5.0 out of 5 stars Buy These Speakers NOW!
After doing a ton of research on outdoor speakers, I finally settled on these Yamahas, mainly because the price was so ridiculously low ($59.95 for the pair, including mounting hardware) that I felt I couldn't go wrong, especially since my next choice (Polk) would have cost me nearly twice as much.

I mounted these babies on the back wall of my house, about...
Published on June 27, 2007 by Patrick Michael

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for the money and it seems to be pretty durable as well!
I have had this for almost a year now and being in Florida it has been exposed to quite a bit of moisture. They still sound as good as they did the first day I bought them. The only issue I had was that the grill on one of them fell off and I had to pop it back on. Besides that it sounds very good for background music while throwing an outdoor party!

UPDATE...
Published 4 months ago by ReviewMaster

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy These Speakers NOW!, June 27, 2007

I mounted these babies on the back wall of my house, about four feet apart, just under the eave, so that they pointed out at the deck. Although the mounting brackets are included, Yamaha does NOT include any screws to secure these brackets to the wall. I ended up using some 2-1/2 inch long wood screws...but your application may differ depending on how or with what your house is sided.

Yamaha also does NOT include speaker cable. I used some cheap 12-gauge stuff from Best Buy but 14 or 16-gauge lamp cord (also known as zip cord) from any hardware store will work just as well. Seeing as the speakers will be outside, I don't recommend the usual cheap, thin speaker cable that you normally see. Use the heavy stuff.

I hooked the Yamahas up to a Marantz 2240B receiver from the '70s and good God almighty, the sound is absolutely fantastic! Bass, you ask? The bass was so powerful, I had to turn the loudness control OFF! It seems that the location of the speakers up by the eave serves to reinforce the bass quite well, thank you.

Midrange comes through great. Both male and female vocals, as well as rock band stuff, is crystal clear. Nice highs as well. This system sounded so good that we ended up sitting outside until well after dark.

For something to sound as good as these speakers do, for as little money as I had to shell out, is absolutely fantastic. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for 95% of us., December 14, 2005
Walter (LOS ANGELES, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
I read the excellent reviews for these speakers and was skeptical. However, the price was right so there wasn't much risk. So . . . I bought a pair. The reviews were spot on. They sound is terrific, the price was unbeatable, and look is very acceptable (even to my Interior Designer wife). Unless you are an audio perfectionist, you'll never get a better price/performance value.

5.0 out of 5 stars look no further, May 25, 2005
I got them for less then 70$..and they sound as good as any 300+ outdoor speakers I have heard. Excellent value and great sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tornado Destroyed my Porch, but the Speakers Survived!, February 16, 2012
Daniel Crowdus (Lawrenceville, GA USA) - See all my reviews
A few weeks after installing these on my back porch, my house got hit by a tornado. My back porch was literally in bits and pieces. It was a wood framed covered porch. Half the porch was in shambles behind my house and the other half was two houses down in my neighbors front yard. One of these speakers was under a pile of debris in my yard, and the other was with the other half of the porch two houses down laying in my neighbors front yard along with porch debris.

Instead of tossing the speakers in the trash I decided to toss them in the shed (which had moved but was still standing) just in case they still worked.

Fast forward three months and my house is pretty much repaired with a new porch. Tonight I decided to hook the speakers up to see if they somehow managed to survive a tornado. The brackets were still attached and only one of the side screw knobs was broken off, but could still tighten since only the actual screw was still in place. The grills were slightly dented and they both have lots of scuffs.

Anyway, I plugged them in, cranked up Spotify, and hit power on the receiver.... and booming crisp sound pumped out of both speakers sounding just as awesome as the day I bought them.

