5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled by the quality and feature set
Published 15 months ago by William S. Dubel

Published 3 months ago by Drew

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled by the quality and feature set, September 17, 2013
This review is from: Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Channel Network AV Receiver with Airplay (Electronics)
I purchased and still own a Yamaha RX-765 from four years ago. I decided to add a second entertainment system focusing on music and "downgraded" to the 6xx series RX-V675 introduced in 2013. The downgrade meant that pre-amp outputs are gone, the front face is plastic instead of metal, and slightly less watts per channel. I didn't really need those upgrades, and the RX-V675 was on sale at a local retailer.

I'm so blown away by all the features added in the last four years, I felt compelled to write this review. First as reference, the speakers I connected in a 5.1 setup:
Polk Audio TSx550t (floor standing fronts)
Polk Audio TSx250c (center channel)
Polk Audio 80F/X-LS (in ceiling surrounds)
SVS PB-1000 (subwoofer)

The floor standing fronts have two 5.25" midrange and two 8" woofers (in addition to a tweeter). I was concerned the 95 watt per channel RMS would not be enough to drive these to uncomfortable volumes. This is not an issue. The RX-V675 has no hesitation in driving these clearly at levels needed for a house party. On a related note, the RX-V675 supports true bi-amp (sacrificing Zone 2), however, it won't deliver significantly more power with most speakers as typically the top posts will drive only the tweeter (which takes relatively little power), while the bottom posts will drive ALL of the remaining drivers. So, it might help for signal integrity for the tweeters, but not much for total power delivered. Contrary to what is regurgitated on the Internet, it does seem as though the Yamaha is configuring discrete amps in the bi-amp mode. You are of course still limited by the total power capacity of the receiver, but if you happen to have speakers that internally distribute the separate posts across the midrange/woofers, it should allow you to deliver additional power to the fronts where you need it most at reference levels.

The auto configuration tool, YPAO, did a great job of calibrating the speakers. I did it manually by ear first, then let YPAO do it to see how close it set the levels. It matched my preferences exactly except for setting the subwoofer down -1.0 db (I just set it back!). YPAO did set all my speakers to large, but I chose to set them to small and cutoff at 60Hz to offload that to the subwoofer.

Sound quality, as you would expect from Yamaha, is at least as good as my untrained ears can discern. I'm confident that only the most discriminating of audio elites could find fault in the reproduction of music or sound tracks. That hasn't changed in the last four years.

Now, what has changed in four years? A lot has been added, and here are the new features that I appreciate most:
1. Built in networking (ethernet). Supports network formats and firmware updates over the Internet.
2. Pandora, AirPlay, and network radio blew me away. Quality is insanely good, and the interface showing album art is a nice touch. Also, there doesn't seem to be any commercials on Pandora!
3. Android App to control the receiver - even the album art shows up on my Android phone.
4. Front HDMI (with MHL support) and USB inputs. Charges your phone while connected.
5. 6 total HDMI inputs, versus 4 on the 2009 model.
6. Audio Return Channel (ARC). Gets rid of the return optical cable back from your smart TV.
7. 3D support on HDMI.
8. 4K support and upscaling. No, I won't be able to test that any time soon.

For much less than the cost of the RX-V765 from four years ago, you get so much more. I know that's how technology progresses, but it's amazing just how much has been added. And the features are all well implemented. Nothing feels rushed. It looks and feels solid. No bells and whistles added for the sake of marketing features; everything is well thought out and functional. No ridiculous LED lit volume knobs or other gimmicks.

Here is my short list of complaints (nothing is perfect though this receiver comes close!):
1. You can no longer configure the receiver without an HDMI monitor/TV connected. Most of the advanced settings and setup require the on screen GUI.
2. The remote is basically the same from four years ago. It doesn't glow in the dark, and it's really just a matrix of keys. You won't use it anyway after the initial setup. Get a Logitech Harmony or use your Android phone.
3. The Zone 2 connections are not banana posts like the rest. A strange place to cut $5 of cost.

Minor complaints really. If you need a receiver now, this is the one to buy. If don't need it now, wait for a sale, and then buy this receiver!

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Receiver!, May 13, 2013
What's great about it: Dialogue Control!!! Easy Accurate Automatic Setup!
What's not so great: Nothing

Let me make one thing perfectly clear - The only reason I gave this receiver 5 stars is because they would not let me give it 10 Stars. There seems to be a lack of reviews of this receiver since this is a new unit. I had looked at all major competitors and I can say with confidence that they could easily have charged 4x more for this unit.

Have you ever watched a movie like Star Wars with great special effects or a music video with heavy instrumentation and tried to hear and understand what the vocalist was saying or exactly what the whisper quiet voices were saying to each other without stressing yourself to read their lips because you could not hear them! PROBLEM SOLVED! YAMAHA'S DIALOGUE CONTROL insures you will understand everything that is said onscreen!!! Imagine sitting in your seat with your ultra-responsive remote control - your listening to Jedi Knights played Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor conversing and they talk so low in comparison to effects you can not understand them - what do you do? If you have the Yamaha RX-V675BL you simply press the option button on the ultra-responsive remote control and boost the center channel mid-range DIALOGUE to any of (3) different levels! All of a sudden voices are crystal clear - vocalists are understandable! When was the last time you had that much control over your receiver so fast and easy!

This is only the tip of iceberg! Simple accurate easy setup! Great GUI - more importantly you can control most functions from the remote control combined with the informative front display of the unit - so you do not have to constantly shift to onscreen GUI! FAST & Easy to use. No one else in the industry can offer the quality, simplicity and ease of use with awesome rear panel connectivity like Yamaha! Great sound and ease of use and flexibility with full rear panel digital & analog connectivity, for an incredible price.
The only cons, if there are any, is that WI-FI adapter is extra - I believe it is about $80. You can easily by a Network LAN Ethernet 25 foot cord for cheap - plug it into the rear panel and modem - problem solved!

My recommendation - buy with confidence - you will not get more receiver for the money anywhere!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Receiver and Great Sound, July 10, 2013
I purchased the Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Channel Network 3D AV Receiver and I am coming from an Onkyo SR 602 receiver that I had many years. My Zone 2 went out and I also recently purchased a Samsung LED TV and OPPO Blu-ray player. Since these use HDMI connections I went for this Yamaha unit and all its reviews. Sound is crisp and clear. Picture quality is very good. There is some lag in the sound between picture and voice so it is nice having the "lip sync" feature to adjust the sound however I find that I have to do this many times depending if it is the cable box, Blu-ray player or Netflix. The feature is great but because of the HDMI technology you will find yourself adjusting this lip sync.

I have not tried the Air Play feature but have tried several other ones that seem to work fine. The interface is simple to use. I did have two issues. One, Contacting Yamaha for some help with the Zone 2 feature. I could not get it to work. I did all the FAQ's and called them. After a 24 minute hold time I hung up. Then I did email them. The response time is 24-48 hours and most of the time my requests were not really read, but replied to with the FAQ's that I already knew about. After a couple weeks of trial and error I was able to get the Zone 2 to work on my own. With my Onkyo I was able to control Zone 2 separately without a system change and easy to turn on or off. Second, With the Yamaha, you have to set the Bi-Amp feature every time for Zone 2. When I asked Yamaha how to do it without the Bi-Amp setting, they stated it cannot be done and that I have to change the Bi-Amp setting every time I want to use the Zone 2 feature. I am going to live with this since I really use the Zone 2 with an analog CD player for my patio. The USB feature in Zone 2 is nice however still trying to figure out how to use it in Zone 2 without going through several screens to control it.

Overall I really like the sound and performance although the sound is not much better than my Onkyo. My speakers are JBLs and I use the best components and cables. The reason for the 4 stars was the minimal service I received and the hassle with the Zone 2 each time I want to use it (changing to Bi-Amp). As I explore more I will update the my review.

UPDATE 7/24/2013
Now that I've had time to use the receiver, I have no complaints about the sound, in fact the sound is pretty awesome. The picture is crystal clear using Blu-ray. Regarding the Zone 2 comments, I was able to use the USB feature which is nice and uses an easy controller interface from your TV screen to select songs.

The Zone 2 still bugs me to change to the Bi Amp every time I need to use it. The other day I tried to play the Zone 2 and no sound. It had been a while since I last used it. Took me a couple minutes as I had forgotten to change settings. After a system set up and configuration to the Bi Amp, Zone 2 worked.

Watched 3 movies in a row on Netflix the other day and had to adjust the lip-sync feature on each movie. It's more of an inconvenience because the menu has to come up on the TV screen while you are watching the movie to make the adjustments so the sound matches the actors lips. This can take a few attempts to get it right but its there to use. That's better than not having the feature. Last thing left for me use on the receiver is the Air Play or Network feature. Once I have some experience with this, I will post another update.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Receiver - Some Suggestions, September 22, 2013
Not just because of the reviews on Amazon, but also from other sources, I knew this was an excellent receiver, the primary differentiating factor was finding the one that worked for us.

Below is why I purchased this receiver, as opposed to many other also excellent receivers, since everything else either did not matter to us or was something that every other receiver came with:

* Internet capability; Sony has built in WiFi, but the average rating for its receivers is lower, sometimes under 4, making its purchase questionable
* Airplay, allowing iTunes streaming, and its internet sources
* HDMI pass-through (the ability to use the TV with the receiver off, not the same as 4K or 3D pass-through)
* An excellent, easy to use menuing system

Suggestion:

* Do not purchase Yamaha's network adapter! The reviews of it indicate it is terrible. Instead, purchase the NETGEAR Universal N300 Wi-Fi to Ethernet Adapter (WNCE2001). It has WPS, and took about 1 minutes to set up with our router, a ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router (RT-N56U).
* Speakers are the most important part of an audio setup, and we purchased an excellent pair, Definitive Technology Mythos STS 120v Supertower Speaker (Single, Black).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great receiver, packed with features, March 30, 2014
I wanted to get a new receiver with the purchase of a new TV. My old receiver, a Denon AVR-3805, did not have any HDMI input/output ports and the center channel would produce a static sound from time to time. I also wanted to eliminate some of the cable mess behind my entertainment stand with all the bulky component cables/optical cables for just a single HDMI cable.

Your not going to see any difference in quality going from component to HDMI, same with audio. HDMI only introduces/supports later audio encoding like all the HD audio codecs, and 3D or 4K for video. Don't buy a new receiver thinking that because your switching to HDMI everything is going to be oh so awesomer :)

The first thing I noticed about the receiver out of the box, compared to my older Denon was wow - it's allot lighter than I thought it'd be. It should be I guess, considering it's not quite as powerful as my previous Denon. It took me a long time to clean up all the old wires and pull the old receiver out. I highly recommend when you first hook this receiver up with all the other wires/devices that you do so loosely. Meaning have all the wires just on the floor, going to each speaker and device to test that it all works before running them under floorboards or behind your entertainment center, etc.

Speaker setup with the YPAO mic made things very easy, the GUI interface for the speaker setup covers everything I need it too. I made some manual adjustments of the DB levels for the center channel and surround speakers but nothing significant. The receiver hooks up to the network easily, and can stream all of my music from my PC. I can also use air play on my iPhone to stream music through the receiver, even from a YouTube app.

This receiver is driving 2 Polk LSi 15 floor standing speakers, a Polk LSiC, 2 Polk LSi/FX surround speakers, Bose subwoofer, and 2 smaller satellite Tivoli speakers giving me the 7.1 surround sound. Some would suggest that this receiver doesn't have enough power to drive everything I have hooked up to it, but for me it works. The one thing I had to do was hold the power button when I first turned on the receiver to change the OHM down to 6, which is what Yamaha recommends you do for 4 ohm speakers. I turn the volume on the receiver up to 30DB, and it's clear/loud at that point and I can turn it up much louder. The thing with this receiver, is there are no pre-outs for an additional amplifier to drive your speakers....so if you really think you need an amplifier step up and get the RX-V775. For me, it's overkill and unnecessary.

I have really enjoyed re-watching a few films that I have that have in 7.1 audio, and just overall the movie audio just has more detail to it. I can't say that I'm blown away by the audio, which i just thinks speaks volumes to how good my previous Denon amp really was. When I play music from my PC, I turn on the direct to hear it out of the front 2 channels and it sounds beautiful. I don't typically mess around with any of the pro logic sound effects, so I can't comment to those as I think it ruins the audio of movie/music as it was meant to be heard.

The other nice thing about this receiver, is that I can bring up the on screen menu at anytime and modify any setting. I assume that's pretty standard with HDMI receivers, but it's new to me and I love it!

I can't really think of any cons with this receiver, and i would recommend this receiver.

1.0 out of 5 stars KNOWN ISSUE: Faulty Network card. I'ts not your router or Network its the Yamaha!, September 20, 2014
I am a network administrator and I've seen these types of problems before. I did some packet captures on this unit while streaming and it is 100% the network card on this unit. You can actually see both link lights go dead on the switch when this thing drops the connection. There are other reviews about this problem as well. I don't think I am going to get another one of these because I am afraid of the Network card, what a shame this could have been a really nice receiver because everything else worked great. The possibility of this happening is very high if they haven't changed the network card on this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jury still out, January 4, 2014
Got this receiver for Christmas and love everything about it...except for one little issue. Among the things I love is the ease of setup. The onscreen GUI is excellent and I had no problems setting up and connecting my 5.1 speakers, zone 2 speakers (outside on deck), cable box, blue-ray player, and network connection. Network connection was especially impressive as it had no problem finding all my music stored on me home Windows PC and streaming it beautifully. I rip all my CDs in .wav format and the receiver's Burr-Brown DAC does a terrific job. My music sounds just as good as it does playing the CDs through a high-end Marantz CD player, and it SO much more convenient not having to fuss with shuffling hundreds of CDs. I don't buy compressed MP3s or iTunes songs so don't know how they would sound, but can bet they'd sound far better than they do using a PC, phone, or iPod to decode them.

The YPAO speaker calibration also worked well. I did increase my sub-woofer level slightly over that selected by the receiver, but otherwise I didn't need to make any changes. Very easy process and impressive results!

I installed the Yamaha app on my iPad and now can easily control the volume and song selection of my zone 2 speakers while sitting out on my deck! In the past to change the volume I would have to go down to the media room and adjust it directly on the receiver and to change song selection or play list I would have to do that on my PC. Now I can do both without leaving the deck! Very easy to use and I love it!

The only problem I've had thus far involves interaction between the receiver and my cable box. As I am changing channels on the cable box, the receiver and cable box will occasionally lose track of each other, resulting in nothing but snow on my TV screen and no sound whatsoever. Shutting down the components and rebooting solves the problem, but that's annoying and is not something I want to live with. I called tech support at Yamaha and they suggested swapping out the cable box to see if that fixed the problem. We have other cable boxes in the house, so that was relatively easy, although The problem was exactly the same. They also suggested I try a new HDMI cord to see if that would help. I went out and bought a new Monster cable HDMI cord to connect the cable box and receiver but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem either. Since I've now eliminated the cable box and HDMI cord as the problem I am going to return the receiver and swap it out the same model to see if that fixes it. I will post the results here once I have had time to thoroughly test the new receiver.

