5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly easy to use and elegantly designed
Well, other reviewers have dinged this product for transmission quality, the inability to see album art on the TV screen and battery life.

Personally speaking, I have not experienced any transmission issues, but to be fair I am not walking around my house or outside with the unit - I am using this from the comfort of my couch.

What I *do* like,...
Published on March 28, 2011 by Kenneth F. Krutsch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as expected
I bought this product cause I love to have my iphone in my hand while sitting on the couch or at the dining table and being able to switch songs frequently without having to get up. It's also nice to be able to control your receiver volume by using the side buttons on your iPhone.
However, you should be aware of a couple drawbacks of this product:

- This...
Published on October 11, 2010 by aldogg

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as expected, October 11, 2010
However, you should be aware of a couple drawbacks of this product:

- This dock does not allow you to display song title and album artwork on your TV screen. If you want this feature, you'll need to go with the non-wireless dock YDS-11SL. Also you cannot send iTunes videos to the TV like you can with the YDS-11SL.
However, this product has a video synchronization feature that works well - basically this allows you to play itunes video content or youtube videos on your iPhone screen (while holding your iphone in your hand) while the audio wirelessly comes through your receiver speakers. The device does a perfect job of syncing up the audio with the video (but remember the video will only be on your tiny iphone screen rather than up on the TV).

- I bought this product because I wanted a wireless solution for my iPhone music and yAired technology was supposed to be hands-down better sound quality than a bluetooth connection. I still think it's better than bluetooth, but I was a little disappointed because the audio occasionally breaks in and out with yAired. The audio breaks are rare - It usually happens when you first start playing music (maybe connection takes a while to solidify) or if you're moving around the house with the iphone in your hand. Note that it does play perfectly everytime when you have the iphone sitting in the dock.

Overall I still like the wireless feature, but was a little disappointed with yAired connection quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, mediocre execution, March 28, 2011
This review is from: Yamaha YID-W10 30-Pin iPod Speaker Dock (Electronics)
I bought the YID-W10 with a new Yamaha RS-500 receiver. The wireless dock seemed like a great idea that would allow me to turn a variety of ipods and iphones into roaming music transmitters. I primarily rely on a recent generation iPod (80 GB) that contains my entire music library and (normally) has great battery life but also have connected iPod Nanos and iPhones (3G and 3Gs). After almost two months of use, here are my observed pros and cons:

PROS
(1) Charges all iPods and iPhones (regardless of vintage) when seated in the dock. No compatibility problems.
(2) Excellent sound quality (when it works)
(3) Wireless functionality works well most of the time
(4) No problems with any functionality when transmitter is seated in the dock
(5) Allows iPod to control system volume -- a great feature
(6) Automatically sleeps/wakes the receiver based on iPod use (sleep occurs after several minutes of inactivity)

CONS
(1) Drains iPod battery very quickly -- cannot use for more than 1-2 hours without requiring a recharge
(2) Very susceptible to interference from other WiFi devices (iPhone, laptops)
(3) Wireless functionality limited to line of sight
(4) Wireless transmission is easily disrupted by various factors including too many people in the room, moving the transmitter while playing, scrolling through songs on the iPod while another song is playing (probably related to battery drain), and other electronic devices in close proximity

I really wanted to love this device. But the operational performance of the wireless is inconsistent. Sometimes it works flawlessly -- typically when I am alone, the transmitter is close to the base (up to 25 feet line of sight), and there are no other electronic devices nearby. It's great to be able to select songs remotely while cooking dinner or sitting on the couch. But other times the wireless transmission fails and the sound cuts out -- when the room is full of people, when the transmitter is being moved around, or when I'm scrolling through playlists. I don't understand why it's so inconsistent given that other wireless transmission protocols are quite robust by comparison. For example, I also stream music from my laptop to the same Yamaha receiver via an Airport Express and it works perfectly.

Since the transmitter draws heavily on the iPod battery, I think that the tendency of the wireless to cut out while scrolling through the menus is caused by a drop in power output from the iPod. Perhaps the iPod simply isn't designed to have this much sustained draw on the internal battery and can't provide enough juice under certain circumstances. In any case, the battery life is very short (1-2 hours) when running the transmitter. I compensate for this problem by making sure to seat the unit back in the dock to charge whenever the "low battery" indicator comes on or the device is not in use.

One bright spot is that the system works perfectly when the iPod and transmitter are seated in the dock. There are no cutouts or transmission problems, and it seems to charge every device I've used.

I hope that the Yamaha engineers can find a way to fix the spottiness problems with this unit. It could be a fantastic wireless transmitter for all vintages of iPods and a killer feature to sell Yamaha receivers (which are great). But they need to do some more work improving this transmitter before it attains "must have" status. I look forward to an upgraded version, if one ever arrives.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works okay, but..., May 28, 2011
John A. (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YID-W10 30-Pin iPod Speaker Dock (Electronics)
The item works nicely, and having the ability to control my AV receiver wirelessly with the iPod itself is a very cool feature. As others have indicated, the inability to play videos from the iPod on the AV receiver with this unit is a pretty big drawback.

I knew that going in, but purchased the unit for my downstairs AV setup because I wanted to be able to take the iPod outside and control the ipod play on my receiver when we are at the pool. Two major issues I have encountered:
1. The range on the unit is not as good as I expected, and forget about the remote unit transmitting signals to the receiver unless you are in the same room; the wireless signal will certainly not transmit through windows - so do not even think about being able to transmit through walls.
2. if you move at all with the remote unit while the iPod is playing on the receiver, you lose the connection and audio cuts out until you are stationary again..

I also purchased the YDS-12 for my upstairs AV system, and that is fantastic - working EXACTLY as advertised. If I had it to do all over, I would have bought 2 of those.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly easy to use and elegantly designed, March 28, 2011
Kenneth F. Krutsch (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YID-W10 30-Pin iPod Speaker Dock (Electronics)

What I *do* like, however, is the surprising ease of use. I plug the elegant, light-weight dock into my iPhone 4 and ... start playing music. That's it. I didn't even have to power on the receiver. The Yamaha receiver (mine is an RX-V667) automatically powers on, switches to the iPod Dock input, with saved DSP/audio settings from last time, and I control the track selection and audio volume using the controls/sliders on the iPhone 4.

When I'm done I just pull the iPhone off of the dock and throw it on the table. The End. The receiver switches back to whatever mode it was on before. I don't even have to touch the remote through the entire process (well, OK, I have to power the receiver off at some point).

Frankly, with my album art and audio controls on my PHONE, in my HAND, I couldn't care less about what's being displayed on the TV - again, I just plug in and the TV doesn't power on anyway.

Finally, another subtle, elegant touch for this product: the dock is shaped like an 'L', with the bottom of the L containing the Apple dock connector. If your iPod/Touch/iPhone is in a goofy case, the 'L' pivots at the angle to accommodate your device w/ case, without feeling cheap or flimsy.

Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars didn't work. but why bother? get airplay device instead!!!, February 26, 2013
This review is from: Yamaha YID-W10 30-Pin iPod Speaker Dock (Electronics)
This product continually lost connection - maybe it was interference because of the other wireless stuff in our house, but we don't have any more wireless stuff than the average household. But why even bother with this limited device even if it did work as advertised? Apple's airplay technology has pretty much made rendered this product obsolete. So for the same amount of money you can get an AppleTV (or an Apple Airport Express) to connect to your yammy receiver which will provide you with WAY more functionality anyway. One caveat is that airplay will work with your networkable devices (e.g. iphone, ipod touch, or your computer) - if you're trying to connect your non-networkable ipod (e.g. ipod classic) airplay won't work, though maybe someone makes an airplay adapter for an ipod classic. But then again, if you have an ipod, surely you have a computer so you can stream music from you computer to your stereo using an airplay (appleTV, airport express). Or you can just plug your ipod directly into your receiver using 3.5mm to RCA cord. Either way, many options that far exceed the usefulness of this dock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, even with new iPhone 5 'thunder' connector, February 19, 2013
This review is from: Yamaha YID-W10 30-Pin iPod Speaker Dock (Electronics)
I purchased this unit to go with my Yamaha YSP-2200 Digital Sound Projector (Black) so that I could easily connect my iPhone 4. It worked great with that device. I decided I wanted to connect my iPad 2, but it was too wobbly where I placed it. To fix this problem I purchased a CableJive dockXtender Premium Dock Extender Cable for iPhone, iPod, iPad (2 foot black). This was a great addition and allows me to easily use my iPad with the Sound Projector.

So a few weeks ago I upgraded to an iPhone 5. The new connector is a pain as it makes the iPhone 5 incompatible with all my current docks, chargers, etc. I ended up purchasing a few 30pin to Lightning adapters. Using the adapter with the iPod Speaker Dock allows me the full functionality expected. I can charge the iPhone, play audio, move through the playlists with the Yamaha remote control and watch video.

This is a great product and is far superior to having a bunch of extra wires and connectors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful sound quality from transmitter to receiver, July 8, 2012
This review is from: Yamaha YID-W10 30-Pin iPod Speaker Dock (Electronics)
My Yamaha YID-W10 has been in use for two weeks, mated with an iPod Touch and an iPhone 4S. The base unit is connected to a Yamaha RX-V671 receiver and music is output to high end Fluance speakers. The broadcast sound quality of MP3s from the YID-W10 to the receiver does not disappoint in the least in my modest sized living room. The transmission signal is not deterred by odd angles, passing people or pets, or signals from other electronic devices. Of course, when connected to the YID-W10 base unit the iPod or iPhone will charge up quickly.

What keeps the YID-W10 from being a five star product is its inability to consistently receive an Internet signal and subsequently transmit quality audio. I have two routers, one a Comcast Gateway and another a NetGear router. Both devices provide strong and consistent signals throughout my house, yet the iPod or iPhone will drop the signal when connected to the Yamaha YID-W10 transmitting unit within 10-20 seconds of connecting to either router, whether wirelessly or docked. Neither adjusting the A/B switches on the YID-W10 nor following the troubleshooting guideline has solved this problem. If you're interested in the many listening possibilities offered by Internet radio broadscasts, the YID-W10 will probably have you looking into other alternatives for streaming to your receiver (WiFi enabled Blu-Ray player, Internet bridge for the receiver, etc.).

If I had it to do over again, would I buy the Yamaha YID-W10? Yep! Give it 3.75 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Product, April 13, 2012
William (Alexandria, VA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YID-W10 30-Pin iPod Speaker Dock (Electronics)
I have had the dock for a year now and I can say that I am quite disappointed in it, and as a result rarely use it. The reception is like listening to a radio frequency station with a lot static and constantly breaking in and out. Its also fairly bulky if you want to use your phone for other activities while also listening to music. The only redeeming factor is that it does work when you set the device in the dock. However it has a very short cord (around 3 ft) which makes it hard to position. For those of you with a case you will need to take you phone or ipod out of the case before using the dock given how it holds the device.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad connecting, October 6, 2013
This review is from: Yamaha YID-W10 30-Pin iPod Speaker Dock (Electronics)
The range is too short. Need to face the dock directly. The battery of my ipod goes very quickly. Price reasonable tho.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wireless?, October 3, 2012
This review is from: Yamaha YID-W10 30-Pin iPod Speaker Dock (Electronics)
Easy to hook up but unless you live in a small living space with direct line of site to the controller's home base don't waste your time or money. We tried it and ultimately decided to go with the SONOS set up and we couldn't be happier.

ARRAY(0x94a9ebe8)