5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the enclosed compost bin
Published on May 20, 2009 by Jim

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing for enclosed compost bins
The best way to turn a compost heap is to get a garden fork and just go to town, but if you have those closed plastic bins (like I do now), that's not a viable option.

Published on August 4, 2007 by Barbara B.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing for enclosed compost bins, August 4, 2007
This review is from: Yard Butler CA-36 Compost Turner (Lawn & Patio)

That's why I bought this compost tool and it's better than nothing since at least it helps move the compost around. However, it's not easy to push the tool down into the heap and half the time, the tines don't open up when you pull it back up. The tines are also quite short, so they don't catch much when they do open.

Still, I haven't found a better alternative and if you use a up and down motion (rather like churning butter) it helps somewhat.

In short, I give it a qualified recommendation if you have no other way of turning your contained compost pile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the enclosed compost bin, May 20, 2009
Jim (Houston, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yard Butler CA-36 Compost Turner (Lawn & Patio)
This item came quickly and looks to be very well made. If you have a plastic compost bin, this is an must-have item. I've found that jabbing the tool into the compost a few times (without completely removing the tool from the compost prior to each jab) will get it to the bottom of the heap in no time. Then, rock it back and forth while pulling upward. The rocking action will cause the wings to deploy outward (I have no idea why this is) and also create a hole down through the pile. And that air hole should help accelerate the decaying process.

4.0 out of 5 stars it's decent, August 13, 2008
This review is from: Yard Butler CA-36 Compost Turner (Lawn & Patio)
i've had my yard butler for about 1 month. i have one of those barrel type composters that's next to impossible to be able to turn over and aerate the contents, this item works well. the only wish i could have for it, is if the wings that open on it were a little bit longer, i have to stick it into the composter several times to really turn the stuff over. that said, i would still recommend it, it's a nifty tool that solved my problem. ed

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works well., May 6, 2011
This review is from: Yard Butler CA-36 Compost Turner (Lawn & Patio)
I received this tool from Amazon quickly and tried it out right away.
Firstly, the tool is well made out of heavy gauge, painted steel.
It also works really well. One pushes it into the compost heap and then pulls it out letting the tines expand and grab the material in the bottom of the bin.
Here's an important point and explains why some people aren't as pleased with this tool as I am. It matters what one is composting! If one is composting fine kitchen cuttings, then a tool like this one may very well be either not necessary or not the best thing for the job. But I'm composting coarse yard waste including chunks of bark from maple trees previously cut for firewood. Initially, I tried using my pitch fork on this material in my composting bin and that didn't work at all; in fact, it was totally impossible to turn the material at all. Then I sent away to Amazon for the Yard Butler Compost Aerator.
I'm composting in a bin type composter and the Yard Butler can reach down into the bottom of the bin of coarse material and really turn it inside out. A pass down each corner of the bin and then one more pass down through the center of the material and I'm done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes such a difference!, September 15, 2011
This review is from: Yard Butler CA-36 Compost Turner (Lawn & Patio)
Although we've had been dumping things into our black plastic cube recycle bin for over a year, things just sat there and didn't decompose. We got about an inch of dirt at the end of a year, which was a big disappointment. Then we bought this aerator. It is super-easy to use, and is solidly built. After only two weeks of 2X/week aerating, the compost actually looks like compost. We are so excited to see the results, and we've been looking around for more things to throw in. Leaves? Don't have to worry about them compressing and forming a semi-solid layer. Grass clippings? They'll go in nicely. This is a great product! I feel so much more "nurturing of nature" by using this tool to create wonderful recyclable compost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it time... it's great after the compost settles and compacts, July 27, 2011
This review is from: Yard Butler CA-36 Compost Turner (Lawn & Patio)
When I first tried this item, I had a new compost heap made of loose grass clippings, leaves, and kitchen trimmings, all fresh and lightly packed.

Only one wing opened, and often none, making the product pretty useless. I wrote a negative review.

Now, several months later, I have two heaps in open top bins that are settled, decomposing, and densely packed. The aerator now works beautifully and I am thrilled with it. In fact, I don't see how I could do the job without it.

Highly recommended if you don't use it for compost heaps that don't need it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird little wings, great thrust, March 27, 2011
This review is from: Yard Butler CA-36 Compost Turner (Lawn & Patio)
I agree with other reviewers (all of whom I read before ordering) about the wings not opening with regularity when plunging this tool into the compost pile.

That being said, this tool has great thrust, is easy for even my arthritic hands to use, and doesn't require a lot of upper-body strength to do a reasonable turning session of a single compost pile. I've taken the other reviewers suggestions to plunge it in at a slight angle then give it a twist to open the wings, before pulling it up. This seems to work well. This is also how I discovered that my beloved BioBag Food Waste Bio Bags, 3 Gallon 25 ea that I use for composting, are NOT degrading at all (as they came up impaled on the wings), so now I simply empty them into my bins, and throw the bags into the regular trash.

I'm hopeful that this tool speeds up the process of composting in my bins, especially now that the warmer weather is coming. I do love all of that glorious black soil!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tool for compost bin, May 5, 2010
pdxBK (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yard Butler CA-36 Compost Turner (Lawn & Patio)
This works great for turning and aerating. I have an Earth Machine compost bin, and after a year of struggling to turn it with hoes, shovels, rakes and anything else I could find, the Yard Butler did the trick. I was able to easily turn the entire contents in just a minute or two. The "wings" do a great job of lifting material from the very bottom of the bin.

1.0 out of 5 stars blades do not open, October 21, 2012
This review is from: Yard Butler CA-36 Compost Turner (Lawn & Patio)
This is no better than a stick, because the blades do not open when you pull it out. So if you just want to poke at your compost, save yourself some money and get a stick. If you want to turn your compost, buy something that works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in class, January 6, 2011
This review is from: Yard Butler CA-36 Compost Turner (Lawn & Patio)
I have had several of these type of compost aerators and others are flimsy and minimally effective at turning compost and last about a year before they rust and break.
However this one is sturdy, well made and does a much better job at turning over your compost pile. If you are looking for one of these, this is definately the one to buy!

Yard Butler CA-36 Compost Turner