5.0 out of 5 stars This Could Be Your Tipping Point!
Published on October 10, 2011 by Ryle Shermatz

2.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to love it
Published on April 20, 2012 by M. Patrick

5.0 out of 5 stars This Could Be Your Tipping Point!, October 10, 2011
Ryle Shermatz (Cedar Rapids, IA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha RX-V371BL 5.1- Channel A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I offer my perspective as someone who has purchased and used several Yamaha receivers over the years, with upgrades required as the technology ratcheted up to encompass various new video capabilities, sound processing superpowers, and most recently HDMI inputs/outputs, leading up to the new HDMI 1.4 standard for 3D playback. I have NEVER fried out a Yamaha receiver--but let me hasten to add that I don't abuse them at high volume over lengthy periods of use either. Every Yamaha receiver I have owned is still in good working order as of this writing, 10/10/11.

My current reciever was/is a formidable RX-V1800, which is a mid-level dreadnought of a Yamaha receiver. But having recently purchased a 3D TV I now needed HDMI 1.4 capability to process the 3D signal. It IS of course possible to simply feed the blu-ray player (a Sony PlayStation 3 in my case) directly into the TV and enjoy the 3D picture with the TV speaker output (which certainly works), but no one could be happy with that for long. I toyed with the idea of getting an HDMI switcher so I could flip between processing a regular HDMI 1.3 signal through the RX-V1800 receiver or chanelling the 3D signals directly to the TV from my PS3, but none of the HDMI switchers I looked at explicitly said "this switcher handles the new 1.4 HDMI standard".

Ultimately I knew I'd have to get a new receiver that could handle 1.4 which I was VERY reluctant to do. My current RX-V1800 was (and is) fully functional, and I'm reluctant to mothball it so soon.

The $229 price for the RX-V371 tipped me into the buy, and though I've had it for only a short while, I think my long familiarity with Yamaha allows me to say with some confidence that this is a WINNER especially at this price. Now as you should expect, a LOT of bells and whistles have been sacrificed. There is no microphone auto-balancing of speakers, it is plain old 5.1 (no "height" channels or 7.1 options), and I hardly need to add no discrete 5.1 inputs, or inputs for VHS, tape, S-video or phono. Yamaha's sound processing modes (auditorium, jazz club,concert hall, etc) are likewise absent here. There ARE two optical audio inputs, one for TV so your TV audio gets the full spectrum playback over your speakers (if your TV is tricked out with audio return channel function you won't need this--the TV will output its audio signal through your HDMI cable). The owners' manual is provided on a CD ROM disc, which is something new to me but I suppose it's another cost-saving measure. There are four HDMI inputs and one HDMI output.

So, yes, as the price and stripped-down features summarized above suggest, this is everything you need to get a living room home theater setup going with possibly a second DVD or CD player added (along with your blu-ray player--I am presuming you wouldn't even be considering this receiver unless you had already crossed the blu-ray capability threshold).

Let me admit up front I'm not an obsessive angry audiophile who listens deliberately to find flaws, distortion, and imperfections. I'm looking for adequate volume to fill my space (14 x 28' living room) and enough muscle to get as loud as the soundtrack/music demands without rattling my windows or antagonizing the neighbors. I also want clear channel separation--L, R, surrounds & sub all working and capable of reproducing the audio engineering in a 5.1 source, or expanding a stereo source to credibly fill a 5.1 array. I have four Polk bookshelf models on ceiling shelves that sound great plus a Polk center & subwoofer.) So far (to my ears anyway) this receiver is the sonic equal of the RX-V1800 I swapped out AND it processes the 1.4 3D video signal perfectly for an unbelievably vivid 3D picture--standard 2D looks INCREDIBLE also. (You WILL need two new 1.4 HDMI cables, but those can be CHEAPLY bought right here on Amazon.)

I wanted to comment publicly on the RX-V371, because you know what? I don't think we properly appreciate how good we've got it! At my age (54) I clearly remember the primitive black & white TV's I grew up with that nevertheless held my fascination for hour after brain-rotting hour. Those crude, sawtoothed pictures and kazoo-squawky sound would be intolerable today (rabbit ears with strips of tinfoil, anyone?). Color TV took years to get it right; I flash back to 1960's early color sets oscillating between a red, blue or green tinted picture in between long fits of incurable picture roll. I don't think a proper color CRT image and broadcasting was perfected until the 1970's, just in time for VHS and Betamax to create new complications. Today we have SPECTACULAR images through blu-ray and DVD; the new flat screen TV's have NEVER been (comparatively) cheaper, larger, lighter or more idiot-proof than they are now. The concept of "home theater" never really took root until the 1980's and now it is almost simple to set up a staggering 3D system with 5.1 sound, for maybe $1,500-$2,000. That is nothing short of INCREDIBLE I think, and the new availability of sub-$300 receivers like this RX-V371 makes it even more economically realistic to take the plunge if you've been hesitating to make the jump into home theater.

