5.0 out of 5 stars I Can Hear and UNDERSTAND !
Published 8 months ago by Amazon Shopper in PA

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so fast folks!
Published 4 months ago by TheTechGuy

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can Hear and UNDERSTAND !, March 26, 2014
Amazon Shopper in PA (Murrysville, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YAS-103 Soundbar with Bluetooth (Electronics)
First, I am Hearing Impaired. Understand I can hear sounds at a muted volume, but have GREAT difficulty understanding the words and sounds. I wear hearing aids and they assist me to better hear sounds and promote a significant increase in word recognition. But, I must still "piece together" phonemes {Consonant and Vowel Sounds} to recognize words and gain meaning. The Yahama YAS-103 Soundbar is a Miraculous Instrument that has given me the ability to HEAR. I not only have the sound, but I have word recognition. I am estatic !! The Yahama YAS-103 is very easy to install and the directions are clear and concise. I recommend this device HIGHLY.

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions are very good indeed., March 13, 2014
This review is from: Yamaha YAS-103 Soundbar with Bluetooth (Electronics)
So far I have nothing but good things to say about this sound bar. No major setup is required. Just plug it into the wall, connect a optical cable from your TV and away you go. Has 2 optical inputs, 1 analog and a coaxial.

Make sure you disable or mute the TV internal speakers to avoid any echo effect.

If you have a Tivo remote you will need to reset the codes in your Tivo remote.

Pros:
Easy set-up
Nice quality sound
Very nice finish
Bluetooth setup is quick and painless
Bluetooth control app is cool but not entirely necessary
Analog audio input is nice to have to connect a turntable (VIA PRE-AMP!)

Cons:
Will not work with a Samsung Smart TV remote, they aren't IR remotes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic soundbar, and a major improvement over the YAS-101, March 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I bought an older model of this sound bar, the YAS-101 some months ago on a daily deal, and at first I thought I was satisfied with it. Over time I encountered little problems and annoyances that made me regret my purchase. Fast forward and I am thoroughly shocked at how much better I like the YAS-103! On paper there are a few feature improvements, but it doesn't look like a drastic difference. The usage and sound experience is a drastic difference.

This review will balance an overall review with a comparison to the YAS-101.

I've been a home theater person for many many years. Sometimes I've bought box kits and sometimes I've built systems from a receiver and separate speakers. I bought the YAS-101 sound bar for my bedroom. I had a TV in there and just wasn't happy with the sound. I didn't want to go to the work, cost or clutter of a whole multi speaker home theater system didn't make sense and the sound bar was an attractive option. A few months later, Yamaha offered me this model to try out/review. It was clear by my review of the YAS-101 that I wasn't so pleased with that one.

The YAS-103 sound bar itself is about the width of a 32" TV or a bit more. It comes with legs and it has what appear to be two front facing speakers. There are also built in subwoofers. The device is a shiny piano black and is attractive. Installation is very simple to get it up and working-- Optical Audio or Coax for home theater/surround sound.

The sound from this sound bar is room filling and immersive. On paper this unit should basically be identical to the YAS-101 from the perspective of watts and speaker size/response, but I don't have that experience as a listener. It must be processing, circuitry... I don't know. Maybe my YAS-101 was a dud or had a problem. This one sounds better, louder, cleaner, wider.

From a feature perspective there are three things that make this unit superior:

1. Bluetooth streaming from things like your phone, tablet, etc. The sound quality was PHENOMENAL and full/loud.
2. The unit can learn your volume up/down and MUTE. The YAS-101 would NOT learn mute and that was very annoying.
3. It has a mobile app that allows you to control all functionality of the device, except turning it on...

These additional features are all optional, and do take a little more setup than the plug & go. But if you don't want complication you can plug & go with this unit.

I'll continue to update my review if my experience changes or if I encounter some new things that I want to share. I felt quite iffy about the YAS-101 but I can recommend this one fully! The only other caveat I have is for some sound units that are meant to go under the TV and also act as a stand. That is an interesting design, as I'm not thrilled at how this sits in front of my TV on a stand that is not that deep. That's not a functionality or performance issue, just form.

If you have any questions, please post below and I'll do my best to respond quickly!

UPDATE: A couple things I forgot to mention. The unit reacts to remote control requests must faster than the previous model-- volume up & down, power on & off, much more responsive than the YAS-101.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it for what it is, April 4, 2014
e_P_i_c (POMPANO BEACH, FLORIDA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YAS-103 Soundbar with Bluetooth (Electronics)
I wanted something that sounded good enough to substitute for a 5.1 surround sound (not replace) and was easy to setup and this was just that. For a long time, I was anti-soundbar because they just could never live up actually surrounding yourself with speakers. After moving and not wanting to go through the drill of setting up all of the speakers on a 5.1 or 7.1 system I searched for a soundbar and landed on this because of the reviews complimenting how clear dialogue is heard. I knew I was not going to get that full surround sound feeling that actually makes you look to see if glass was just broken next to you but wow was I surprised at how close it comes. I can pretty much forget that I don't have a real 5.1 system after a few min of watching. So after testing this bar out, the previous feedback that I read before purchasing this all seems to be right on point.

Pros:
Easy Setup via fiber optic cable provided
Sync the sound bar to your TV's IR signal so you can control both TV and bar sound at the same time (no need to find codes)
Button to sync the voice to get rid of the echo cause by TV and bar not being synced
No external sub to have to worry about setting up or taking up space
Easy Bluetooth sync and streaming
App to control soundbar via Bluetooth from your smart phone
Clear full range sound capable of filling up the average size family room
Separate volume control on remote for the bass so you can turn the bass down if you are listening late at night and don't want sound to travel.

Cons:
Looses the full range sound/deep bass when you turn it up past 80%.

If you want a true all-in-one soundbar with internal subs to fill up the room with clear rich sound at a medium-high volume, this is perfect. If you want to shake your house with bass, you should get something with an external sub.

Once I am ready to setup a full 5.1 system in the family room I'll replace this one and move it to the bedroom where I think it's features will be even more appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Easy To Setup & Use, April 16, 2014
This review is from: Yamaha YAS-103 Soundbar with Bluetooth (Electronics)
I have a Samsung 51" flat-screen (2007) with mediocre sound that is not very loud. This was fine until I bought the Roku streaming stick that allows me to play Pandora music through my TV. I didn't want to string wires or hang speakers and I'm not interested in having a concert hall sound experience. I just wanted decent quality sound with the ability to occasionally play loud music and I didn't want to spend more that $300 or so. At $250 the Yamaha price was right

Setup was dead easy. Remove the plastic protective covers from both ends of the included optical cable, plug one end of that cable into the Yamaha and the other end into my 2007-model-year Samsung and DONE! Except for plugging the Yamaha into the wall, that was it.

You need to understand that your TV's remote control only controls the TV's speakers. It does not control ANY brand of home theater sound system. When you attach ANY sound system to your TV you have to disable the TVs built-in speakers and then control the sound on the new home-theater device with a separate remote. That can be a pain with other devices but not with the Yamaha.

The Yamaha "learns" the off/on; Mute/unmute; volume up/down codes that your existing TV remote control uses for your TV and then responds to your existing TV remote control so that you don't have to use the Yamaha remote AT ALL.

I followed the "get started" instructions and quickly taught the Yamaha the codes that my Samsung remote was sending for on/off; volume and mute then I put the Yamaha remote away. Now everything is controlled by my old Samsung remote with no need to touch the Yamaha remote.

The sound quality is "fine." It's not earth shattering. It's not a concert hall. It is far better than the native Samsung sound and it does have a "clear voice" setting that makes movie dialog much clearer. It also has stereo and surround sound. So, yes it sounds good to me. I won't say that it blows me away but I wasn't expecting ANY $250 sound system to.

I would happily buy this device again, not for outstanding sound quality (Hey, it's only $250 -- what do you expect?) but for the superior ease of setup and ease of use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clearly better than its cheaper competition, April 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's get one thing quickly out of the way. This is a 2.1 sound bar and will not best a true 5.1 speaker set up, but we understand that when we buy a sound bar. Sound bars are valuable to a home theater set up because they don't require cables to be run all through your viewing room. People who want better sound than their TVs provide but don't want the extraneous cabling are the ones who buy sound bars. That being said, this Yamaha is a very good, if not great, product.

There are many ~$100 sound bars which have flooded the market in the last couple of years, but most of those are nothing more than glorified powered monitors like you'd find on a cheap pair of computer speakers. These products are generally all about form over function and provide very little to no benefits beyond a decent built-in TV speaker. LG I'm looking at you!

First off, Yamaha is a storied brand in the home theater market. Yamaha receivers and digital sound field processing has been the benchmark of mid-range audio systems since the first dolby pro-logic systems were introduced in the late 80s to early 90s. Yamaha's natural sound integrated amplifiers are still some of the most highly regarded mid-ranged products in the audiophile market. Although not necessarily known for their speakers, Yamaha speakers have quietly (figuratively of course) pleased many an audiophile. So the pedigree is definitely there for Yamaha to do what they do in this relatively young sound bar market.

Does Yamaha succeed? Is it worth the premium over its cheaper competition? Ultimately, how do they sound? For movie viewing, the surround sound effect is not nearly as good as a true 5.1 system, but is a definite improvement over TV speakers and cheaper sound bars. There was a handful of times that sound was thrown to the side and rear properly, but this effect wasn't consistent enough for me to say it is a rousing success. The sound is definitely mid-range-centric. The highs are present, but are a tad muted. They lack the glass shattering clarity, but that is to be expected in this price range. The most impressive thing for me was the bass. Although many sound bars claim to be 2.1 systems, they rarely deliver true bass, especially sub-bass. The YAS-103 delivers true bass. It isn't going to shake you off the bed, but it is enough so that you will feel it. The bass also does a great job of filling in the gaps, resulting a much fuller sound. For music, these are very good, not great. If you stream music using a roku, smart tv, plex client, or apple TV, then you will be happy. I'm a bit of an audio snob that spends a lot of money on high-end headphones and speaker systems, so I tend to be overly critical here. Considering the cost and the form factor, I give these a resounding thumbs up in terms of music playback. Similar to my experience during movie playback, it was the highs that bothered me the most during music playback. Just not enough sparkle in the highs for me, but perfectly decent for general listening.

Features are a real benefit of the YAS-103. First, they have a RF-relay built in. The RF receptor in the front of the soundbar will receive the RF signals from your other remotes and an array of RF transmitters in the back will repeat these signals to devices located behind the sound bar. This is useful if the RF sensor on your TV is blocked by the sound bar. Your TV remote will still work with this nice pass-through feature. On the back of the sound bar are a couple of screw mounts that will allow you to hang this speaker on the wall. A remote control is included with just the bare necessities like volume and source input selection. Yes I said it, this unit has the ability to handle multiple inputs. There are two optical in, a coaxial in and an RCA in. Instead of relying on your TV to be the hub of your system like most other soundbars, which this unit can also support, this unit can act as the hub of your system. This versatility gives you the ability to work with older TVs that don't have an optical-out. A minor addition that significantly increases the number of consumers that can benefit from this device.