UPDATE: Returned the original receiver and the new one had the exact same problem with losing connection with the cable box/DVR. So we returned it and got an Onkyo TX-NR727. After several days with the Onkyo we've had no problems whatsoever, so it must have been something specific to the Yamaha. I will say the Yamaha is much more user friendly in terms of setup and making adjustments. The Yamaha GUI is really well thought out and easy to use whereas the Onkyo's appears to have been designed by an engineer for engineers rather than consumers. Sound quality of the Yamaha is also every bit as good as the Onkyo, both are terrific with music and movies. I would actually prefer the Yamaha, even though it is quite a bit less expensive, if it wasn't for the annoying problem with interacting with our cable box. I don't see others reporting similar issues so maybe it's something specific to the Yamaha and the Scientific Atlanta boxes used by our cable company. That's why I still give it 4 stars. It really is a terrific receiver and I wish I could have kept it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Receiver for Heavy 2-Zone Use, September 8, 2014
I bought this as a long overdue upgrade from an N600. I was really interested in the mobile app, but many of the other features have been unexpectedly fantastic. The on-screen GUI is GREAT, and I've really enjoyed using Pandora. The sound is fantastic and there are lots of well-integrated ports. I only have two (fairly minor) dings: First, it seems that you have to have zone 1 on to use some of the functionality of the system (e.g., netradio bookmarks, change pandora stations) on zone 2. Second, the receiver is a little strange about detecting AV inputs: I might have an input device and the receiver on and set to that input with no audio. But if I turn off the receiver and turn it back on, it will then detect the input properly and choose it. Odd. But overall, a great purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha Access Error, September 28, 2013
I have had Yamaha AV receivers for 20+ years and only replace them to keep up with technology. I purchased the re-branded RX-V675 at Costco to coincide with a new TV purchase. Fortunately, my router is directly behind my entertainment center cabinet, so I had the Yamaha hard-wired thru a hole in the wall. While listening to my Pandora One account the next several days, I began having intermittent "Access Error" halts on the RX-V675. The period between halts varied from 3 to 9 hours. I tried swapping out my router and cable and this did not help. The only way to reset the receiver with this error was to power off/on.

Below is the 1st email response from John at Yamaha:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Yamaha A/V receiver. Based on the information provided we would suggest doing a soft reset on the receiver by unplugging the AC power cord, wait a few minutes, reconnect, and then test again. If the connection issue continues we would suggest exchanging the unit with the dealer."

I exchanged the unit the next day at Costco for an identical model. After connecting everything, I plugged it in. The front LED Screen said "Main" for two seconds, and then the unit shut off. I tried to power on again and it was dead. I think it is fair to say the Yamaha factory does not plug them in to see if they work after they make it. Shameful.

Below is the 2nd email response from John at Yamaha:

"Based on the information provided it sounds like a unique issue just related to the specific unit(s) that you had. In general, the TSR-6750/RX-V675 has been a very good and reliable model. I would suggest trying another."

I returned the RX-V675 and gave up with this model because I had two in a row that were defective.

Next, I purchased the Yamaha Advantage RX-A730. My logic was - this model is in the top Yamaha audiophile line and costs more money, so it must have better quality parts.

Unbelievably, I began having the same "Access Error" problem with my RX-A730 while streaming Pandora as I did with the RX-V675. One late evening while deciding what to do, I did a test. While Pandora was streaming on the RX-A730, I also setup my Blu-ray and my PC to stream Pandora as well. All 3 were hardwired to the same router and high-speed cable modem. You guessed it, I woke in the morning with the familiar Yamaha "Access Error", while the other two devices were still happily streaming.

Below is the 3rd email response from John at Yamaha:

"Truthfully, we haven't had any reported issues with Pandora streaming services. As you can imagine we do have many customers that use this service. We do get calls here and there - however, they typically are password or networking issues. If you want, as a test, we can try your account on a receiver here. I use Pandora on a few receivers here - with my own personal account - and haven't had any issues."

Enough is enough! After being a happy Yamaha customer for 20+ years, I decided to look elsewhere for my next AV Receiver and felt like I was cheating on my wife. However, I am happy to say now that I have found someone new and her name is "Denon AVR-X2000," and she works perfectly.

Google "Yamaha access error" and you will find hits dating back to 2011. Plus, there is also a similar post for the $1,100 Yamaha RX-A1020 on Amazon.

Goodby Yamaha.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unit, great price, September 19, 2013
Bought this online at Amazon after getting a quote to have a home theatre system installed in my house, Amazon had it for $100 less than the installer quoted and he let me order it and he installed it. Great system, using both zones, second is for porch speakers. Love the online apps to run it from my iPad and iPhone. Have a 600 watt subwoofer and in ceiling speakers hooked up, and it sounds wonderful. Highly recommend.