Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 10, 2013
I owned previous generations of Yamaha. My last receiver was their pre-RX, pre-Aventage line. I sold it to a neighbor after a decade of flawless service (actually 10 years of constant power on!). I owned the esoteric multi-thousand dollar separate combos of other manufacturers, prior to Yamaha. Those expensive units reliability was always in doubt. They almost were impossible to have fixed, and just as impossible to afford to have fixed.

This present Yamaha puts my whole system together, putting all my HDMI inputs through a processor for video and audio. The result is a an excellent picture and audio, no matter the source. The surround effects are very accurate. The theater and decoding choices are many, with all sonically pleasing.

Tied a Sharp 70" LED screen to the output of the Yamaha's HDMI. Even Netflix type sources look like Blu Ray. Its amps went to Tannoy studio monitors and a double 10" commercial subwoofer. All components are now rigidly controlled by the high Yamaha standard that are applied by the 1030.

As I suspect compromises at lower entry levels of any manufacturer, I can highly recommend only the upper line of Yamaha.

ADDENDUM: Please note, that, during your audio setup, using their YPAO(tm) R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) Sound Optimization with Multi-point Measurement, it will set your subwoofer all wrong, that is it will be hardly heard at all. Other Yamaha owners using YPAO have already noted this problem. So, for the sub to be accurate, you must set it's own level at minimum before starting (-6 to -12). This is so the YPAO detects it, but just barely, and then gives it the go ahead for a Yamaha +10db. After all is set and saved, you can return to the sub and adjust its level higher (for the urban, disco, rock levels that you prefer). Actually even movie soundtracks will present as thin, without punch, unless you do the previous.
1515 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2014
Having purchased the older Yamaha RX-A3020 9.2-Channel Network AVENTAGE AV Receiver in December 2012 for my main entertainment room and was very happy with it, another Yamaha AVENTAGE receiver with 4K upscaling capabilities was my only choice to pair with my new Samsung UN55HU9000 Curved 4K Ultra HD Smart LED HDTV. The picture of the UN55HU9000 is so impressive that I needed a receiver that was up to the task to complement the Samsung. My RX-A3020 does not have 4K video upscaling capabilities.

I didn't need all the capabilities that the successor RX-A3030 offers for the room where I put the Samsung 4K TV, so I settled for this RX-A1030. May I say that the choice was astonishing and excellent! I was surprised after doing A-B tests, that the RX-A1030 upscales "every" non-4K input (NAS, Blu-Ray, DVD, AT&T Uverse Std and HD programming, etc.) to "stunning" 4K 3840 x 2160 resolution so much better than the Samsung 4K TV does. Consequently, I disconnected a couple of my HDMI components from the Samsung HDMI inputs and moved them to the RX-A1030's HDMI inputs. Now all my components including AT&T Uverse feed into the RX-A1030. I only just use Samsung UN55HU9000's HDMI 3 ARC input which is fed by the Yamaha RX-A1030 HDMI ARC output.

I knew from my RX-A3020 and my older Samsung LED TV, that the I could view content on my Samsung 4K HDTV from the RX-A1030 when it is turned off in standby mode. However, for 4K upscaling, the RX-A1030 needs to be turned on. Power On, Volume, and other common controls on the RX-A1030 can be controlled by any of my remotes (TV, AT&T Uverse, Yamaha, etc.).

Oh and the sound, build quality, reputation, reliability (it just works and works over many years), flexibility, features, iOS/Yamaha AV Smartphone/Tablet remote app, etc., makes me a Yamaha repeat customer over and over. I have purchased many Yamaha components for over 28 years. The Yamaha RX-A3020, with two Yamaha MX-1000Us, feed four Ohm Walsh 5s and other satellite Ohm surround speakers. This RX-A1030 feeds four Ohm Walsh 4XOs and other satellite Ohm surround speakers.
on July 8, 2014
This is the third Yamaha I've owned over thirty years. I use it to drive JBL Studio speakers in a 5.1 configuration. The main input is from the Oppo BDP 105D. There are plenty of reviews here, so I have little to add that has not already been noted. I love everything about this machine. Build quality, technical specs. And if the past two machines are a guide, this will last me very well.
-- Only observations are that the phono input is nice to have and I run my turntable through it. But the pre-amp hardly seems powerful enough. I have to crank up the amplifier to get decent volume.
-- There is a marked improvement in sound quality with the Sabre DAC, especially noticeable when I switch to pure direct mode. Yet again i am not disappointed and in fact very pleased with this unit.
-- I did have a minor technical issue and was disappointed to have to wait about five days for an email reply that was not, actually, that helpful.
I did research alternatives because the three top of the line Yamahas did not quite reach Goldilocks standards. The main thing is that I have no use for 9-11 amplifyers, but I would like slightly more powerful (maybe 30watts more power in the 7.2 I have. But I got this model after considering half a dozen alternatives because this has about the best optimization of qualities and features of any I've seen.
So, five well earned stars.
on February 26, 2014
The Yamaha RX-A1030 7.2 Channel Aventage A/V Receiver is great! First thing you notice is the build quality of this unit, numerous HDMI connections; wi-fi, network, this receiver has it all including a fine pair of DAC's for very impressive audio and video presentation. This is my second Yamaha AV receiver, the other still works fine, just wanted an upgrade.
on June 17, 2014
I replaced an older Yamaha HTR-5650 with the A-1030 unit. Even though I enjoyed great sound from the older system the improvement in clarity, channel separation, and enhancement of midrange vocals was stunning. It is just an audiophiles dream to listen to the same music and hear it for first time discovering hidden sounds that add so much richness to music. The Android app for system control is very handy too allowing control on all the system settings from a tablet.

