Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Size: 100-Watts|Style: 2 Speakers|Change

on March 5, 2012
I am an experienced home theater buff and am currently running these speakers with a 3.2kW 7.1 custom installed system in my home. I could not be happier with the performance of these speakers. People often over-estimate the need to spend big money on the rear speakers since all they do is produce the "surround" sound. I considered the B&W ceiling speakers to match my front speakers, but at over $750 for those I determined it wasn't worth it. I'm of the opinion that it's not necessary to overspend and was looking for a 3-way option that has an adjustable directional tweeter. These fit the bill so I gave them a shot... wow! Great buy and they sound awesome! I would recommend these to anyone in a surround application, but I would definitely NOT use them for front speakers as they are just too small and won't produce enough sound on the lower end because of their smaller size.

PS- the construction quality is top-notch and the installation was very easy in my ceiling tiles via drywall saw and the template they gave me. Install took 30 minutes or so per speaker.
33 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2012
This is the 4th pair I've bought because these speakers are great. Let me explain the dimensions a little better since the 6.5" might be confusing. The actual hole you make in your ceiling is 10 inches, the woofer is 6.5 inches with the two tweeters in front of it. The great thing about these speakers is that the woofer is angled and positioned within its casing so the woofer speaker can be pointed in the direction to where you are listening. The two tweeters are also adjustable so they can point in the direction of the listener. This is super important to do when installing these, so make sure to point the woofer by turning the entire casing to the desired position so its angled towards the listener, then move the individual tweeters to point towards the listener as well. It comes with an easy card board template for cutting out the hole, so place it on the ceiling and use a pencil to draw the cutting line, just make sure you go in the attic or use a stud finder to make sure you cut the ceiling BETWEEN the studs with enough room for an 8 inch diameter hole. These speakers also have a nice white grill to cover the speaker, put a 3 or 4 of those black sticky things on the edge of the grill and carefully put the grill in the speaker (be sure to take out the plastic insert inside the grill, that plastic insert is just for shipping the product). The black sticky things are to keep the grill from ever falling. When installing the grill make sure not to force it, make sure all edges of the circle go in evenly..otherwise you'll bend the grill. That's it, so super EASY install, great sound... and remember, these take up an 10" hole even though it says 6.5" because they are talking about the woofer. Hopefully this helps anyone installing.
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2008
I put two pairs of these in my living room and am very impressed with the sound quality and the bass output (I don't have a subwoofer connected).
These are well built speakers and installation was very easy with the provided template. The swivel tweeter however did not have any impact on sound quality at different listening positions.
After a comparison with Polk RC-80i, I would give these speakers a higher grade than the Polks.
on August 24, 2008
I was nervous about installation having never mounted one before.

The template provided worked fine, don't cut any smaller than the hole you have traced out. I learned to cut just outside the line for best fit.

I found the best tool for cutting the dry-wall was a jigsaw blade in a vice-grip.

The connectors for the wires are a very high-quality spring-loaded design. Very easy to connect he wires with when you are up on a ladder.

The cosmetic grill that covers the speaker can snap into place without any tools or need of the included adhesive pad. Worst case, you may have to pry or pound it in with your fist gently.

Sound great so far. I also used a lot of leftover inslation around the spaker between the floor joists to accoustically insulate them. I have one set of these in my basement ceiling and don't want too much noise upstairs, so I even used that thick lead-weight barrier material for automotive speakers above these to help prevent that.

IMHO, Yamaha strikes the right balance of cost, quality, and performance.
on July 31, 2012
These are very well-constructed, inexpensive, and fine-sounding surround speakers. I use them for presence speakers (above the front floor speakers) in my home theater system; you could also use them for surround side speakers. I use the more expensive and better sounding Yamaha NS-IW480CWH 8.0" 3-Way In-Ceiling Speakers for my rear speakers. My other Polk speakers (RT10 fronts, CSi A4 center, and PSW505 subwoofer) are driven by a Yamaha RX-V1065. Incredible sound!

Each IW-280 speaker weighs 3.3 pounds and measures 10-9/32'' in diameter and 5-1/32'' deep. The 6.5'' woofer is tilted at 12 degrees from vertical and the tweeters swivel somewhat for directional sound. Be careful installing the grills; if you bend them, they will not fit right. If you want to remove the grills after installation, straighten a paper clip, put a 90 degree bend about a 1/4'' from one end, insert the bent end into one of the holes in the grill about a half inch from the outer edge, and pull down gently.

In-ceiling speakers like these Yamahas are so nice for surround sound because they essentially disappear into your ceiling. After overcoming the challenges of running speaker wires through your walls and ceiling, the installation of these speakers is quite easy.
on May 7, 2011
The Yamaha NS-IW280CWH 6.5" speakers are priced just right for the homeowner looking to expand or start a new built-in system. They fit nicely between my 2x8 ceiling joist depth and the floor above. Yamaha also threw in good advice for the novice, especially mentioning about surrounding the speakers area with insulation (not touching the speaker though) to get the most sound definition out of the speakers. The speakers install easily with simple instructions and they are well designed. I talking both physically and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The sound quality and clarity hit the famous Yamaha high note right on the money. Highly recommend these babies to all!!
on December 29, 2012
No denying, I am an audiophile. I love when music sounds great and the way it was intended to sound, but I also notice when it doesn't.

Even my wife enjoys the sound of great speakers, but when it comes to having a living room full of large floor standing speakers in order to enjoy surround sound, she'd rather prefer them "invisible".

When I didn't come up with any invisible floor-standing speaker models at affordable prices, in-ceiling speakers seemed like a reasonable alternative.

My research led me to these Yamaha NS-IW480CWH speakers, but because I couldn't see or test them anywhere, I had to purchase them "unheard and unseen". Scary thought for an audiophile!

I had never installed in-ceiling speakers before and wasn't going to pay an installer almost the price of the speakers to get them up.

A friend of mine recommended a "Roto Zip" tool with circular drywall cutting attachment and this made the installation fast and easy (plus I had the wife involved, holding up the vacuum cleaner to capture all of the drywall dust).

Another recommendation I got was to get insulation and stuff it into the hole before installing the speakers, which made sense to me so I followed the advise.

We're proud of having installed them all by ourselves (actually not that hard) and the sound is surprisingly good for speakers at this price. In fact, good enough for an audiophile.

They work great for music and movies (surprisingly loud, great for action movies), but I do recommend a powered sub-woofer for the really low parts.

So if you are looking for affordable, quality in-ceiling speakers that are easy to install for a DIY'er (and his wife), you can't go wrong with these.
on January 28, 2009
The exchange value is there. Pound for pound the best 8" speakers I have ever owned. These will not handle all receiver can push on front channels but excellent, clear & bright mids & highs. Need another pair.
Thib
on January 3, 2013
I had a pair of these professionally installed this afternoon, and both me and the installer were really impressed with the value. Under $80 for a pair of well built speakers sent overnight (thanks Prime) is really impressive. The woofers are slightly angled, which allows you to easily direct the sound to the listening position. They installed very easily, and the included cardboard template was much nicer than templates I've seen in cheaper kits. The speakers have nice binding posts, and a large crossover. The two tweeters are suspended above the woofer, and are aim-able.

The speakers were well packed, and arrived undamaged. The grills easily snap into place, but Yamaha also included some sticky strips to use with the grills if needed. I opted to go without them. Sound quality is very good, especially considering the price and convenience. I installed them as rear channel surrounds in a simple 5.1 setup. I can easily see them being used as side surrounds in a 7 channel setup. One little bonus, they have a relatively narrow bezel, which contributes to them being smaller overall. Some speakers I've seen have 1" or more in bezel alone, not the case here.

There might be cheaper speakers out there, but this pair is a great compromise between value and quality.
on October 22, 2012
I installed 8 of these speakers in our house. We originally placed 4 of these in our family room for surround sound speakers, which they were great as. We liked them so much we bought 4 more and installed 2 above our bed in our master bedroom and 2 in the master bathroom. The sound is great for both music and television/movies. In the bathroom the speakers do sound a little less full, but this is clearly attributed to the echo from tile and bathroom finishes. Each speaker comes with a template to cut out the ceiling. Very easy to use, but I would encourage anyone to watch a ceiling speaker install video on youtube first prior to cutting holes in the ceiling. Upon install, I incorrectly estimated the location of a ceiling joist, which resulted in a regrettable patch and texture. The correct method is to take the template, draw your line, place a bent wire hanger to size in the middle of the template, poke through drywall at center, push through and check clearances for the cut by rotating the wire hanger the full circumference of the proposed cut (just trust me and watch the install video :-) . I would buy them again (and have) and would recommend to a friend to try them out, if they like them, BUY THEM! I have been very happy with them in all of my applications.