on May 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
After using this unit for five weeks the HDMI inputs stopped producing sound. We couldn't return the unit to Amazon because we were beyond the 30-day return window so we logged onto the Yamaha web site to find the closest authorized repair store. Fortunately we found one that was fairly close by (25 miles) so we dropped it off for warranty repairs. After two weeks of waiting we called to get status on the repair and were told a new circuit board is on order and it will be another week or two before we get the unit back. Hopefully we'll have better luck with this unit when we get it back.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 30, 2011
I bought this unit to replace a 12-year-old Sony 5.1, which was on its last legs. I own another Yamaha 5.1 receiver which I like so much that I decided to stay with the brand. I ordered the Yamaha RX-V367BL, but the Amazon-authorized dealer was out of stock and offered the Yamaha RX-V371BL as a no-extra-cost substitution. Shipping was fast. The box contained an addendum stating that the power was 80 watts per channel, not 100 as advertised.

My system consists of a pair of large, old (inefficient) Pioneer floor-standing speakers, together with Polk Audio center and surround speakers, and a powered subwoofer. My TV is a 42 inch Panasonic Viera plasma. I have a Panasonic Viera Blu-Ray and a Comcast DVR. The room is small: a 10 x 10 ft. former bedroom converted to man-cave.

I Googled the Yamaha model number and downloaded the Owner's Manual, which I read before the unit was delivered. This made installation and setup even easier. HDMI cables virtually eliminated the rats' nest of wires behind my TV. A pleasant surprise: I also eliminated 2 remotes; now all I need is the Comcast remote to control the DVR (and TV on-off), and the Yamaha remote to control everything else.

Performance: This system rocks with my new receiver. It has much better sound than the old Sony. My speakers never sounded so good. Pass-through works beautifully from both the DVR and the Blue-Ray. Picture quality and sound quality are both amazing. There is ample power to rock the house.

Convenience: I can now switch between DVR and Blu-Ray with a single press of a SCENE button on the remote. Not only does it switch audio and video inputs, but it also switches sound fields, which are pre-programmed as my personal favorites for both the DVR (movies) and the Blu-Ray (primarily used for Pandora music). It's extremely easy to change sound fields as the programming changes, if you like.

Value: Many of these reviews describe this receiver as a starter unit, and it's true that the unit is simple enough and inexpensive enough for a first system. But for me, this unit has all the features I need for a very sophisticated home theater system. For the price, it's an outstanding value.

UPDATE 10/8/11: The Yamaha YDS-12 docking station for iPod is a 5-Star addition to my system. It works great with my new Nano 6th Generation iPod, which plugs directly into the dock (no adapter required). Now I can listen to my large collection of music through the receiver, and control the iPod with the receiver remote: the Stop, Play, Pause, Skip Forward and Skip Backward buttons all work beautifully. You can remotely apply the Yamaha sound fields to suit your taste. However, the receiver remote does not allow you to remotely select Song, Artist, Genre, Album, Shuffle, etc. These functions need to be done at the iPod. Also, there is no on-screen display, so there is no song info displayed on the TV (nor on the receiver display). This is OK by me, and the good news is that the TV doesn't have to be on to listen to the iPod. This is a major energy-saver.

A personal message to Apple and to Steve Job's family: iSad.
on December 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
I had to upgrade the guts of my HT system when the old 32" tube finally died! I moved from a Denon AV2800 that originally cost me $800 quite a long time ago, to this unit for $169! While this is at the entry level of this line for Yamaha, I was sticking with 5.1 and had no need for the extra features (like Pandora streaming) as you moved up the line. There was an immediate improvement in sound quality from all sources: new TV (with new digital audio connection), DVD, Tuner, and Xbox. I am very impressed at the quality and performance of this unit, especially at this price point.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 15, 2012
Verified Purchase
I stuck this fella between a Sony Blu-ray player and Samsung plasma via HDMI. It was easy to set up, and is easy to tweak. For the price, which is amazing to me, the sound is incredible. Full disclosure: I'm not an audiophile by any means, but this receiver blows away the old one I replaced. The 5.1 enhancement, for example, is beautiful when connecting a stereo input. Needless to say, the 5.1 sound from the Blu-ray is jaw-dropping excellent. It does its job well and I recommend without reservations.
on March 21, 2012
Verified Purchase
I'm very pleased with this receiver, so much so that I ordered a second one. It does lack the auto speaker calibration feature of that the V471 has, as well as the Pioneer VSX-521. IMO, this is an overblown feature. I bought the Pioneer VSX-821 and didn't think the auto calibration made much of a difference. The receiver itself does seem to offer less bass response than the Pioneer VSX-821 out of the box, but I'll touch on how you can adjust that shortly. This receiver sounds great for under $160 and has many of the features the more expensive Yamaha receivers offer, as well as features other brands lower priced receivers don't offer. I'll touch on just a few.

1. One of the best features of this receiver is the ability to rename inputs. The Pioneer VSX-521 and 821 don't offer this. Have a PS3 and hook it up to HDMI 1? Rename HDMI 1 to PS3 or anything else you want it to read. The remote buttons for inputs are named numerically, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc.. The Pioneer remote has preset buttons that are named, so your HDMI inputs are named BD/HD, DVD, etc.. I like it MUCH better knowing on my remote that my PS3 is tagged to HDMI 1 on the remote, not BD/HD, DVD, etc..

2. Each of the 5 speakers can be adjusted with an EQ. This gives you the ability to fine tune each speaker to the desired sound you enjoy. Again, those Pioneer models don't offer this. So if you find the bass a little light on the front speakers, go into the EQ and adjust the bass response accordingly.

