Yamaha RX-V377 5.1-Channel A/V Home Theater Receiver
Style Name: ReceiverChange
Price:$249.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Style Name: Receiver
This unit came on market 3/4/14. I received it 4/1/14, to replace a very good Yamaha RX 397. The initial setup with the YPAO microphone is fast & easy. The (3) menus displayed on your TV are easy to read. The Yamaha display is bright & blue; some large letters, some small. I connected a satellite receiver & Sony BluRay via HDMI, and an Onkyo CD player via digital coax. The first sound out of the box is very good. You'll want to tweak the sound to your tastes, and many, many adjustments can be made. It takes a little time to learn the menus and adjustments, but 95% of them make sense. The owners manual (85 pages) is a CD-ROM; I prefer paper. This unit has five 100watt amps. It has plenty of power for my room size, which is 12' by 20'. Volume level is 0 - 97, and 60 is usually loud. The sound is clear and strong and musical, with good definition and depth. Yamaha's "natural sound" is a good thing. Yamaha uses quality parts to produce "clean" sound. It has discrete amp configuration, found in higher-end receiver's, for high sound quality. FM radio reception is good. Considered an entry level receiver, but it suits my needs well. The feature list is long. Good value for the money. The unit looks very cool. I think Yamaha has a winner here.
on August 25, 2014
Style Name: ReceiverVerified Purchase
Although I wouldn't describe myself as an audiophile, I've had a basic 5 speaker home theater setup for some time. To improve the sound, I recently bought a new center channel speaker (Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000) and that helped somewhat, but a relative who installs home theaters urged me to replace my 15 year-old Sony AV receiver if I really wanted to hear a difference. So after some online research I decided on a Yamaha, and chose the RX-V377 because I didn't need the streaming music features, as I mainly watch sports, TV shows, and movies from Netflix and cable. Setup was simple and straightforward. Once I had everything connected and ran the setup process with the microphone that was provided, I was stunned by the difference in sound. I thought my speakers needed upgrading, but they now they sound much, much better. Formerly muddy dialogue is now crystal clear with the Drama setting, sound effects are subtle but realistic, and when I watch sports I feel like I'm part of the crowd at the game (aided by the receiver's Sports setting). While there are far more features that I will ever use (or even understand), and I'm still trying to figure out how to turn off my TV with the receiver's remote (pretty trivial in the scheme of things), this was a modest financial investment with a big payoff in listening pleasure. I'm now tempted to get a subwoofer to enhance the sound even more.
on August 6, 2014
Audio Review

***preliminary assessment***

Pros:

easy setup
good construction
not too heavy
solid performance
crisp and detailed
great clarity
clean sound
DSP modes

Cons:

compatibility issues
ARC is temperamental (HDMI CONTROL switching)

I replaced my old working but defective Harman Kardon with this unit. after much deliberation choosing between Harman Kardon, Pioneer, Denon and Onkyo, I ended up with the unlikely choice of Yamaha. although Yamaha doesn't seem like a popular brand as far as receivers are nowadays, it sounds to be very capableof performing solidly well in terms of audio quality. personally, I would have preferred the Harman Kardon, Pioneer, Denon and Onkyo which are more popular and enjoy a great cult status from audiophiles and all for a good reason. alsonot to mention that they were all cheaper and loaded with features and mostly on sale, for the heck that I didn't understand I went to spend a bit more on the newer 2014 Yamaha RX-V377 starter model.reasons are because of reliability, durability and support. as I have done my homework before finally deciding on the Yamaha, the other starter and midrange models that are loaded seems to have some issues with lemons and for a great deal. it's fantastic results if you end up with a great copy of an HK, Pioneer, Denon and Onkyo but it's also a person's own worst nightmare if you get a lemon.

the Yamaha RX-V377 is basically a budget model although I wouldn't really underestimate it as far as audio capabilities are concerned. it is basically an amazing quality mid-range audio receiver stripped of extra features (which I believe majority wouldn't even use). I consider it a midrange receiver since it lacks the power output needed for a very large home theatre arena or room of 30x30 ft or more which I don't believe most people even have. the receiver is sufficient for medium to large size room of maximum 20x25 ft dimension with a height of 8-9 ft. be wary that the the kind of speaker (size and impedance) , wires (type, gauge, length), speaker placements or soundstaging, and room acoustics can greatly impact the sound quality result.

in an ideal setup, the receiver can pack a punch of that of an amazing home theatre experience. a bad setup even with a great reciever would have a bad result. so make sure that you have your area optimized to it's best. the V377 audio quality is very crisp and detailed. the swoosh of a wind, breath of a person and the tiny tinking sound of a glass, scratching and rubbing sound can be distinctive even a low volume. the audio is also clean without any glitch or annoying white noise. audio quality is best at medium volume and although it is capable of going at max volume, quality then is inconsistent. I would recommend staying at around 85%.

audio conversion from 2 channel signal to multi-channel is great. I always choose NEO 6 for my channel configuration as I find it more pleasing as far as personal preference goes. on the otherhand, the DSP presets available for certain listening setups are also very good and could bring that certain vibe you are looking for a certain movie. I find that the Drama and Sci-Fi setup to be the best in movie sounds in general.

it is not the best receiver in terms of audio quality as far as I can tell. although it is up there among the best value for performance ratio. the audio performance is very strong and excellent in quality and can match or even be better for 1/3 or 1/2 the cost than other medium range receivers. if you don't need the extra features and audio is only what you are after, then the V377 works. phenomenal performance though is reserved to the really high-end and costly system.

for the money, it is all worth it especially reliability and support service is a huge concern. since I don't want problems and time wasted on a faulty system. I heard Yamaha though not perfect are more reliable than other receiver brands. also heard better customer support and the availability of a service center nearby is one plus factor.

*** CONS ***

the only fault I find with this receiver is the ARC audio transmission that is lost/deactivated whenever either the unit or the tv is turned off. the switching needs to be done manually everytime and could be bothersome especially if it is suppose to be automatically transmitting after turning on either device. having said that, it seems that all receivers suffer such sound loss/deactivation via HDMI ARC. probably due to compatibility issues with certain devices, firmware and HDMI port type and HDMI cable. just remember to turn on the receiver's HDMI Control each time you turn on the receiver for use.

***HELP GUIDE*** (HDMI ARC WORKAROUND solution)

to reactivate the HDMI CONTROL ARC, it just needs to be turned OFF, then ON again. it's a 3 step process. just go the HDMI Setup on the AVR remote and turn the HDMI CONTROL From OFF to ON. and you should be good.

I assigned my HDMI Audio on Audio on the remote and pass the audio thru the HDMI output jack from the TV's HDMI input via ARC. my BLU-RAY player is directly connected to the receiver via HDMI (assigned under HDMI 1 on the AVR remote) for bitstream audio decoding on the AVR and video pass-through and my S/PDIF Audio designated under the AVR remote's AV1. basically, I find very little difference between the audio quality of the converted 2 channel audio signal from the HDMI and Toslink connections to the receiver when converting to a multi-channel setup unless the audio signal is transmitting in HD, then the HDMI Audio connection is or should be then put to good use as the difference would be substantial as opposed to using the S/PDIF audio. choice of decoding audio via a Blu-Ray player's own decoded PCM audio or passing bitstream audio to the receiver for decoding and PCM conversion is a matter of choice. though people would say that the PCM conversion is pretty much the same quality, I do beg to differ. the quality is different and up to you which result you would prefer. but then the point of buying a $300 AV receiver with an audio decoder is to use it, right?

*** Overall : Great Product and a Recommended purchase for people on the budget for a high quality AVR midrange performer.
on March 20, 2014
Style Name: ReceiverVerified Purchase
I haven't purchased a receiver in some time and noticed the V377 was the same price as the V375... so why not, right? Comes with the surround sound via front speakers which was pretty ideal considering that's how I was going to utilize the speakers. It sounds great, easy to set up and seamlessly transitions from input to input. I bought this along with Energy Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black) (Set of Six, Black) and I really can't be happier.

Only thing that was annoying between the speakers and the Receiver is the sub woofer input. On the receiver it only has one slot for an RCA cable, the speakers however have left and right. Just needed to buy a RCA cable splitter ($4) and problem was fixed.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 19, 2014
Style Name: ReceiverVerified Purchase
I got the RX-V377 to replace an old broken Samsung home theater system. I was glade that the receiver arrived days before it was expected, I spent the next day to run all the the wires nice and neat though out my entertainment stand only to find out that when I plugged it in it didn't turn on. (-☆) So I sent it back to Amazon, got the replacement rather quickly, But the same thing happen once everything was hooked up it wouldn't even turn on (-☆) when I got my third receiver the first thing I did was take it out of the box and plugged it in. Finally I got one that works, I have only had it for about a few days now and I already know I'm going to love this receiver. But one thing I have noticed is it seems to run a little hot, so I suggest giving it as much room as possible. Once I put it on a shelf, I ended up taking the shelf down another notch, just to be safe.
on March 14, 2014
Style Name: Receiver
I have used Yamaha A/V receivers since high school in early 2000, and this will be my third unit. I haven't had any issues with prior receivers, but upgraded for the extra features. The V377 is an excellent upgrade that added Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and YPIO automatic speaker calibration to my A/V setup.

I highly recommend this receiver for its combination of a low price point while including all the necessary features for an excellent home theater.
on August 21, 2014
Style Name: Refurbished ReceiverVerified Purchase
This receiver delivers great cinema sound experience. I hook it up with a htpc so I don't really need the network capabilities from a receiver. 4 HDMI inputs cover all my need, 1 bluray/CD player, 1 console, 1 htpc/roku, 1 for laptop? That should be enough for most of people.

Now, this receiver has a lot of power to drive my pioneer Andrew John (6 ohms) speakers, they go really loud at only 65% of max volume. Sound quality in movies is fantastic, music sounds good too, I find myself enjoy listening to stereo music in the stereo 5.1 mode, it feels more weighted, 'bassier'.

Setup menu is easy to understand and navigate although the interface looks dated and plain. Build quality is decent, doesn't run hot even after a day of non stop radio FM and movies / music.

I initially wanted the higher model, v677 for network capabilities, hdmi 2.0 and more power to drive my speakers but now I know I don't need these features at all because:

-My htpc does networks tasks much better than any receivers out there.
-This v377 has much more power to drive my speakers than I ever need. In fact at 70% volume it us already too loud for me.
- Hdmi 2.0 is still a far future as good 4k TVs wont get cheap any soon.

I paid 127$ for a refurb, and I'm super happy for what I getting from it. Amazon is doing a great job on price + delivery and this Yamaha v377 is superb in every way, you will be very pleased unless you buy it to listen to stereo music and expect audiophile sound.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 18, 2014
Style Name: ReceiverVerified Purchase
Although we don't use many of the settings for the various sounds, such as Vienna Concert Hall, the ones we do use are perfect. The drama setting makes dialog easier to understand and the Cellar Club setting is perfect for any musical programs. I can't imagine a need for anything more expensive. It's great!
on June 13, 2014
Style Name: ReceiverVerified Purchase
Great price, works well with everything we've thrown at it, the 4k compatibility will make this future proof, but more importantly: it sounds great! And what a price (I paid just $250). We used to use an HDMI switch in addition to another Yamaha system to pass video through to our TV (just one HDMI input), and this removes that need and certainly boosts it's value, not to mention you no longer have split your audio feeds from each devices' HDMI port.

The screen on the front is considerably more useful than older models and there are plenty of customization options available. The pass through for 4x HDMI ports allow the receiver to display information on your TV as well, such as a visual volume control.

Overall, a very nice, sturdy and reliable product. Enjoy!
on December 24, 2014
Style Name: ReceiverVerified Purchase
This is my first ever purchase of a home theater receiver system. I have connected this receiver to my Sony Bravia TV, Sony Bluray Player, and Definitive Technologies Speakers. Overall, I am pretty happy with the product. I especially like the various movie and music settings to simulate different types of sound effects and environments. I encourage experimenting with various settings and adjust them according to your taste.

Some downsides include having to manually turn HDMI Control on while using the Bluray Player to watch movies on BD/DVD/Netflix. Similarly, I have to manually turn HDMI Control off while listening to music on the iPod (connected via USB), and while watching TV (because Sony Bravia does not allow Audio Return Channel using HDMI to be used with non-Sony products). My TV's audio output is connected to the receiver using RCA cables. It would have been nice if the receiver turned HDMI Control on or off automatically depending on the audio input source.

I used the Yamaha-supplied YPAO microphone to calibrate the speakers, but then had to reset the speaker volume levels back to default values. After experimenting a bit more with the volume levels, I increased the surround speaker volumes to -4 db (which I believe is relative to the general volume adjustment on the receiver) to get the surround sound effects I desired. Again, personal taste may drive you to setup the receiver as you please. I am happy with the fact the receiver, in fact, lets me make adjustments to suit my taste.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations