5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sound Bar value today
Published on June 11, 2011 by P. Freer

3.0 out of 5 stars "...For what it is"
So whenever you read a review on a product like this (or any product with compromised performance), it's always excellent "for what it is." It's a very true statement that applies here, but it doesn't really help you understand how good or bad it sounds until you hear it for yourself. My built-in TV speakers are very good for what they are, but that doesn't mean I want...
Published 15 months ago by Chevypower

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sound Bar value today, June 11, 2011
We tried several different models over the years to use in our vacation/retirement home and this is the only one that gave us an excellent surround experience while also being able to handle our music needs. The lack of wires around the house was my wife's #1 priority, and my #2 - my first priority has always been the sound quality and the ability to fill our 19' x 25' great room. You can tailor the overall sound quality through a number of settings.

Having been in the reidential and commercial audio/video industry in the 70s and early 80s in both retail sales and as a manufacturers' rep, I was well aware of the developments in surround sound and have watched it evolve. I more often dealt with recording and sound reinforcement products - the former usually involving small monitors and the latter using large scale multiple speaker arrays and so I tend to lean toward the larger box sound, but this system amazes me. I also sold a large amount of Yamaha pro equipment, including their amplifiers as well as guitars and electronic keyboards. Their products were always among the best and the most reliable.

While I agree placement is important (it is in all systems, don't let the industry hype fool you) I found it worked well in a variety of placement positions as long as you ran the auto setup and then tweaked to your liking.

Please understand that I'm an "early-senior" with a moderate amount of hearing loss from the aging process, and more importantly from a number of years in working in high sound pressure environments for extended periods of time (in the sound rooms and on stage). I no longer consider myself a critical listener (I don't listen to "the sound" anymore - I listen to the content) so what I hear may not apply to your needs, but I believe this product to be an exceptional value sound bar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding modern soundbar for specific room types, March 12, 2011
I got this Yamaha for our bedroom, which is the perfect candidate for a soundbar: its symmetrical, with the TV perfectly centered on one wall. If you have an open concept room, a soundbar is going to be far less effective. In my case, it really does work like magic. We popped in the Italian Job and were immersed in surround sound. It didn't sound quite as good as my dedicated 5.1 system in the living room, but it was close!

Subwoofer is adequately powerful for small rooms, and produces nice bass. Again, if your room is larger or more open, the sub will really struggle to keep up. In my case, in the bedroom, the subwoofer has ample power to deliver decent-sounding explosions!

What I love about this system are the 3 HDMI ports + 3 digital audio inputs. This means I can hook up my PS3, cable box and Apple TV, and still have inputs left for audio if I want. This leaves me with just one HDMI cable going out from the soundbar to the TV, a great option for folks (like me) with older LCDs that only have a single HDMI input. This also allows the soundbar to handle all input switching for video and audio. It cleans up the cable clutter and reduces the need for the extra step of manually switching inputs.

My only wish was that the remote had the ability to turn the TV on and off - this would allow me to completely eliminate the need to keep my TV's remote control around.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars, but still!, November 28, 2013
Maek (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Yamaha YSP-1400BL Soundbar Speaker System, Black (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
WOW. I had to admit that I was somewhat skeptical when I read that the built-in "subwoofers" were rated at 30W. However, after having plugged this in, I'm pretty impressed!

One special thing to note. With my TV/PS3/DirecTV setup, my TV does NOT support a fiber optic output despite the instructions telling you that you should hook it up this way to get the sound to work. I can gladly report that you DON'T need to do this for it to work and I have the following setup:

- PS3 - fiber optic to Yamaha (TV input)
- DirecTV HR24 - coaxial output to Yamaha (BD/DVD input)

I did run this sound bar through the ropes and here was my testing lineup:

- Star Wars Episode V (Blu-Ray) - Falcon/asteroid scene (chosen for good mix of mid/high frequencies with orchestral soundtrack, TIE fighter engines, and good lows with initial asteroid impacts on Falcon)

- Star Wars Episode III (Blu-Ray) - Battle Over Coruscant (chosen for VERY deep bass leading into the first flyover the precursor to the Victory class Star Destroyer, the battle exhibiting a good mix of low/mids/and some highs, and to test surround functionality)

- Matrix Reloaded (DVD) - Chateau fight scene / Highway fight scene (fantastic orchestral and electronica score)

- Regular news channel (testing just regular TV broadcast)

After all that, I have some very good news and one disappointing piece of news.

