5.0 out of 5 stars Considerably better than anticipated!
Published on October 11, 2008 by Nathan A. Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars The reviews on this lead me astray...please read why!
I have to be honest, I was sorely disappointed with this KEYBOARD (emphasis on that!).
I first want to say, this is a beautiful keyboard and having 76 keys is awesome. But honestly, that's it.

I want to get something straight here, I read many reviews saying it sounds like a real [grand] piano...NO it doesn't. The moment I started playing this, I couldn't...
Published 4 months ago by Kelsey

5.0 out of 5 stars Considerably better than anticipated!, October 11, 2008
Nathan A. Edwards (Jacksonville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
After having played the Yamaha YPG-535 88-key Portable Grand Piano Keyboard in a showroom and loving it, I was torn, wondering what all I would be missing out on if I went with the more economically priced YPG-235. I now own the 235 and it appears as if I am missing out on twelve keys. That is, I am not experiencing even an ounce of buyer's remorse after opting for the cheaper 235. This is a lovely keyboard with more beautiful voices than I will ever know what to do with and extremely user friendly functionality. Of course, my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt as I will be the first to admit that my experience with other products of this variety is extremely limited. As such, it might be best to say that, for a novice, one could not ask for a better instrument for the price.

So what is the difference between the 235 and the 535? Based on my previous comparative shopping, I have come up with a few differences. First is the obvious fact that the 535 possesses 88 keys, while the 235 has 76. The 535 also includes a stand, sustain pedal, and power adapter, which must be purchased separately for the 235. While I am unaware of the specifics, the 535 also has greater storage capacity and capability as well as a few more voices. Beyond these definitive differences, having now played both models, the 535 also wins out with regard to aesthetics in that it looks and feels to be of a slightly higher quality, from its display to the apparent craftsmanship in assembly.

Why buy the YPG-235? If price is not an issue, go ahead and get he 535, it is a beautiful instrument. However, for those on a budget or for those who simply do not need 88 keys, purchase the 235. Like the 535, the 235 possesses piano style Graded Soft Touch (GST) keys, which are not exactly weighted but occupy that perfect gap between pure synth keys and weighted. The feel is perfect for one who is used to standard synth-style keyboard keys yet longs for a little more control without sacrificing playability. The 235, like the 535, also features USB connectivity and general MIDI compatibility, as well as almost all of the same high quality voices, which separate both the 535 and the 235 from many other models in their price brackets (besides the pianos, the multitude of stringed instrument voices are amazingly realistic). While it is unfortunate that Yamaha decided to not include a power adapter with the 235, the Yamaha Survival Kit D - Accessory Kit for Yamaha YPG-235 & YPG-235 Keyboards which includes a power adaptor, extended warranty, and a couple of other low quality extras can be purchased relatively cheaply. In my opinion, the YPG-235 offers the buyer more bang for their comparative buck. Again, the 235 sounds great, feels great and is hard to beat for the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful keyboard: capable, anointed, and worth wayyyyy more than its price! I've bought ten. Here's why:, April 5, 2012
This review is from: Yamaha YPG-235 76-key Portable Grand Graded-Action USB Keyboard (Electronics)
The Yamaha DGX-230 / YPG-235 is a great keyboard! I travel and do concerts, shows, church services and live recordings in many countries and am so pleased with this keyboard that over the past few years I have purchased ten, leaving one in each region so it's available when I return. Let me tell you why.

(Note, the DGX-230 and YPG-235 are exactly the same keyboard. DGX is silver, YPG is 'champagne gold', the DGX includes the sustain pedal and adapter, YPG does not.)

