty well. The nylon strings are great for beginners, because they don't hurt the fingers as much.

The one BIG con to this guitar is that it does NOT have any knobs to attach a guitar strap to. That is particularly bad because kids, even with the best intentions, tend to drop things. Especially things with smooth surfaces, like this guitar. We will bring ours to a music store to drill holes and attach knobs to the guitar. I have to deduct a point for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice REAL 1/2 size guitar, October 16, 2012
Haney (Cape Girardeau, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha CGS102A 1/2 Size Classical Guitar (Electronics)
This guitar plays well, stays in tune, is built with quality for the price paid and I am indeed satisfied.

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost unplayable..., December 11, 2014
Michael W. Tan "beatlemaniac" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha CGS102A 1/2 Size Classical Guitar (Electronics)
Many positive reviews for children's guitars are by parents who don't actually play and base their glowing review on "it stays in tune". The Yamaha CGS-102A is no exception. No it's not a toy, it gets credit for that, but it's about as junky as a "real" guitar can be - which is surprising as Yamaha is generally a reputable guitar company. The action is way too high and it has intonation problems. I've played several $99 full sized guitars that play and sound MUCH better. The issues are probably correctable by a competent luthier but why not spend more $ on a better guitar in the first place. It's too expensive to be a toy, and IF your child develops a serious interest in guitar, its shortcomings will become apparent in no time. For my 8-year old daughter, I opted for the Cordoba Protege for about $40 more. It's a much better guitar and includes a gig bag so really doesn't cost much more...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, July 6, 2014
Tad (ALBEMARLE, NORTH CAROLINA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha CGS102A 1/2 Size Classical Guitar (Electronics)
This is an excellent little guitar for children or small adults even. It holds a tune well and has a nice sound. It's almost exactly the size of a little Martin or baby Taylor guitar.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›