5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional
Published on May 3, 2012 by Kate Smart

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of Yamaha TSX-140
I wish the sound quality was better. The features are nice, but the overall sound is not as good as I had hoped/anticipated. As a small-room stereo, it is convenient and nice looking, and I really like the iPhone/iPod dock. However, I would not recommend it to someone whose priority is the quality of the speakers/sound.
Published 17 months ago by Dawn

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, May 3, 2012
To begin, I am a research junkie. I can hardly purchase a stick of gum without referring to Consumer Reports. When my teenage son busted my I-pod dock, I began to search for a desktop stereo system. It took me a month to decide on this particular unit, and it was with real trepidation that I did so. I was going to go with the Yamaha MCR O40, but everything I had read indicated that this was a superior device. Also, I wanted something that I could easily move from room to room; the MCR 040 has unattached speakers which I did not want. I needed something that I could quickly pack up to take to the cottage, or upstairs to my home gym, without having to lug separate speakers, wires, etc.

The most important concern is how music will sound. I could care less what colour it is, whether or not it has an alarm clock, or matches the furniture. It could be hideous looking, but if the sound meets my expectations, that is all that matters to me. Luckily, this system is rather cute to look at - it looks humble.
At home, we have an excellent surround stereo system - Mordaunt Short speakers with a Marantz receiver. I don't know anyone whose stereo sounds as good as ours, and anyone who visits our home always comments on it. We are also musicians, and we seem to hear things that other people don't notice. Suffice it to say, we are picky.

I listen to a lot of acoustic music - Celtic and folk (ie - Joni Mitchell), but when I'm working out, I prefer AC/DC, the Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin. When I'm cooking, I listen to Italian opera, and I have a big collection of jazz. My tastes are wide and I am mentioning this, as music that has alot of air - or space around it - requires a far more sensitive apparatus than if you prefer to listen to top-40 mush on the radio.

This little system is an absolute gem. There are so many things that I appreciate about the design: For starters, you don't have to use the remote if you don't wish to. So, if it gets lost or one of your kids breaks it, no worries. The knobs are sturdy and traditional, and you're not pressing tiny little sensitive buttons that end up breaking. Programming radio stations was a breeze, and I like that my i-pod headphones plug in to the FRONT of the unit, not the back. This is handy, as you don't have reach behind it and risk knocking it over.

Adjusting the bass, mid-range, and treble is completely straight forward, and I appreciate being able to fine-tune according to my preferences. Many systems either don't allow for this, or there is a token equalizer that really doesn't transform the sound in any meaningful way -it either muddies it, or makes it tinny.
This unit also plays cd's - they slide in easily at the top. So you get an I-pod dock, a CD player, and AM/FM radio. What else do you need? I tested the system by listening to an Irish CD of acoustic guitar. The sound was so resonant, and so warm, I just stood staring at this little box, wondering how such clarity and richness could emanate from something so unassuming. Then I popped in my I-pod and listened to some jazz and some Fleetwood Mac. Equally pleased - everything sounded very round and full. A Chopin etude on piano, that is extremely quiet, sounded wonderful; often you hear a hissing sound when there is only one instrument featured. Finally, my son asked to hear a bit of his dreadful rap-crap. He was thrilled with the sound but I can't testify to this, as my ears were plugged. Torture.

Suffice it to say, I am beyond happy - my search is over, and I can recommend this without reservation. Next to my home stereo system, it is without a doubt one of the best sounding pieces of equipment I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Hope this helps - let me know if you have any questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural Sound, Nice Features, July 17, 2011
I was looking for a small stereo system for my bedroom that can also dock an iPod. This Yamaha system hits all the right spot. It is relatively small while producing sound that is much larger than its size might suggest. The sound is so clear and very natural. I listened to this system and Bose Sounddock 10 (which costs significantly more than this) at the store and this Yamaha system won hands down. The Bose, although produced more bass, sounded muddy and unnatural by comparison. Did I mention that this Yamaha also plays CD, FM, and things in your USB drive?

The materials and finishes are done tastefully. The control and remote is straightforward and extremely easy to use. Everything works flawlessly. Although I wish the system can display the song name from the iPod or the file name in the USB drive like some of the Yamaha models can. The remote can control the menu of the iPod, but without means to see what you are doing from the distance, it's a little pointless. This unit appears to gear toward an alarm clock function. Even the radio station display will quickly turn into a clock. There is no "display" button that can change this behavior.

This system is probably work best for bedroom or small rooms. Although the sound is quite open for what it is, it won't fill your large living room because the speakers are close together (as any machine of this kind) and doesn't produce enough bass for that purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound-quality~ love this unit!, February 8, 2011
W. Yeh (Arcadia, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha TSX-140 Desktop Audio System with iPod Dock (Black) (Electronics)
Let me start by saying, I'm a music producer that
enjoys a variety of different genres of music, so
when shopping for a stereo system I need for
the unit to be able to have all genres of music
sounding good.

I tested the unit by bringing my phone (with mp3s)
to the store I bought it from and played a few
songs. I could tell right away this stereo was
REALLY good. If you like way your music sounds on
a Bose, then you'll like the TSX-140. It really
sounds great, whether you're playing pop, easy-
listening and even sounds great when playing dance
music.

In addition to the unit being able to play audio
via AUX, I also wanted a CD player and USB input.
This box does it all!~ So, I was pretty much sold~

I actually paid more than Amazon is selling it for,
but I'd buy it all over again. To me, it's that good.
But don't take my word for it, go have a listen for
yourself~ I think you'll be shocked at the vividness
of the music you've been listening to all this time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for cds/USB--radio not so good, September 14, 2011
vanhubris (Verona Beach, NY) - See all my reviews
Like a previous yamaha I owned from the 90's the sound for cds is pretty impressive.
This one also plays mp3s from cd or USB and the sound is again quite impressive--I would have given this a "5" based on this alone--but the radio is a different matter. Comparable to the one I still have from 20 years ago--the FM is at best adequate-far inferior to a Sangean I own. But AM--as on my older model-remains a joke--easily the two worst radios I've ever owned for AM reception. I had hoped Yamaha had improved their AM reception at least a bit over the years-but not so.
So for the weak FM and horrible AM-I downgrade this unit to a 4 and would have gone lower-but radio was not my priority on this system. My main purpose was cds and USB and for this purpose I'd give an easy 5--though I would have preferred an SD input over USB and have no use for the Ipod dock
This is really good sound from a relatively small stereo system-but I would avoid it and either buy a Sangean or a Bose if radio is a priority. For recorded music though-this system is a little better sounding than the Sangean and about on par with Bose Wave (though on low to mid volumes all 3 seem to have sound about on par-it's at louder volumes that the Yamaha and Bose sound better--but these are levels one rarely needs in normal use)

5.0 out of 5 stars All I'd hoped for, June 29, 2011
Purchased March, 2011, through Amazon. Good AM FM sensitivity, excellent sound. You can use the equalizer to really customize the sound to both the room and the music. My iPhone 4 with Speck cas fits easily and securely with the dock insert removed. The unit feels solid, and the knobs and buttons all work well. I am surprised that after 6 months there have only been two reviews on Amazon. It's been my experience that Yamaha knows how to make good sounding music, both instruments and electronics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, June 19, 2013
Praguehorn "mortimer50" (Edinburg, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Keep in mind that this is a small, all-in-one system. It's designed to be discreet, but it does quite a nice job of filling a small to medium-sized room with sound. It's possible that there are better systems out there without radio or CD capabilities, but my wife wanted more than simply iPod/iPhone capability. If you only want an iPhone system or audio for a large room, you may want to continue to look around. If you want an iPhone system with CD/radio capabilities for a kitchen, bedroom, office, etc., you'll be hard-pressed to do better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha quality in a countertop package, December 26, 2013
Bought this for my Mom for Christmas. We have the Bose wave music player which can play the CD/radio. I got it for hotel points from traveling so didn't have to shell out the bucks. My Mom needed something similar but I just couldn't see spending the money ($500) for the Bose. That just seems way out of line. So I looked around and this unit seemed to provide similar sound plus a lot more input options for over $150 less.

When it arrived I had to "test" it myself and I was very impressed. Some of the reviewers compare this to the Bose and so I will too. I personally think it sounds better. The Bose can be a bit muted and missing some of the high end. And like most Bose kit they do not provide the user with much if any adjustments to the sound. This has bass, mid and treble control plus just the default sounds better in my opinion. The knobs on the front are actually digital encoders not potentiometers. They have a ring of LED lights to indicate their levels. Of course it can be controlled from the external remote also. With CD/radio/iPod/USB/Aux inputs you have basically everything you could want when it comes to sources. The only thing missing is bluetooth which can be had with an external third party adapter if desired.

For older citizens it might be a bit more difficult to figure out than the Bose but it's probably more a factor of the number of sources allowed and configuration vs. the product complexity. One thing that is very nice is that you don't have to use the remote if you don't want to. On our Wave Player you must use the remote, if you lose it there's no controlling the thing.

Pros:
- Sound is excellent
- Number of music sources
- Knobs!
- Bass/Mid/Treble control

Cons:
- Style, this is personal but the Wave does really look better and is a bit more compact
- Antenna, it will not pull in ANY FM signal without the (included) external antenna connected

If Mom wants I would trade her my Wave Player for the Yamaha ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful HI FI radio, January 4, 2012
Jerry W. ODELL (Ypsilanti, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I got this unit used, from Amazon, and it is simply amazing.
I sort of collect these things and the sound is astonishing.
It sounds much, much better than the ___ Wave Machine (either
model).

The CD player is clever and seems to detect when you have put
a new cd in. Same seems to go for the IPOD.

I must admit that I've been using this a great deal more than
my twelve inch hi fi system.

Good job, Yamaha. Let's see: I have a Yamaha keyboard, a Yamaha
real piano, and on and on. All are fine

Jerry O'Dell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, small footprint, April 7, 2013
valmur "V" (Mass and Colo) - See all my reviews
This radio/CD, MP3 player is just what we needed for my husband's workspace in the basement of our second home. In fact the sound is so good we will purchase a second one for our kitchen/dining room area so that I can enjoy my music too! It is simple to operate, my iPod worked right away, no complicated set up (well, I guess that's normal!). My husband listens to the radio a lot. The unit is not yet in the space where he will use it in our other home, so we are not sure about radio reception there, but that would be a problem with location, not with the Yamaha Desktop system, since reception (with antenna set up) is just fine in our workroom in our main home. I would recommend this radio-plus to anyone, and really appreciate the Yamaha sound quality. I have a minor comment - the remote is small, and my husband is likely to put it down and lose it amongst the stuff on his workbench. I am thinking of using velcro to have a specific, clearly visible place to put the remote. This is not a Yamaha problem, but is something to think about when setting up the unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific radio, ipod, CD player, January 28, 2013
Easy to use controls on the radio and on the remote and it looks great on our kitchen counter. Sound is excellent, with much clearer highs than on the Bose, and for $100 less.