4.0 out of 5 stars No Incompatibility Issues Whatsoever!
Published on March 22, 2006 by Machrohn

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't play even pristine discs without skips or lock-ups.
Total Jucking Funk. I've suffered through this player for almost a year; it's getting noticeably worse as the time drags on.

Brand new discs without visible flaws won't play without lock-ups; I'm sick of this player and can hardly wait to get a different one.

Published on January 20, 2008 by Schurkey

4.0 out of 5 stars No Incompatibility Issues Whatsoever!, March 22, 2006
Machrohn (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha DVDC750 5 Disc DVD-Video/SA-CD Changer (Electronics)
Ever since I discovered this player in the summer of 2005, I have been highly impressed with how much it met both my normal and oddball demands. As a student of Musical Theatre, Opera, Classical vocal and choral literature, and Jazz and Classical piano, DVD-AUDIO and SACD capabilities are of great importance to me because there are a lot of titles especially in the Classical genre available in these formats. One thing that sets this player apart from the other manufacturers' players is Yamaha's CD UpSampling feature. For those titles which are currently only available on CD and possibly will never be released on DVD-AUDIO and/or SACD, this option converts standard CDs to the quality of DVD-AUDIO. On the Musical Theatre, Opera, and choral side of things, this player is capable of playing both NTSC (North American) and PAL (European) DVDs on corresponding as well as opposite TVs. For certain titles in these genres, the North American editions are either four percent slower in tempo and picture movement and flatter in pitch than the European editions due to the method of PAL-to-NTSC conversion used by the distributors of such DVDs, or do not include as many bonus features as their original European counterparts. Sometimes, it can be the other way around, except the European editions might be four percent faster and sharper and have less bonus material than their original North American counterparts. On both ends of the spectrum, if the audio pitch is corrected without changing the audio speed to keep the picture and sound in synch, a subaudible breaking-up effect may be noticed as the result of slight artifacts from slightly bending or stretching the pitch in the conversion process. However, because of this player's bicompatibility with both color systems, I have the freedom to choose and purchase whatever editions are the best. Although it is not in the manual, this player can be made multi-region compatible including RCE DVDs. Turn on the DVD player. Make sure there are no discs loaded. With the tray open, using its supplied remote control, slowly press 99990. Wait for the 'Region 0' message to disappear. Close the tray. Now you can play any kind of optical disc without thinking about it. The only little flaw with this player's firmware is that when the 'All Discs' repeat mode is selected, when playing DVDs, after playing through all the titles, instead of moving on to the next disc, it returns to the home menu. If Yamaha could do a minor revision to the firmware which engages that same menu bipass as when repeating a single DVD, the machine would change DVDs automatically. I discovered this by reauthoring DVDs without any of their menus using DVD Shrink Version 3.2. In conclusion, if you are looking for a DVD player with one hundred percent compatibility all across the board, you have come to the right place!* In fact, I currently use one of these in my bedroom, and by the spring or summer of 2006, I plan on either going the separate component route and getting another one for my livingroom, or more than likely, getting its integrated home cinema counterpart, the Yamaha DVX-C700 because of how great Yamaha's DVD technology is. *Others have reported problems playing 'Dual Discs'--a type of disc which includes DVD-VIDEO on one side or layer, and CD DIGITAL AUDIO on another, also known as 'Hybrids.' However, big names, such as Panasonic, Sony, and Pioneer, do not recommend using these discs in their players. This is not to be confused with 'Hybrid' type SACDs, which many, including the Yamaha DVDC750 will support.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mighty but delicate, June 8, 2007
I found the performance and control options of this DVD changer to be superb, but I've owned it for little over a month and have had in in for service three times. The problem is that the tray holding the DVDs is very shallow, and if the device is jarred the individual DVDs may slide around and jam the mechanism. Even without jarring, the device sometimes jams when trying to load (read) one of the DVDs, and becomes unresponsive to any of the control buttons or the remote. In this case, I found, the machine can be "rebooted" by unplugging it for a half-hour. I would hope there are better alternatives available, but haven't found one yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't play even pristine discs without skips or lock-ups., January 20, 2008
Schurkey (Frozen Wastelands) - See all my reviews

My biggest concern is getting one that's actually BETTER. I'm scared they're all this bad.

Yamaha--like Sony--USED to be a good brand name that deserved some respect. Both companies now seem to churn out Communist Chinese GARBAGE that barely functions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, January 13, 2010
Congratulations to Yamaha for fleecing me on this product. Having been a loyal Yamaha component buyer for 2 decades, this item is my last. It was a warranty replacement for my previous Yamaha DVD player, which went on the fritz soon after purchase. At first, the service shop in Anaheim sent me a lower grade replacement, without some of the features of my original player. After sending it back (at my expense), I was then sent a DVD-C750. Playback is actually OK, with good picture quality. Where this doorstop of a DVD player has problems is with accepting commands from the remote. It will freeze, ignore commands, and even refuse manual attempts to power off. I need to literally unplug the thing to unfreeze it and attempt to make it work again.

This is not rocket science technology, Yamaha. I've had it. I'm moving on, and the only thing left to decide is if I just take this thing to eWaste or if I simply hurl it into the dumpster at my complex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discount Jungle is Great!!!, February 5, 2009
I purchased this item from Discount Jungle through Amazon.com. Discount Jungle called me the next day to say the shipment they had received did not include any DVDC750 as expected but offered to upgrade me to the DVDC950 for the same price (when new lists for $200 more) and that it would ship on the same day.
I received the DVDC950 the very next day and all I can say is that this is a fantastic DVD player.
Great product and Fantastic customer service.
Thanks Amazon and Discount Jungle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine player but think twice about SA-CD, August 18, 2008
Yamaha player functions fine except the poor choice of color for it's hard to see display specialy hard to notice the small LED turning green
from orange indicating the played disc number.
I strongly advise checking the very limited available SA-CD's and their high expense before buying SA-CD player, most of the music on available SA-CD's were mastered years ago when the best SN on master tape was 96db(1980) or even worse about 80db in 70's so the SA-CD would produce as good as master(garbage in/garbage out)and there is no indication of the year the original recording was made on most SA-CD flyers which make it harder to choose what you buy.
Have not found a true multi channel recorded music with the superb 110 db
SN yet and like to hear from anyone who has.

Rate and Discover Movies