5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound and cool style, anywhere!
Published on November 23, 2011 by firstwave

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Loud - just not at the same time
Published on April 23, 2012 by Mike C

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound and cool style, anywhere!, November 23, 2011
I bought this speaker a couple weeks ago and wanted to really try it out before writing my review. I could't be happier about this purchase. It was exactly what I was looking for. It's the perfect speaker for my bedroom and for music on the go. I love the handle on top; I just grab it on the way out the door. I've already used it at the beach and while working outside. I bought a set of rechargeable batteries (might as well invest in those to take advantage of the portable feature), and it's just as powerful on batteries and sounds just as full and powerful outside.

It easily fills my bedroom with music in clear highs and lows. The base is much stronger than I expected, and it is especially strong when you place the back end of it a few inches in front of a wall or hard surface. I use it everyday for music and even use it as my alarm clock with a free alarm app I got on my iphone! Now i get to wake up to my own music, and with the remote I can turn it up or down from bed. Whenever I'm cooking I grab it and take it to the kitchen. It's so nice to have great sound that you can move around so easily!

I have gotten positive comments on it from almost all of my recent guests. They like the style and the sound. I know there are others in my family that now want one. I think I'll be buying a couple more for Christmas gifts! I'd definitely recommend this ipod speaker dock. For 99 bucks it's a steal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Loud - just not at the same time, April 23, 2012
Surprisingly light weight. I expected it to be more subtantial. That said, this Yamaha speaker has VERY high-quality sound (for it's size) at low to medium volume levels. Try to make it play loud enough for a backyard party (which is what I bought it for), and it struggles. The sound quality deteriorates, and I feared I might blow the speaker, so had to turn it down.

If you want BACKGROUND music for outdoor entertaining, it does that very well, but if you want the music to really be "listened to" in the backyard, look into adding some outdoor speakers to your home system.

Since it doesn't meet my primary need, I considered returning it, but it sounds so good indoors that I am happy to have it, and will probably send it with my son when he goes off to college in a year. It will be PERFECT for a dorm room or sitting on the beach. The remote is handy, and the unit controls my iPod exactly the way it should.

Yamaha makes the best bang-for-the-buck A/V receiver, so I felt confident that this would be a good product. I probably had unrealistic expectations. It is a small, portable system after all.

On a scale of 1-10, I would give it the following rating by purpose:

BEDROOM: 7 (It is too big for a normal nightstand)
KITCHEN: 9 (If you have the counter space for it)
DEN: 9
GAMEROOM: 10
COVERED PATIO: 10
BACKYARD PARTY: 5
COLLEGE DORM ROOM: 10 (I would have LOVED this at college)
SITTING ON THE BEACH: 9 (I'd give it a '10' but it is not protected from the sand and water)
BEACH PARTY: 3 (Just not loud enough)
CAMPING: 10

If you need is a great-sounding iPod dock for indoors, BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich, clean sound, portable and easy to use - Just don't expect bone conducting bass, May 19, 2012
I purchased a PDX-11 as a smaller, easier to transport alternative to my old JVC Kaboom box. If you dont remember those, they produce actual, significant bass -- but weigh 23lbs, run on 8 D-cells, and are the size of a medium Schnauzer. In hindsight I was asking for the impossible given the PDX-11's much smaller size and weight, and I was ready to return it after the first few hours when I found the bass lacking at high volumes. Then, after several days of listening at more moderate levels, it won me over. In fact, I didn't realize how good it was until two things happened: 1) At a friend's house they were entertaining with a higher priced and much fancier iPod dock. It had me cringing inside because of how tinny it sounded in comparison. 2) At moderate, "most-of-the-time" volumes, the PDX-11 has a really rich, room filling sound that belies its size. Throw in the fact that it's super portable, very easy to operate, sports some cool aesthetics and it's a keeper. At risk of sounding like a paid endorser, I'll just mention a few negatives. There is some apparent electronic trickery going on at high volumes, about 90 percent and up, wherein the lower frequencies (bass) are increasingly cut -- It doesn't sound so good cranked to "11", and this is probably what caused my bad first impression about the lack of bass. Also, it would be awful nice if it were rechargeable instead of requiring 6 AAs. Finally, ease of use translates into super minimalist controls - it offers power and volume up/down buttons, a green and a red LED and, well, that's about it. Fine by me, sound quality trumps duplicating the display you already have on your music player. Overall, the PDX-11 strikes a great balance. It offers great sound wherever you take it, and at this price you will not be afraid to take it anywhere.