The DGX-230/YPG-235 sounds great, is simple, versatile, durable, loud enough to lead a sing-along for a room of 15-20 people without needing added amplification, and can even run on batteries (great for the beach or campfire). It can sequence up to 10,000 notes (5,000 chord changes if you're running the arranger). It has 76 keys--a HUGE advantage--with three levels of touch-sensitivity, which is a big plus if you are taking piano lessons and need the range and feel of a real piano. Also, if you play music that ranges from quiet, sensitive and light (requiring a delicate touch and nuance) to loud and aggressive requiring heavy pounding, the DGX/YPG can adjust the touch-sensitivity three levels across the entire keyboard as easily as flicking a switch! In this price range that is amazing.

I love the weight of this keyboard (18.4 lbs)! It's so portable and light you can take it on an airplane in a padded bag with weight to spare (even in Europe where the max is 20 kilos). It's durable and light enough to carry 'around town' without a road case. In fact my wife (who weighs all of 100 pounds and zips around busily on her 5" heels) carts this thing around, up and down stairs, in and out of the car, as easily as carrying a second purse under her arm!

The Yamaha DGX230/YPG235 is simple to use and does its job VERY well! It has a LOT of capability, tons of sounds and great styles, and believe it or not shares about 90% in common with the more expensive models (DGX 530/630 and YPG 535/635). Granted, a little more effort is needed to access some of the various submenus, such as octave function, volume levels of sections, sound parameters, etc. but it's not overly difficult to access these functions, and user registrations can be set up to help out.

On a personal note, this little Yamaha wonder even seems to have a spiritual side built in. Hear me out on this. For my use as a worship leader, it's important I don't get too distracted and caught up thinking and worrying about operating the keyboard. Rather I need to focus on sensing God and being inspired. This Yamaha keyboard (to use a church term) is really anointed--its sounds and styles actually help create an overall spiritual sense of inspiration. I'm not kidding when I say this.

In my work I perform with a lot of different arranger keyboards, from little toys (I've had to do entire concerts in remote places, once near the north pole, with a 24-note 'toy' with 1/2"-wide keys!) to the big boys (PSR 2000, Ketron, Tyros, Korg, etc). Whether I'm doing a concert for thousands of people, a home meeting with 20 folks, recording inspirational worship videos for YouTube, or just worshiping on my own at home...when I really need to get into God's presence and be inspired, this is the keyboard I usually use. I have three or four other arranger keyboards at home, including a very specialized $4,000 Italian Ketron SD-1, a classic Roland E-86 (also made in Italy), both top-of-the-line arranger keyboards with amazing sophistication and capabilities, plus a few others...BUT I usually choose this little Yamaha wonder, the DGX230/YPG-235. Why? Because it's easy to use, sounds great, and (for whatever the intangible intrinsic reasons) really helps me get into God's presence and be inspired. Plain and simple.

I could say lots more, but in my opinion, to get all this, for $250-300 is really a GREAT deal!! You can't lose! Whether you're a beginner, or intermediate, look no further.

If you're a church looking for an economical alternative, do yourself a favor...BUY one of these! Buy two! I can't tell you how many churches I've gone into with huge expensive keyboard workstations (a la Motif, etc) which they've spent two or three thousand dollars on...yet with nobody who knows how to access 99% of the functions! If the truth be told, they have no need to. What they really need is a Yamaha DGX230/YPG235. It can function as a grand piano, a synthesizer, a church organ, a bass guitar, or whatever is needed! It's simple enough to not intimidate average musicians. BUT it can also be a GREAT arranger keyboard that supplies the sound of an entire band! --creating and playing songs 'on the fly'--no sequencing necessary!

Get this 'basic' Yamaha, take an hour or two to learn the functions, then blow away the audience/pastor/board/congregation/mom/dad/family/school-mates with what you can do and how powerfully you can positively affect and inspire an entire audience or congregation in such a big useful way!

----------

To be fair I can think of five negatives. But for most people they won't matter a bit:
1) the stylistic variations are limited, each style having only an "A" and "B" variation together with corresponding intro and ending.
2) The stereo headphone output functions as the line out. This means that when you adjust the volume knob, the signal coming out of the keyboard is similarly affected. (note that since the headphone output level is louder than a typical 'line out' level, be careful so as not to overload the amp or soundboard with the high level, especially if the volume knob is up full.)
3) There's no midi-out, so if you want to run another keyboard via midi (for example if you need more than 32-notes polyphony) you'll have to hook up this Yamaha to a computer (via the USB A-type jack), and from there connect another keyboard. I don't know of any way to control another keyboard without using a computer to go-between. (If someone knows, please email me at stevekuban@hotmail.com)
4) On this keyboard you can't save to a flash-drive, nor load from a flash drive, because there is no "USB to Device" functionality (unlike the higher-level models). However you still have 'USB to Host' capability, which means you can connect the 230/235 to a computer (the host) and transfer songs, styles, etc back and forth, as well as record performance data while you play to a sequencer application running on your computer.
5) While the internal sequencer can record up to 10,000 melody notes (or 5,000 'chords'), there doesn't appear to be a way to transfer a song that you sequenced (or a performance that you 'recorded') on this keyboard to your computer as a standard midi file (smf) for further editing and manipulation in your sequencer application on your computer. However I am still looking into this.

But regarding these 'negatives', it's worth noting that even the top-of-the-line electric grand in this series has only two variations, and no midi outs. So, if your application needs more variations or a midi out, then you'll need to consider the PSR series, or Tyros, etc.--but be aware that you WILL lose the extra octave, and it will cost you considerably more money. I've settled for less, and in so doing have been very pleasantly surprised. I can't be happier with my choice of the Yamaha DGX230/YPG235 electric grand, and I recommend it to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice electric piano, April 24, 2009
SOu "fylloxera" (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I am a novice piano player, but for the price, this electric piano is fantastic. It works perfectly with Mac Garage Band (download Yamaha Mac drivers). The grand piano sample sounds like a real piano. The led display helps with reading notes.
There are 300+ samples, fun for the my nephews, and fun for me. It has a a nice resistive feeling between a real piano and a synth. The lower octaves have a heavier feel compared to the higher octaves.
For the serious novice or the pro that needs a nice inexpensive portable, this machine is a super bargain. In no way does this machine feel cheap. Yamaha created a wonderful machine, with the greatest respect for those on a budget.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a workhorse., July 27, 2011
I'm an elementary school music teacher, and this keyboard is in constant use. The sounds are amazingly real. It can sound like a real theater organ. The piano keys aren't really weighted, but there's enough of a natural touch response that you can play comfortably. I do wish they were a tiny bit heavier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, February 17, 2011
I took piano lessons 50 years ago and got this crazy idea that I wanted to play again. So I researched keyboards and read a lot of reviews. I didn't care about the bells and whistles, and it has lots; I wanted something that had keys that looked like a piano, felt like a piano, and sounded like a piano but didn't cost like a piano. The Yamaha 235 is exactly what I was looking for. It is amazing how much like a piano it feels and sounds. I chose 76 keys because I thought 61 would be limiting, and 88 was more than I would use and so far that is good. I ordered a power adapter because it was recommended, but the keyboard came before the power supply, so I used a similar AC adapter I had on another electronic device. As far as I can see it is working perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!! Champaign Color!!!, February 17, 2011
When I purchased this keyboard I thought that it would be good, but it exceded my expectations tremendously! The color is amazing, however the piano sound is exsquisit. The keys are silent, in my opinion, compaired to cheep Casio keyboards. The graded soft touch is one of my favorite features in an electronic keyboard, and though the keys are not weighted like the more expensive models it suffices for my purposes.

I can only comment on the piano and celesta sounds because they are the tones that I work with most often - and they are both sound amazing through the built in speakers, in my personal opinion.

The included music stand is also a plus it is much better than those included with some other keyboards.

The consule is not overloaded with controls like a synthesizer it is relativly clean. I also like the square and rectangular buttons which have a classic look. It doesNOT have a sampler feature, for which I have no use anyway.

As a large person I am not a fan of the X-stands - I wory I will tip them over. I like the platform stands (the ones like tables). They usually can hold instruments that are much heavier than this one and have a lot of leg room.

I purchased the Yamaha pedel for this model as well as the AC adapter. The sustain pedal works great, but it does'nt support partial peddling.

In my personal opinion this is the best keyboard that you can buy in this price range - for using as a piano simulator without the need for tons of features.

Word of Caution: Yamaha products usually sell the AC adapter seperatly - its not expensive though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha miracle., June 7, 2011
Richard (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I think that this 76-soft key digital piano is an awesome bang for the buck! You might want to get yourself: a power adapter, a good stand, the $15 dust cover available here on Amazon, and a sustain pedal. The piano sound and speakers are wonderful and there's lots of other fun voices to play with. A big plus for me is that the key action is quieter than acoustical weighted keyboards that cost under $2,000. I also like the five track recording playback and the built in metronome. They facilitate much more perceptive and objective self evaluation. I can't vouch for USB/computer connectivity feature. Never tried it. No tuning ever necessary. Volume control and headphone connection means you don't have to bother loved ones or neighbors. I've had problem-free fun on mine for more than three years now. Negatives: your fingers pivoting on the keys can cause loud squeeking as your fingers slip on the hollow, plastic keys. Hey, Yamaha had to save money someplace, huh? (Caution: playing a soft key keyboard will not develop the finger strength necessary to play an acoustical piano.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome except for reverb in the F below middle C, March 26, 2011
I really wanted a 76-key keyboard that would have a realistic piano sound as well as various beats and other sounds, and the ability to connect to my computer should I decide to get into composing music. So far, I've only used it as a piano and have played around a little with other voices and the beats. The piano sound is excellent! I like a few of the other sounds but most of them I don't care for. My main concern is that there is reverb in F below middle C that I don't hear in the other keys. I thought it must be defective (sounds that way to me) so I got a replacement. I have the same problem with the replacement. I have sensitive hearing so maybe that's the issue. It's not such a horrible reverb that it ruins my playing experience but it is a bit annoying. I figure that for $200 the quality is excellent - it's just that one note. I was aware, but maybe some are not, that the keys are not weighted like a piano. I think that my $200 was well spent. If I get really serious about playing I'll upgrade to a keyboard with weighted keys (which hopefully will not have any strange reverb on one note). One last thing is that I love the feature that allows me to split part of the keyboard with one voice and the other part with another voice. I like the trombone section sound for the bass and the classical guitar sound for the treble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of bang for the buck...!!, December 18, 2011
Our first Yamaha keyboard which replaced a couple of lesser brands. The weighed keys act just like a true piano. The instrument selection is very vast and they all sound like the real thing. This was a present for my bride and she has been playing the darn thing for four days straight now...

4.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard plays nicely, with speaker issues, July 1, 2011
I purchased this keyboard after being a long-time owner of a Yamaha keyboard for 12 years--my old keyboard had finally aged and quit working.

At first, I was amazed at the features that the YPG-235 had that triumphed over the older version--for instance, a jog dial and a much better quality, now LED-lit screen showed a cool, blue radiance to it along with a full version of the music staff and a full preview of the keys being played was a major step forward. It also was significantly less crowded than the previous version, offering several more features. For all this, and the fact that this keyboard came in good condition without one scratch, and was wonderful to play, the keyboard would have received five stars.

The fifth star, however, is docked because the speakers on the received unit did not work properly, but work as if they had been previously "maxed out" and were left in that condition--leaving the speakers to play washed out notes, crackling, and other undesirable effects. To fix this issue, use a Line Out or connect to a sound system to play. Another option, which I primarily use, is to hook up studio-quality headphones to the Line Out port and listen through there.

This is a great keyboard, and is of great quality as one would expect from Yamaha--however, please be advised that the speakers may or may not work the way you'd like them to on this model. :)

Rate and Discover Movies