Good news:

1. This sound bar touts being able to project a surround-like atmosphere. This is done by the usual direct/reflecting sound projection trickery utilizing the 8 smaller speakers along the front portion of the sound bar. It's not going to fool you, but of all the reflecting tricks that I've seen thus far, this one is by far the best that I've ever heard, hands down. It fills the bedroom quite nicely.
2. Mid and high sound reproduction...simply amazing. Dialog is very well-balanced against orchestrals and did not get drowned out. High frequency sounds from blades whirring even in the older, more compressed Dolby Digital track in the Matrix Reloaded were extremely well produced. Top marks.

Bad news:

1. Not so bad, really, but one can't expect miracles from a 30W subwoofer. The bass exhibited in the beginning of Revenge of the Sith rippled...badly. However, everything after that was quite well reproduced. With a little further experimentation, I found that reducing the subwoofer volume (yes, thankfully, it IS fully adjustable) was able to rectify the issue but the remaining punch was not quite as heavy as a result. That said, this sound bar is EXTREMELY impressive in what it CAN deliver and the other movies did NOT exhibit the same kind of bass rippling that was found in Revenge of the Sith. I'd still recommend it as a result.

Bluetooth connectivity is another plus for me. I can stream my music library from my Amazon cloud service and it actually sounds quite good paired with the sound bar. It won't beat a hard wired system to be sure, but for casual listening, it works without disappointment.

Another big plus for me - there are mounting brackets already located on the sound bar itself. Install 2 screws into your wall and you're good to go!! Having that as a built-in feature for me was definitely a nice feature as our dresser couldn't easily accommodate the real estate since the PS3 and the DVR take up the bulk of the space as it is.

Overall, for $399, Yamaha's YSP1400 is certainly worth the expense. I wish that I could give it 4.5 stars simply because I think that some sort of dynamic algorithm could have been added to automatically prevent rippling that I experienced, but a manual adjustment was all that was needed to make the problem go away. It's also worth noting that the sound bar can hold both Dolby Digital Pro II Logic and DTS signals.

Please let me know if you have any questions - I'm good with responding to comments when they occur.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Soundbar!, October 28, 2011
I just hooked up my Yamaha YSP-2200 to a Panasonic Viera 1080p, 3d TV and I love the sound it puts out. I even retired my Yamaha receiver since now I can run amplified sound right out of the Sound Projector/sound bar. It's the best if you have an ARC HDMI input on your flat screen tv since with this feature you can control the volume of the sound bar with any remote (no more juggling 3 different remotes! I haven't tried to pump up the bass so if you are looking for house shaking bass then maybe this system isn't for you. When I played music CDs I thought the YSP 2200 sounded great--crisp, clear and full. I know the system is a little pricey which made me pause before purchasing, but in the end I am totally happy that I spent the money this system. If you are fed up with all of the speaker cords and rgb cables etcetera then going fully HDMI is the way to go. My system now is minimized with 2 HDMI cables and when I finally get a blue-ray player that will add a 3rd HDMI cable. Very happy with the YSP 2200. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you keep limitations in mind, December 14, 2013
I had my misgivings. I've got a surround sound system, but when watching TV it's a pain to turn on and when I think it sounds good, my better half didn't like the sound at all. The TV speakers made it hard for me because the background music seemed to wash over the dialog. I looked at sound bars for quite a while, and settled on this one. If your expecting world class bass from the subs, move on (although you can connect your external sub with a wire). The sound reproduction is good but nowhere as good for music as my Yamaha tuner with Orb Audio speakers. Where this little beauty shines is the fact that when watching TV, the sound quality is vastly improved, and when I punch the "Clear Voice" button, shazaam! I hear dialog and the music is exactly what it should be... background. Where there are sound effects, the booming doesn't rattle the windows but it balances with the rest of the sound. I just now hooked my iPad to it and am playing Christmas Music utilizing the Bluetooth feature... terrific...

In conclusion, if you're looking for a sound bar that exponentially improves the TV audio and allows you to hear clearly the dialog, but also plays music acceptably, then this is the unit for you. It should not be thought of as a replacement for true surround sound.

The Yamaha YSP1400BL has met and exceeded my expectations... Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for this Price, September 2, 2012
I have an 'open concept' type living room. It's also 2 stories. It's one of those type rooms that is open to the kitchen and is about 20 x 30 feet. I purchased this unit to project the sound out into the living room as the gand parents have to crank it up to watch tv at night and the sound goes into the upstairs and wakes up the kids. My LCD television's speakers are on the rear of the unit, in a recessed nook on the wall. I wanted to purchase a sound bar that can project and I must say, this thing does a paretty good job at that. The instruction manual does state that this thing performs the best when in a box type room that is symmetrical, so if you are disappointed in how yours sounds, then you may want to look at the room layout and make adjustments manually. When you do this, you can get it to sound pretty well. Those who have reviewed and stated that they couldn't get it to sound very well, just haven't worked with the manual adjustments to get it to sound best.

The good:
- sounds great once adjustments have been made. In addition, I feel that the sub has sufficient sound to create explosions when needed, but agree that the combined unit would probably sound better in an enclosed room, but again this is clearly stated in the instruction manual.
- it does come with an IR emitter that you hook up to the back of the unit in case it blocks the one on your television. It does seem to work well and I thought this was a nice plus for the unit.
- I was able to get the ARC feature to work thru the HDMI cable connected to my LCD television. However, you have to turn on this feature on the television as the command to tell the Yamaha to turn off is done by the television. You also have to enable the 'HDMI Control' to on as well. When I turn the television off, it does turn the Yamaha off, but I have been unable to get the Yamaha to turn on when the television turns on. I did contact the Yamaha support and they mentioned that this is normally the case with many of the televisions. It just depends on what type of television you have. I have a Samsung 4671. When the 'HDMI Control' on the Yamaha is activated and functioning, the Input on the Yamaha defaults to 'TV' vs. one of the HDMI connections since the programming in the Yamaha is set to this at the factory. This setting assumes that you have connected the digital signal from the television to the HDMI. If you turn off the 'HDMI Control', then the Yamaha remembers the last input and doesn't automatically change it. I need to play with it a little more to see which is the best (i.e. using the HDMI Control or connecting the TV digital output to the Yamaha.
- This unit sounds very good, in my opinion for soundbars of this price point. It looks really nice and well built. It also looks good with my television and the unit has a piano black finish as well. It also has feet that are both adjustable and removable which again is a nice bonus. It comes with an HDMI, Optical, and Coax cables that is a nice plus. You may want to get Monster or your choice of cables, but I found these are pretty good.
- The subwoofer is not wireless, although the on line salesman said that it was. I believe the 'wireless' function that it talks about is its ability to hook up a separate bluetooth receiver for music, etc. This attachment is no longer offered and I am assuming that this technology just didn't make it. It does come with hard wired docking stations as well that I have heard sound really good as well. Again a nice feature if you are interested.

The bad:
- The remote is pretty weak. It is not designed to be a universal remote if you have many audio devices to control. It cannot learn or do a whole lot beyond performing the 'auto setup', changing inputs, and volume of the subwoofer and Yamaha audio. With many having Satellite (DirecTV, Dish, etc.), you won't get any functionality from these remotes if trying to use the one provided the Yamaha. I know the Bose soundbar has this capability, but of course quite a bit more in price.

Overall, this is a very nice sounding product that has not let me down as my media room, which does have 7.1 sound does sound really good. The components in my media room are also Yamaha. If you are looking for this thing to replace your 5.1 or 7.1 home theater room, forget it. It does a good job, but you're just not going to get the same effects. I did a comparison by putting in the demonstration CD in both systems and my home theater room sounds better. However, if you are going for a sound bar, then I would highly recommend this thing to those who don't want all the clutter of speakers, etc. in your living room. My wife wants our living room to look nice and not have all the extra speakers in clear view that distracts from the nick nacks of world travels that I have given to her. That's why I have the man room, which is my media center upstairs. I will say that my downstairs tv experience is much better downstairs with the Yamaha.

Based on the price I paid $580, looks, bonus items named above, and impressive sound above all other soundbars in this price range, I give it a hearty 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of equipment, August 8, 2013
D. Sneid (Leawood, KS United States) - See all my reviews
After marriage and kids forced me to dispose of my old tube amplifier and big energy-hog speakers, I had been forced to endure average surround sound through the multiple small speakers that encircled the room where the big-screen HDTV was located. When we recently decided to redecorate that room, my wife demanded we get rid of all the "ugly" speakers on the walls that didn't match the new decor.

After multiple estimates from local media companies, describing ingenious and very expensive ways of hiding wiring and speakers using the state-of-the-art electronic devices combined with some destruction and reconstruction of walls and ceilings - it came down to better quality 2-channel sound or poorer quality surround sound, but they said we couldn't have both.

That's when I noted the Yamaha YSP series of sound processor/sound bars. I took a chance on the most recent model, the YSP-4300 (which isn't cheap, but can be purchased for more than 1/3 off retail price if you look hard enough) and the results have been fantastic. You get a wireless sub and a large, but trim and stylish soundbar that looks great under the TV. Actually the term soundbar doesn't do the 4300 justice. It's actually a 24 speaker array plus subwoofer, amplifiers and digital signal processing technology to generate up to 7.1 output. There are 4 HDMI inputs, optical inputs, USB, etc. It can process Dolby digital, DTS and various other audio formats to generate surround sound from two channel input. It even imports iPad video with the apple HDMI cable. All at a price less than 1/3 of what the stereo installer guys wanted to charge.

I've eliminated 2/3 of my previous wires, which helped make set-up actually fairly fast and easy. The manual is on CD, which is unfortunate, but is easier to navigate on-line from Yamaha on a tablet you can have with you where you need it. The instructions are a little minimalistic, and there are a few quirks, and some things needed to be done twice to work right, but in particular the sonic calibration is fast, easy and automatic -- an included microphone sets speaker distance, angles, volumes, etc. accurately in only several minutes Set-up of the entire unit takes a while, but only because of the many, many features and variations the system includes.

I was worried because the TV is in a room with a loft above, an irregular height tall ceiling, several open walls, a staircase and multiple other features that I thought would interfere with good surround sound - but the system calibrated 7.1 with the wireless subwoofer and the sound is GREAT. I get great surround sound as well as high-quality audio. It's not the audio quality I had with my tube amp and speakers, but I wasn't expecting or needing it to be.

There are available modes for everything including FM, iPhone/iPod/iPad, cable, sports, music, DVD's and Blu-ray's, and virtually every kind of audio/video input you can think of - including 4K pass-through for stuff that hasn't even been invented yet. The remote works well, and can control some of my other equipment. My Logitech Harmony universal remote recognizes the 4300, and controls the functions without a problem - except the 4300 has so many features and choices that they go on for pages and pages on the remote's little screen. Easier to use the Yamaha remote to do anything complex.

All in all, I'm ecstatic that the sound quality and available features are as well designed and implemented as they are, and that I don't have to worry about my wife complaining about the ugly speakers any more. For me, it's a "win-win" situation, and one of the best purchases I've ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a soundbar, December 8, 2011
First of all, be aware that if you want true 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound you really do need a home theater speaker system that has the rear speakers. Soundbars are intended for folks who for various reasons can't or don't want to run wires to the rear of the room. Soundbars are also intended for smaller rooms, not large ones. Within those limitations the YST-2200 is an excellent system. It produces surround sound to the sides of, but not much behind the listener. That said, the sound is rich and does envelop the listener for video sources (TV and movies). It has a frequency response "hole" between around 500hz where the soundbar drops off, and around 150hz where the subwoofer kicks in. This isn't noticeable for movies or TV program surround but does mean it's not as good as a true 5.1 system for music.

