Top positive review
131 people found this helpful
Outstanding Compact (Shelf) Stereo!
on September 1, 2013
After reading reviews on at least 4-6 different shelf stereos, I decided to buy the Yamaha MCR-232BL Micro Component System. I am very happy with my decision and thankful to other reviewers who helped in my purchase decision.
1. CD Player (with AM/FM Tuner) - I hate listening to compressed digital audio, MP3s, etc. I own an iPod Touch but I like to listen to my CDs and am not a 'jukebox' listener. I enjoy listening to entire albums from start to finish.
2. Small footprint - I was looking to replace an old Compact (yet bulky) stereo system from the early 2000s that included a tape deck, and wanted a stereo which would fit any of the shelves in my book case (open back) and blend in with the books.
3. High quality non plastic build and components - I used a Yamaha that belonged to a friend and was quite impressed with the superior build quality and the clean, rich sound it produced.
4. Inexpensive - My budget was $300 for a shelf stereo and I purchased my unit from Amazon Warehouse, so it was a little cheaper than a brand new unit, albeit, in just as good condition and in its original packaging, nothing missing and some of the components had never been opened.
Here's a short list of things I like and dislike:
1. For its size, the features, sound output and quality are outstanding. (I have yet to use the FM Tuner and will update the review later). The entire stereo (receiver and speakers) together are smaller than a single speaker on my old stereo, but deliver a far superior quality listening experience (without the annoying multi-colored equilizer display).
2. USB, 30 pin iPod digital dock - I plan on buying a Bluetooth Audio Receiver (which plugs into the iPod dock on this stereo) to pair my Galaxy S3 and my laptop to be able to stream Pandora or YouTube (that's where I sample music before buying) on occasion.
3. Impressive, sleek, clean, unobtrusive appearance - The matte black finish on the receiver and the black wooden finish on the speakers is about as clean as I could have asked for.
4. Price to performance - Outstanding value for the money!
5. Remote Control - The remote control is a pretty good accompaniment to this unit, although i haven't used it much (I enjoy listening to albums from start to finish, so once I drop the CD in, the autoplay feature kicks in.)
6. Bass, Treble, Balance Controls (Remote Only) - The unite comes pre-programmed to play at 0 levels for Bass and Treble (limits are +/- 10). At that level, the sound is rather flat. I turned the Bass to +8 and the Treble to +4 and it made a huge difference.
7. Subwoofer output - Nice, as I plan on pairing it with a subwoofer in the near future.
1. Input poor - This unit has only a single Aux In Terminal (Although the USB and iPod Docking Ports are a plus). This is where I depart from some of the reviewers. It is OK to have a shelf stereo which does everything except serve as a HDTV speaker.
2. .. - That's it.
To sum it up..if you are in the market for a compact shelf stereo that will play your audio CDs, AM/FM radio and do it all with clean, powerful sounding speakers, buy this unit. As with all purchases, it is important to list what you want out of a stereo before buying it to avoid being disappointed. I am very happy with this purchase and would highly recommend it to others interested in getting the same out of a stereo as i was.
Note: I purchased a previously used (opened) unit from Amazon Warehouse. The item condition and repackaging was as good as new in original packing.