Yamaha NS-333 2-Way Bass Reflex Bookshelf Speakers (Pair)
Price:$169.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 15, 2008
I ordered these from another online vendor a couple years ago to use as side and rear surround speakers in a 7.1 channel setup. I also ordered the NS-777s floor standing towers + the NS-C444 center channel. These are very nice speakers but you need to break them in for a long time. These speakers have a bass reflex design eg they're ported. These speakers are also known to have a slightly recessed mid frequency output, but overall they sound very good for the money. They are perfect for home theater applications. They are clear with music but again the mids are slightly recessed. The highs from these speakers are very strong and metallic because it uses an aluminum dome tweeter. They sound similar to the titanium domes. The highs are not soft/smooth like silk/fabric domes. The metal dome coupled to the integrated waveguide disperses the highs very well though. The cabinets have a very nice glossy piano black finish to them which makes them look very expensive and classy. They are also hefty at around 12lbs each. It's unfortunate that Yamaha has stopped using their trademark white spruce cones in their speakers. Those cones were the best.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Do you have a BMW or shop in Birmingham Michigan? If yes, you can afford to waste big money getting that bigger speaker name. Five percent more listening pleasure for 200% more money. Go for it! For the working man... these beauties are a rare find. I love these speakers...with the sub woofer. The price, quality, reviews, listening experience grabbed me. I love it when I can clearly hear separation left, right or center (NS-444 displaying excellent musical separation. I sit in my chair and squirm like a kid. Hey, I'm 61. The quality is there. The piano black Finnish is superb. The Yamaha NS-333 price is for the working man. The quality is for The Beamers. The sound is for all of us.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2011
Verified Purchase
These speakers were used as my rear surround in my entertainment setup. For 4 years, they served their purpose flawlessly. I've pushed them to their wattage limit and past it, with no issues whatsoever. I highly recommend these speakers, as they are probably the best bang-for-your-buck you'll find. And you CANNOT beat the piano finish for that price, just amazing.
on October 20, 2011
Lets just say that my roommate had this big setup of bose speakers. At first we only set up the 301 V's and I remember being OK with them until we set up the rest of the 7.1 speaker system. I'm not too smart when it comes to specific details regarding speakers, i just know I like quality and I can tell the difference between 128kbps and 320. I just received these Yamaha speakers and I have to say they blow Bose away. You can hear both the highs and the lows. I cannot wait until I receive my NS-777's and the center speaker. Even though I've been used to the 7.1 setup, I'm sure the 5 speakers will do just fine. I'm in this little 735sq ft apartment and I'm sure I'm going to get a noise violation for it all :) Also, I would NOT take the time to write a review if I was unhappy or just OK with these speakers. Who knew little speakers like this could produce the sound it produces. Never thought I'd buy Yamaha but they have really shined a new light for me.
on August 23, 2011
For years I have run a pair of Paradigm Titans. Very nice, clean, small bookshelf speakers which served my purposes beautifully. Most recently, I've been using them with a budget Receiver (Sherwood RX-4109, available on Amazon for as little as $100 or so) to watch TV and listen to the occasional CD. Most of my serious (and/or loud) music listening is in my car or at the NPR station where I host a show (KPRG, 89.3 FM, Guam).

The Titans worked fine, until my daughter, home from college, blew them up. Paradigm wouldn't sell a replacement pair via mail, so I went shopping. I stumbled across a deal on these Yamahas. They sounded nearly as good as the Titans, but lacked a bit of, I guess I'd call it "fullness" that the Paradigms had. I don't necessarily want deep, thumping bass, but the presence of the Yamahas was compromised by a lack of bottom end, like a skinny singer compared to an equally talented one with a serious diaphragm.

I then found a deal on the Yamaha YST-SW216 powered Subwoofer. What a difference. Even on this VERY modest budget, I have studio-like sound in my house. Blows away any cheapo stereo I've ever heard, and absolutely destroys those "Home Theater in a BOX" setups.
Movies sound like you're at the movies. CDs sound far better than they do in the car (and I have a very nice stereo in the car).

For about $350-$400 you can do a simple stereo receiver, the NS-333s and the subwoofer, and unless you're a real stereo snob with no budgetary limitations, I think you'll be very happy. I know I am.

I would NOT be happy with these without a subwoofer, but with the Yamaha sub I just love them, and think they're an unbeatable deal.
on September 25, 2005
I was Impressed with the sound that these speakers produced in my small living room. Keep in mind that this is a Mid to Hi-range Speaker, so for the Low range, you will need a Sub. (If you use these for your front speakers.)