Setup is easy and the HDMI 3-source switching is very convenient. It's a Regza Link system which means it works with my Toshiba TV which won't let you turn off its speakers unless it detects that you're using a Regza Link home theater audio system. One caveat is that for some reason the YST-2200 doesn't like the HDMI output of my old but much beloved Toshiba RD-SX52 hard drive DVD Recorder - to get everything stable I finally had to abandon the HDMI from the RD-SX52 and run its video to the TV with colorstream component video cables and audio to the YST-2200 with a TosLink fiber cable. This means that to use the RD-SX52 I have to switch both the TV and soundbar inputs which is less convenient but at least with the RD-SX52 I can still play DVDs and see their Closed Caption output. (Blu Ray players do not convey DVD Closed Caption output, only Subtitles which are unlikely to be present on a DVD.)

The bass output from the sub is surprisingly good (in a small-ish room). In fact I had a spare powered subwoofer from a previous installation that I added to the YST-2200. After tweaking its crossover and volume with the tones on the Avia Guide to Home Theater DVD I could hear the difference with the additional powered sub but surprisingly it wasn't very much of a difference. I don't know why a few reviewers here said the sound isn't good on this system. I can tell you though, that when they said it wasn't as good as you'd expect for an $800 system that's because they didn't shop around. You can get easily the YST-2200 from reputable dealers on the famous auction site for $600 (as of this writing). And the YST-2200 is easily worth $165 more than the Polk Surroundbar 6000 (see my review of that system). Take a look at the Sound & Vision Magazine review of the YST-2200 for a professional reviewer's opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice overall sound bar, August 25, 2011
I am no audiophiles, just a casual consumer looking to buy a nice sound bar. I have pretty much looked at every sound bar at the price range of $250~$400. Nothing really wow'ed me, and some sounded really bad. I was going to buy the bose cinemate 2.1 system. Even though, it sounded great in the store, I read reviews saying that it does not decode HD audio codecs used in bluerays. That's what brought me to this sound bar. It's compact, nice looking, and it decodes HD audio codecs.

I took a risk with this sound bar because the reviews on this sound bar is very limited. Anyhow, I still went ahead and bought it. Like some people mentioned, the bass is indeed weak. Funny thing is that when I play MW2 on PS3, the bass seemed to be powerful enough to let me really enjoy the game. Overall, I am satisfied with the purchase. It's nice upgrade from the tv speakers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the sound, June 2, 2013
L. Young (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
There is little to complain about when reflecting on this purchase. If I bought this expecting true 5.1 surround sound I would have sent it back and given it a one star rating. As it is I did expect it to provide a better surround sound experience than what I have found. Having said this, the sound reproduction is excellent. The bass can almost shake the room and the full spectrum of sound is present. I am not an audiophile but I do believe I have a good appreciation for sound reproduction. If you want a sound bar to get rid of the wires and more concerned with sound rather than the surround sound experience then you will love this sound bar. One of the biggest complaints I read while researching sound bars was the drowning out of people talking making it difficult to hear peoples voices. This is not an issue or even close to being an issue with this system. The clarity of voices is excellent.

If I have any complaints they are minor. I wish I could hold down the volume button and have the sound increase or decrease in sound without having to continually click the button to change the volume setting. I wish there was a way to update the firmware. This would allow Yamaha to improve surround sound and other settings on existing units. We paid a lot of money and no one is going to upgrade because of a firmware upgrade. The difference between the TV sound and FM tuner sound is jarring. I think there is a way to dampen the FM sound without rushing to lower the volume. The FM tuner is not intuitive. I wish the LED display ran across the unit. It is also possible to view the settings on the TV screen. Why didn't Yamaha have a setting to view the LED status on the TV? That would have been a nice touch.

It would be nice if we could add wireless speakers to the back of the room to enhance the surround sound experience.

Yamaha YSP-1400BL Soundbar Speaker System, Black