5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific value for money and great fun to play
Published on July 14, 2012 by Dolphin

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Item
3 keys were not working.
The Tech said that this iteam was opend before to be fixed.
amazing, this will cost me 50
Published 9 months ago by Harim Vargas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific value for money and great fun to play, July 14, 2012
Dolphin (Stuck inside a cloud) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha PSR Series PSRE333 61-Key Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
This keyboard is one of the best things I've ever bought ! And talk about value for money ... it certainly compares favourably with most other musical instruments, electric guitars and the like. Since it arrived, four months ago, it has been put to daily use by at least two of us and we are not even close to discovering all that it can do. I had looked at (and nearly bought) the Yamaha Piaggero NP31 76-Key Lightweight Compact Portable Keyboard and, if the intended user had been a child learning to play piano, it would have been a great choice. As it is, we are all adults with no previous experience and no expectations of becoming classical pianists, so we thought we might as well get something that would be more "fun" than just a piano. And fun it certainly is!

There are 497 voices - the vast majority are sampled instruments but some are actual sounds, like a clap of thunder, a dog's bark, a door slamming. My only complaint here is that the XG voices (Yamaha specific) are generally much lower in volume than the main instruments. EDIT: I have found a fix for this: if you turn off the "Touch" option, the voices are louder (how much depends on the voice). In any case, the "Touch" feature is only really applicable to the piano voices, so now I leave it off. Note that when you press the "Portable Grand" button, it automatically turns on the "Touch" feature.

The "Play with Style" function is really fun and it means anyone can sit down and mess around with the keyboard while a pre-selected accompaniment plays along. You can speed up or slow down the tempo, have a range of appropriate instruments or just the percussion ones to provide the beat and there are tons of pre-set styles to choose from. It's difficult to describe but really easy to do and it really feels like making music, even if you can't play a scale or name a note. The "Music Database" is a separate function but works generally along the same lines. Again there are hundreds of possibilities.

If you want to get serious learning to play (and this keyboard is really a self-teaching tool), there is a Chord Dictionary which will show you which keys to press to make a chord for each note you define. There are 102 built-in songs (and more you can buy) divided in progressive steps, which are really drills to teach you chords or progressions of notes. Even though the available songs are a bit cheesy and old-fashioned, I found that it's worth exploring the steps anyway as they are often arranged in surprising ways. For example, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" is available in Basic and Advanced versions. The Basic uses single keys, although in combinations requiring both right and left handed play, while the Advanced is really quite intricate and well beyond my current ability; however, the progressive steps are challenging but do-able and some are arranged in a jazzy style that makes the melody totally unrecognizable and a lot less cheesy.

You can record your own playing (up to five "songs" at a time) to the internal memory and even if you don't have the cables and equipment to convert your recordings to MIDI or whatever format a musician would require to manipulate the sound, it is still an excellent feature. Once you have a recording you are happy with, you can set the keyboard to "play" and record the sound using a microphone, the advantage being that you would be recording pure sound without the accidental clicks or noise made by hitting the keys with your nails, or whatever.

There is so much to this instrument that it's impossible to cover everything in a review like this, but I can say that the quality of sound is surprisingly good, it's a well-made, solid but light keyboard, it works right out of the box with the AC adaptor (which was included with mine - you may want to check with the vendor if you need to buy one separately or not) and is proving to be a daily addiction of the best kind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level keyboard, January 2, 2012
I bought this keyboard for my 6 year old who's taking lessons at a Yamaha school. Her teacher recommended a previous model, PSR E232, for it's low price, good sound and touch sensitive keys, but I decided on the PSR E333 which was almost the same price. It's been perfect for her home practice, the sound is great on it's own but you can hook it up to an amplifier or your home sound system and the sound is awesome. My only complaint: It works on AC power or AA batteries and the AC adapter isn't included. The audio cable for hooking up to an amp or sound system isn't included either. All in all, I'm very pleased with this keyboard and definitely would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome !, May 5, 2012
This keyboard is superb for beginners all the way for some intermediates. With 61 touch response keys of fun and its pure unmatched stereo sound , this Yamaha will never disappoint you. Even its Key built in Education Suite paired with an LCD screen to show pressed keys, it is quite fun and you will never stop learning. I love this keyboard so much! It is possibly the best beginners keyboard for me. Always go for a Yamaha !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Keyboard, January 8, 2013
This keyboard was a great "first" keyboard for my daughter. My son has enjoyed it just as equally. Since this was her first keyboard, I have nothing to compare it to, but I will say she has enjoyed it and learned a few new songs. It feels sturdy, not cheap the sound quality is great. It's compact enough to fit in a tight space. It has been a great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my daughter practice!, March 28, 2013
Robert Jankowski (Big Pine Key, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this so my daughter could practice at home after her piano lessons. Price was right for what we needed. Sound is impressive and I like the way the keys respond to the pressure applied. For example, if you press hard, the volume is louder, press gently and the volume is soft just like a real piano! I also like that she can record her practice and listen to it and correct her own mistakes. Well worth the money!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Keyboard!, August 22, 2013
Nice keyboard. Good speakers. The recording feature of this keyboard is very nice.
I'm very happy about it and recommend it. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT !, June 15, 2013
FOR MY NEEDS THIS KEY BOARD WAS THE BEST OF THE BEST. MOST IMPORTANT WAS THE ABILITY TO TRANSPOSE NOTES. I HAVE LIMITED KNOWLEDGE OF MUSIC, BUT THIS FUNCTION ELEVATED MY "TALENT"!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid keyboard., May 26, 2013
Pesach (Bergen County, NJ.) - See all my reviews
This is excellent for beginners or those who are not pianists. The touch sensitivity works very well.
Most non-musicians will have fun with this. I am a pianist and just needed something to hook up to my computer to send things to someone I am teaching. The feeling of Non-weighted action on the keys is entirely different than a real piano, but I think it could still inspire a child to want to learn if he/she has the right teacher.
I have not set up the sustain pedal yet, but I trust it will work well since this is a Yamaha which is the brand I prefer to stick with for musical keyboards.

5.0 out of 5 stars very happy, April 16, 2013
I bought this as a gift for my boyfriend, he absolutely loves it and plays it 24/7. Perfect for anyone that has a heart for music.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's wonderful and practical musical keyboard!, April 4, 2013
This keyboard is designed to be practical and mobile.
As the product has many features and capabilities, you can have a semi-professional keyboard acting as a professional keyboard.
There you will find many ready rhythms, resources and ability to still incredibly extensive musical composition. The musical variations are limited to the musician.
I really recommend this product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›