5.0 out of 5 stars 1065 & 765 Feedback
Published on October 12, 2009 by T. Swanson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Yamaha quality
First off, let me say this is the 4th RX-V series receiver I have owned from Yamaha and by far the most generic one (considering it has an MSRP of $1000).

Unlike some other receivers from Yamaha, this one is rated 120w @ 1KHz, not the 20-20K they usually rate power from. So expect this one to be MUCH quieter than an older RX-V 100w rated @ 20-20k...
Published on November 18, 2010 by Hex

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 1065 & 765 Feedback, October 12, 2009
This review is from: Yamaha RX-V1065BL 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver (Electronics)
I needed to replace a couple of old receivers so I found a great deal on the RX-V1065 and RX-V765 on Amazon. I ended up getting both of them for aboout what 2 V665's would have cost me a a Big Box store. I first setup my Main Theate Room with the 1065, I thought it was somewhat difficult to get everything the way I wanted it but the automatic speaker setup was slick and the sound is fantastic compared to my old Sony I had previously. The Menu system takes some getting use to but once you do it's not bad to navigate. All in all I was pretty darn happy with my purchase, My JBL's sounded much better then before and although I didn't really notice any difference in video quality, it was as good as before and now I had everything coming thru the same box. Surround sound was a huge step up from my old receiver also, you are almost looking behind you now because you'd swear someone is behind you, where on my old Sony it was more or less a quieter front speaker.

I then went to hook up my 765 in my cave TV room, first thing that I noticed was that is basically identical to the 1065, sure the menu system is not as polished but as far as the functionality that I need it is the same. I have a few year old Bose surround sound in this room with a JBL center chanel speaker and what a HUGE difference this receiver made over my old Onkyo, the Onkyo was really good for music but surround sound was sub par, but it was 10 years old I guess. Granted I'm only hooking up a Xbox 360, blue ray and TV in this room but watching Vikes beat up the the Packers in surround sound with this receiver was great, I haven't figured out which sound field I like best but there are a couple perfect for sports.

One of the coolest things was when I grabbed the TV remote from my Samsung LCD by mistake to turn the volume down and it says RX-V765 un the upper corner and starts to tun down the volume of the receiver from the TV, displaying the volume the whole time it's changing. I guess that Anynet capability on the Samsung TV's with a HDMI reciever gives you a few more bells and whistles. Also really cool is when I turn on the Xbox or turn off the TV the receiver will come on or off accordingly. I haven't setup the remote for additionaly devices yet, but it seems to be easy to use and is exactly the same for the 765 and 1065, I actually expected the remote to be better for the 1065 so i was a little disapointed when I saw it, but in using it it seems OK/

One thing I do not like is the Zone 2 ability on the 1065, I almost wish is was more or less a A/B speaker selector, I have a normal 5 speaker surround setup, in addition to that I have 2 speakers in the kitchen, right behind the TV room which are connect to Zone 2 that when I'm listening to music we like to have on so that you have more sound. The problem is that Zone 2 running the same input as the Main Room is off by a few fractions of a second and if you stand right between the 2 rooms, it sounds like the song is a half a second behind in the kitchen, I tried the lipsync thing, which only made it worse, I haven't given up on it yet, but it's not obvious how to fix this.

Bottom Line -
Both the 1065 and the 765 have more inputs than I know what to do with.
Neither have HDMI on the front, I didn't want it anyway, as I think it looks stupid to set all your equipment up and then have a big cable hanging off the front of your system anyway. That's why the put the jacks on the back, right???
May not have quite as many sound fields as some others out there, but I pick the 2 or 3 I like for movies, sports and music anyway and don't care about the rest.
The YPAO is cool and works great to setup the speakers.
The onscreen Menu is better on the 1065 but adequate on the 765.
HI-DEF Radio sounds amazing on both.
Don't think I will ever use the remotes as universal remotes, but they are adequate for running the receivers.
I cannot comment much on the video conversion, as everything I am running is HDMI and looks the same as it die running straight into the TV.
Sound on both of these is fantastic, even at volumes that start to hurt, the sound is clear, the bass is crisp not slow and there is no distortion, my old receivers would make my speakers start to hiss at a much lower volume, and these receivers never do.
Save yourself some money though get the 765, once it's all setup and you don't need to go into the menu anymore, you'll never notice the difference.
I read a lot of reviews and narrowed it down to Onkyo and Yamaha, at last second I pulled the trigger on Yamaha and for what I paid on Amazon for the 2 of them I am thrilled with my purchase