As you can tell by now, I'm a really big fan of this speaker. For a bedroom TV, a kid's room, or an apartment set up, these are ideal. For your main entertainment system, I'd lean toward a true 5.1 set up, but if you don't like wires and electronics all around your room, then this is a very budget friendly alternative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound bar is not a true 5.1, but good improvement over TV speakers, November 25, 2014
This review is from: Yamaha YAS-103 Soundbar with Bluetooth (Electronics)
It's good, but not amazing. Compared to a standard issue Sony 5.1 theater in a box we bought over 10 years ago, this sound bar has no bass at all. Granted, it's not *lacking*, but will not make thunder if that is what you are hoping for. The description of the subwoofer is misleading. It has *woofers* but not a subwoofer as far as I am concerned. The bass sound is close to a nice bookshelf system. Deep and balanced, but not strong or thundering. So if you want to enjoy an action film with bass that you feel in your chest, skip this bar.

Now for the good news. The mids and highs are almost perfectly balanced. You will hear detail in movies, TV, and even music that you may not have heard before. I popped in Batman 2 and while the bass never impressed me, the ability to hear all the small nuances of the background sound did. Next i tried Avatar and on the scene in the control room I could hear the golf-ball rolling in the grass very well. In the jungle it really does sound like a jungle. TV shows are improved as well - the singers on The Voice come out so much better than regular TV or even our old Sony 5.1 system. And I can hear the dialogue at very low volumes while still hearing extra detailed sound. Good for nighttime viewing.

Surround sound is passable. You will NOT get anything close to 5.1 sound. It's more like a smidgen of extra depth is all.
But it's well balanced, forward and open. Don't get this bar for encompassing sound, get it for clarity and utilization of the space in your room using a this slim device. Mine is in an 18x18 bedroom.

Music is pretty decent. I used bluetooth and the sound was very good - again like a nice bookshelf system. You won't get a tower speaker sound,but it's a nice system nonetheless. When using direct inputs for music like my Chromecast with Google Play or a CD playing thought my Blu-ray player it has more bass and treble coming through. I tested using Imagine Dragons Radioactive and Skillerx songs. It thumps, won't shake the wall, but it thumps. And it handles itself well in stereo mode.

One thing I could not get working was 7.1. Tried Avatar, but nothing. Will try Frozen next. The coax input soiunded duller than the optical input to me. TV optical input was actually a little better sounding in the treble range than using a direct coaxial line from the blu-ray player.

It's nice, but for a fuller sound either get a subwoofer or something with a bit more 5.1 presence ( if that is such a thing with a sound bar ). Don't expect the same sound as a true 5.1 system. not at all. This bar does the job it's intended to do - replace the TV speakers with fuller sound and dynamic audio. Don't expect more. I compared this to a BOSE Solo...not really all that much difference and it was a lot cheaper to get the Yamaha.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so fast folks!, August 9, 2014
TheTechGuy (LUNENBURG, MA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YAS-103 Soundbar with Bluetooth (Electronics)
Surprised and disappointed. The reason it helps most in reviews is that they have experienced TV sound from the internal speakers vs. having previously separated audio components. This sound bar provides forward driven sound rather than the back and side speakers, directing elsewhere, in the TV. I would not suggest it for an open room layout as there is no directive control.

I compared this to my previously used Yamaha YSP-1 (originally over $1100.00) which has directive sound control and gives the feeling of physically placed surround sound speakers regardless of the room layout. The YSP-1 (the "P" is for projection)is built solid, heavy for good reason, and much more expensive, well made, and rather powerful in comparison even though it was Yamaha's first attempt.

The YAS-103 does not have anything close! Regardless of the hype, it's not there any better than any other sound bar comparatively similar. The upside is it is low profile, light weight (all plastic), stylish matching today's TVs, and has a decent configuration of features for an easy-on-the-pocketbook price. The downside is the audio reproduction which is what this is really about. The "sub woofers" are just an enhancement in the lower frequency of the mid-range spectrum. I would better classify it as "woofers". So don't expect any low frequency thumping and pounding on those big action flicks! On an esthetic view, the face of the gloss plastic is rather imperfect. There is grayed areas rather than gloss black in random spots on the bottom face and frontal face of the cabinet, creating an imperfect finish.

I was excited to receive it and had the feeling I wasn't about to be completely happy when I was able to pick up the box with one hand and no struggle. Quality sound comes from sizable speakers and large magnets, so weight always prepared the listener as to the expectation of his/her enjoyment.

I had to return it primarily since, for me, the need of projecting the sound and obtaining the virtual feeling of surround sound was very important. If you don't have that ability, as the upper models of Yamaha provide, then you have a sound bar like every else in my opinion, regardless of quality, it is still 2.1 at best... just not 5.1 or better.

IMPORTANT TIPS for DirecTV users: Save time and effort, and the hair on your scalp:
1. Don't bother searching everywhere for Yamaha sound bar codes... there are none. To be sure, I tried the suggested and all the non-suggested with the same bad results, or rather no results. You may find suggested codes that should work, and will work to an extent, but does not function as expected or should. Regardless of your current DirecTV remote configuration even with your your current remote working your TV, you must program the sound bar to the DirecTV remote, not the other way around. You may have noted that no matter what version of DirecTV remote you pick up, you just can't find anything for any of the Yamaha sound bars, and for good reason. So time well spent in the neighborhood of 5 minutes at first attempt, see the process in the user manual.
2. Equally important, when programming with the user manual procedure, you MUST use your remote that came with your TV, not the DirecTV remote even if previously programmed to your TV set! The DirecTV remote has a quirky function. When pressing the volume control, you may have noticed that the LEDs at the top of the remote flash first on DirecTV then sequence over to your preferred audio source (AV1-AV2 etc. The 2 stage approach confuses the sound bar and the reasoning behind using the original TV remote for the sound bar setup. Just follow the user manual and you will be a happy camper.

5.0 out of 5 stars clear dialogue and focused sound, May 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have a much less expensive soundbar that we've been using for a few years and while it's a MASSIVE improvement over the TV speakers, dialogue often gets "lost" on it. Any movie or television show with loud music or sound effects overshadows the dialogue, making it impossible to hear clearly.

The Yamaha is a vast improvement. The dialogue is clear, and no matter what is happening in the background (booming music, sound effects, competing noise, etc.) it stays front and center.

Another great thing about this soundbar is that it functions well in a room with high ceilings. The bottom floor of our house is pretty much one big room and the TV is in a part with super high ceilings, so the TV echoes all over the place. The Yamaha clarifies the sound quite a bit. No, it's not a multi-speaker surround sound system, but for a all-in-one bar, it's pretty great.

It's very nice not to have to put Closed Captions on for any show we watch, or have to hit the rewind 100 times per show to figure out the little bits of lost dialogue we missed. It's also nice to be able to go into another room and NOT hear the TV booming- because the sound is clear, we can actually turn down the volume, which makes us all a little happier when we're not all watching TV together.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't my ears, it was my sound bar-I can hear dialog again., April 26, 2014
This review is from: Yamaha YAS-103 Soundbar with Bluetooth (Electronics)
Using my previous sound bar my wife and I were always asking "What did they say?" and having to turn sound up to hear dialog/down whenever the music or sound effects started. Now we can pretty much leave the settings alone (except to mute commercials) and don't have issues with hearing dialog. This is without normally needing to use the Univolume feature. Bass isn't as "Boomy" as with my old Boston Acoustics bar, it's actually a more natural sound with good mid range fidelity. Turning on the surround sound feature gives the impression of more depth to the music as well as just making it sound better.
Setup wasn't hard, the instructions are clear. Iit's cool to use my smart phone as a remote but to do so I have to enter phone settings, switch to bluetooth, connect to the device to before using it as a remote-it may be quicker to just go get the remote. Training the device to work with my TV remote is straightforward and not much of a challenge-issues can arise if the remote turns the TV on and not the sound bar (or vice versa) but an extra click or two of the TV remote fixes things quickly this has only happened a couple times. The soundbar remote is now tucked away in a drawer and we should only need it occasionally.
The bluetooth works well as a music player for mp3's.

Yamaha YAS-103 Soundbar with Bluetooth