In addition, the NS-555 and -777 is essentually the same as the -333(given, larger enclosure) with 2 low-range speakers (with seperate +/- Posts). I own a set of 777's

IMO: For cinema it may be best to buy 2 or 3 pair for a 6/7 channel reciever and a Sub woofer, than to spend money on the (2)555 or (2)777. Ultimately its up to the buyer, the 777's are great (bi-amped)with music and not sold in pairs like the 333's.

2013 nov update--
These have held up to Movies and still sound like the day they broke in. I reccommend that these get 115+ watts RMS. I have a ONKYO TX-SR7xx series Reciever. I use these as the back Surround channel. Sound is crisp in DTS-HD and Dolby-trueHD.
on April 29, 2013
Verified Purchase
Excellent finish, good looking. Full sound. Good output down to 50Hz and below - especially for the size. No, these aren't $8,000 speakers. I've spent plenty of time listening to five-figure systems, and these little speakers don't offend my ears. For a modest price, they rock.
on January 14, 2013
Verified Purchase
Let's just say these speakers are worth every penny. I had looked and sampled several speaker setups from many different manufacturers over the last several years (Basically everything in my local store) so i decided to go online. Anyway, I connected everything up and they sounded AWESOME from the the start. Most setups I have had to tweak the EQ to get things to sound right but these were great without any modifications. In fact after I ran them through the break-in period they sound better and better every time I use them. Most speakers you can hear where the sound is coming from but these project the sound into the room surrounding you with music. Did I mention they were AWESOME! No need to turn on the simulated surround or any other sound fields for that mater.

Currently I'm using them as my mains but when I can save up some more cash I'll be swapping them to the rear speakers and get the NS-555's. If you simply need a set of bookshelf speakers for music these bad boys are all you will need. Some have reported the lack of bass but that isn't entirely true. Yes, these will not rattle your core (that's what a sub is for) but they do a very good job at reproducing the low end for music reproduction. In fact these speakers are very good at reproducing the entire frequency range. The reason I'm upgrading to the NS-555 for the main and setting these in the surround position is because the NS-555 are floor models and will look better with my setup but the NS-333 can handle it on their own.

I would consider myself an audiophile. I'm always looking for the best and I run professional audio equipment at my church for live concerts (indoor and outdoor performances). I hope my review helps you in your decision.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 13, 2012
Verified Purchase
I recently upgraded my AV equipment, purchasing several items from Amazon (Pioneer VSX-821-K 5.1 Home Theater Receiver, Glossy Black, and Yamaha NS-C444 2-Way Center Channel Speaker, NS-333 2-Way Bass Reflex Bookshelf Speakers (Pair), and Yamaha NS-SW210BL Advanced YST II Subwoofer - Each (Black)). The reviews were key in making my choices, as were considerations of size (due to the fit into the entertainment cabinet) and "wifely boundaries" concerning what could go where. Floor towers were out! <g>).

I'm amazed by the diversity of opinion - although largely favorable - expressed in the reviews, as with the reviews for the Yamaha NS-C444. Using Amazon reviews is, for me, a necessity. Filtering them for relevance and credibility is also necessary, eh?

Growing up in the early hey days of Rock n' Roll (Chuck Berry, anyone?), my hearing is not what it once was. Still, the audio quality of the Yamaha speakers exceeds expectations. The response across frequencies is pleasing, with no overemphasis that I can detect (based on many hours of listening to a variety of music on Pandora).

An obsessive audiophile or musicologist might find something lacking, and prefer studio grade speakers. Of course, such speakers cost an arm and a leg. For a fussy consumer like myself, these are perfect. For me, the speakers are optimal fits on the price point-performance graph.

As noted, the "piano finish" on the bookshelf and center speakers will be pleasing to most. The subwoofer has a lesser quality but adequate finish on wood.

The size and weight of these speakers are listed in the specifications. However, they seem larger and heavier than I anticipated. Which is not a problem, per se, but if space is tight, some careful measuring is in order.

Having read the power specifications on the Yamaha pages, the power demand is less than anticipated. The Pioneer receiver easily handles the load, generating minimal heat even over several hours of listening to music at a moderately high volume.

The audio environment for the equipment is located in a large ca. 25x25 room with a twelve foot ceiling and one wall that is almost entirely glass. The auto sound setup feature of the Pioneer made the appropriate adjustments - at least to my ears - for the system. Room size might be a relevant consideration for others, but the system has no problem filling the local environment with pleasing sound.

Finally, the Yamaha speakers are a significant audio upgrade over the more expensive but much older JVC speakers they replaced. Alas, wifely veto precludes replacing the older JVC rear speakers (which admittedly blend into the wall quite nicely).
on November 10, 2008
I am currently using these as my fronts until I get the standing speakers, however they are great surrounds! Perfect size, and enough power for a trilling sound experience. My Yamaha receiver has drastically sounded better the moment I replace my old Philips speakers with these. There is great depth and realism. I recommend Yamaha speakers for sure!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations