5.0 out of 5 stars Old Yardman Yardbug Works Well 12 Years Later
I own this funny looking rear engine riding mower, only mine is green and yellow with the MTD Yardman label (model year 2001). A nice used one for less than $300.00 would be a good deal.

Pros:
- It makes grass cutting actually fun for an hour.
Published 23 months ago by Dadeo

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Bug 2
Published on June 22, 2004 by bkjj

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Bug 2, June 22, 2004
bkjj "bkjj3" (CHICAGO, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yard Machines 13A-344-700 YardBug 9.5HP 27" 3N1 Riding Mower (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
I bought this unit based on a Consumer magazines good recommendation for an even cut when mulching. 4 months later I am still waiting for Yard Machines (MTD) to supply a solution for an uneven cut problem I can only attribute to poor design. I need go over my lawn twice to get average results. After deck leveling and blade changes I am now forced to bring my mower to a repair shop to have them try to fix the problem. I can't recommend this mower at this time. If the repair shop can fix this problem I will edit my review. BTW, I am a HVAC Mechanic so I know how to turn a wrench. UPDATE: MTD has very poor customer service. It's very hard to get them to return phone calls. After many phone conversations, MTD still can't find a solution and does not seem to want to offer further help. The rep won't let me talk to his superiors, or even another service rep. I have brought this twice to the local repair shop and they still cant't fix it. They even came to my house to see how poor it cut and they totally agree it is not good, leaving high spots every few feet, so it's back in the shop. I am so frustrated with this rider I am using my push mower. As to a more recent review on this mover stating "some people expect this machine to do more than it was designed to do"... My reply is HUH? Who said anything about harvesting wheat? I just want it do a decent job cutting my grass. Is that too much to ask from an 1100.00 mower? I think not. If I had to do it all over again I would buy from a local dealer or Sears. You may pay more, but you have more recourse if you do get a lemon like me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Its pretty but it can't fight, June 28, 2004
By A Customer
I'm on my second season of using the yardbug and, other than its sleek style and compact design, there is not much good to say about it. The bagging and mulching capabilities are marginal - it tends to leave large grass clippings when mulching and does not give a clean sweep when bagging. Maintenance and adjustments are difficult to perform. To change the oil requires attaching a chute that can lead to a mess. Even leveling the blade is a complicated task. Most disappointing is the cutting capabilities. Cutting tends to be uneven and I often find the mower scaulps the grass when there is any uneveness to the surface. I find the mower to be unstable when mowing on an incline and the safety features are agravating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Yardman Yardbug Works Well 12 Years Later, April 3, 2013

Pros:
- It makes grass cutting actually fun for an hour.
- You can get real close to objects on both sides and it is stable on slopes. This is b/c the grass catcher is inside the mower itself (under the seat), not hanging off the side or back. The result is a stable mower that can go up and down a 20 degree slope without doing a wheelie (lifting up the front). It can tow a garden trailer and it gets the lawn done in less time.
- The cut quality is very good as long as the blade is sharp.
- It is easy to control. Drive controls are a lot like a car with an automatic transmission. Your right foot controls the accelerator and brake. Accelerator pedal is on the far right and the brake pedal to the left of it, so it is easy to "drive". Controls for choke, gear shift, engine speed, blade height are all easy to operate as long as you keep them lubed.
- Parts are easily available for maintenance and reasonable in price.
- Because of its design, it is easy to clean the exterior and keep it looking great for years.