The explosion of technology the RX-V371 is a part of will continue, and who knows how long before a new wave of now-unimaginable possibilities makes this obsolete. Probably sooner than we think. However we don't live in the future, we're living NOW and at $229 from Amazon, I think the RX-V371 should be an absolute "tipping point" for folks looking to upgrade their home theater experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent entry-level receiver, May 16, 2011
T. A. Clark (Spring Valley, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I wanted something that would handle my gaming systems well, be great for movies and television, and be easy enough to use that my wife and kids can enjoy it without feeling intimidated. I also wanted a receiver that would be simple to maintain and manage connections on, and this has really fit the bill perfectly.
Setup was incredibly simple. For a 360 and PS3 all I needed to do was just plug in the HDMI cables to the inputs on the receiver, and then another HDMI cable to the TV output, and that was it...everything was ready to go for the hookups. The display is clear and easy to understand, and speaker configuration on it is easy to configure and handled in a way that makes it a piece of cake to tweak to your liking.

If you're just looking at getting started, don't have an extravagant AV setup, and want something that sounds good and is future proof for a reasonable price I couldn't find a better way to go than with this receiver. I only have it set up with just 2 bookcase front speakers because of my living room layout, and it still sounds terrific even at low volume. It has plenty of punch and dialog is crystal clear when watching movies and television, much better than what I had before.

I'm really, really happy with it. An enthusiast might want to look at the higher end models, but for someone just trying to start a better home theater setup this is a great way to get going.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Starting Point..., June 5, 2011
I bought this to replace my Denon AVR-1910. I knew I would be stepping down in terms of quality&performance but I seem to like this receiver better than my Denon! Yes, this is an entry-level receiver but it's great for anyone wanting to step into HT for the first time. Manual is confusing but I think I was just overthinking some things because I was so use to the Denon. Performance is great for the price. I went from a 6.1 setup down to a 3.1 and the receiver plays my Blu-rays better than I expected. Music sounds great too. I don't bother with any of the CinemaDSP stuff, I just play everything on "STRAIGHT" mode and everything sounds like its supposed to. Advice to HT beginners, get great sounding speakers first then concentrate on the receiver. This one is great if you spent most of your HT budget on speakers (like me). RECOMMENDED.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to love it, April 20, 2012
I really wanted to love this Yamaha RX-V371. I had researched for several months and read many reviews of this product and had finally decided this was the one for me. I was replacing an older Onkyo that I loved but did not have any HDMI inputs. At the same time as purchasing the Yamaha I also purchased a Samsung BD-D5500 Blu-ray player and that's where the trouble started.

First this unit does sound great and has some really good features. Loved being able to set an initial turn-on volume. Loved the 4 scene buttons and how that integrated all my audio/video equipment together.

The problem is that the Yamaha would not play Blu-ray disc audio most of the time. It took quite a while to determine what was happening and the trouble was finally narrowed down to the HDMI control circuitry. With HDMI control set to "On" the audio would not play. When set to "OFF" it would. I went thru much changing of cables, HDMI inputs, etc. Even purchased a second new Samsung BD-D5500 and tried it with the same results. I own a Samsung LN55D650 tv. I was told by Yamaha support that having the same make TV and Blu-ray player can cause this type of trouble with the HDMI control however, in the user manual I found a note stating that Yamaha actually recommends having the same make player and TV.

I worked with Yamaha Level 1 and Level 2 support who were knowledgable, friendly and concerned but who ultimately could not help me rectify this problem. Finally, I purchased an Onkyo TX-SR313 which solved the problem. I have had no issues with the Onkyo.

