5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, good sound!!
I picked this over Onkyo, Pioneer, Harman, Marantz etc..because I personally prefer Yamaha's sound quality,
And this receiver did not let me down.
It delivers great sound to each channel with enough power.

Also, this is very easy to use, and display set up (GUI) is very helpful as well.
You can edit input names, set distances to speakers and so...
Published on December 8, 2011 by aquido

1.0 out of 5 stars HDMI Failure
Purchased this product for my media room, would not display video from my projector and HDMI not recognizing my blu ray players. Tossed the box I bought in by accident, and could not return it. Yamaha customer service took 3 weeks just to get a UPS shipping label. Customer service also implied it was my HDMI cables and wiring. The professional company I hired rechecked...
Published on May 3, 2012 by jonathan muniz

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, good sound!!, December 8, 2011
This review is from: Yamaha RX-V471BL 5.1- Channel AV Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
And this receiver did not let me down.
It delivers great sound to each channel with enough power.

You can edit input names, set distances to speakers and so on...superb!
Menus are straight forward, and remote control is very simple as well.
It could have been better if the buttons on remote were back lit.

HDMI in and out works superbly,
There seems to be a a second of blink when changing HDMI input to/or out of my Mac, but this only happens once at the beginning.
To be honest, it is the first time using HDMI, so I am not too sure if this happens with other receivers as well.

Receiver is much lighter than other receivers I had before,
but filled up with all the options I needed.

Very happy buyer.

(UPDATE 2012.01.02)
Cannot be happier,
It got even better after a month.
Sound tendency is somewhat warm, which I like.

(UPDATE 2014.01.07)
I no longer use this as I had to leave country for a while and sold it to my friend.
My friend has been using it for over a year without any problem, very solid.
After I came back, I bought a new receiver from Pioneer, but Pioneer interface and remote control is no where near to Yamaha class.
I would definitely come back to Yamaha if I can make choice again.

However $269 price tag seems to be little over-priced considering its features and what other brands can offer at similar price range.
Would be a definite bargain if price drops to sub $200.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, September 6, 2011
After returning a Sony unit for humming and a Pioneer for poor video signal transfer from the HDMI out of the amp I purchased the Yamaha. Wow! This unit not only works as described, it also has many features that allow fine tuning your personal settings. Everyone has different tastes in audio and every movie is a little different than the next regarding surround audio. This unit gives you the opportunity to conveniently access the set-up and make changes on the fly via HDMI graphic interface on your TV. You do not need an extra analog cable, as the Pioneer did. The Yamaha uses a graphic-rich menu through the HDMI cable already running to the TV. This means at anytime you press ONE button and you are able to access nearly every setting regarding sound. Another feature that really stood-out was the units mic calibration system that does quite well at detecting level, distance and such but moreover detects reverse-phase problems. If your speakers are out of phase they will sound odd and muffled no matter how well the amp is working. This feature is especially useful when using 6 surround sound speakers at once. Great power and dead quite. This is a superb effort by Yamaha. Five Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Receiver for the $$, July 15, 2011
Just replaced my HTR-5760 Yamaha with this unit. HDMI setup and auto setup was a breeze, added some banana plugs and THX monster Wiring to my 3 Speaker setup from Athena Technologies. Only feature I miss was the direct bass crossover control rather than just a Large or Small speaker selection. Remote doesnt glow in the dark either, which isnt a huge deal 99% of the time, but was a surprising change from the HTR series remotes. Sound is super and would recommend this to anyone who doesn't have the need or budget for a 7.2 or 7.1 Receiver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Make the manual your friend., January 2, 2012
The receiver is excellent. Mine is connected to Infinity 5.1 speakers that are around five years old. My previous receiver was a Sony STR-DE575 (ca. 2003). The sound output by the Yamaha is much improved over the Sony.

Everything sounds really good, but the most noticeable improvement is with music CDs. There are a few "sound programs" built in, such as "Sci-Fi" or "Drama" for various types of movies. I don't find those too interesting and don't use them; but there is a "Compressed Music Enhancer" setting which greatly improves the sound of stereo CDs through the 5.1 speakers.

As others have commented, the speaker setup is simple with the supplied microphone. Connecting the other components is not completely intuitive, and not always well-explained by the owner's manual. The manual is supplied on a CD; all you get on paper is the quick setup guide. You need the full manual, so if you don't have a computer that could be a problem. Also, the manual is a little vague in some important places, which is my only criticism. (Hint: Find out whether your TV HDMI input is ARC-compatible (Audio Return Channel) before you get started. Mine isn't, which is okay, but it does make a difference with the way things need to be connected.)

I've had mine over a month, and finally feel like I know enough about it to write this review. The sound is fantastic and the operation is easy (once you figure it out). I'm happy with it and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great warehouse deal if you don't need a network connected receiver, October 9, 2012
If you're looking at this review today you're probably considering buying this receiver because its a 5.1 receiver from a reputable company at a discount price. Sure, its no longer the newest model and its lacking a few of the newest features, but if you're looking for a bargain and there are units still available you've absolutely found one.

This is a quality receiver to build your system around. It has no problem driving my speakers (klipsch quintet) and the system as a whole sounds great. The receiver has all of the functionality that I need with options to expand a little later if I want to (iPod dock, bluetooth connectivity, etc.).

It does a great job of processing several different 5.1 formats and is certainly somewhat future proofed in that regard. It also has some interesting features for listening to different types of content. For instance there are sic-fi, sports, and gaming modes that process sound a little differently to match what you're watching. There are also some interesting theater modes that make your music sound like its being played in different venues. I didn't think I would use any of these features initially, but they have been fun to play with.

Connectivity wise this receiver is quite future proof. It has several HD options including several HDMI ports and several component video inputs. It also has all of the RGB and optical audio ports that you'll need to hook up older components. All this can be found in the description but I think its important to point out that HDMI is a cable that is occasionally upgraded, but the ports that HDMI cables plug into remain the same. This suggests that HDMI will not be replaced for quite some time and should remain a widely used HD format. When that is coupled with 3D pass through you end up with a receiver that should be able to accept most if not all video formats from most if not all electronics for at least the next 5+ years.

The few features that you will miss out on are network connectivity features. Things like being able to stream your music through the system over your wi-fi or connect to netflix directly. In my view though there are enough other products on the market (apple TV, Roku, Blurays with wifi connectivity, etc) that you will have no trouble being connected to your system if you want to and from the products I've looked at the interfaces of those stand alone devices are usually superior to what you get out of receivers anyway.

If you're looking for deals and are still reading you've probably also found this model without the setup microphone. If you're debating between those two models I would take a good look at the room you'll be using the room in. If its fairly square and you'll be putting the TV on the center of a wall you may not need the setup microphone. If you've got a great ear and have set up home theaters before you may not need to spend the extra money on it, but if you have an oddly shaped room (my room opens into the kitchen and we sit diagonal from the TV in a corner) or if you aren't confident in your ear I'd splurge just a bit and get the setup microphone. It makes calibrating your home theater incredibly easy and turns what could be hours of second-guessing (if you're something of a perfectionist) into an easy 3 minute calibration.

Conclusions:
You're getting a future proof feature full receiver from a well respected manufacturer
Its got plenty of connection options and plenty of power
The features it lacks can be obtained through your other components

I would strongly recommend this receiver to anyone looking for a bargain

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, April 14, 2012
I compared it with Sony. The main thing which made me choose the Yamaha was its pass-through feature which means that the TV keeps working even when this receiver is in sleep mode. It consumes negligible (less than 2 watts) in pass-through sleep mode. Its display is much better than the equivalent Sony. And the best one is that you can change the input from Yamaha's remote during sleep mode. Simply superb :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to listen to., March 24, 2012
I've had the surround receiver for a week now and everything works fine. Knowing beforehand that it comes with a manual only on CD-ROM, I downloaded and printed it on my lazer printer, then took it to my local office supply store to be bound. When the receiver arrived I already had the manual ready. If I owned a laptop computer, the printing would not have been necessary to be able to read and do setup in the same room.
Connecting the TV, analog satellite box and component out DVD player required some reading and thinking things out. It really wasn't complicated though and once connected everything works. The previously mentioned components connect audio and video into the receiver correspondingly. TV-HDMI for video and optical for sound, satellite box - analog (RCA)cables (one yellow for video/red and white for audio, DVD - video component (3 RCA-blue, green, red), audio (2 RCA red and white). My TV doesn't support ARC (audio return channel) back to the receiver, so I needed to connect an optical cable back to the receiver. I also connected to the receivers monitor out (shaded on the back of the receiver) with a component cable and one yellow cable. This allowed the video signals from the receiver to go to the television. The receiver is not capable of converting an analog or component video signal and sending it to the TV via HDMI cable. I suggest buying enough cables to make all these connections along with the purchase of the receiver. The cables are much less expensive on amazon.com or other discount internet sites than in local stores.
This receiver has all banana plug jacks on the back. Speaker connections are a breeze when the wires are fitted with banana plugs. I hooked up my Yamaha NS-555 tower speakers for the front left and right main. Bass is strong and controlled, middle and high frequencies are smooth and non-fatiguing. For surround speakers I connected a pair of Pioneer SP-FS51-LR floor-standing speakers. I bought them at a ridiculously low price from the online retailer whose name has something to do with a common breakfast food. The Pioneer speakers have a pleasing sound with low enough bass and sweet highs, although the mids are weak. With the Yamaha receiver, this weakness is easily corrected with its' 7-band equalizer AFTER running the automatic YPAO sound calibration. Not all surround receivers allow manual equalizer settings. The Yamaha does, and even allows setting each speaker independently.
Those are the main comments I wish to make without this review turning into a book. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the Yamaha RX-V471 and think they correctly named it "Natural Sound."

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything I wanted for a reasonable cost. UPDATED, February 6, 2012
This 5.1 surround receiver is a big upgrade for me. My previous receiver was an old Sony 120 watt STR-D1015, which has Dolby ProLogic surround sound. ...so this is my standard for comparison.

The Yamaha is considerably lighter and doesn't match the raw power of the Sony, but the V471 has no problem filling a room with sound, and the sound is obviously better quality. It cleanly and accurately reproduces the entire audio spectrum, soft and loud. But the best surprise is the discrete 5.1 channel surround. It's like a whole new experience compared to Dolby ProLogic surround.

The digital TosLink input is a must have for some TVs if you're using an antenna, because the only audio out from my Panasonic plasma TV is one optical digital output.

The USB input is a great feature. Just plug in your iphone or flash drive, and you can play hours or days of music all controlled from the Yamaha remote using the on-screen display or the LED display on the receiver. But this also brings me to some complaints. Listening to mp3's on my iphone (converted from CDs by me using itunes at "best" quality) produces some unpleasant digital artifacts. In the form of high frequency clicks or ticks that are quite obvious at medium to high volume during softer passages. I can't say for sure what's causing this. Could be my files or player, but it sounds like a poor quality DAC. However, this is not a deal breaker. I still enjoy listening to my Playlists. But critical listening requires a better quality source.

[update: The digital artifacts refered to above resulted from the iphone/cable and not the reciever. After putting the same mp3 files on a thumb drive, the Yamaha DAC performed flawlessly.]

One other little complaint ...the V471 doesn't support 4 ohm speakers. Settings are 8 & 6 ohm only. I have a nice pair of Event 20/20 reference monitors that are 4 ohm, and I can't use them. I did notice on Yamaha's web site (FAQs) that other receivers can support 4 ohm Left and Right Mains only, at the 6 ohm setting, but it does NOT say this regarding the V471. I emailed Yamaha support asking if maybe the V471 would also support 4 ohm Left and Right Mains only, at the 6 ohm setting like some of their other receivers, but they didn't seem to understand the question and just reiterated the obvious; "the settings are for 6 & 8 ohms".

All things considered, I'm happy I bought it. I forget all about these issues listening to the 5.1 surround sound coming from a good blu-ray movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha 471 Receiver, August 27, 2011
I owned the 367 model receiver and loved it. I wanted to stick wth a Yamaha receiver when I upgraded to HDMI full 1080p connections. I really liked the on-screen set-up programming. This receiver works great and makes switching between sources so easy. I highly recommend any of the Yamaha surround sound receivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once the owners manual is figured out....., May 18, 2011
R.Tado "Rick" (Boston, Ma. United States) - See all my reviews
I found the owner manual very hard to understand maybe it was just me, a nice touch that it is on cd-rom. The manual was figured out after a while of rereading. Surround sound listening to a movie was pleasing as was playing a cd. The set up of this receiver was not hard. I was not disappointed at all. Love the receivers pass through for the TV. Also like 5.1 sounds you can get out of this receiver.. I am a fan of Yamaha equipment as I always have had Yamaha receivers. For me this does what I want in a receiver. I am very happy with this purchase.

Rate and Discover Movies