5.0 out of 5 stars AC adapter required
Published on December 11, 2011 by OTP

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price.
Published 13 months ago by RW

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars AC adapter required, December 11, 2011
This review is from: Yamaha YPT-230 61-Key Portable Keyboard (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I'm giving this piano 5 stars. For quality of build, features, sound quality and price. Quality Yamaha instrument (YPT-230). Great keys, nice sound, lots of features. Feels solid and well built. Read the product specs from Yamaha to compare various keyboards in this price range. Note that this model requires 6 AA batteries or an AC adapter, which is not included. Packaging indicates the following, "Requires AC adapter (YAMAHA PA-3C, PA-130). AC Adapter: not included". The only negative is that it didn't come standard with the AC adapter and Amazon wasn't clear in the item description. However, since the adapters are easily obtained for less than $20, it's a great deal even it you have to order the accessory adapter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Keyboard, Not Velocity/Touch Sensitive, December 30, 2011
I purchased this keyboard on another website a couple of weeks ago. It has lots of sounds and decent sounding speakers. The build quality is also good, but lacks weighted and touch/velocity sensitive keys. If you are a prospective producer looking for something to hook up to your computer, I would not recommend this keyboard. If you are looking for a keyboard learn or practice this keyboard will be great for you. Also be aware that this keyboard comes with no cables including a power cable. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Keyboard, December 24, 2011
After a lifetime of being musically challenged, I decided to learn to play the piano. Yamaha has a nice selection of low-cost keyboards for the beginner and I chose the YPT-230 based on price. It has a lot of nice features, but I was only interested in a well-built keyboard that sounds good. This keyboard is well-made and sounds just like a piano. It's just what I need!

It does not come with a power adapter, probably to shave a few bucks off the price. But I'd recommend getting one so you don't have to fool around with batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Learning (or Recalling) How to Play Piano/Organ etc., June 3, 2012
First, in the interest of full disclosure, let me say that I did NOT buy my Yamaha YPT-230 from Amazon.com. I earned it by doing surveys for a certain company for over four years. Eventually, this item was added to the catalog from which survey participants are allowed to choose gifts once they have accumulated sufficient points. Last month, I ordered and received this keyboard, and the AC adapter came with it; an unexpected bonus.

I've spent a solid 30 minutes nearly every day since this keyboard arrived studying, recalling, and actually playing some of the songs I once knew. I haven't any idea how the Yamaha YPT-230 performs on batteries, but as long as I have an AC adapter and electricity, I'm not likely to try the DC alternative. My level of use would probably eat batteries at the rate of 6 or so a day; an expense I cannot justify.

I'm happy with this keyboard except for a couple of things. First, and foremost, while I like the range of voices and other features included, I wish there were a way to play some keys louder and some softer as can be done on the old-style acoustic pianos. Secondly, I miss the two octaves (one from the lowest end, and one from the highest) and a few additional keys that don't appear on this keyboard. I'm certain that shortening the range of the keyboard shaved a few $$$ off the price of this item. Getting used to the shorter range - 61 keys, rather than 88 - will take a few weeks, I'm equally sure. What remains to be seen is whether I truly need those missing keys or not.

Yamaha provided a free songbook in PDF format for registering the warranty. This songbook contains 99 of the 102 programmed songs for this keyboard. Ostensibly, this song book is to help you learn to play the songs, but the print is so small, the book is valuable mainly for figuring out which of the 99 songs is which. The manufacturer could have done a better job with this book, if they actually intended anyone to learn how to play these songs.

If you're new to keyboards, I can definitely recommend this model, but you might want to get the Yamaha YPT-230 Premium Keyboard Pack that includes keyboard, stand, headphones and the power adapter, so you have everything you need to get started... well, except a good book and a teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musician-to-be, September 4, 2012
I really like this keyboard. It has many musical options and it can sound like a regular piano. It is easy to use and fun for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars DELIGHTED WITH KEYBOARD, September 12, 2012
I found this YAMAHA to buy from another vender but I am thankful I looked more and bought from AMAZON! For the money, it is a great buy. It has so very many things built in to use if you wish. A musiciam friend came and sampled many things it does and he was very surprised at how good it was!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Value Model, January 19, 2012
B. Flavin (Tampa Bay, FL) - See all my reviews
This model has excellent tone, very good touch, and can be easily accessorized. Its light weight and minimal dimensions make it portable and perfect for casual use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price., June 16, 2013
I probably should rate it better as the issue it has was an oversight on my part. I did not pick up on the fact it does not have velocity (also known as touch) sensitive keys. When a key is pressed the sound is on or off only, no possibility of volume expression playing this keyboard. Also there is a jack for a sustain pedal but not a volume pedal. So, this is not a keyboard for long term learning, as soon as you want to start working on your "volume expression" you'll need a different keyboard. If you just want a keyboard for you or your kids to bang around on learning chords or whatever, this is probably not a bad choice. I should add that the PC connection through USB makes recording to the computer easy enough if you have the software. If you want a full featured keyboard though drop the extra $60-80 for velocity sensitive keys. If you want a real piano experience you'll need to spend another $100 or more and get one with weighted keys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly enough while the B-3 is repaired!, February 9, 2013
This is filling in for a B-3 which is out of service for a few months. This little keyboard has the essential voices and features for ambient keyboard work. I might have looked into one with a USB interface as the MIDI is a bit of a challenge to learn for newbies. For the price, it's very hard to beat! (I was renting a keyboard for a week - at this price point!) I DO use an external 25W amp and a pair of JBL bookshelf speakers to get the loudness and dynamics up to my spec.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget to buy a AC adapter, December 25, 2012
Nice , but no AC adapter ! Really? What good is a key board without power, that is the big deal.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›