4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Install, great sound
I was nervous about installation having never mounted one before.

The template provided worked fine, don't cut any smaller than the hole you have traced out. I learned to cut just outside the line for best fit.

I found the best tool for cutting the dry-wall was a jigsaw blade in a vice-grip.

The connectors for the wires are a very...
Published on August 24, 2008 by T. Wehrenberg

3.0 out of 5 stars one problem
The speakers themselves sound good. My beef is the way they look. This is for my living room so I was looking for something discrete.

Unfortunately the covers are shaped like muffin tops. Looks like my ceiling is a haven for pods. I bought a different brand for my kitchen that are truly flush
Published on January 18, 2010 by A. donato

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Install, great sound, August 24, 2008
This review is from: Yamaha NS-IW480CWH 8" 3-Way In-Ceiling Speaker System (White) (Electronics)
I was nervous about installation having never mounted one before.

The connectors for the wires are a very high-quality spring-loaded design. Very easy to connect he wires with when you are up on a ladder.

The cosmetic grill that covers the speaker can snap into place without any tools or need of the included adhesive pad. Worst case, you may have to pry or pound it in with your fist gently.

Sound great so far. I also used a lot of leftover inslation around the spaker between the floor joists to accoustically insulate them. I have one set of these in my basement ceiling and don't want too much noise upstairs, so I even used that thick lead-weight barrier material for automotive speakers above these to help prevent that.

IMHO, Yamaha strikes the right balance of cost, quality, and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers, June 18, 2008
I put two pairs of these in my living room and am very impressed with the sound quality and the bass output (I don't have a subwoofer connected).
These are well built speakers and installation was very easy with the provided template. The swivel tweeter however did not have any impact on sound quality at different listening positions.
After a comparison with Polk RC-80i, I would give these speakers a higher grade than the Polks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thib, January 28, 2009
The exchange value is there. Pound for pound the best 8" speakers I have ever owned. These will not handle all receiver can push on front channels but excellent, clear & bright mids & highs. Need another pair.
Thib

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the home, April 22, 2011
TylerM (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
I purchased these in ceiling speakers to install them in my bedroom and bathroom (2 sets). They are being driven by a Sonos system (which is another review).

The speakers went in fast and easy. I located the installation spot, used the provided template to draw the circle, and used a drywall hand saw to cut the holes. Perfect fit each time. Easy to wire and they sound great!!!

I would say that the sound quality / price is outstanding. The larger diameter provides sufficient bass, and the high end is very good. Without installing speakers that are self contained (in their own box), I can't imagine getting a higher quality sound. Drywall was not made to be used a speaker box, and higher end self contained speakers are engineered with ports and chambers to deliver the next level of sound.

I listened to several different speakers - these are well worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for an audiophile!, December 29, 2012
No denying, I am an audiophile. I love when music sounds great and the way it was intended to sound, but I also notice when it doesn't.

Even my wife enjoys the sound of great speakers, but when it comes to having a living room full of large floor standing speakers in order to enjoy surround sound, she'd rather prefer them "invisible".

When I didn't come up with any invisible floor-standing speaker models at affordable prices, in-ceiling speakers seemed like a reasonable alternative.

My research led me to these Yamaha NS-IW480CWH speakers, but because I couldn't see or test them anywhere, I had to purchase them "unheard and unseen". Scary thought for an audiophile!

I had never installed in-ceiling speakers before and wasn't going to pay an installer almost the price of the speakers to get them up.

A friend of mine recommended a "Roto Zip" tool with circular drywall cutting attachment and this made the installation fast and easy (plus I had the wife involved, holding up the vacuum cleaner to capture all of the drywall dust).

Another recommendation I got was to get insulation and stuff it into the hole before installing the speakers, which made sense to me so I followed the advise.

We're proud of having installed them all by ourselves (actually not that hard) and the sound is surprisingly good for speakers at this price. In fact, good enough for an audiophile.

They work great for music and movies (surprisingly loud, great for action movies), but I do recommend a powered sub-woofer for the really low parts.

So if you are looking for affordable, quality in-ceiling speakers that are easy to install for a DIY'er (and his wife), you can't go wrong with these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speakers, August 1, 2011
I have to say this was one of the easiest self installs I've ever done. The speaks hooked up to the speaker wire by just stripping the wire and then it was a spring loaded connection on the back of the speakers. Then they slid right into the holes I had cut into the ceiling with no problem at all. Once in the ceiling they had four flanges that turn out to hold them up in the ceiling against the sheetrock.

4.0 out of 5 stars Speakers look great and sound great!, June 26, 2010
The sound was surprisingly clear with a wide range which, for the price, was something I was wondering about. The addition of a subwoofer is needed to complete the range of sound. Both speaker were added to a 12 ft. by 18 ft. room and cover the entire space fairly evenly. The small speakers are cheaper but I doubt you can cover a normal size room with sound when going below a 10 in. speaker unless you get four of them. You may want to do that for movie listening but I am only playing music so the two speakers works best.

5.0 out of 5 stars look good and sound even beter, May 24, 2013
Installed 8 of these speakers throughout my home after reading hundreds of reviews. I'm glad I went with these yamaha speakers. Compared to my friends set up, my speakers rock......... I will recommend these speakers to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding once mounted in the ceiling., December 21, 2012
AndyZ (Milwaukee, WI) - See all my reviews
I was a little worried about the sound of these when I first got them. I tried plugging them in without an enclosure and wasn't happy with the bass. Once mounted in the ceiling however, the sound was much better. The high end is amazing. I can hear things in the music that I didn't hear before. Overall an awesome value for the money. Also they were very easy to install once I located my ceiling joists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased! Great sound., May 9, 2010
Bought 8 of these speakers to go in a drop ceiling in a 35x70 meeting room at our church. They sound great and perform well with good bass response. We usually use the ceiling speakers as additional fill to supplement some front speakers, but these do well as mains as well. Good purchase and reasonable price.

Rate and Discover Movies