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Yamaha quality, November 18, 2010

You are unable to assign audio inputs to video inputs and must use the inputs as they are preset, except for adding a video source to the multi-channel audio inputs. So if you own a Wii, you will be going back to a 480i composite cable instead of the 480p component cables as you are forced to use either a coax or optical digital audio with component inputs. I bought a separate external Component/analog audio-HDMI converter box to bypass this miserable design flaw as I am using my only 2 composite w/analog audio inputs already. The receiver is none-the-wiser.

The remote is NOT programmable. It comes with some codes for various preset electronics. It has a paltry 4 Bluray player codes. Don't expect a total control remote.

There are 4 HDMI inputs, 1 Component w/Optical audio, 1 Component w/Coax audio, 1 Composite w/Coax audio, 1 Composite w/Optical audio, 2 standard Composite video w/analog L&R audio, 2 straight analog audio inputs, and 1 phono input. It comes with a front Composite w/Analog audio. There is a 6.2 multi-channel input for those that like that sort of thing (note: No sound fields work at all when using that input). There is also connections for Blueooth, an iPod and Sirius/XM radio.

On a high note, the sound is everything you have come to expect from Yamaha (albeit quieter). The sound fields are scroll through now instead of individual. But have wonderful ambiance. They added sound fields for Action games and Role Playing games as well for gamers. The included mic sets the volumes and distance of all the connected speakers. It makes setup a breeze. Be aware, it can and will tell you you have a couple speakers out of phase (hooked up backwards) even though you don't. It seems to think ALL of my Bose Accoustimass speakers are wired out of phase ;-)

The video upconverting is great!! My DreamCast looks amazing on my 47" LCD HDTV now thanx to this receiver. All video feeds in, 1 HDMI video feed out. Keep in mind there is quite a long pause when switching video inputs (even when staying on the same connection like HDMI DVD to HDMI Xbox 360). The audio will start a few seconds before the video clicks over.

Considering the price I paid for it and the fact that I was in desperate need for a video upconverter, it's not a bad receiver. But at list price it's a joke. There are better ones out there for less money. I can't really recommend this receiver to anyone unless you are starting out from scratch and don't have the need to hook up any form of legacy equipment. For those who already own a nice but aging receiver, look somewhere else. This isn't the receiver you are looking for.

UPDATE: I have added an extra star as Yamaha released a firmware update that resolved a couple of issues. Namely the input assignment. While far from perfect, it almost works. I now have issues with the TV not receiving a signal from my Wii using the new firmware and the input reassignment. I have a support ticket in with Yamaha to resolve this.

And their website has some manual additions that help with other things (like programming a TV into this remote). Also, my rated power up top is inaccurate. The manual has that printed in it, but the Yamaha website has it listed at 105w x7 @ 20-20k. Not sure why it's so much quieter than my older RX-V800 (100w x5 @ 20-20k).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine receiver with rca outputs for front, center and rear (and a great tuner for HD and FM), December 22, 2009
I have had this receiver for a few months now. I use it as a preamp with Adcom for the front and Hafler for the rear along with Definitive Tech speakers and an 18" Velodyne. I tried it as an integrated amp and thought it was fine, but I am fussy and like to use my more powerful amps. I am very pleased with the imaging and detail that is typical of Yamaha. I guess someone got a lemon, because I was impressed with the tuner, especially the HD. The microphone setup of the speaker system is also a plus, allowing for adjustments in room acoustics.

3.0 out of 5 stars HDMI inputs Quit working after 6 months, May 7, 2011
J Tyler "Silver Surfer 7" (Somewhere in Middle America) - See all my reviews
I was really pleased with this for the first six months I had it. Now I cannot watch My HDMI inputs the receiver will play for 20 seconds to a minute and then shuts itself off. After that point every time you turn it on it shuts itself off.

(Update it is fixed)
After days off research I found out this is a nice little bug with the circuits. When one of your speakers (especially the center channel) gets loose or unplugged oh say from your wife dusting or the new kitten playing with the wire the system will shut itself down. I have owned stereo's for 40 years and have never had one that would turn itself off when the speaker was unplugged. Supposedly this is a protection circuit but I am not sure how it is protecting anything if the speaker is unplugged. Since no power is getting to it!

This totally freaked me out. I wasted 5 hours checking every lead fuse anything I could think of until I tested the individual speakers and found the wire had come off the center speaker. Grrr!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid receiver in every respect, January 9, 2011
Larry (Wenonah, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
The RX-V1065 is a solid receiver in every respect. The DTS-HD, especially, blows me away. For the first time, I'm hearing the clarity, detail and depth I've longed for since first delving into Surround Sound systems so many years ago.

When purchasing this receiver, I kind of went against the grain and bought it without doing a lot of research first. I went with this model because it was the only one in my price range ($500 marked down from $900) at the local Best Buy that had grounded phono inputs -- and I still like listening to my old vinyl.

I initially started using this as a 5.1 system because of my small room size. Within a few weeks, I added two speakers -- and I went from very happy to extremely pleased, even amazed. CDs played directly from my Blu-Ray player sound absolutely awesome -- again detail and clarity that are quite good for a unit in this price range. This unit has settings that will convert just about any source CD into great-sounding 7.1 channels that emanate from almost everywhere in of your listening room. I'm tending to use the 7-channel enhancer setting the most for CDs and records.

It took me awhile to figure out how to change the settings to get 7.1 sound out of 5.1 Blu-Rays -- and it is excellent. One very important tip: When using the microphone auto calibration, make sure you select the FRONT Equalizer setting. At least for my ear, this produced the warmest sound for all my sources. For some reason, the manual doesn't mention these selection choices at all.

It does take some time to get to know the ins and outs of this receiver. Like most electronics manuals, the one that comes with this isn't that good -- and, for me, I have a lot of catching up with technology to do.

I realize that Blu-Ray receivers are suppose to do more than just deliver HD Sound. In that regard, this receiver is probably a little long in the tooth -- as in it's not tricked out for 3-D. Still, I do suspect the picture on my plasma TV is more brilliant and sharper when passed through this receiver.

But, for me, a receiver is about sound -- and this one does deliver in that regard. Whether you buy this as a 5.1 system and plan to move up later, or if you use all channels right away, you should be very happy with this receiver.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great except for tuner, September 8, 2010
I bought this unit because I love my Yamaha receiver that I've owned for the past 10+ years but needed to upgrade to take advantage of the new sound formats with BluRay. There was no problem connecting everything to it. The sound on BluRay, DVR & DVD is fantastic! It does the job and does it wonderfully! The only complaint is with the tuner. It only picks up 2 radio stations and one of them is HD. I don't understand why it is so poor at getting any other signal. I've looked around for a solution and have not had any luck. Since my wife likes to listen to the radio I am thinking about buying a separate tuner. I may experiment with a different antenna as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars 7.1+.1 or 9.1+.1 but not 7.2, built in IR repeater!, let me explain, February 5, 2011
I am very pleased with this purchase but the description as a 7.2 is wrong. This is a 7.1 with two separate sub outputs but the outputs are not separately controlled just a single split signal so technically this is only 7.1 with a built in split to two RCA connections. I guess we can call it 7.1+.1, this is not a big deal, I am using both sub outs and I still have control on each sub at each sub so the result is the same. Now I want to mention the idea of 9.1+.1 that is not really explained well for the product. Yamaha offers two extra channels they call presence channels which would give this a 9.1 quality (9.2 if you want to still consider the two non independent sub outs as 2 channels when they are not as I explained). The presence channels are two extra front height channels that are active when the receiver is running on Yamaha's "Cinema DSP 3d" setting. This is a Yamaha proprietary process setting that is further decoding the front Dolby or DTS signals to separate out two more front surround channels. This feature is quite impressive and I use it most often as it adds more height not expected in the original format of DTS or Dolby. Also overlooked until well after I had the unit hooked up is the built in IR repeater. You do still need additional devices to relay IR signals, but only a simple $12 IR receiver and $9 IR flasher. They plug into the back of the receiver with standard 3.5mm plugs to relay IR signals to control your whole rack in the cabinet or remote location. This is a really cool feature that I didn't figure out until a few weeks after using the receiver. You do not need an IR repeater box just the simple receiver and flasher devices to plug directly into the receiver which drives them. Overall I am very pleased with this purchase but thought these details needed some clarification as they are not explained well prior to purchase and are unexpected bonuses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect for all my needs, December 21, 2010
I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 because of the WEAK built in tuner. I replaced a Yamaha HTR-5063 which is a much lower end model, and even though it was lower end the built in FM tuner was SUPERIOR compared to the RX-V1065BL.