Other pluses>
* ability to set the receiver to auto-shutoff.
* Receiver display shows a picture of which speakers are active in the current setting.
* Can set the maximum sound level and the sound level when the receiver is turned on.
* Memory guard, which protects your settings from accidentally being changed.
* Scene buttons that you can set, which allows you to preset an input and settings to one button.

One note on the new, entry level 2012 Yamaha model RX-373. The remote doesn't have the TV inputs to control your TV from the receiver remote. Look at the bottom of the VSX-371 remote and you see the TV controls. Yamaha removed this feature from the new model for some reason.
Verified Purchase
ill summ it up. this receiver for the price is well worth the money. yes there is the newer 473 version and in a few months probyel a newer version yet . i have the rxv 671 with eathernet capabilty which i use . ive owned yamaha recevers since the late 1980s . this recever the 371 has the 4 hdmi inputs 1 out ypal of setting up your sound all the dsp modes for surround eather movies or music 5.1 or two channel stereo. which ever way you want to use it you can. set up is pretty easy. i bought two of these for my younger sons as like most kids there into video games there shows and both love music. so i can hook up there tvs cd players and wii ps3 or x box. hook up 5.1 speaker set up and there you have it . in there rooms and not bugging for the tv downstairs. back to the receiver it sez 100 watts per channel its 80 which is not a problem . for those that think you need a thousand watts to have great or loud sound thats not true . i also have an intregra recever that puts out 90 watts as my rxv 671 and that will play at theater levels way to loud at the 80 to 90 watts. as this rxv 371 will play more then loud enough for movies and music. you are probley wondering what speakers im useing . ok i purchesed the 5.0 jamo speakers fro m here at 115 for the set . actuly 3 sets for all my sons . there 6 ohm verses 8 ohm . what that means is they use more wattage to run them . its pretty easy to switch the receiver to 6 ohm which has the capabilty to switch over . a quick reffence to that power up the recever goto the straight switch on the front of your recever go through the promts for that and switch it to 6 ohms . if your speakers are 8 let it go. for the features this receiver has and the price you cant go wrong . this has more then receivers 3 times its price honstly more then the 600 dollar intregra 20.4 i have . in terms the only thing the intregra has is a usb plug in for the net the warrent is longer , makes you think though is there something i should know because the warrenty is longer . sound on the yamaha is equelley as good as far as im concerned,you have more dsp modes the intregra has 4 plus dolby surrounds. all in all its just a v ery good all around receiver . ide buy more with out a doubt. and i recamed them to freinds . for the price and features and what you get you cant go wrong.up date/ . 7/14/13. bothe 371s still working fine .took one and hooked it up to my def techs . 8040 . they sounded great with this little receiver. though I was pussing it at -16 very loud it got kinda warm . but no issues ran it for about three hours like that . I moved the rx-v 671 to our bed room and up graded that to a rx-a 2020 . at 9.2 with extra zones. I have all Yamaha recivers and will not switch. ive had Yamaha for years . there great and very tough . exelent sound and a lot of different adjustments for sound and other components.
VINE VOICEon July 29, 2011
I replaced my older Yamaha receiver with this one as I have upgraded to an HD TV, Blu-Ray player, HD programming and a Network box, so I needed good HDMI support. I am very pleased with this Yamaha receiver. Compared to my old receiver, this one is far more complex, but that's because it has many, many more options. However, it didn't take me long to get it set up and working exactly as I want it as it has a great user manual. The remote is quite large with a lot of buttons on it, but it's logically laid out and easy to use. Most importantly, the HDMI passthrough function works perfectly.

When I hear people complaining that this receiver is a wimp, I must disagree. Maybe it won't fill an auditorium with sound, but for us normal folk who have it in our normal-size middle-class digs, it has ample power. Even when I hear a song I really like and turn the volume up pretending I'm still a teenager, I can't turn it on full blast.

I do have a 12" powered sub woofer hooked up, and my speakers are not 15+ years old and should have been tossed eight years ago, but rather only two years old. Also, my speakers are very efficient ... inefficient speakers need more power to provide sound at the same level as efficient speakers, sometimes a LOT more power. By the way, efficiency has no bearing on the sound quality of the speaker.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 14, 2013
Verified Purchase
As much as I wanted to love it, it was a pretty lackluster unit. It failed within a month and wouldn't output to the front left channel, and now I've got to ship it to a service center for repair, when I used it 3 times. Now I've got to pay for that, too.

Device-wise, there are quite a few things that are annoying. Even cheaper units have on-screen display, and this doesn't, which isn't a big deal, but it's still sorta disappointing. It doesn't seem to adjust well with the speaker distance settings. Even with the surround speakers set to 3 feet and others at 10, it didn't adjust enough to keep from hearing the surround really loud and barely hear the center and left/right.

Another issue is with AnyNet+ or any other HDMI-return channel style connection. You want to have the capability to have your unit communicate with your smart-tv or other device, but after turning on the TV and picking the device, it will switch to the TV input for sound, as it recognizes the return audio from the TV. Essentially, this means hitting the correct input again to get the right audio.

Quite a bit of the time, it doesn't get the correct settings for audio, and it just doesn't work. If you switch from one device to another, it tends to lose signal altogether and requires you to shut it off then restart it.

Anyway, I expected it to be quite better, because even the most anal of audiophiles i know recommend them. They must have had a different model, because this one has yet to impress me... at all.

Now I'm going to have to pay for shipping and be without a receiver for months, when I could have paid what I now have in it, and got a much better unit. The Onkyo system in a box that I purchased for my other room has much better capability and features, and the whole set was cheaper than this unit. If I had the option to do it all over again, I would have got another onkyo receiver.
Verified Purchase
Enjoyable I had this system set up with floor model speakers. Great price, had it professionally installed, couldn't set the system up without them.
on December 21, 2012
Nice Reciever works great. i would suggest it to many friends and family
Great price. also very easy to setup

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations