Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Yamaha TSX-112OR All-in-One Desktop Audio System (Orange) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on March 27, 2012
This is a great system by Yamaha. I already have a Bose Wave radio and a Cambridge Soundworks tabletop. I was on the verge of purchasing another Cambridge Soundwork unit for my place in FL as i prefer it over the Bose. I noticed that too many consumer reviews stated that the system was constantly breaking down which made me look for other systems. The Tivoli with a CD player and IPOD dock was way too expensive and a couple other brands i knew either didnt sound great or had bad reviews. I somehow stumbled onto the Yamaha desktops and mini systems. I had no idea Yamaha was in this market but I was instantly intriqued as all of my home audio is Yamaha and I would never purchase anything else. I ordered the mini system MCR-040. I was under the impress the speakers were attached to the system but that was not the case.Plus it was a little too big for what i needed. But i can tell you the sound was incredible and I would purchase if it fit my needs. I then found the desk tops and decided to go with the TSX-112 as it was the newest product and was compatible with the most recent Ipod Docs. I decided to go with the TSX-112 over the sleeker TSX-130 because i could get it in red and due to the fact it was new and compatible with new ipods. As for the sound of the TSX-112 it is excellent. The larger speakers and subs can fill a large room with plenty of clear sound. I would say the sound is better than the bose and at the least on par with Cambridge soundworks as they are also a basey system. The system looks great in red and really pops out in the room. I do wish it was a little thinner like the TSX-130 but its still relatively small and packs a punch. I am considering buying another one for my home.
55 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 22, 2012
There are lots of desk-shelf top all in one cd/ipod/radio players on the market. Cambridge, Boston Acoustics, Tivoli, and Bose all are players in this popular entertainment category. Having said that, I must tell you the Yamaha TSX-112 desktop audio player is a unit that should be given strong consideration. The unit is well built, and encased in a solid wood frame. The sound is easily on par with the Bose wave system, and unlike the Bose that requires a separate ipod connector to the auxillary port, the Yamaha unit has it built in on top, along with the cd port. At almost 1/2 the price of the Bose unit with the optional ipod dock, the Yamaha TSX is without question a best buy in this category. The speakers provide a deep sound with exceptional bass for a mini unit. The AM and FM reception is about as good as can be expected, and reception quality will of course be contingent on system placement in the house. Poorest reception I found to be in the basement, but I basically use it for music, so it is a non-issue for me. The unit comes in several colors, so I can only say that the traditional black is a sharp looking player. Tivoli, Bose, and BA, can all take you to the $500plus range, so before making that investment, try out the yamaha TSX, and see and hear for yourself, the sound quality that comes out of this unit. The included remote is simple to use, and controls every facet of the unit, including the cd, ipod, and radio. I could not be happier with this new entry into the mini desk top market, and has worked exactly as advertised.
55 comments|33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2012
I have been listening to this desktop system for about three weeks now and I am a bit disappointed in the sound of this unit. The bass is flat and not very rich and the highs are not that great either. I have owned several Yamaha receivers over the years so I thought this item would be a safe bet. I own a Bose Wave CD/Radio with the additional iPod dock for my bedroom and was a little sick of that setup, and wanted a device that I could drop in the iPod and iPhone while in my home office. I thought about the Cambridge Soundworks but my current one has had so many software/operating issues that I would not recommend that unit to anyone.

In fairness to Yamaha I have yet to find a drop-in iPod dock that really produces great sound. The best is the Bose but you have to spend the extra $100.00 for a stand-alone dock and add extra wires to your setup. Extra wires seem to be a Bose trade off which is why I got rid of my Lifestyle System- too many wires! This Yamaha unit does seem to produce better sound when playing CDs however most folks are looking to get away from CDs or they wouldn't have an iPod/iPhone.

The bottom line is this is just an okay unit. I would be really mad if I hadn't gotten it for a great price due to a sale and some accumulated American Express points. This unit is not worth the original asking price in my opinion. Try to get it on sale if you really want it.
55 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2012
My knowledge of music is quite limited. My understanding of the science of sound reproduction and transmission is even more limited. I feel embarrassedly dumb in writing this review. But for me, the Yamaha TSX-112RE produces a gorgeous sound in playing CDs and using the radio function of the Desktop Audio. Better than 1/2 the time I play music, I listen to classical music, and classical music when drawn from the Desktop Audio is awesome. And the red color in a huge master bedroom actually works.
on January 20, 2013
Was undecided on several Yamaha models, so contacted their customer service. Agent wasn't even aware that one I was looking at was FM only, and the other AM/FM. Customer Service Manager for Yamaha took no interest in this.
Regarding the unit itself, sound quality is fair to good. Bass is adjustable, but sounds forced. Ability to pick up FM stations is poor. My old Sony boombox with a metal extendable antenna works better. I even hooked up a Terk 110V antenna to the Yamaha, but no improvement. No battery back-up to remember programmed AM and FM stations. If you manually tune a station, Owner's Manual says that you only get monaural. Why?

Message for Tom - it turns off by itself because it comes programmed that way. You can reprogram very simply to stay on permantently.
on March 5, 2013
First a couple pros: The white color is nice, it is a very soft creamy white perfect for my home. The radio function and sound are fine, and I did not need to use the supplied FM antenna. (I don't listen to AM).
However, I didn't need a radio. My primary purpose for this purchase was to listen to CDs with nice sound quality in my home. The CD function has been an abysmal failure. Regular (purchased) CDs play with a scraping sound through the whole disc. Burned CDs result in the unit completely shutting off in the middle of a song for about 10 seconds and then resuming on its own where it left off. It happened about six times during the course of one burned CD. The burned CDs do not have the scraping sound. Purchased CDs don't cause the unit to power off for 10 seconds. I took all the CDs I was trying to my car stereo, and they all played just fine with no glitches. The sound quality (minus the scraping and the frequent 10 second pauses) from this machine is pretty good. Too bad about the other sound and power problems.
I found the user manual a little vague and lacking detail.
I haven't tried the MP3 function yet. I don't have the MP3 player yet. Given how poor the CD function was, I do not have high hopes for the MP3.
Another con for me is that unit is too large. I was aware of the dimensions when I ordered it. But it did not prepare me for how much space it occupies. I have not found a good spot in my home to situate this big rectangle. I think it would be best for quiet background music in an office, den, basement, etc., where aesthetics are less important.
The stero was poorly was packaged for shipping in a carton that was twice as long as the stereo box, with only a piece of crumpled brown paper to cushion it. It is obvious the contents would have shifted violently from one end of the carton to the other during shipping. Maybe that is why it doesn't work right?
I bought this as less expensive alternative to the over-priced and over-hyped Bose. But it is a $300 disappointment. (Still won't buy a Bose though).
on July 26, 2012
Ordered this product as I thought the BOSE was too expensive. This machine is exactly what I wanted and I like it better than the BOSE. It has the I Pod docking station as well as the USB port, AM/FM and the CD player and a remote all in one. Love it in my kitchen, it doesn't take up a lot of room on my counter, looks great in white and the sound is awesome for a small unit. Don't care for the AM antenna but I don't use it so not an issue. Would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a small, great sounding bookshelf unit for casual music listening around the house, great for the bedroom also as it has the alarm feature.
on May 27, 2013
I am so happy with this stereo system. No hiss on CD play, no automatic turn-off. It sounds every bit as good to me as my mom's Bose Wave, at a fraction of the cost. I specifically wanted one with adjustable bass & treble and this one delivers rich, round, great sound and plenty of volume. I have it in the kitchen and keep it at about 24, but checked it out at 35 and could hear it fine 2 rooms away with no distortion. A huge bonus is that the FM antenna picks up my favorite radio station where my old boombox did not. After all the reviews mentioning bad packaging, I was surprized Amazon still hasn't gotten a clue about how to properly package this item for shipping. I posted feedback on their packaging link, and sure hope this stereo wasn't damaged by sliding and slamming around in the way-too-big box they shipped it in w/o sufficient filler around it. Sheesh!
on August 13, 2012
Received today, funny how it was packed. In the manufacturer's box packed loosely in a lamp box made for Amazon. Luckily the manufacturer's box was intact and appears to be fine.

Now for the review. After returning the MCR 040DG due to bluetooth feedback, I was relieved to hear no feedback with this unit. I don't know if the cabinets are solid wood, or MDF with a nice oak veneer, but they are much better shielded and give a bit of class to its looks. Definitely a better build quality.

This is a very complete system with a decent radio (can't address AM, don't listen to), CD player and iPod interface. This is a great little unit for say a studio or other small space. Sound is a little bassy for my taste, but it is much more full and open sound in my bedroom which is a little larger with vaulted ceilings. More clearer mid ranges and highs than my old Bose.

It takes some getting used to the functions on the remote and the unit itself. Setting the alarm was a real challenge which you can only use the remote for. Setting presets was also a 4 step process more awkward that it should be. It has some or all of the same functionality as the MCR 040DG which was highly rated (alarm, variable sleep times. I also liked the vertical CD player and the unit overall takes up less room than the MCR 040DG which is actually a component microsystem.

Had considered waiting due to rumors of Apple's adopting a smaller dock connector, but there are a couple of bluetooth receivers that will help maintain the functionality of this unit.

So the little TSX 70BU clock radio iPod dock, will stay at my other place instead of getting hauled back and forth, I mentioned in earlier review that it has great sound in a little box.
on January 10, 2013
I got this mainly for an alarm clock with wake up to cd music and to play cd disks in my bedroom/office room. The sound is very nice, and after i figured out how the clock and alarm work - they both work great. You also have a switch on the back that allows you to either turn off or keep illuminated the front lcd clock when the unit itself is turned off. I wanted to see the time when the unit is off and is one of the reasons why I chose this unit as well. the lcd information can be dimmed if wanted as well. This unit also has a light indicator to tell you if the alarm is on or off. This unit also plays the cds that I have made with my cd burner which is important to me as many units do not. I could not be happier with this unit.