5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!
Published on March 5, 2012 by Adam Czap

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Speakers for the Money
Chose these speakers for a whole house audio system. Just bought one pair to see how the system sounded and whether the ABUS system would power speakers sufficiently. The system definitely provides power, but the speakers lack clarity. Might be OK as part of surround systems as others have indicated they have used them. Will probably buy a different pair for the other...
Published 21 months ago by Greg

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, March 5, 2012
This review is from: Yamaha NS-IW280CWH 6.5" 3-Way In-Ceiling Speaker System (White, Pair) (Electronics)
I am an experienced home theater buff and am currently running these speakers with a 3.2kW 7.1 custom installed system in my home. I could not be happier with the performance of these speakers. People often over-estimate the need to spend big money on the rear speakers since all they do is produce the "surround" sound. I considered the B&W ceiling speakers to match my front speakers, but at over $750 for those I determined it wasn't worth it. I'm of the opinion that it's not necessary to overspend and was looking for a 3-way option that has an adjustable directional tweeter. These fit the bill so I gave them a shot... wow! Great buy and they sound awesome! I would recommend these to anyone in a surround application, but I would definitely NOT use them for front speakers as they are just too small and won't produce enough sound on the lower end because of their smaller size.

PS- the construction quality is top-notch and the installation was very easy in my ceiling tiles via drywall saw and the template they gave me. Install took 30 minutes or so per speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Surround Speakers - Let me tell you why!, November 27, 2012
This is the 4th pair I've bought because these speakers are great. Let me explain the dimensions a little better since the 6.5" might be confusing. The actual hole you make in your ceiling is 10 inches, the woofer is 6.5 inches with the two tweeters in front of it. The great thing about these speakers is that the woofer is angled and positioned within its casing so the woofer speaker can be pointed in the direction to where you are listening. The two tweeters are also adjustable so they can point in the direction of the listener. This is super important to do when installing these, so make sure to point the woofer by turning the entire casing to the desired position so its angled towards the listener, then move the individual tweeters to point towards the listener as well. It comes with an easy card board template for cutting out the hole, so place it on the ceiling and use a pencil to draw the cutting line, just make sure you go in the attic or use a stud finder to make sure you cut the ceiling BETWEEN the studs with enough room for an 8 inch diameter hole. These speakers also have a nice white grill to cover the speaker, put a 3 or 4 of those black sticky things on the edge of the grill and carefully put the grill in the speaker (be sure to take out the plastic insert inside the grill, that plastic insert is just for shipping the product). The black sticky things are to keep the grill from ever falling. When installing the grill make sure not to force it, make sure all edges of the circle go in evenly..otherwise you'll bend the grill. That's it, so super EASY install, great sound... and remember, these take up an 10" hole even though it says 6.5" because they are talking about the woofer. Hopefully this helps anyone installing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha NS-IW280CWH 6.5" speakers, Rock + Easy Install, May 7, 2011
The Yamaha NS-IW280CWH 6.5" speakers are priced just right for the homeowner looking to expand or start a new built-in system. They fit nicely between my 2x8 ceiling joist depth and the floor above. Yamaha also threw in good advice for the novice, especially mentioning about surrounding the speakers area with insulation (not touching the speaker though) to get the most sound definition out of the speakers. The speakers install easily with simple instructions and they are well designed. I talking both physically and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The sound quality and clarity hit the famous Yamaha high note right on the money. Highly recommend these babies to all!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good surround sound for home theater., July 31, 2012
These are very well-constructed, inexpensive, and fine-sounding surround speakers. I use them for presence speakers (above the front floor speakers) in my home theater system; you could also use them for surround side speakers. I use the more expensive and better sounding Yamaha NS-IW480CWH 8.0" 3-Way In-Ceiling Speakers for my rear speakers. My other Polk speakers (RT10 fronts, CSi A4 center, and PSW505 subwoofer) are driven by a Yamaha RX-V1065. Incredible sound!

Each IW-280 speaker weighs 3.3 pounds and measures 10-9/32'' in diameter and 5-1/32'' deep. The 6.5'' woofer is tilted at 12 degrees from vertical and the tweeters swivel somewhat for directional sound. Be careful installing the grills; if you bend them, they will not fit right. If you want to remove the grills after installation, straighten a paper clip, put a 90 degree bend about a 1/4'' from one end, insert the bent end into one of the holes in the grill about a half inch from the outer edge, and pull down gently.

In-ceiling speakers like these Yamahas are so nice for surround sound because they essentially disappear into your ceiling. After overcoming the challenges of running speaker wires through your walls and ceiling, the installation of these speakers is quite easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to install and sounds great!, February 13, 2012
Niqster (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
Okay, let me preface this with a little personal fact. I am a 40ish female with some DIY skills.
This was an easy install and it took me more time deciding where i wanted to place them ithan nstalling them. Now when I mean installing them I talking about cutting the hole and placement. Feeding the wires through my ceiling joists took alittle more time because I had to go into the attic crawl space.
The quality of the speakers are superb and I'm very happy with the sound which is fantastic. I can't believe how great they look and sound and I would get the same kind when I do my upstairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars quality product at great price, February 8, 2009
i ordered these speaker and couldnt wait till i received them which was about a week later checked ups site i knew they had arrived in las vegas and would be delivered to me that day the door bell rang ups left speakers at my front door .very easy to install took about 1 1/2 hours to install 4 speakers .sound is very nice natural sound that only yamaha produces not over powering and loud i like yamaha audio products.my only compliant is the glue strips that hold the grill in place are black in color makes the grill look a little messy around the edges.i will order 2 more speakers later so i can install 7.1 surround.i recommend this product price was a bargin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Won't be disappointed, October 15, 2013
I set this up in my Great Room with 7.1 surround sound with Yamaha Receiver and it sounds amazing. Just like in the theater, the room shakes. Make sure you buy a good subwoofer. These speakers are great and give plenty of sound even for use as a center speaker. I am very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speakers, August 25, 2013
Purchased 4 speakers and placed in our new kitchen and living room ceilings. They are perfect. Easy to install, great sounds... would recommended to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers!, October 22, 2012
I installed 8 of these speakers in our house. We originally placed 4 of these in our family room for surround sound speakers, which they were great as. We liked them so much we bought 4 more and installed 2 above our bed in our master bedroom and 2 in the master bathroom. The sound is great for both music and television/movies. In the bathroom the speakers do sound a little less full, but this is clearly attributed to the echo from tile and bathroom finishes. Each speaker comes with a template to cut out the ceiling. Very easy to use, but I would encourage anyone to watch a ceiling speaker install video on youtube first prior to cutting holes in the ceiling. Upon install, I incorrectly estimated the location of a ceiling joist, which resulted in a regrettable patch and texture. The correct method is to take the template, draw your line, place a bent wire hanger to size in the middle of the template, poke through drywall at center, push through and check clearances for the cut by rotating the wire hanger the full circumference of the proposed cut (just trust me and watch the install video :-) . I would buy them again (and have) and would recommend to a friend to try them out, if they like them, BUY THEM! I have been very happy with them in all of my applications.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Value, January 3, 2013
I had a pair of these professionally installed this afternoon, and both me and the installer were really impressed with the value. Under $80 for a pair of well built speakers sent overnight (thanks Prime) is really impressive. The woofers are slightly angled, which allows you to easily direct the sound to the listening position. They installed very easily, and the included cardboard template was much nicer than templates I've seen in cheaper kits. The speakers have nice binding posts, and a large crossover. The two tweeters are suspended above the woofer, and are aim-able.

The speakers were well packed, and arrived undamaged. The grills easily snap into place, but Yamaha also included some sticky strips to use with the grills if needed. I opted to go without them. Sound quality is very good, especially considering the price and convenience. I installed them as rear channel surrounds in a simple 5.1 setup. I can easily see them being used as side surrounds in a 7 channel setup. One little bonus, they have a relatively narrow bezel, which contributes to them being smaller overall. Some speakers I've seen have 1" or more in bezel alone, not the case here.

There might be cheaper speakers out there, but this pair is a great compromise between value and quality.

Rate and Discover Movies