Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on January 17, 2012
I have to start off this review by stating that I originally purchased from Amazon the Yamaha YHT-495BL. The seller, Electronics Expo, was sold out of the 495BL and they upgraded my order - free of charge - to the YHT-595BL. This seller is great to step up like this and they shipped it right away. It arrived two days early, too. Great work.

Now on to the product itself. I've had about five hours with it so far (which isn't a lot, I know), but I am so impressed with the sound quality. I was smiling ear to ear as Casino Royale came to life. My original system was a 10 year old Sony Receiver with 5.1 Surround Sound. The Receiver was starting to go, and I think the Sub was on it's way out as well.

SET-UP: The Yamaha 595BL is an easy system to set-up. Everything worked the first time plugging it in (except for one thing which is state below). I hooked up the Playstation 3 and Direct TV via HDMI (taking advantage of the FIVE HDMI ports). The picture quality of both look fantastic as always (no change as far as I can see on the 50" TV), and the sound is crisp and clear. The YPAO Microphone is slick, as I put in the middle of the room and let the system measure the sound. Changing the levels is easy, too, as I thought the front speakers were too loud as compared to the center channel.

THE SOUND: Once the levels were set correctly, Casino Royale sounds great. At first, before I changed the levels, the music was louder than the dialogue, and even louder than some gun shots, as Bond was going after the bomb-maker in the opening action scene. After changing the levels, I started it over, and it was right where I wanted it. And, the subwoofer - I love bass, and this one rocks! It's about half the size of my old Sony, but sounds so much better. I even finished Casino Royale and started Quantum of Solace, and the sound effects of the opening car chase were awesome. Can't wait to re-watch Inception, Transformers, Harry Potter, and other movies.

THE REMOTE CONTROL: Since I have my whole system set up through the receiver, the Yamaha Remote can now be the universal remote. I had been using a five-year-old Sony Remote Commander that was big, bulky, and required many button presses. Now, with the Yamaha Remote, if I want to switch back and forth from HDMI 1 (PS3) and HDMI 2 (DirecTV) I can do so with one button press - no more hitting the TV Button, then the Input Button, the scrolling up and down on the TV to select the device (which could be up to four button presses). I will say, there are a lot of buttons on the remote, and it is intimidating to look at; but, the only ones I need are the inputs at the top, and the setup button and the arrows near it in the middle.

THE SPEAKERS: The construction seems solid and the size is great! What's even better is the outstanding sound quality that comes out of them. The sub is small, yet powerful.

I-POD INTERFACE: Love the USB at the front of the Receiver. I plugged it in to try it out with my iPhone, and you can select music, videos, iTunes U videos, and more. When you bring up music, you can do so by artist, playlists, and more. The screen even shows the album cover while the tracks are playing.

FM RADIO: The only thing I've had difficulty with is the Radio, and I can't figure out why. I have the FM antenna plugged in, but it won't hold a signal. I read that you can change the "MODE" so I'll try that. UPDATE: after reading on the owner's manual disc, I did try hitting the "MODE" button on the remote. One press of the button changed the FM mode to Mono, and the FM station is coming through great with no static whatsoever.

OWNERS MANUAL: Just as the other 1-Star Review states, the owner's manual is on a disc. I would prefer to have it in paper right in front of me so I can read detailed information. But, overall, it's no biggie.

I have to say, I feel bad for the other review of this product from January 2, 2012. If the speakers had reversed polarity, it's my amateur opinion that those speakers were wired wrong in the factory. That's too bad. Also, I have switched back and forth between many of the inputs (HDMI 1 -> HDMI 2 -> HDMI 1), and I have not experienced the problem that is described in that review. However, I've only had it operating since last night.

My first impression is that this system is outstanding. I'm very impressed with it's overall quality of sound, bass, size, setup, features, options, etc. This is my first Yamaha product, and I hope it lasts as long as my Sony system did. If it does, I'll be very, very happy.

Again, thanks to Electronics Expo for stepping up as they did to take care of my order.
on January 29, 2012
This is my first home theater. I researched a bit and on Consumer reports this is pretty close to the Bose system for one-third the price. It was this against the Denon 1312 BA system (which also got a good review from CR). I finally went with Yamaha because it had auto-calibration. Now a few things I wanted to get straight:
1. There are 3 boxes inside the huge box - One with the receiver, one with the sub and one with the speakers. Each of them has it's own quick setup guide enclosed. The speaker wires are not cut or stripped. You get 80ft of 18 gauge wire. So I got a stripping tool from Frys for 10 bucks. It's advisable to carry each of the 3 boxes individually to your home/apt (especially if you have to climb stairs). The whole package is about 70 lbs.
2. The speakers are a good size and very impressive. The receiver also seems awesome although I haven't explored all it's functionalities. It comes with an AM/FM receiver too. The remote is good, but it could be better.
3. The YPAO system. Its a microphone which needs to be connected to the receiver. The steps are intuitive. But I'm not sure this thing worked for me. I got a "W-1: Out of phase" message for 4 of my speakers. Apparently the polarity was reversed for these. But I was careful in making sure that this was not the case. So when I checked the manual (which you have to download), it did mention that the polarities for the speakers "may be reversed in some cases" to provide a better listening experience. So when I did pop in the "Captain America" blu-ray, it was AMAZING. I was blown away.
The next day I found that the distance it had auto-discovered was incorrect, so I manually had to put in the correct values. That seemed to make a difference as far as I could tell.

So I have half a star off for the speaker wire (just throw in 80 ft of wire?) and another half for the YPAO. Now admittedly the ideal recommendation for using YPAO is to remove all obstacles in the room, but I made sure there was Line-of-sight between the mic and the speakers. Anyway, I would have deducted one whole star for the YPAO, but I'm loving the system too much.
Overall it's a fantastic system and i'm surprised why many people didn't leave feedback.
on October 28, 2012
Very pleased with the Yamaha YHT-595. I spent a good 2 to 3 months looking for the perfect system. I checked reviews on CNET and Consumer Reports; I was originally looking to piece the entire system together myself, i.e. purchase fronts, satellites, sub and receiver individually because I thought I would get the best bang for my buck. However, I was restricted to a relatively tight budget (at least when it comes to surround systems) I was unable to find anything that would meet my standards. Then, I read a review on CR on the Yamaha YHT-595; it placed second only to a BOSE system for 3x the price. After looking at the specs for the YHT speakers and sub, I knew I found my unit. These speakers, at least by specs, are up there with the ENERGY TAKE Classics -- excellent frequency ranges and wood cabinets. After having it set up for over a week now; I am not disappointed. Great sound, both for Music and movies. Excellent sub; and the receiver is incredible. Yamaha makes some quality merchandise. I strongly recommend this purchase; especially if you are budget conscious. If anything breaks or quits working, I will be sure to update this review.
on September 15, 2012
This has got to be the best system on the market at this price point. Very satisfied. Order better speaker wire while you are at it, as this is the only visible place they skimped a little.
on January 15, 2013
Since I have hooked this thing up, I have been fooled many times by my girlfriend watching tv with me in another room and someone knocks on the door on tv and the surround sound makes it sound like our house door was being knocked on, even from another room. The only complaint I have is I wish the speakers we wireless. I'm OCD about wires running everywhere and can't stand it, hence why I'm just using 3 speakers. The universal remote works on everything but the xbox 360 (stupid microsoft) and it can only turn on/off the direct tv, not open the guide or change the channel but that's minor. Otherwise, I'm happy with it.

Update: It's ben a little over a month since I got this system. It still sounds okay...when it works. About a week after hooking it, I noticed that every so often, the sounds would die to the point where it sounded like the speakers were barely getting enough power. I switched out the speakers thinking it might be faulty wiring with one speaker but the problem continued and actually got worse. Originally, it was just a single HDMI input doing this but it now does it with all HDMI input slots and the sound problem is occurring more frequently. Don't get me wrong, the system sounds great when it works but it's a little ridiculous when in the middle of a movie, the sounds dies and you have to turn the system off and then on again just to get the sound back. In my opinion, this system is not worth $500, maybe $350 or $400 at most. Save yourself the frustration and spend a little more to get a better system.
on September 11, 2012
This home theater system exceeds my expectations. It is well built and I am still exploring all of the receivers functions. I recommend upgrading to 16G speaker wire. Hook-up was simple and the YAPO microphone got me up and running. After a few tweaks the sound is great. I use this in my den with my Pansonic 3D HDTV and my Pansonic 3D Blu Ray Player. It's not a large room so this is perfect and exactly what I was looking for. On top of it I got it for a great price and Amazon got it delivered to me as promised. I would recommend this to anyone if you can still get it while supplies last and the price remains reduced.
on May 28, 2012
This surround sound system is just right, easy to set up and walk through the product. Easy connections with the HDMI. Have just received the system, sounds great. Will follow-up within a few months if anything should change. Yamaha YHT-595BL Complete 5.1-Channel Home Theater System
on November 22, 2012
Love this! Great price, great quality. This makes watching TV so much more enjoyable. Fairly easy to install for my husband, who is not the most handy. Also fairly easy to use (for me), who is not the most tech savvy.
on October 3, 2015
After a couple years, I had to replace the infrared detector module. Otherwise it continues to function as advertised. USB port will only work with an i-Device, not anything that enumerates as a media player.
on April 18, 2012
I purchases this to replace my 20 year old Yamaha RX730, nothing wrong with it we purchased a new flat screen and figured we'd get a new sound system too. Love the sound & features, very easy to set up and everything worked great with the new tv and blueray player. I would recommend this and would buy it again.

Yamaha YHT-595BL Complete 5.1-Channel Home Theater System