5.0 out of 5 stars RX-V765 - was worth the wait.
Published on May 29, 2009 by John O'Donnell

3.0 out of 5 stars It is a good receiver unless it needs repair.
Published on October 14, 2010 by Charles E. Bradshaw

5.0 out of 5 stars RX-V765 - was worth the wait., May 29, 2009
John O'Donnell (Lake Oswego, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha RX-V765BL 665 Watt 7-Channel Home Theater Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I had been looking at several of the Yamaha models through the spring of 2009, as well as its competitor's (Sony, Onkyo, Denon), for an upgrade of my ancient Sony receiver (one of the first Pro-logic receivers). I just installed a set of Definitive Technology Mythos speakers ordered through Amazon.com, including a power-hungry Mythos Three center channel. I wanted this receiver to be the core of my Home Theater as it's primarily use for improving my Sony Blu-ray and TiVo Series3 HD DVR experience.

Sports, such a baseball is vivid with the upscale feature from 1080i to 1080p (although it has not yet improved the performance of my Seattle Mariners). 1080i broadcast shows such as Chuck, both sound and look great.

The optional YDS-11SL iPod dock works well with both a 4th generation Nano and an 80G iPod Classic, including the videos.

What is worth the wait is the clean layout on the back, the heft of the discrete amp, and the Blu-ray friendly support with both the scene button and the Decoders for HD audio formats: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Yes they do make a difference in your home theater experience.

The audio calibration microphone works as advertised. Silent Cinema (headphone mode) is also a nice feature.

What could be improved - You need to keep the manual next to you for the first week to figure out some of the controls such as accessing all of the iPod controls with the dock. I was also sorry to see HD Radio(tm) missing from this "top of the mid-range" Yamaha's. The older RX-V863 has it, but this one doesn't. Also the four scene buttons are not programmable. I wanted to program the TV scene button for my TiVo (HDMI #2), no luck.

In the end, if you are looking for a quality receiver that performs well on both movies and music, and can drive your amp hungry speakers to their potential, look no farther that this RX-V765. It really was worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1065 & 765 Feedback, October 12, 2009
I needed to replace a couple of old receivers so I found a great deal on the RX-V1065 and RX-V765 on Amazon. I ended up getting both of them for aboout what 2 V665's would have cost me a a Big Box store. I first setup my Main Theate Room with the 1065, I thought it was somewhat difficult to get everything the way I wanted it but the automatic speaker setup was slick and the sound is fantastic compared to my old Sony I had previously. The Menu system takes some getting use to but once you do it's not bad to navigate. All in all I was pretty darn happy with my purchase, My JBL's sounded much better then before and although I didn't really notice any difference in video quality, it was as good as before and now I had everything coming thru the same box. Surround sound was a huge step up from my old receiver also, you are almost looking behind you now because you'd swear someone is behind you, where on my old Sony it was more or less a quieter front speaker.

I then went to hook up my 765 in my cave TV room, first thing that I noticed was that is basically identical to the 1065, sure the menu system is not as polished but as far as the functionality that I need it is the same. I have a few year old Bose surround sound in this room with a JBL center chanel speaker and what a HUGE difference this receiver made over my old Onkyo, the Onkyo was really good for music but surround sound was sub par, but it was 10 years old I guess. Granted I'm only hooking up a Xbox 360, blue ray and TV in this room but watching Vikes beat up the the Packers in surround sound with this receiver was great, I haven't figured out which sound field I like best but there are a couple perfect for sports.

One of the coolest things was when I grabbed the TV remote from my Samsung LCD by mistake to turn the volume down and it says RX-V765 un the upper corner and starts to tun down the volume of the receiver from the TV, displaying the volume the whole time it's changing. I guess that Anynet capability on the Samsung TV's with a HDMI reciever gives you a few more bells and whistles. Also really cool is when I turn on the Xbox or turn off the TV the receiver will come on or off accordingly. I haven't setup the remote for additionaly devices yet, but it seems to be easy to use and is exactly the same for th 765 and 1065

One thing I do not like is the Zone 2 ability on the 1065, I almost wish is was more or less a A/B speaker selector, I have a normal 5 speaker surround setup, in addition to that I have 2 speakers in the kitchen, right behind the TV room which are connect to Zone 2 that when I'm listening to music we like to have on so that you have more sound. The problem is that Zone 2 running the same input as the Main Room is off by a few fractions of a second and if you stand right between the 2 rooms, it sounds like the song is a half a second behind in the kitchen, I tried the lipsync thing, which only made it worse, I haven't given up on it yet, but it's not obvious how to fix this.

Bottom Line -
Both the 1065 and the 765 have more inputs than I know what to do with.
Neither have HDMI on the front, I didn't want it anyway, as I think it looks stupid to set all your equipment up and then have a big cable hanging off the front of your system anyway. That's why the put the jacks on the back, right???
May not have quite as many sound fields as some others out there, but I pick the 2 or 3 I like for movies, sports and music anyway and don't care about the rest.
The YPAO is cool and works great to setup the speakers.
The onscreen Menu is better on the 1065 but adequate on the 765.
HI-DEF Radio sounds amazing on both.
Don't think I will ever use the remotes as universal remotes, but they are adequate for running the receivers.
I cannot comment much on the video conversion, as everything I am running is HDMI and looks the same as it die running straight into the TV.
Sound on both of these is fantastic, even at volumes that start to hurt, the sound is clear, the bass is crisp not slow and there is no distortion, my old receivers who make my speakers start to hiss at a much lower volume, and these receivers never do.
Save yourself some money though get the 765, once it's all setup and you don't need to go into the menu anymore, you'll never notice the difference.
I read a lot of reviews and narrowed it down to Onkyo and Yamaha, at last second I pulled the trigger on Yamaha and for what I paid on Amazon for the 2 of them I am thrilled with my purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, November 5, 2009
I bought this model to replace an older Yamaha receiver and was amazed at the difference in sound quality coming from the same set of speakers. Setup is incredibly easy. Yamaha provides a small microphone that you put where you listen from. The amp sends out a series of sounds that the microphone analyzes and sets all settings based on the results. The only disappointment was not getting HD radio at this price level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha V765BL Home Theater Receiver, November 13, 2009
Leroy Nunn (Queen Creek, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
This receiver meets all my expectations. I combined it with a Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1 Suround speakers and the new Samsung UN55B8000 55 Inch 1080P 240 Hz LED HDTV. The receiver's various controls over the inputs and the outputs of the sound system are perfect. Combine the above with its controls of a Blu Ray player and everything comes alive. Concert hall, Baby!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha RX-V765BL 665, October 22, 2009
Bath Wader "bgd" (Terre Haute, IN USA) - See all my reviews
Works beautifully on the whole, particularly with the Orb Mod 2 speakers I installed. Listened to Gustavo Dudamel's first outing with the LA symphony on the 7 channel setting and it was absolutely gorgeous. Only drawback is it assumes my TV will be connected by HDMI but the only HDMI connector on my Panasonic TV is needed for the HD DVR. So the readings, when I was testing the speaker layout and volumes, did not come up on screen - had to play it by ear - and I also cannot use the TV button on the remote to turn on the TV. But it works fine on AUDIO 1, the alternative connection. Overall, very, very pleased. Amazon service and speed of delivery exceeded expectations, so I'm happy to give them a plug.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy Budget!, February 3, 2010
I have been buying stereo products since the 60's, all kinds of amps, pre-amps, components of all types. I have modified and tweeked them. This Yamaha is my 3rd on since '95, and this has been the most complex and simple to use one yet. The HDMI technology is awesome, as well as other features. This unit weighs less than the previous units, I suspect that the output transformers are smaller than in the past, this may effect the RMS capacity?? With the efficiency of the speakers today, at least the ones I am using, it sounds quit sufficient. The best unit on the market today for the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is a good receiver unless it needs repair., October 14, 2010
I installed a home theatre system for a friend recently and my choice of receivers was the Yamaha RXV-765. The receiver was 4 months old when the HDMI board went out. I called to find a repair center and the closest was Atlanta, GA, about 600 miles from my SW Florida home. Return shipping had to be paid along with a deposit of $69.00. A week or two later I was told that Yamaha's warranty only covered items purchased at authorized dealers, not from eBay stores. The charge for repairing the receiver was $300 plus. It is a good receiver unless it breaks down. Not being able to take it into a local repair center is a big disadvantage. So if you do an eBay search and find that Amazon.com has one at the price that you are willing to pay, check to see if the dealer you are buying it from is an authorized dealer. Yamaha's warranty gets no stars from me. I feel if you buy a new receiver from a dealer, it should be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Probably more of their receivers are sold through eBay stores than at "authorized" dealers. Why is Yamaha supplying electronics to stores that are not authorized dealers? I guess it is good for Yamaha because of the large number of receivers that they get out of not having to repair under warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Receiver - Great Value, February 11, 2010
Waited until a reasonably priced receiver came out with all of the bells and whistles. Glad I did. The quality of the sound from this Yamaha blows away the Sony I bought 5 years ago and the Onkyo I had before that. I have a 5.1 setup with Paradigm Speakers and this finally set them free. Turned on LOTR and a Bourne Series and .... wow. Even my son jumped up when the surround sound kicked in... Manual is easy to follow but seems to leave out some of the finer details on configuration. The support group at the Yamaha website helped but turnaround on questions seems to be about 48 hours....

This is a great receiver for this price. When I look at what I would have spent just a few years ago for a V1400 or V2400... I'm a happy guy.

1.0 out of 5 stars yamaha a company with defective issues, August 19, 2012
bought my rx-v765 reciever worked great for about a year than the hdmi board went out of it. Sent it to the nearest authorized dealer in New York, Had to go a couple of days without a reciever and than it showed up worked great until 8 months after the repair. Same thing HDMI board went out. Not sure I would recommend Yamaha to anyone if the parts are defective. I read someone else had these issues after I started experiencing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars great pawn shop purchase!, May 29, 2014
I've been in the market for a good receiver for the past few years. I've been looking in the sub $200 market because I don't have a huge budget, so when I saw this receiver at a pawn shop with the price tag of $189 I nearly jumped on it immediately, paying full price. But I shopped around for a few more hours and came back a little more informed. It didn't have a remote, and was missing a few key components that were needed to set it up, the mic for example. I talked to the guys and got them down to $135 and it is in like new condition.

beyond the price I was able to get it at, this is an amazing peice of equipment and far outstrips my home theater in a box that I had before. The speakers are as follows, 100 watt LX1 vintage fronts(soon to be replaced), 25 watt left over HTiB center (next investment), and insignia ns-b2111 (picked up for $27 at the same pawn store!)

Overall, I don't have an amazing setup, but for my small room, (12'x9') it does an amazing job at powering my speakers in all ranges.

The device its self, while I have not been able to set it up just yet, i'm waiting for the remote to arrive from Yamaha. I cannot give a full review, but from what I can tell, it has more than the average and less than the pro would need. It is a great middle of the road receiver and well worth what I was able to get it for. I've always loved Yamaha receivers and this is the 4th one in my family, they just keep getting better and better. well worth the investment if you are interested in higher quality than entry grade at a reasonable price, get this receiver.

Rate and Discover Movies