4.0 out of 5 stars The next instrument in a great line of keyboards
Published on May 20, 2008 by Ron Cole

3.0 out of 5 stars Having fun but...
Published on September 12, 2009 by Daisey

4.0 out of 5 stars The next instrument in a great line of keyboards, May 20, 2008
This review is from: Yamaha PSR-E413 Portable Keyboard
The PSR-E413 is Yamaha's next addition to their portable keyboard line. It was designed with the new musician in mind, and includes numerous learning tools (the Yamaha Education Suite being the most prominently featured) and "cheater" features (Yamaha Performance Assistance Technology let's you hit the wrong key and still sound correct). Unlike many other beginner level keyboards, however, the PSR-E413 has numerous features that will allow new musicians to grow into semi-professionals without having to buy a new instrument - 504 voices (instruments the keyboard can sound like), 100 arpeggio types, 165 preset styles, 30 preset songs, a pitch-bending wheel, and 5 song/6 track recording. Other common features such as "touch sense" (the keys can sound louder or softer depending on how hard they are pressed), a USB port, sustaining pedal port, and a headphone/output port are also present.

What all of that boils down to is simply this: the E413 is fun to play and sounds great. The price is generally within the acceptable realm for beginners, and the features make it something even those at a semi-professional level would like to play (though, in all honesty, most professionals are going to want a less portable 76+ key unit). After going to numerous music stores and online sources, this model ended up being the best fit for my budget and needs - I highly recommend it.

I have two complaints with the PSR-E413 as packaged. The first is that the music stand (which easily slides into two slots on the top-back of the unit) is made of cheap plastic, and looks like it will break easily. The second is that a number of additional items are needed to fully enjoy this instrument. The first thing you'll need is a plug-in power adapter (I was shocked that the keyboard didn't come with one) unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars on batteries. Next, you'll probably want a keyboard stand (a decent folding one costs anywhere from $20 - $60). An AB-type USB cable is necessary to connect the instrument to your computer and fully realize its potential. After that, a dust cover and case might also interest you. Finally, headphones and a foot switch/pedal should be considered, especially if you like being creative and don't live alone. Yamaha offers a few of these items in a special set called the Survival Kit B (it includes the power adapter, foot switch, headphones, and an extended warranty), but I don't recommend it, as the headphones and pedal it contains are of inferior quality.

Note: This model replaced the PSR-E403 as of May 2008. The two are extremely similar, with the E413 containing a few upgrades (165 vs. 155 styles; 100 arpeggio functions vs 50; etc..). The feel and most of the features of the two, however, are almost the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Entry-Level Keyboard, January 14, 2009
This review is from: Yamaha PSR-E413 Portable Keyboard
Anything else in this price range is just a toy. The PSR-E413 is an actual musical instrument that can be used for educational and performance purposes. I won't go through all the features since you can just as easily read them online. If you want to take advantage of this keyboard's ability then I would suggest you get a set of innexpensive studio monitors (e.g. M-Audio), a sustain pedal and a good keyboard stand (e.g. Ultimate Support). If you hook the PSR-E413 up to your computer you can open up a whole new world of possibilities. There are so many sites on the Internet with free style files (SFF) that you can download and with a bit of tweaking load on your PSR-E413. Also a good MIDI sequencer application like Cubase LE/Essentials can add a great deal of capability. The only two dislikes I have about this keyboard is the LCD screen and lack of AC adapter. I would have paid and additional $100 just to get a higher quality LCD screen and an AC adapter included. All in all, don't waste your money on the toy keyboards. Get yourself a musical instrument you can enjoy and the PSR-E413 is a good starting point.

3.0 out of 5 stars Having fun but..., September 12, 2009
This review is from: Yamaha PSR-E413 Portable Keyboard
It does not come with an AC adapter.I know that's probably been mentioned every time but nevertheless it has to be mentioned. I'm just learning so I can't tell you anything except it has a warm sound. I wanted something a little more than a toy and it fits in my little office area. I can't stand the manual and I usually read them this one I avoid. I have no previous music experience so that might be why. I got myself "How to play Keyboards" by Roger Evans which is just over 100 pages so not too intimidating and now I know how to read a little music too. I know you can hook it to the computer via usb but I just wanted to record quick samples of my progress. I don't know how this thing is wired but I had to hook it to the line in on my stereo then send it back out of the earphone jack (not line out) to the computer to lose the hum and record with success. It might have something to do with grounding but at least for me its solved.

