5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha YST-152
Recently decided to give my older but very decent Onkyo 5.1 HTIB to my son. Still wanted a good sound system for the 11'X17' TV/den room. After reading probably far too many reviews I decided to give this one a try. Did so based on the number of positive reviews of the 2011 released Yamaha model number 101 sound bar. For those of you that own the 101
I understand...
Published 8 months ago by Richard S. Reese

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite enough...
Published 7 months ago by matt ferguson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha YST-152, November 9, 2013
Richard S. Reese (PINON HILLS, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YAS-152BL Soundbar Speaker with Bluetooth (Electronics)
I understand your appreciation for that system. And, if you are looking for an nice upgrade, this newer, basically a replacement for the 101 should more than suffice. I purchased this model at Costco and it is badged ATS-1520. I unpacked the unit carefully in case the sonics were not up to my liking. The fidelity exiting the sound bar is better than I expected. I am guessing the extra sub this one comes with helps with the overall richness of the sound. The sub from the Onkyo 5.1 was sitting on the floor and I was never tempted to check it out with the new sound bar. The bass was extremely sufficient. With the nice width of this sound bar the spatial aspect, which mostly stays up front was also very nice and full.
Do not judge this sound bar by way of broadcast TV. Make sure you test it with a blu-ray movie and go ahead and check out the easy connecting bluetooth feature. My Android phone hooked up without a hitch. My only slight complaint is I wish they would have kept the two optical inputs. This 47incher has one optical, coax cable, and RCA analog inputs.
Could have used one more optical in.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite enough..., December 3, 2013
I felt like I had to write this review to help others with their decision on a new soundbar purchase. My old surround sound was a Sony system that was 6 years old. It was a 5.1 system but in our new house I only had the front speakers connected and the sub. I did miss my rear speakers but it worked. We decided to upgrade to a soundbar to be able to remove the amplifier/receiver from our entertainment center. I purchased mine at Costco after going back and forth from the different systems they had available. I was excited to bring it home and get it setup. At first I really enjoyed the vocals that this system provided. I had to return the unit because of the lack of bass. We needed the bass that the old system provided and this came no where close. No matter how i changed the settings i could not get any bass that I could feel even the slightest bit during Superman Returns. If bass isn't important to you I would recommend this unit, but if you like to feel your music or movies then pass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, January 3, 2014
I love this sounds bar!!! I have hooked to my Samsung 60" smart TV and the sound difference from not having it is 1000% better hands down. As far as sound bars go, realizing The wife variety and cost, if your looking for something nice with great quality and that relativity inexpensive, then this is the sound bat for you. Personally, I like that is all in one unit; the bass box, surround sound, blue tooth...etc!
I've connected my phone and played the music from my phone and it sounds AWESOME!!
Once you hook it up and start playing with the remote, try listening to the differences in sound in the different settings. The one that works for us is putting the bar on surround sound and then turning on the clear voice setting. ..WOW!!
Either way you decide to go you can't beat this sounds bar for the money and is simple install. One plug in wire and your done. Just make sure your TV volume setting is all the way down to zero, you'll be doing all volume control from the sound bar now. Another cool feature is the uni-volume. Take a channel like FX, there movies are at a lower volume then their commercials come on and your blown away, this stops that from happening.
I hope I've helped make your decision a better informed one. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Soundbar., February 21, 2014
I already own the YAS-101. I absolutely love that one as well. I needed another soundbar and discovered this model. Bluetooth being the key feature that the 101 doesn't have, I chose to go with this one.

Appearance:
Beautiful piano black finish, mesh speaker covers, and features (i.e. Bluetooth, Surround, etc.) subtly labeled on top corners. The remote control looks very nice as well.

Setup:
Easy. Plug in power, plug in provided optical cable, and it's ready to go. Bluetooth is easy as well. I just pushed the bluetooth button and it was connected to my phone right away.

Functionality and features:
The remote is simple and has the necessary buttons to do whatever you need to do. Also, the Yamaha app on App Store is cool too. I can be in another and it works. Can control most settings with app. The lights on front shut off when not being pressed. Volume and subwoofer levels are displayed through the lights as well. Univolume, Clear voice, and "Surround" features are all pretty nice and do what they are supposed to do. Although leave "Surround" off because it's not truly surround, just simulated. Additional inputs for connecting various ways are handy.

Audio quality:
Fantastic! I come from using fairly high quality surround systems most of my life and this single soundbar really performs. The volume is incredible. I'm in a 2 story, 1600 sq ft house and when this thing is cranked up, I can hear it clearly in any part of the house as well as clearly out front and back (with the doors open). The highs are nice and clear. There are no settings for adjusting treble or midrange, but I think it's not needed. The bass is solid. At lower to mid volume the bass can be kicked up and it sounds great. If you have the volume all the way up you hear the low end fall off, but not to the point of it sounding like speakers will blow. It has a subwoofer output. I don't think it's needed unless you plan on loud volume with music that has lots of bass, then get an external sub to help increase the internal speakers lifespan. The clarity of this soundbar is excellent. I really can't say enough about the audio quality of this thing.

Bluetooth range:
Very nice. In my house it can be used anywhere without cutting out when connected to my iPhone 5. I can also go out front without any issues.

Size:
Yamaha sells this as 55" or larger, but I have it under my 51" Samsung and it's the exact same width as the TV.

Overall, the price, quality, compact nature, and features all add up to a fantastic speaker. I'm done with having all the surround sound speakers and wires all over the place, but I was a little weary of such a small speaker having to fill those big system shoes... But I think it did amazing. Lots of power in a small package.

4.0 out of 5 stars Appealing design, versatile sound bar with solid sound. Plenty of bassy power, February 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Yamaha 152BL is a monster to reckon with. Sound is clear, has depth, and thumping bass. Playing games, watching movies, shows, listening to music are all enjoyable experiences. I like to connect the speaker to my TV to play games on my xbox, watch netflix, and play music via bluetooth.

Connection in all multimedia situations is flawless.

What I like most is the pleasing bass with depth, power, and balance.

Sexy build. Very appealing glossy finish. Mesh on the rear speakers is attractive.

Though it's recommended with a 55 inch TV and higher, it still would proportionally fit a 42 inch TV.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Better than the TV's Built In Speakers, January 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To begin with, if all you have is a flat-screen TV with the built in speakers, this will sound so much better! The sound is much more rich and powerful than the built in speakers, and the sound bar looks really cool. Unfortunately, if you are looking to replace a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system with this, you will be sorely disappointed.

First off, it isn't "surround sound." All the speakers are in the front. Calling this "surround sound" is like saying the defensive linemen "surrounded the quarterback" at the line of scrimmage. It just isn't possible. It doesn't even sound like simulated surround sound. It just sounds like a pair of stereo speakers. I wouldn't mind so much if they had at least included outputs for your rear channel speakers. Unfortunately, the only output is for an external subwoofer.

Second, while the sound is an improvement over the built in speakers in the TV, it is not even close to the sound quality from an actual surround sound system. The sound is much higher pitched and flatter than the surround sound receiver (I tested them side by side). The internal subwoofers are weak enough so as to not really be noticeable when playing a movie. When I connected my external subwoofer, it was much better.

The third issue comes from controlling the sound bar. My surround sound system uses Sony Bravia Sync (HDMI control) to run everything. This sound bar only connects to the optical audio output from the TV. As a result, it has to be programmed to respond to your TV remote. The procedure to program the sound bar isn't very complicated, but it fails most of the time. You have to program the mute, then volume down, then volume up, then power on. If you don't do all four, and in the right order, it won't work. If volume up fails to program, you have to clear them all and start again. To make matters worse, it would not learn properly from the DirecTV remote that is programmed to work with the TV. I had to use the original remote from the TV to program it. (When using the DirecTV remote, it learned that mute, volume up, and volume down were all "mute.") OK, so I finally got it programmed and working, after 30 minutes of doing it over and over. It was responding to the remote perfectly, even the DirecTV remote. About an hour later, we lost power for nearly an hour. When the power came back on, the sound bar would no longer respond to the TV remote nor the DirecTV remote. I had to program it all over again. Needless to say, at this point, I re-connected my original Sony 5.1 surround receiver and set this up in my kids' bedroom with their TV. (It does wall-mount very nicely.)

In summary, it sounds better than the internal speakers in a flat-screen TV, but nowhere near as good as a real surround sound system. It isn't a surround sound system anyway. The remote learning function is really bad, and it loses what it learned if the power goes out. I'd only recommend this if you cannot set up a proper surround system in your room and you have a lot of patience to program it to learn your remote.

5.0 out of 5 stars great sound, June 2, 2014
One of the negative things I read the most in the reviews is that the bass was lacking. I can tell you that the bass is good enough that I would almost think there is a separate subwoofer. I think the problem at hand here is that the people complaining never bothered to look at the included remote. There is a subwoofer +/- button. Out of the box the bass output is low, so just click the + button until the bass is where you like it. I had a separate 8" sub with my old speakers, and this bar puts out nearly as much bass as the old box.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, April 5, 2014
The sound quality is ok and the price is not bad at all. Of course a ful system is better but the point here is being small and effective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a replacement for a surround sound system, but great for those who want better than the built-in TV speakers, February 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, this isn't a replacement for a surround sound system. You can't expect a set of speakers sitting in front of you to provide same effect as having a surround sound system actually surrounding you. You're also not going to get the same deep-rumbling bass out of this soundbar as you would bigger speakers, much less a larger subwoofer.

With that said, this thing sounds pretty good. I disagree with others who said the bass is bad. Granted, I currently don't have a separate system to compare the sound at the moment, but I don't have a problem with it. I get a pretty rich audio experience. I don't see this as a replacement for a full in-home theater experience. If that's what you want, then you should save your money and buy a surround sound system. I see this more for those who aren't looking to splurge on a full home theater system or just don't care enough to want true surround sound, but want something much better than their TV's built-in speakers. If that's you, then I think this is a pretty solid option to consider. You'll get great sound at a fraction of the cost of a full surround sound system.

Bluetooth is a nice option. Once paired with my phone, I can play music from my phone on the speakers just by clicking the Bluetooth button on the remote.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow great features! Great sound!, January 30, 2014
MicheleLK "Michele" (Lower Fairfield County - United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am so impressed with this thing. First of all, out of the box there's just about no setup at all. Unlike traditional systems, with running cables and lines to other speakers, this thing has everything right there, ready to go.

I plugged in my TV, Xbox and also have been able to stream effortlessly from several phone in the house. VERY easy setup and great sound.

I love the remote-repeating feature, just in case this sits in front of your TV, whatever you point at it (Infrared) will repeat behind it. That's a very clever way to get around the issue that some people would have with this sound bar.

One little note, is that one of my favorite features is that you can visibly see (with the lights) when you turn the volume up or down. Sometimes while watching TV it's hard to tell by hearing if you've actually changed the volume, so I love that visual notification on the panel of the device that lets me know.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›