I'm normally pretty lazy when it comes to posting reviews, but I felt like this was worthy of a quick post. If durability is your concern, then these speakers should certainly get some consideration. I'm also impressed with the sound quality, though I admit I am no expert and have not owned other outdoor speakers to compare them to.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are great speakers!, June 27, 2005
These are great speakers. My husband put them up over the weekend and wow what spectacular sound. It was packaged well and came with all the mounting necessities. We love listening to 50's jazz and the crispness of the cymbals and the brushes on the snare give you chills. Never again will we go back to large bulky speakers. These are on the wall and out of the way. The seller got them to us quickly and we want to thank you Amazon for being there yet again. Sincerely, The Escondio Macs

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, not much bass, September 17, 2007
Most of the reviews say the same thing, but I figured I'd say it again. Speakers sound great for the price, right out of the box and I'm going directly from my receiver with 50 feet of outdoor speaker wire from Radio Shack to the speakers out on my deck...the only thing missing is a little more bass...but overall, you can't beat 'em.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT speakers!!!!, June 28, 2011
I've now purchased 3 sets of these speakers. I bought the first set a few months ago because I wanted inexpensive waterproof speakers to get some music to our outdoor pool area. These speakers had good reviews, and for the price I figured I couldn't go wrong. I was right. They have excellent sound, and look great mounted to the side of the deck. The speakers have both great bass and treble. The sound quality stays clean even when pushed hard, or at least loud enough that it would annoy the neighbors.

I was so impressed with these, I bought a second set for my sister and brother in law as a gift. They were looking for a good sounding outdoor speaker as well, and I knew they'd like these. The speakers have a 5 star review from them too.

So, last week I ordered a third pair to install in my boat. I knew the speakers sounded great, and since they are waterproof, it was an easy decision to get these yet again. I have an inboard tournament ski boat with the engine at the center of the boat. I thought the bass would get muffled by the sound of the engine, and I'd either need a second set of speakers or a sub to get the sound I was after. I'm happy to say that after installing them (hooked to a Jensen MSR-2007 from Amazon also) they sound so good, and have so much bass, even loud, that I won't need a sub or second set.

These are by far the best pair of outdoor speakers for under $60 you will ever buy, hands down. I'm sold on these for good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful, especially for the price (unless you listen to doo-doo), July 23, 2013
I purchased these speakers a few weeks ago for our new patio and have been extremely pleased with them thus far. I live in Florida where, at best, the weather is "challenging". I was slightly skeptical about the weather proofing on these prior to purchasing them, but the price was right so I thought I'd give them a shot. I have a decent amount of other Yamaha audio equipment so I wasn't at all worried about the fidelity (every Yamaha product I own sounds wonderful), but just thought "they have to be cutting corners somewhere" to get that price down so low. They are over $30 less pricey than their Polk equivalent.

Like all Yamaha gear, the build quality is top notch. I'm also happy to report that after almost a month in crazy Florida weather, these speakers look like they've been indoors the whole time. The weather proofing is fantastic, they fill our patio with crisp highs and very full lows (especially when you consider they only have 5 inch speakers). If your music of choice is doo-doo-step or the hippity-hop, don't expect the bass to shatter your ear drums or blow the windows out of your neighbors house. You'll still need to crank that stuff in your Civic to fully enjoy the boom-boom. But, for the rest of the world, the dynamic range on these speakers is fantastic.

Keep in mind when purchasing these that they don't come with speaker cables, so you'll need to figure that out on your own.. but I believe in you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed and glad I didn't spend more, June 11, 2012
I was looking at Polk speakers at the time I ran across these. I started reading reviews. I'm pretty picky about speakers and sound quality. I was very surprised how great and crisp these speakers are. The most impressive aspect was the sound projection. They project well to the sides as well as forward. I mounted them under the eve of the house over looking the pool. They are mounted 10' apart and face straight out. The loudness is the same at 15' in front as 5'. The loudness at 90 degrees to the side seems almost the same too. I have recommended these speakers to several friends since I have installed mine. I have only had them for a few weeks so I can't comment on how well they will last. I don't suspect there will be any problems with them any time soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love speakers!, July 10, 2008
These speakers are working great so far! I purchased them about a month ago to mount outside my house. I live right on the ocean and the salt water seems to ruin everything we leave outside, but these guys are really holding up. I'm so happy with my purchase, and they were very cheap compared to others.