UPDATE: Nearly a year into ownership, I haven't changed my opinion one bit, and I'd like to add that this thing is durable. I have really tested that part in my original review about "not being afraid to take it anywhere." I've dropped it into the sea (after a few cocktails perhaps), left it out in the rain, got if full of sand at the beach and packed it in luggage that really went through the wringer. OK, after dropping it in the sea I did have to take it apart and dry the inner circuit boards with a hair dryer, and I learned to take the batteries out before packing it in checked luggage otherwise the added weight breaks the cover if it gets slammed, but the little bugger still puts out great sound. Those fancy chrome bolts are all rusted now but that's about the worst of it. I'm tempted to get the bluetooth version Yamaha now offers. . . Oh yeah, if you spring for lithium AA batteries it's good for about 20+ hours of run time at moderate volumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's perfect for me!, January 27, 2012
I was looking for something to replace my small, battery powered speakers and stumbled upon the PDX-11. I bought it trusting that the sound would be along the lines of other Yamaha speakers we have all heard at concerts, carnivals, conferences, etc. My trust was rewarded! The bass pops, mids and highs are all there...or can be enhanced by changing the EQ in my I-whatever. The remote control operates different things on older and newer Apple gear and even charges some of them. The biggest plus is not having wires like my old stereo speakers did! That was a pain. This unit is simple, sturdy, easy to use, and loud enough to dance to. Keep in mind that is just a small speaker, so don't set your sights too high on volume. There are other more expensive units for that, cheapskate. My main use is for fishing and other outdoor activities...and this unit totally fills that gap. I tied a small pouch to the handle to carry the power cord, remote, ipod, extra batteries, etc. I listen to music a lot and have other stereos/boomboxes...but this little guy (well, it's not that little) is quickly becoming my favorite. As was said elsewhere, people are amazed at the sound that comes out of the PDX-11. Good job, Yamaha!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for indoor use!, May 7, 2012
I purchased this to be used indoors and in my garage and the sound is incredible. It's a touch heavy on the bass but still sounds crystal clear. I am a musician and audiophile and am very particular about my music. For $99 you cannot beat the sound. I am going to purchase another for my son's room. The only thing that would have made this better is FM radio just to add versatility. It doesn't bother me b/c listen to internet radio on my iPhone and with the radioPup app I can listen to my hometown radio station when I feel like it. That said, this produces fantastic sound and I would highly recommend it to anyone. I have gone through other docking stations (both low-end and high-end) and the sound this produces is on par with some of the $200-300 stations I have gone through in the past. I had not intention of using this outdoors so my review is purely based on indoor use for the home setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for the money, January 18, 2012
For the money I don't think there is a better sounding iPod dock out there.
It is tough small enough to take anywhere and has a lot of frequency response for its size.
It will run on 6 AA batteries, so it is truly portable. It also has a easy to use remote that does more than just change the volume. It is not going to make anyone wet their pants from the output but at 3/4 volume it is loud enough for just about any application except maybe cheerleading practice in a large gym and even then it would be better than anything else in its price range!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop reading reviews and put it in your cart!, April 19, 2012
I was looking (and have tried a lot of iPod speaker docks) for the best dock I could find. Needless to say here it is. I bought this item with a little hesitation as it was a new item, but it being Yamaha really pushed me over into the side of I should at least try it out. I haven't looked back since. When I first got it I was living in an apartment and my neighbor (a friend of mine) ended up asking me to turn it down several times while I was in the shower due to the bass it put out. He thought I was using my surround sound early in the mornings. I use this constantly at parties, around the house, and just about anywhere. I have tried to abuse it but that doesn't seem to work out (really this is a good thing). It is extremely sturdy, great sound quality, and perfect for anything you would want to use a dock for. After I bought it there is a certain men's magazine (may feature a bunny) that had their top new gadgets that you needed to get and this was in there. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SOUND AND PLENTY OF BATTERY LIFE, December 9, 2011
This is such a great portable player! I can't believe the sound even when your outside. I play beach volleyball and put it next to the court when I'm training :) Nothing gets you through a tough practice like listening to music, and being able to hear it the whole time! It also has amazing battery life while not completely draining your ipod/iphone. Definitely a great Yamaha product and great price for the quality you get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great portable Ipod Speaker Dock, February 18, 2013
This was purchased for our 21 year old daughter. She wanted something portable that could even go to the beach. My husband is picky about sound - so after careful review of other docks he decided on this for her. He was not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, February 16, 2013
I love! Is exact what I was expect! Perfect the product! I'm sorry but I don't know very well inglesh