5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of power
Published on May 18, 2010 by Mark Rivard

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be Better
I own the Yamaha EF3000iSE for a backup to local power.Purchased it online from other retailer. The unit was delivered by freight truck on a pallet due to weight. My unit was not supplied with oil.
Published on October 22, 2011 by Gawain

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of power, May 18, 2010
This review is from: Yamaha EF3000iSE 3,000 Watt 171cc OHV 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator With Electric Start (CARB Compliant) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
I purchased this generator from a local camper dealer about 3 years ago so we could camp in the parking lot at our kids colleges. The electric start is a nice feature and if I was to buy another one I would get it with the remote START/STOP feature. I found a place that I can order it to add to mine. There is enough power to run one AC, any lights you want, TV, water pump all at the same time. Fuel consumption is very low. I haven't clocked the hours per tank, but we take it to a state part in Connecticut where there is no power at all and can get through 3 or 4 days on a tank full. There is also a option to add a propane fuel supply. This is also one of the quietest generators I have heard in the campgrounds. You can stand right beside the unit and have a normal conversation. I wish Yamaha would make a model to install in my 5er so I didn't have to load it into the truck. It's a bit heavy so I am going to add a hoist to my garage to help with the loading now that the kids are no longer at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Generator, October 30, 2010
Bill (Fort Wayne, IN) - See all my reviews
I am very happy with this generator, does everything I hoped for, and more. The hardest part was installing the battery, made me nervous filling battery with acid. But, following the instructions it went without a hitch. I thought they forgot to include the battery strap since it was not on the battery when I took it out of generator. But, I found it lying in the battery compartment way in the back. So check if you do not see yours, it is a rubber strap. Adding the oil is a little tricky, I bought a funnel that twist around for the job. The motor wants to RUN..... after gassing up I hardly pulled the cord and it took off. I let it run for 30 minutes to charge the battery. I shut it off, and restarted it using battery power, again it took off like a shot. In the mean time I installed a transfer switch on my furnace, a couple days later. Testing the generator on the furnace I hooked up the generator, again it took off like a shot. It ran my furnace with no labor what so ever. I am ready for the ice and snow this time. Last winter I was without power 4 days, no heat no lights, no fun. Oh, yes it is a little heavy, I can lift one end, but not the whole thing, but it is on wheels, so I can move it around my garage no problem. Kind of wish the smaller wheels would swivel, then I would not have to lift and move one end, to steer it around. Yes, it is expensive, but quiet and runs smooth and worth every penny. EF3000ISE

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha EF3000iSE 3,000 Watt Generator, December 12, 2010
I highly recommend this product. I got this generator after Hurricanes Frances & Jeanne hit our state, knocked out our power for 10 days.
The first generator I got out of desperation, it was hot and we lost a refrigerator full of food...this generator was horribly loud & I knew it would be a matter of time before the neighbors complained. Thankfully I was able to sell it the following day and I immediately ordered 2- Yamaha 3000 generators, I own a duplex so the neighbor had to get one too.

Wow, what a huge difference! Even with 2 generators going at once it was much quieter than my vacuum cleaner. I was able to connect my refrigerator, TV, a standing lamp and a window AC (5,000watt) unit for nighttime use. When Jeanne hit everyone in Lighthouse Point FL seemed to have purchased those ear busting generators!

Needless to say I am very happy and pleased with my Yamaha generators. When Wilma hit in 2005 we were out of power for nearly 2 weeks and those generators came in handy. On a full tank (energy save switch on) they will last through the night 7-8 hrs. I would shut them down for the morning, refill the tanks and have them on in the afternoon.

You get what you pay for and these are excellent generators, very quiet, great for hurricane season and for camping, any outdoor events where you need power, it will do the job. Maintenance is easy, just like maintaining the engine of a car, you have to do the same with a generator. Change the oil/filter/spark plug and follow storage protocol.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha EF3000iSE very nice compared to others, January 17, 2012
Pro:
1. Electric start works every time. 2 or 3 cranks it starts.
2. Very quite.
3. Nice fit and finish.
4. The gas gauge is nice.
5. The power is very clean and runs computers with no problem.
6. I like the fuel turn off valve. You can drain all the fuel from the carb. by just turning off the fuel and letting engine run out of fuel. I hope this helps keep the carb. from gumming up.

Con:
1. The wheels are fixed and do not swivel. This means you have to pick it up to change directions and roll it. This is a very heavy machine.
2. This thing still uses still uses a manual choke in 2012. Geez!
3. Like most generators filling the oil after a change is difficult and you have to pour oil in and try to not overfill. Not easy and messy. I would love to have a glass site gauge to check oil instead of opening the panel and dipstick.
4. The rubber pad under the oil drain plug is very hard to put back after an oil change.

Nitpicks:
1. At this premium price a hour meter and tachometer should be standard equipment.

Things to be aware of:
1. You have to fill the battery with acid when you receive the machine. The provided acid filler works well.
2. You will have to buy a special cable or socket converted to use the twist lock 30 amp socket. I paid $37 for a 25 ft 30 amp cable with 3 outlets.
3. There is no lock fixture or hole. So to secure it with a cable or chain you need to loop through the machine handles and that could chip the paint.

Misc:
I had intended to convert this generator to tri-fuel using a kit from US Carburation. They list it on their site and also sell the same Yamaha generators they convert for you. I ordered the kit but they said that the company had changed the design and it would no longer work. Very disappointing for disaster preparation.

Recommendation:
I still like the generator compared others because it is so low noise and fuel efficient in econo mode. I would recommend this for camping, home or rv use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proven, January 20, 2011
We use the product on an RV every year. It's power saver feature insures the unit will run all night keeping you warm or cool (if you remember to turn it on). Easy electric starts definately a plus in regards to children/family helping set everything up. In camping situations, everyone around you will be in awe of how quiet this runs. It is pricey but worth it. Must say I am curious about the higher power unit available now, but so far have never needed any more power. If you are looking for quality and dependability, this is your generator. We have been using this for 6+ years without complaint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha 3000 Inverter/Generator, September 11, 2010
Have it for a month now...what a great machine!
(of course there wasn't free shipping for me) I still would have bought it.
Quiet, economical and its blue!
The electric start works great for my older parents.
I wish it was a 30 amp plug instead of a 25 amp, but it works where I need it to work.
Now our camp neighbors have some piece and quiet while we still have power to spare.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Generator With Only Minor Annoyances, January 27, 2013
Purchased unit after 4 day loss of power following Hurricane Irene. Hoping never to have to unpack it, but Sandy changed that. It Ran continously for 10 days following Hurricane Sandy.
Here are the PLUSES that I experienced,
- very quiet operation - no drone because of the sound proofing and casing covering the whole unit.
- very fuel efficient - a big plus - used about a gallon of fuel per day at half power in economy mode.
- Pure (though not perfect - see later) AC power to safely operate computer network, PCs, stereo and digital TVs.
- Easy starting - did not elect to install/charge battery as it was not needed and would require maintenance.
- Easily powered two forced air heating systems, 22 cu ft frost-free refrigerator, 18 cu ft frost-free freezer, FIOS phone, internet and cable modem, TV, DVD player, numerous lights and drip coffee maker!
- Easy preparation for long term storage - able to drain the carbuerator bowl (~1.5 oz of fuel)via a small valve. This is a BIG plus - no worries about gumming up the carbeurator wth long intervals of infrequent use.
- Easily secured via lockable cable through handles.
- After 1st oil change (20 hrs), frequency of change is 100 hrs - a nice long interval (4 days of continuous operation)
- Handles (rod)on both sides so unit can be pushed or pulled.
The MINUSES (minor overall, in my opinion, with some remedies noted),
- Unit is heavy.
- Wheels are small & may not move easily over some surfaces (dirt & gravel)- I placed mine on a furniture dolly to raise it off the ground making it easier to swivel & move.
- Because of the full enclosure, servicing is cumbersome (i.e., oil changes). I use a hand vacuum system to extract the oil through the filler tube. Works like a charm with no mess.
- One has to use a funnel to add oil if you don't want a mess.
- There is no timer to show engine run time. I keep a 3M post-it on the unit recording the stop & start times to determine when to service.
- Inverter power was not pure - heard hum on all phones connected to the FIOS box, but this did not affect the TV or internet service. Hum persisted even though unt was grounded.
- No 240V oulet on the panel.
- No separate reset button in case unit stops providing power in case of an overload. Unit must be shut down and restarted to reset.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, December 28, 2012
I just took delivery on this generator. I ordered the wireless remote start with it which came installed. That was a major selling point. I read a number of reviews stating that you had to fill the battery with acid. It was mentioned in the manual. But later in the manual it stated the battery was sealed and needed no service. I was a bit concerned when I couldn't find a bottle of battery acid or instructions on how to fill it. I removed the battery but it was sealed. I contacted Yamaha and they told me some of the newer models come with sealed batteries with no need to fill. I filled it with oil and gas and it popped right off. I let the battery charge for about 30 minutes and the wireless remote works like a charm. Really looking forward to festival season this summer with my new Yamaha generator and travel trailer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch generator, but heavy, April 5, 2013
The bad first:

1: It is heavy. You will need two people to lift it into a pickup truck bed. I've seen people use a game hoist so they can get it in and out by themselves.

2: Draining the oil, I recommend not bothering with the drain. Instead use an oil evacuation pump through the fill port.

3: Starting a 15,000 BTU A/C can be iffish. The "boost" model (the 3000 SEB) will be able to accomplish this task. However, without the additional 500 watts, you can still start a 15k BTU A/C, but you will need to turn off the economy mode, and get it to "spin up" by running a smaller load for a limited time. I microwave a cup of water for 30 seconds, and when the nuker clicks off, I then flip the A/C on, and the generator will function fine after that. This isn't really the fault of the generator, just the fact some A/Cs have a large inrush current. Using a hard-start capacitor kit can help a lot. In higher elevations, I'd probably consider going with another model, or the 4500 watt Yamaha.

Of course, the good points, which give the generator five stars:

1: It is easy to fill and maintain. So far, it has never left me stranded, and has started on the first pull, even in 20 degree weather.

2: In winter, I leave it on with the economy switch engaged if there is nobody around. This can give almost a 16-20 hour run time, especially when the main reason it is being run is to help offset the 10 amp-hour draw from the RV furnace, which can drain batteries dry in a night.

3: It is as quiet as a portable generator can get. Generators are still noisy no matter what one does, but there is a difference from being able to have a conversation with the generator a few feet away versus having to walk 40-50 feet away to hear anything.

4: I either get 120 volts or nothing (except for a brief drop when the A/C compressor comes on). This is important because low voltage kills equipment. The electricity put out is a pure sine wave, and safe for electronics as opposed to some generators which can cause damage due to surges and spikes.

5: With the remote kit, it is almost as good as having an inbuilt Onan genset, although with less run time due to the smaller gas tank.

Would I get this again? I'd probably go for the SEB, "boost" model instead just because it can handle the locked rotor amps of an A/C compressor better. However, I definitely do not regret buying this model in any way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be Better, October 22, 2011
Battery is supplied for starting but will need assembly with supplied acid then charged. When looking at pictures you may think those are swivel wheels on front, they do not swivel. This means you have to drag or lift the front off ground to turn it. Going across yard or gravel would be more difficult. Starts and operates great as expected. Has external fuel shut off knob, also a drain valve on carb. Two panels for oil, plug, or carb service are easy to remove. Battery tray removal will require six bolts but not difficult.
Cannot review usage ability, have not had to use it for backup and hope I don't need to.

Below added 4/14/2013.
I recently had to help my friend get his comparable Honda started after sitting for 3 months, no big deal. This Yamaha has never failed to start and easily, it has been very reliable for the almost 2 years of ownership.
Added 12/2/2013.
Due to lack of use, battery was weak during last start up. Unit self charges battery when run more frequently. I have this as a backup for local power outages and since purchase that hasn't happened. I run it 30 min about every 6 months for test and service check. I will be adding Battery Tender cord to battery for easy external charging while in garage.