The video processing enhances downloaded movies, even HD quality ones. They are so much clearer and with richer colors, and of course, better audio that it begins to rival Blu-ray disks. Great system; obviously I highly recommend it.
on February 18, 2014
Caught a defective unit with a YPAO jack that had a short in it (per YAMAHA techs support). Every time I would start it the unit would ask me to configure the speakers. Amazon did their usual stellar job of arranging for a replacement unit. Re-wiring and reconfiguring the new unit was time consuming but not difficult. I used banana plugs for the install and highly recommend it.

I don't love the settings you get when you run the YPAO. I feel it is a good starting point, but not nearly where I wanted it to be. Did a lot of manual tweaking and running test tone to set levels on various speakers. A large array of menus to permit you to use precisely the features you want.

I see a clearly visible improvement in my picture (with the same TV) playing both movies and TV, and sound is superior as well. Particularly the dialogue on movies and TV. Lots more features, lots of available HDMI connectors, and far more functionality than my old Marantz. My old unit was functioning fine and had really good sound, but it used old "legacy" connectors that split picture and sound into a bewildering jungle of cords. Went with 3 of the latest high end HDMI cords and it reduced the cable clutter I had previously by about 2/3 (speaker connections are the same). Don't know how much of my improvement is due to the better cabling or the unit itself. I believe it is likely to be some of both.

Internet radio, digital radio, wireless connectivity with Airplay, DLNA, etc.. Wished it had direct connectivity to Amazon Video, Hulu, Netflix, etc. You need to use either a Roku or Blu Ray player with that feature to get streaming movies.

This is a high quality product that delivers a great picture and sound, but it isn't cheap. Liked the fact it is set up to use 4K so it will hopefully have a longer useful life. You certainly get what you pay for, but I wish it came in a few dollars cheaper and had the streaming movie feature built in.
on July 21, 2015
Bought this receiver to replace my entry level Yamaha rx-v473. The difference was immediate. This receiver can do more than i will ever use. I use this to drive a 7.1 Polk full sized speaker system and it brought these basic entry level speakers to a whole new level. He clarity of the sound created by this receiver is amazing. The receiver processes the picture beautifully. Improves the signal quality by a noticeable margin. Sound never fades after prolonged use. The receiver is incredibly heavy. I attribute that to the amps and heat sinks. Great product. I will have this revciever for many years.
on May 28, 2014
It took me several weeks to follow through with this order but, I am so happy with this purchase. Set up of the airplay was easy
and sounds so good. I learned my lesson I am back to Yamaha and staying.
on December 20, 2013
Iv'e had Yamaha Receiver's two of them the RX-V990 with the ddp-1 processor. The Rx-V1600 Receiver. All great products but the new Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030 Tops them all!! I can watch 3 D movies, hook up a second sub woofer,listen to music from my computer I tunes !! This Receiver can handle even the 4k Hd TV'S. Its the complete home entertainment device!!
on March 7, 2015
Would have made 5 stars except....I purchased a refurbished model. Spent 4 hours on Saturday trying to set it up with the Yamaha YPAO auto configuration. The YPAO set up continued to fail with a E-8 errror..aka call your local Yamaha service facility or call Yamaha. I did set it up manually and noticed the left selector knob was bent downward and the front left door hinge was broken. I did get it to work. It has lots of kick ass power to drive the speakers with good bass and mid-range. The surround was not all that great which, was most likely due to the fact, I did not go through all the manual settings. I am retuning the refurbished model and buying the new model for 170 more dollars. We will see what happens.