5.0 out of 5 stars Mega mounting plate mystery solved
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:23 Mins
This video shows you where to buy and how to install the mega mounting plate described in the owner's manual for these Yamaha speakers.
Published on February 20, 2012 by Doug Dittrich

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the money, some issues
The sound on these doesn't blow me away but is fine for outdoor patio use. They can get plenty loud and the price was definitely a good deal. I only really have had two issues thus far.

Published on July 26, 2009 by Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the money, some issues, July 26, 2009
This review is from: Yamaha Corporation of America NSAW350B Pair of 2-Way 40-Watts RMS Speakers - Black (Electronics)

First of all, if you plan on mounting these any way but straight off a wall, plan on purchasing additional mounting hardware. The instructions mention some sort of 'mega' bracket, which is a joke. I scoured the net and found others baffled by this phantom mounting device. Yamaha is doing a disservice to it's customers by even printing this in the enclosed documentation. I needed to mount these on the patio ceiling but did end up finding a great bracket that is sturdy and has quite a bit of flexibility. The bracket is item number 10776 from a1components.com. I'm sure you can find it elsewhere but it is very sturdy, made of metal and not plastic. Best of all it was only $13 per bracket. It did the trick for ceiling mounting.

The other issue is the grills just fall off. After only about two weeks outside, the grills just dropped right off. I live in Texas but the speakers are completely out of the sun. I had to strap rubber bands around the speaker bodies to keep the grills on. It's not attractive but seems to work. It seems like a better design would include a simple clip in of the grills instead of using glue. The Yamaha engineers must not have tested the glue above 80 degrees F.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mega mounting plate mystery solved, February 20, 2012
Length:: 1:23 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Neck and neck w/ Bose 251s, April 1, 2005
Cigarro (Minneapolis) - See all my reviews
I just hooked them up and ran an A/B test with a set of Bose 251s. I think the sound reproduction is every bit as good as the Bose setup. For a third of the price you can't pass these by. The only thing that remains to be determined is how well they will stand up to the weather. If you can mount them under an overhang and keep them out of rain and snow, I think these are the real deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice sound quality, June 20, 2005
Sound quality is better than expected. After much research these seemed to have a pretty good rating from other sources. There really isn't anything about them that we don't like. They were easy to install and we can blast them or mellow out with them. Would recommend to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!! These Speakers Can Pump Out The Volume!, April 18, 2011
Other than the fact that several people complained that the glue used to secure the grill to the facing would fail when exposed to the outdoor heat, I found most of the reviews about the sound quality favorable so I ordered two pairs. They arrived once again earlier than expected and in great shape. The first thing that surprised me when I unpacked them was how light each speaker housing unit was compared to its size. Although they seemed to be well made, against my Polk Audio two way bookshelf speakers or even my outdoor KLH M-Pro speakers which were all of the same or smaller overall dimension, they definitely felt light and hollow.

Dubiously, I hooked them up to my stereo amplifier and much to my amazement these speakers came to life! They were loud, clean, clear and boasted a respectably wide frequency range. These speakers caused me to recalibrate my sound system to tone down their loudness and brilliance a bit. Bass is quite decent just by itself, but nothing of course beats the addition of a dedicated subwoofer to the mix to compliment each pair and bring out its true musical potential.

For the price, quality and performance ... I definitely love these speakers. If they hold out under normal use ... they'd pretty much be near perfection.

UPDATE: A day after writing the above review, I did some side by side testing of this unit against several other similarly sized speaker brands (home and outdoor) I had using a professional powered pre-amp. Even without the enhancement of a subwoofer to fully extend the lower bass frequencies I was impressed by the ability of its 6.5" speakers to deliver reasonably clean, clear and effortless bass. So ... I decided to order another 2 pairs of these speakers. What else can I say again other than for the price ... they definitely seem to be a good buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars solid speakers, September 13, 2010
I bought these speakers for my 12 foot x 12 foot roof top deck. The sound great, but if anything are overkill for such a small space. My friend got the 150's for his similarly sized deck and they do the trick just fine as well. Might have been worth getting the smaller ones to save a few bucks but I'm certainly happy with these. The bass is good and the volume in general is more than I will ever need.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!, September 15, 2005
Arturo (Tucson, AZ) - See all my reviews
These speakers are the best you can get for the price ! I looked at Infinity and Bose, these Yamahas are right up there with them. Installation was pretty straight forward, I was not expecting outdoor speakers to offer much bass, but these sounded alot better than expected, and yes, they got some bass, and although they wont shake the whole house, you can hear pretty decent lows given their size and their "outdoor" nature. I am extremely pleased with these speakers, would definately recommend. The bang for the buck is simply unbeatable ! Im glad I ran into these before I went and bought some more expensive speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good for the price, May 2, 2011
These are a great value. $80 or so with free shipping, good brackets, a tether to hang the speaker while attaching the wires. Very well done. Sound is great for their size. Turn on the EQ on your ipod and crank up the bass level and they will provide surprisingly good low end. Great addition to my patio.

5.0 out of 5 stars great outdoor speakers, February 3, 2011
IndyCM "IndyCM" (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
great sounding outdoor speakers at a very reasonable price. the only potential downside is that they generally must be mounted "vertically" vs. "horizontally" which can create space issues depending on where you are mounting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased!!, May 11, 2006
JVD (California) - See all my reviews
I just got my speakers yesterday. I already hooked them up in the eaves on our patio to service our pool area. We have an acre lot and they sound very well for outdoor speakers and the bass sounds great for the price. It was a great buy for such a small price. I would definately recommend these speakers. My husband will be quite surprised to hear the quality. The set up was very easy as well.