As always, Amazon amazed with service. Received this receiver in 2 days and return of the defective unit was as easy and pain free as could be. The new Onkyo was received in just 1 day! Thank you Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars solid entry-level AV receiver, June 10, 2011
I needed an entry-level AV home theater receiver to use while I was visiting another city for several months, for work. I have a higher-end Onkyo unit which I use for home theater. I got this not expecting too much, given its rock-bottom price, but I was pleasantly surprised both by the wealth of features and settings and the sound quality. It handles four HDMI inputs, is very easy to use, can do digital optical and coax audio, and even has optional Bluetooth and iPod/iPhone dock hookups. There are a vast array of DSP settings. I actually got this as part of the Yamaha home theater bundle --- again, not expecting much given the low price, but the sound quality is quite impressive for the money. Clear mids and highs for such inexpensive speakers --- the bass is a bit boomy and muddy, but you can't have everything at this price. You can hook up more expensive speakers, of course, to this unit, and get even better results.

I have to hand it to Yamaha for making such a solid entry-level unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great!, October 15, 2011
Fantastic receiver for the price! We have it connected to a new LG 55" 3D TV, Blu-ray player, DVD Recorder, Dish Receiver all through the HDMI receiver inputs with only having to connect one HDMI (output) cable to the TV. Also have POLK speakers connected and everything works great! Also, many sound options to chose from with STRAIGHT being the option most used (automatically selects digital 5.1 or pro-logic movie mode if program is not broadcast in Digital). Totally satisfied!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gem of a Receiver, August 5, 2012
I tend to do reviews well after I have purchased a product and not in the honeymoon phase. I have owned this receiver for almost a year now. I primarily got this receiver for two reasons. First was to get a surround sound setup for my living room. I actually got this in a package and it came with 5 yamaha speakers and a sub-woofer. Second was so that I could get a handle on all the different input devices I was using. At the time I got this, I had a PS3, Xbox 360, Google TV and cable television box. My TV only supported 3 HDMI inputs, so I had to unplug one if I wanted to plug in another. This receiver has 4 HDMI inputs and one HDMI out. Mostly though, I wanted 5.1 surround sound while playing video games. And this did not disappoint. It absolutely blew away my mind first time I played Call of Duty: Black Ops using this. It adds a whole new dimension to gaming. I would say adds a good 20-25% to your gaming experience if you have been playing just using the TV speakers.

Moving on to movies. I have a big collection of HD movies and have been playing them mostly using the PS3. Video wise, I didn't notice any difference playing directly from PS3 or playing using this receiver. Sound however was absolutely fantastic. Again, it adds new level of immersion to your media and everything just sounds better. I found the speakers that came with the home theater package to be of decent quality and I could hear every bit of detail in the movies. In fact sometimes, I find watching movie better at home than in theaters. That never happened before I got this system. It really reproduces every sound detail very well and dialogues are crisp and clear. I also didn't find the sound to be overwhelming in any way. It doesn't color the sound or add bass or treble to the source. You can also tweak a lot of sound settings in the menus. So you can adjust equalizer to fit your hearing taste.

Music. I find everything quite pleasing for my ears. The default Yamaha speakers that came with mine are by no means high quality speakers but the sound is better than what I get out of my computer using higher quality speakers. Yamaha is a premium sound company, has been for years, and they really know their stuff. The least you have to worry about is the sound being bad. It may not be of the highest quality in the market but for this price I doubt you can get anything better than this.

Other features: Plenty of inputs, front RCA inputs are helpful to plug in your iPod. The remote has nice feel to buttons and is very responsive. It's better than the remote for my HDTV. The receiver looks good and doesn't look cheap at all. It's really easy to switch between inputs and also easy to apply different Cinema DSPs (sound settings) with touch of a button on the remote. It Has quite a few sound presets for movies and music as well as different surround sound options. I don't have one favourite and use whatever seems to suit for a particular movie/song. For headphones, I found 2Ch stereo to produce the best sound.

Downsides: Menus. It can be little challenging to navigate through all the settings on the small size screen. However, I only had to fiddle with it a few times before getting it how I wanted and I don't really have to go to the menu for anything anymore. They do have newer versions and more expensive models that have a visual interface through output. And it may be worth it for some people, definitely easier to go through menus. But if you are a student or on tight budget, I would skip that. Like I said, you only use it till you get it right and then don't necessarily have to touch it.

Overall, after owning this receiver for almost a year, I will say that it is one of the best purchases I've ever made along with PS3. It has definitely made my gaming, watching movies and listening to music more enjoyable and for this price, there's really nothing more I ask of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning, this is not 100 watts per channel! False advertising?, December 12, 2012
First of all, I think this is a pretty decent receiver / amp and almost everything that Yamaha and Amazon billed it as was not far from the mark. That being said, I got a little surprise when I opened brand new unit's box. Mixed in with the instructions was a notification from Yamaha that reads basically as "Additional information on specification for U.S.A. model" the rated Output Power to Front, Center and Surround speakers is 80 WATTS!

Why does everything ... the amazon review, the product information, the technical information and the box it comes in say this system is 100 watts per channel?

I had collected some speakers in anticipation of getting a Yamaha 100 watts-per-channel-system only to find out that they will now be under powered! I have always had a pretty high opinion of customer-friendly Amazon and the usually well-reviewed audio equipment manufacturer Yamaha, so I found this somewhat underhanded way of saying that the equipment wasn't quite what we said it is rather disappointing to say the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent features & power for the money, June 27, 2011
I picked up this same unit at Costco (HTR 3064) and am extremely please with it. The Yamaha RX-V371 and the HTR 3064 are different in name only. The HTR line are sold to larger retail stores like Costco and Best Buy, and the RX V series through Yamaha specialty retailers and smaller shops. Often the HTR line is sold as a bundle as in home-theater-in-a-box sets.

Very easy to use, set up, and customize. Has all the power that I need it for. I have the value-priced Boston Acoustic CS series speakers and the system does everything I need it to do. Plays music flawlessly (I have a pretty good ear but not a super-picky aficionado). My country, classic rock and classical music sound full, loud if need be and very clear. I'm actually hearing instruments I never noticed after all these years. Example Paul Simon's Graceland sounds sublime and I can hear all the different instruments from the South African talent he jammed with.

PROS: Remote does EVERYTHING and is still very intuitive and easy to use. The four SCENE functions allow for ease of use to watch TV or listen to music very simply by pressing ONE button, whether for radio, CD, TV or iPod. Very sensitive volume controls. Adjustable sound functions - important to a sound fiddler like myself. It doesn't substitute for an equalizer (I miss not having one of those) but still very workable. The sound is awesome. Clear, loud (if need be), plenty of base, excellent highs, decent mids. Of course I only have 2-way speakers so what do I expect? I love that its a Yamaha and that although an entry level model, the same brand as many serious audiophiles buy.

Cons: The only negative is the lack of iPod input. But I only paid $200 so I really can't complain, so still definitely a (5) star rating. I could have paid more for a receiver with an iPod input, usb etc, but then I would have been out of pocket for at LEAST $150 additional. It DOES have a front AUX input which works very well for iPod/iPhone (device sees the receiver as headphones), however the manual says its for 'temporary use'...Yamaha probably just wants you to buy their iPod/iPhone docking station. Playing the iPod is really a priority for me so I went ahead and purchased the optional docking station for not too much (eBay and Vanns clearance usually have lots of YDS12's offered for WAY below retail). I could have just used an iPod cable(rear RCA) which would have probably worked the same but I like how I can control the iPod with the remote using the docking station. Plus it sits up nicely in the cradle.

Bottom Line: Plenty of power, features and inputs for the budget conscious music lover. Lots of sound options for the movie fan. Buy the docking station for best iPod listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great receiver, but using the EQ is a must., September 21, 2012
I bought this receiver to replace my old Sony Str-K750. At first I was a little disappointed with the Yamaha, as the sound quality was a little flat and the surround sound was weak. However after a few tweaks, the sound is quite impressive. First, you really should use the embedded graphic equalizer. It is cumbersome to use, since you have to set each speaker individually. But after lowering the mid range frequencies and boosting the low and high frequencies, the sound quality was vastly improved. It now has a warmer and clearer sound. Regarding the surround sound, it sounds amazing when playing from a digital source such as blur-ray, dvd, or PS3. But, when playing broadcast Dolby Digital( I use a HD antenna) or sound from an online streaming service, such as Amazon Instant Video, it sounds flat with very little immersion or sense of depth. I believe the problem lies not in the receiver, but in how the surround signals are encoded. When using a digital connection (optical in my case) you cannot utilize the Dolby Prologic II decoder. The digital signal processing (DSP) is only ok and does not give a great surround sound. But connecting the receiver using analog cables allows you to use the Prologic decoder and the sound is impressive, very similar to the sound from a Blu-ray. I know it is a step backwards, but the sound quality is very nice when connected this way. I use a Harmony remote, so switching inputs is quite easy (My PS3 is connected in both digital and analog formats since I use digital for games and blur ray, but analog for streaming movies and tv).
For the price, I am very happy with this receiver, but it does need a little tinkering to make it sing.