On the flip side this does have HD radio which my previous model didn't. The sound is amazing when you can get reception. Just don't move or stand near the unit or the tuner will cut out... It's also nice to be able to listen to multiple channels from one FM station (I think this is an HD Radio thing).

Really the FM tuner is the only flaw I have found so far. It's a big deal for me because I use it often. I almost gave the unit 3 stars but that's not fair considering how positive everything else is.

I am only using a 5.1 speaker system right now and it sounds amazing. I like knowing that I can easily move up to 7.1 when I'm ready and then can even have 2 additional speakers in another zone for the deck. Having 4 HDMI is nice; I already am using 3 out of four (Cable Box, PS3, & Media Center Computer). I'm also using AV1 (Xbox 360 with Optical) and wow I mean it's just as good as HDMI. The other feature I have with this upgraded unit is that I can make it so you must turn on the receiver to get Audio/Video (this is how it's configured by default). Why is this a feature to me? Because it forces my wife to use the receiver and take advantage of the system *evil grin*. With the previous model she would just bypass it and use the TVs built in speakers instead.

There's a lot of room to grow here. I do sometimes worry if I'll ever need more than 4 HDMI ports someday in the future but in reality I already have everything I need and wanted hooked up. There are still many features that I'm still playing with and I'm constantly referring to the manual. The "SCENE" buttons are really cool. I like how I can pre-set the sound fields and Video source based on what different scenarios.

The other thing that I can say is that since owning this product, our AV consumption has gone up pretty drastically due to the enjoyment. This could be a bad thing as I turn into more of a coach potato!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Receiver with great sound, November 27, 2010
I'll first start by saying that I got this receiver as a gold box deal for $277, so my impression of its value in comparison to other receivers may be a bit skewed. That being said, this receiver offers beautiful sound quality with great video upconversion, and is incredibly easy to use. The YPAO setup worked without a hitch, and the quality of surround-sound I get from it is truly excellent. The HD radio works great, and in conjunction with the GUI is great to use (displays songs and channel on screen).

My only two complaints about this item are:
1) Should include ipod compatibility without having to buy extra attachment (particularly if someone paid closer to retail on this item).
2) HDMI will not work if your TV is not HDCP compliant. Unfortunately I have a somewhat older tv which has a non-HDCP compliant HDMI input, and the HDMI output will not work with this. I am getting a new TV, so shouldn't be a problem, but for those with somewhat older HDTVs, be warned that you will have to use component video out, and that rules out using any HDMI video with this device.

Other than those 2 minor complaints, this is a great receiver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Choice at a great price, August 13, 2010
I was looking to update my Yamaha RXV850 when I came across the 1065 for $400. For that price it is an unbelievable value. I read a review that claims the receiver seemed to "run out of power" and am not sure what they are talking about. I paired this to my Paradigm 9semk3 speakers, Polk 505 12" subwoofer and let me tell you by the time you are at +1.00 the house was shaking. I then added a new pair of JBL ES30 speakers and Martin Logan center channel and it was all I could ask for. The Yamaha auto speaker set up is great. Clearly having all of the video routed thru this unit is a charm and makes life easier. My only issue is getting a handle on all of the programmed scenes for playback. You need to spend time studying to get the max out of the unit although you good just stick with the best two or three setups. Would I recommend this for audio and visual management? Absolutely.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›