4.0 out of 5 stars Agreed, a great receiver for the money
I am writing this as a review of the *receiver*, NOT the amazon listing, it obviously is misrepresented here as it is NOT XM-ready, but that's no reason to bash the product itself.

Published on October 24, 2005 by M. Campbell

2.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to use
The sound is great, the features fantastic, and you'll never be able to appreciate them, because the controls are impossible, and the manual worthless.

Published on September 1, 2009 by zbald1

4.0 out of 5 stars Agreed, a great receiver for the money, October 24, 2005
This review is from: Yamaha HTR-5830 5.1-Channel A/V Surround Receiver (OLD VERSION) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

I got this receiver to replace my old Pro-Logic that has served me well but is way past its prime. I really like the Yamaha RX-V657, but as I'm not ready to spend $500 right now, I decided to "settle" on this as a stopgap receiver.

I was surprised when I got it - this receiver is beefy, very heavy and well constructed. Even for an "entry-level" there are tons of features, and the remote is programmable to control other things, such as my DVD player (which it did out of the box, since it's also a Yamaha) and my TV, which is an RCA, with codes included in the box. Presto-chango, now I can switch inputs on the TV, seek DVDs, and edit the soundfields all from my receiver remote, without having to pay for a universal! Very nice.

I won't recap the specs, but subjectively it has a great sound, noticeably less distortion than my old amp on instrumentals. I will point out a couple of flaws: It only has two optical inputs, which may be a limitation to some (but for me, to get it for my DVD and my digital cable is good enough), and it only has RCA inputs for video. This sucks, since you can't use it as an S-Video switch and connect your TV just to the Video output. But, I will just switch the input on my TV manually, oh well, not a big deal. The banana jacks don't have through-holes, so you just have to wedge the wire underneath it and crank it down. Again, slightly inconvenient, but not a deal killer.

I had to pick out a few things I don't like that knocked it down to a 4, but overall and *especially* for the price, I am very impressed with this receiver.

P.S. Just to clear up any ambiguity:

RCA Video = 640 x 480 resolution = Not that great.
S-Video = 800 x 600 resolution = Much better, and widely available on even inexpensive TVs.
Component = Best resolution, but not as widely available.

Update 2/6/06: The Amazon listing has now removed any references to XM, which is great. I've been pleased with the receiver thus far, I have it hooked up to my DVD player via the optical input and once a DVD starts playing, it automatically switches the soundfield to Dolby Digital, and back to the previous setting when it stops (which is usually Dolby PL2 Music for my use). Great sound in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Receiver for the money!!!, September 15, 2005
Two of the reviews on here address the fact this receiver is not XM Ready and were misinformed. True it's not XM ready and true it did say in the review that it was XM ready.

This is my second Yamaha receiver, my first I bought in 1999 and paid about 799.00 for, this one sounds and performs just as well in most all areas. The fact it has Component Video pass thru is nice as well, my only gripe is that it has only 3 Digital inputs, but for the price can't beat it.

That being said the best place for specs on this unit is on the Yamaha web site. To be honest I have XM radio and I would never even think of adding to this or another receiver,first you must add the antenna about $49.00, and then you pay the same $12.95 a month for a slimmed down version of XM.

Very limited screen info with this unit when hooked to XM, better off buying a closeout Roady 2 for about 40 bucks and adding a home kit for around 20.

2.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to use, September 1, 2009
zbald1 "zbald1" (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews

Quick! Change the volume level of the center speaker. Just try. You'll have to push a button on the remote, after you push a button on the remote that isn't documented, then you'll be able to get to the control. The buttons for changing between 5.1 and 6.1 on the front panel, as well as the remote, are easy to find, for all you folks that swap out speaker systems daily. If you want to change balance, make a pot of coffee and a sandwich.

5.0 out of 5 stars The little receiver that does., December 19, 2010
joyserve (Jacksonville,FL) - See all my reviews
To all the review writers that ether had problems or couldn't understand the manual, I've had my receiver 4 years now and it just fine, I wanted a nice rig but easy on the wallet, at the time i got this from Best Buy for $125 and since then I've gotten nothing but enjoyment out of it, added a pioneer 15 band graphic EQ and a fisher (old school) stereo reverb unit,bose cube speakers and can create any type of sound i choose, The HTR-5830 is connected to my dishnetwork dual HD receiver, 42" Sony HDTV and Sony (BR) DVD. Unless it dies or something freaky happens to it, This will be the mainstay of my system. If it's still around give it a chance,you don't have to spend a lot of money (unless that's what you wish to do) to have greatness in your living room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immpresive sound output., December 12, 2007
I purchased this product a couple of years ago and its really amazing. Does a real neat job even with not so expensive speakers. I would recommend this product for sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars A/B is not the same as A+B, August 29, 2005
I bought the receiver to replace my Harman Kardon HK3375, which was too deep to fit in my new shelves. Not only was the sound noticeably inferior to the HK, but it provided only "A" or "B" speakers but not at the same time. I spent all that time trying to find an inexpensive system that was shallow enough to fit my shelves, and somehow overlooked the inability to play in two rooms at the same time. Add to that the confusing interface. Anyway, this failure pushed me to find a different place to install my existing HK.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad technology, November 1, 2013
The volume does not turn up manually. You have to use the remote. The optical cord I bought from Amazon does not fit into its optical slot.

1.0 out of 5 stars worked for 6 months....., November 4, 2006
Dr Dan "RockStar in Life!" (Newport Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
sounded good for the money. but then it broke 6 months later. if you buy it make sure you get a replacement warranty. I am going to buy a better one next time. you get what you pay for.

Rate and Discover Movies