Things to consider when or if purchasing

- AC adapter
- 1/4" adapter if you are using portable headphones.
- keyboard stand
- separate instruction book
- keyboard cover

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Dollar, June 6, 2009
D. Rodrigues "I'd rather be cycling" (Silver Spring, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha PSR-E413 Portable Keyboard
I can't add much beyond the other reviews other to say I agree. This is my first keyboard and I cannot believe how much I got for a product slightly over 200 bucks. It has a boatload of features and it sounds wonderful. I would have gladly paid a few more dollars to have had the AC power supply included but all and all I would by this unit again - no regrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars A LOT of Music for a Small Price!, May 12, 2010
Amazon Customer (Houghton Lake, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Yamaha PSR-E413 61-Key Digital Keyboard

When I acquired this keyboard I was expecting only fair sound quality, and a dearth of features, especially compared to my PRS-9000Pro. What I got, though, was an amazing sound, and a plethora of great features that make this fun to play, and delightful to hear.

Instead of the inferior sound quality I was expecting, when I first sat down to play I was happily surprised that the richness and depth of each note was even better than my 9000Pro could produce. And now, after several months, I'm still learning all of the functionality. One thing is for sure: I thought I was getting a keyboard as a poor replacement for my 9000Pro; what I got was a keyboard that is equal in many ways but most importantly, in the professional sounds that it can produce.

I am not a beginning keyboard player, but this keyboard is more than adequate for all of my simple gigging needs (I take it to church every Sunday to play the music for the services), is light-weight, and has impressed sounds, and sound quality, that make it sound like it should have been a lot more expensive.

For the price, Yamaha has produced an amazing-sounding instrument with more features than I may ever even use. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, or recommend this keyboard to any beginning or even mid-level player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overadvertises, but still worth the price and five stars, October 9, 2010
This review is from: Yamaha PSR-E413 Portable Keyboard
You will not find a good synthesizer like this one for the same price. Be careful of the overadvertising - it claims to have 509 voices. It does, but only about 100 are good. 150 are cheapy sound effects that they sampled to the keyboard, about 100 are close enough to be duplicates, and the rest are not up to par with the quality of the best 100 (notable voices include the Grand Piano, Violins, and Organs). It surprised me when it came with a music stand, which looks potentially breakable by the way it fastens on to the keyboard, but is a nice addition. It is pretty deep and fat and won't fit on skinny desks/tables. The speakers are excellent. Max volume sounds very clear. It comes with several pre-programmed songs and styles, which, like the voices, include some that are much better than others. Overall I would recommend this to anyone who needs a cheap piano substitute or a beginner's keyboard.

A real pain I could have had was the lack of a power source - it needs to be ordered separately for about $30. Luckily I ordered it beforehand to avoid this (as I would recommend you would if you buy this keyboard). Yamaha recommends you buy the special one they make just for the keyboard (I did) but you may be able to use your own if you're really techy and know it will work.

4.0 out of 5 stars love it, March 14, 2010
This review is from: Yamaha PSR-E413 Portable Keyboard
This is a great keyboard. I am using it with my recording software on my computer and I am making music. All the styles on this keyboard can be recorded as midi beats on my computer which make the possibilities endless. The voices on this keyboard have excellent sound quality. This is a professional piece of equipment. I am very pleased with my purchase. Great service amazon.com.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice keyboard but..., July 23, 2009
Bray (Miami, Fl USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha PSR-E413 Portable Keyboard
Been using a Yamaha keyboard for many years and treated myself to this new one. I am not a professional musician. I play for my own amusement. I gave the keyboard 3 stars because the sounds are really good and it makes some attempt to teach. Need a magnifying glass at my age to see the LCD display :-)

Two things that are lacking compared to my older keyboard:

1) The intro/ending key is one event. So you can only use the intro as an intro. After you start playing, if you hit the intro key it obviously invokes the ending and the song stops. On my older keyboard the functions were split so if you pressed the Intro during song play, it created a nice frill and break to lead into something else.

2) The auto fill is also now one key with the style variations from A/B. This means while playing a style or song, when you hit the auto fill it moves the style variation from A to B or vice versa and you get the drum roll. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be much nicer to have a separate FILL key if one wants to stay within a variation and just have a fill without switching. Hope I explained it properly. To me this is a huge disappointment. I read the entire manual and could not find a solution

I guess this is one of the problems buying an item like this online. My local music store did not have model for me to preview. I have always liked Yamaha and figured it would be great based on my older PSR510

Yamaha PSR-E413 Portable Keyboard