Top critical review
8 people found this helpful
Stupid proprietary product, should've been bluetooth
on June 26, 2013
1) If your phone is in a case, no matter how thin, this dongle will not plug in completely. You'll have to take the phone out of the case. For reference, I have an iPhone 4S in a slim Ivyskin case. If they'd made the plug even 1/8" longer, it probably would've worked with the case on.
2) It is extremely unclear in the manual that this product will not work from a Mac or PC unless you go into the setup for the soundbar you're streaming to and turn on the iPod Interlock under yAired.
3) It also won't work on a Mac unless you go into the Sound preferences and select the device as the output device.
4) And now the worst part: when streaming from a computer (in my case a Mac), it takes FOREVER -- I've had it take over a minute -- to make a connection to the soundbar and start playing. And if you pause playback, it drops the yAired connection completely, and when you start playing again it'll take FOREVER to make a new connection from scratch. And all the time it is trying to make that connection, your music or audiobook is playing but you're not hearing it. Also note that when you pause playback on the Mac or PC, it not only drops the yAired connection, it starts accepting input from wherever it was accepting input before (in my case this is usually the TV). This is very annoying, especially if you've paused the playback in order to take a phone call.
5) Having a dongle is stupidity in itself when bluetooth works so much better and faster and more seamlessly. I bought the YP-3300 soundbar because I needed 4 HDMI inputs. The downscale model, the YP-2200 with only 3 HDMI inputs, *does* do bluetooth streaming, but the YP-3300 doesn't. That's why I had to buy this poorly-designed moronic dongle.
The only reason I gave this 2 stars instead of 1 is because, once it FINALLY makes a connection, the streaming is flawless. Admittedly I'm quite close (~10 feet) from the soundbar and have clear line-of-sight, so I would expect it to be flawless; I'm just saying at least they didn't screw up that part.