Cons:
- Because of the closed design, maintenance is more difficult. Everything is covered by a flip up cover. The belts are a pain to replace, but they last three years.
- It is harder to clean around the engine and mechanical areas.
- The catcher may clog when the grass is damp.
- There is no cruise control, but you control the speed with your foot.
- The brake could be stronger. Mine probably needs adjustment or replacement after all these years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Bug, June 2, 2004
By A Customer
I have had one for 3 years and have spent more on it in repairs that I did to buy it. Do not buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars mtd's yard-bug, May 10, 2004
By A Customer
cool looking, fun to use and easy contols.
now with the 9.5 horse vs. previous 8.5 horse briggs.....moves and cuts even better.
anything more than 1/2 acre....u need a bigger mower....great residential mower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yardbug just received, June 26, 2004
By A Customer
I ordered this machine and we are happy with it so far. I have only had it for a week but it ran well and arrived safely. However I do want to warn anyone who is going to have this shipped that the shipper is only required to bring the item to your home. It is up to you to get the lawnmower off the semi. The shipping company was going to charge me 90.00 to bring it with a truck with a liftgate so it could be set in my driveway. It comes on a wood pallette with a wooden frame around it like a cage. You can't just pick it up. I was told that they would call and arrange a delivery time so I figured I could pick it up at the shipper when it arrived and they would have a forklift to put it in a pickup truck for me. I could then wheel it down a ramp or something. But the shipper called to say they had it and they were in Miami, I am in Ft. Lauderdale. This is a 80 mile round trip. It never occured to me that they would send it somewhere I don't live. I couldn't find anyone with a pickup truck with the time to go that far to get the lawnmower. The shipper said it would be a 90.00 charge to bring the lawnmower to my house from Miami on a truck with a liftgate to set it in my driveway. I called amazon to complain about the charge and was told it was my own fault for not reading the information on the shipping. I did read it. (they also threatened me that if I refused delivery, that I would be charged the 600 and something shipping fee). I had made arrangements and then they shipped it to Miami. Anyway, Amazon made a deal with the shipping company if I paid amazon 25.00 more I could get the liftgate truck. So I paid. I think if this service is available, I would have paid it when I bought the lawnmower from amazon originally. Then there would have been no problem. It was a hassle that could have been avoided.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have always been pleased with the way it mows, January 19, 2015
I own 3 Yard Bug mowers.I am a 20 year auto mechanic and I have no problem doing any repairs to them.All of them have the same problems.All of the parts are available and have been delivered to my door within days of being ordered.I have always been pleased with the way it mows.This is a small,lightweight mower.It is one step above a push mower.It is not a LAWN TRACTOR!Buy the right size mower for your task. All machinery has its limits.Yard less than ONE acre and mostly level.Driver less than 250 Lbs.Grass 3 inches or less. If grass is deeper, mow twice.Do not use mulch plug Ever! I collect these mowers.Cub Cadet 1027 ,Yard Bug, Craftsman DRM 500,Sprinto. Please call if you have given up on yours. BOB M. 1-717-887-0741

LV MESS.

1.0 out of 5 stars piece of junk!, September 3, 2014
I bought my yard bug about 3 months ago. I've yet to mow my yard once without a problem! First, the battery gets super hot & swells up due to the heat hitting it from the motor. Second, I was told it was only 3 yrs old when I got it & used by "an old lady", so I expected it well maintained. It wasn't. The one belt (of the 3 it has!) You need to pull the engine off to replace it. It took several hours just to change one of the belts. Third, it goes 3 mph at best and stalls out on me every mowing to where I can't ever really finish mowing, and have yet to get one full mowing out of it without some problem leaving me with no use of it. So all in all...piece of junk! But if you'd like to try it out for yourself, get ahold of me as mine is now up for sale & I'm going back to my trusted push mower!! I'd rather push mow my 2 acres than continue " trying to use" this piece of junk!

3.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job, April 15, 2010
Randy Waltrip (Flagstaff, Arizona) - See all my reviews
I've had the Yard Bug 3 years now and can report that it's a pretty nifty little mower. Great turning radius for tight spots.....like around trees, etc. Not very fast, but fast enough for our half-acre of grass. I did have to replace a belt and a battery. Cuts evenly; lawn looks good when you're finished. Having to lift the blade to go into reverse can be an irritating safety feature, but you do get used to it. I can mow both front and back on one tank of gas. Of course, before this I've only used power mowers, and this is a far sight better than those. Over all, a nifty little bug that does the job.