Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Yamaha RX-V377-R 5.1-Channel Factory Refurbished Network AV Receiver
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 10, 2014
This unit came on market 3/4/14. I received it 4/1/14, to replace a very good Yamaha RX 397. The initial setup with the YPAO microphone is fast & easy. The (3) menus displayed on your TV are easy to read. The Yamaha display is bright & blue; some large letters, some small. I connected a satellite receiver & Sony BluRay via HDMI, and an Onkyo CD player via digital coax. The first sound out of the box is very good. You'll want to tweak the sound to your tastes, and many, many adjustments can be made. It takes a little time to learn the menus and adjustments, but 95% of them make sense. The owners manual (85 pages) is a CD-ROM; I prefer paper. This unit has five 100watt amps. It has plenty of power for my room size, which is 12' by 20'. Volume level is 0 - 97, and 60 is usually loud. The sound is clear and strong and musical, with good definition and depth. Yamaha's "natural sound" is a good thing. Yamaha uses quality parts to produce "clean" sound. It has discrete amp configuration, found in higher-end receiver's, for high sound quality. FM radio reception is good. Considered an entry level receiver, but it suits my needs well. The feature list is long. Good value for the money. The unit looks very cool. I think Yamaha has a winner here.
33 comments|160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2014
Although I wouldn't describe myself as an audiophile, I've had a basic 5 speaker home theater setup for some time. To improve the sound, I recently bought a new center channel speaker (Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000) and that helped somewhat, but a relative who installs home theaters urged me to replace my 15 year-old Sony AV receiver if I really wanted to hear a difference. So after some online research I decided on a Yamaha, and chose the RX-V377 because I didn't need the streaming music features, as I mainly watch sports, TV shows, and movies from Netflix and cable. Setup was simple and straightforward. Once I had everything connected and ran the setup process with the microphone that was provided, I was stunned by the difference in sound. I thought my speakers needed upgrading, but they now they sound much, much better. Formerly muddy dialogue is now crystal clear with the Drama setting, sound effects are subtle but realistic, and when I watch sports I feel like I'm part of the crowd at the game (aided by the receiver's Sports setting). While there are far more features that I will ever use (or even understand), and I'm still trying to figure out how to turn off my TV with the receiver's remote (pretty trivial in the scheme of things), this was a modest financial investment with a big payoff in listening pleasure. I'm now tempted to get a subwoofer to enhance the sound even more.
11 comment|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2015
awesome receiver! i got this to replace a little amp that i had that then replaced a newer better amp that came faulty and i gotta say i am really impressed with this thing. im currently using it with a pair of Cerwin Vega SL-5Ms and a Dayton Audio Sub 1200 12in 120w sub and lets just say i can really blow my windows out. theres a ton of features in this box of loud. i currently have it hooked up to my computer through the optical connection on AV1 and mainly use it for music and gaming (both sound amazing btw) that and use the FM Radio every once in awhile. its got a setting for setting the crossover limit on your upper speakers. levels for all of the individual speakers. and if you have a sub that over powers your other speakers at lower volumes you can adjust it to better level itself as you turn up the volume. and a ton of other things i havent messed with. it came with a AM and FM radio cables (id suggest getting better ones) and a microphone that you put where the listening place will be and it will automatically adjust your speakers to the best settings. 100w a channel (5 channel) got a handful of HDMI connections and AV connections with some Optical in's and various other inputs and outputs i have been nothing but impressed with it
review image review image
on February 22, 2015
This is a very good receiver, I had an Sony receiver at first, that receiver went out on me and that's the reason why I bought this Yamaha receiver, I then knew my Sony sounded like crap.I still have the same sony surround sound speakers and this yamaha made them speakers sound so much better like a real movie theater, it comes with a mic and you sit the mic were you sit and the receiver sets each speaker, plug the mic in and in 30 seconds the speakers are set.I never heard these speakers sound this good ever! I am a very picky person and if I say this receiver is good, trust me, it's good, you can find better but you gonna pay money
review image
on August 6, 2014
Audio Review

***preliminary assessment***

Pros:

easy setup
good construction
not too heavy
solid performance
crisp and detailed
great clarity
clean sound
DSP modes

Cons:

compatibility issues
ARC is temperamental (HDMI CONTROL switching)

I replaced my old working but defective Harman Kardon with this unit. after much deliberation choosing between Harman Kardon, Pioneer, Denon and Onkyo, I ended up with the unlikely choice of Yamaha. although Yamaha doesn't seem like a popular brand as far as receivers are nowadays, it sounds to be very capableof performing solidly well in terms of audio quality. personally, I would have preferred the Harman Kardon, Pioneer, Denon and Onkyo which are more popular and enjoy a great cult status from audiophiles and all for a good reason. alsonot to mention that they were all cheaper and loaded with features and mostly on sale, for the heck that I didn't understand I went to spend a bit more on the newer 2014 Yamaha RX-V377 starter model.reasons are because of reliability, durability and support. as I have done my homework before finally deciding on the Yamaha, the other starter and midrange models that are loaded seems to have some issues with lemons and for a great deal. it's fantastic results if you end up with a great copy of an HK, Pioneer, Denon and Onkyo but it's also a person's own worst nightmare if you get a lemon.

the Yamaha RX-V377 is basically a budget model although I wouldn't really underestimate it as far as audio capabilities are concerned. it is basically an amazing quality mid-range audio receiver stripped of extra features (which I believe majority wouldn't even use). I consider it a midrange receiver since it lacks the power output needed for a very large home theatre arena or room of 30x30 ft or more which I don't believe most people even have. the receiver is sufficient for medium to large size room of maximum 20x25 ft dimension with a height of 8-9 ft. be wary that the the kind of speaker (size and impedance) , wires (type, gauge, length), speaker placements or soundstaging, and room acoustics can greatly impact the sound quality result.

in an ideal setup, the receiver can pack a punch of that of an amazing home theatre experience. a bad setup even with a great reciever would have a bad result. so make sure that you have your area optimized to it's best. the V377 audio quality is very crisp and detailed. the swoosh of a wind, breath of a person and the tiny tinking sound of a glass, scratching and rubbing sound can be distinctive even a low volume. the audio is also clean without any glitch or annoying white noise. audio quality is best at medium volume and although it is capable of going at max volume, quality then is inconsistent. I would recommend staying at around 85%.

audio conversion from 2 channel signal to multi-channel is great. I always choose NEO 6 for my channel configuration as I find it more pleasing as far as personal preference goes. on the otherhand, the DSP presets available for certain listening setups are also very good and could bring that certain vibe you are looking for a certain movie. I find that the Drama and Sci-Fi setup to be the best in movie sounds in general.

it is not the best receiver in terms of audio quality as far as I can tell. although it is up there among the best value for performance ratio. the audio performance is very strong and excellent in quality and can match or even be better for 1/3 or 1/2 the cost than other medium range receivers. if you don't need the extra features and audio is only what you are after, then the V377 works. phenomenal performance though is reserved to the really high-end and costly system.

for the money, it is all worth it especially reliability and support service is a huge concern. since I don't want problems and time wasted on a faulty system. I heard Yamaha though not perfect are more reliable than other receiver brands. also heard better customer support and the availability of a service center nearby is one plus factor.

*** CONS ***

the only fault I find with this receiver is the ARC audio transmission that is lost/deactivated whenever either the unit or the tv is turned off. the switching needs to be done manually everytime and could be bothersome especially if it is suppose to be automatically transmitting after turning on either device. having said that, it seems that all receivers suffer such sound loss/deactivation via HDMI ARC. probably due to compatibility issues with certain devices, firmware and HDMI port type and HDMI cable. just remember to turn on the receiver's HDMI Control each time you turn on the receiver for use.

***HELP GUIDE*** (HDMI ARC WORKAROUND solution)

to reactivate the HDMI CONTROL ARC, it just needs to be turned OFF, then ON again. it's a 3 step process. just go the HDMI Setup on the AVR remote and turn the HDMI CONTROL From OFF to ON. and you should be good.

I assigned my HDMI Audio on Audio on the remote and pass the audio thru the HDMI output jack from the TV's HDMI input via ARC. my BLU-RAY player is directly connected to the receiver via HDMI (assigned under HDMI 1 on the AVR remote) for bitstream audio decoding on the AVR and video pass-through and my S/PDIF Audio designated under the AVR remote's AV1. basically, I find very little difference between the audio quality of the converted 2 channel audio signal from the HDMI and Toslink connections to the receiver when converting to a multi-channel setup unless the audio signal is transmitting in HD, then the HDMI Audio connection is or should be then put to good use as the difference would be substantial as opposed to using the S/PDIF audio. choice of decoding audio via a Blu-Ray player's own decoded PCM audio or passing bitstream audio to the receiver for decoding and PCM conversion is a matter of choice. though people would say that the PCM conversion is pretty much the same quality, I do beg to differ. the quality is different and up to you which result you would prefer. but then the point of buying a $300 AV receiver with an audio decoder is to use it, right?

*** Overall : Great Product and a Recommended purchase for people on the budget for a high quality AVR midrange performer.
11 comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2014
I haven't purchased a receiver in some time and noticed the V377 was the same price as the V375... so why not, right? Comes with the surround sound via front speakers which was pretty ideal considering that's how I was going to utilize the speakers. It sounds great, easy to set up and seamlessly transitions from input to input. I bought this along with Energy Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black) (Set of Six, Black) and I really can't be happier.

Only thing that was annoying between the speakers and the Receiver is the sub woofer input. On the receiver it only has one slot for an RCA cable, the speakers however have left and right. Just needed to buy a RCA cable splitter ($4) and problem was fixed.
77 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2014
This receiver delivers great cinema sound experience. I hook it up with a htpc so I don't really need the network capabilities from a receiver. 4 HDMI inputs cover all my need, 1 bluray/CD player, 1 console, 1 htpc/roku, 1 for laptop? That should be enough for most of people.

Now, this receiver has a lot of power to drive my pioneer Andrew John (6 ohms) speakers, they go really loud at only 65% of max volume. Sound quality in movies is fantastic, music sounds good too, I find myself enjoy listening to stereo music in the stereo 5.1 mode, it feels more weighted, 'bassier'.

Setup menu is easy to understand and navigate although the interface looks dated and plain. Build quality is decent, doesn't run hot even after a day of non stop radio FM and movies / music.

I initially wanted the higher model, v677 for network capabilities, hdmi 2.0 and more power to drive my speakers but now I know I don't need these features at all because:

-My htpc does networks tasks much better than any receivers out there.
-This v377 has much more power to drive my speakers than I ever need. In fact at 70% volume it us already too loud for me.
- Hdmi 2.0 is still a far future as good 4k TVs wont get cheap any soon.

I paid 127$ for a refurb, and I'm super happy for what I getting from it. Amazon is doing a great job on price + delivery and this Yamaha v377 is superb in every way, you will be very pleased unless you buy it to listen to stereo music and expect audiophile sound.
on September 19, 2014
I got the RX-V377 to replace an old broken Samsung home theater system. I was glade that the receiver arrived days before it was expected, I spent the next day to run all the the wires nice and neat though out my entertainment stand only to find out that when I plugged it in it didn't turn on. (-☆) So I sent it back to Amazon, got the replacement rather quickly, But the same thing happen once everything was hooked up it wouldn't even turn on (-☆) when I got my third receiver the first thing I did was take it out of the box and plugged it in. Finally I got one that works, I have only had it for about a few days now and I already know I'm going to love this receiver. But one thing I have noticed is it seems to run a little hot, so I suggest giving it as much room as possible. Once I put it on a shelf, I ended up taking the shelf down another notch, just to be safe.
on June 12, 2014
Great price, works well with everything we've thrown at it, the 4k compatibility will make this future proof, but more importantly: it sounds great! And what a price (I paid just $250). We used to use an HDMI switch in addition to another Yamaha system to pass video through to our TV (just one HDMI input), and this removes that need and certainly boosts it's value, not to mention you no longer have split your audio feeds from each devices' HDMI port.

The screen on the front is considerably more useful than older models and there are plenty of customization options available. The pass through for 4x HDMI ports allow the receiver to display information on your TV as well, such as a visual volume control.

Overall, a very nice, sturdy and reliable product. Enjoy!
on May 29, 2015
I bought two nice bookshelf speakers to use for TV, movies, and music. So I needed an amp to power them, and it had to have a remote control. Name-brand amps with remotes start at around $130, so for a few dollars more I decided to just get this entire AV receiver.

I think the RX-V377's remote and menu system is pretty intuitive. I didn't read the manual and I was able to figure it all out without much trouble. You don't really need the on-screen menus, everything can all be done from the display on the front panel, although maybe it helps to see the menu structure on-screen first. Anyway, setting up the receiver was a pleasant experience for me.

I appreciate that Yamaha included a 3.5mm audio input on the front of the receiver. I don't know why this isn't standard on every amp and receiver, but it isn't. With this input, you can easily connect a phone, tablet, or laptop to the receiver and listen to it over your stereo. It's not as convenient as Bluetooth, but good luck finding Bluetooth at this price point.

Speaking of Bluetooth, Yamaha had the good judgement to include USB connectors on the front and back of the receiver. This means you can buy a cheap USB-powered Bluetooth audio dongle, plug it into the receiver, power it via the receiver, and BAM, you just Bluetooth-enabled your receiver for under $20 and a minimum amount of fuss. (Note that I haven't done this myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work.)

Since this is a budget receiver, and receivers are usually advertised by their wattage, I was initially somewhat concerned that this Yamaha "only" puts out 100W per channel (really 70W, 2-channels-driven). But, if you read up on power vs. loudness, you'll find out that if you double the power, things only get 23% louder. So really, the higher-wattage receivers that the RX-V377 is competing with won't get louder by any meaningful amount.

So I've been using this receiver for a little over a month and I'm very pleased, with two caveats:

1) I originally had my computer plugged into the receiver via HDMI, and then the receiver plugged into my TV via HDMI. This worked, but the receiver was very picky about which devices were turned on first. Everything had to be turned on in a particular order or it wouldn't pass video from the computer to the TV. This might be something you can get used to, but I gave up and just connected my TV's optical audio output to the receiver and now I don't have any video going through the receiver. This setup works fine.

2) The receiver will occasionally shut off for, like, no reason. It seems like maybe a protective circuit is being tripped to prevent it from shorting or overheating, but it's usually during a pretty quiet scene of a TV show or movie. It has only happened a few times so I'll just wait to see if it gets worse.