Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

My husband has arthritis, and mowing our 1/3 acre lawn was getting him down. After comparing these, and the prices, we purchased this locally. We purchased it under the name of "Huskee LT 42 Lawn Tractor," made by MTD with this serial number. MTD makes these models under several names, and actually is the manufacturer for Troybuilt as well as Huskee and Yard Machines.

A key element in choosing this particular model was the fact that this is flat (instead of raised) on the bottom under the steering wheel. The Craftsman one we were using is raised, making it impossible for him to lift his leg over. While I enjoyed using it, he didn't get the pleasure.

It is very easy to start, having a choke setting, the blades can be set at five different settings! This does have a towing hitch, which makes it handy for lugging things around in the garden. The seat can be adjusted to make it more comfortable for the rider. It does not come with a mulching option, however this can be purchased separately. Our local store assembled it and made sure it had oil and sufficient gas to get it started, and one of their team personally delivered it, so it was nice to purchase this locally.

The nice part about these is they come with a Briggs and Stratton Engine. The tank holds 1.36 gallons, and it comes with a two year manufacturer warranty.

We were inexperienced in using riding mowers and my husband was able to quickly figure out all of the controls. The video shows him using it right off of the back of the pickup, to drive it into the garage. As you can see, there are some false starts, but within seconds, he has it going! Newbies, don't be scared of this nice little machine. My husband did fine after the first few minutes, and cut the entire lawn. His only problem involved learning how to use it in the yard to avoid having to back up (thinking ahead of time), since he is not used to shifting, and he lifted the clutch too soon when putting it in reverse, stalling it out.

It lists the ideal use as one acre or less with mostly flat terrain (limit of 15% grade)' with wide open landscaping. It makes nice turns, and we are very pleased.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 6, 2014
I bought this lawn mower almost 3 years ago I was low on money and really needed a mower bad although it was one of the cheapest priced riding mowers I could find at the time it has really held up nice. It still starts fast and easy even after sitting in storage for winter (tip for easy starting used non ethanol gas if you can find it or treat your gas with Mechanic in a bottle it comes in a 5.25 ounce bottle that treats up to 25 gallons of gas and it's priced around 6 to 11 dollars depending on where you buy it) This mower has plenty of power for a small rider. It cuts pretty level for me but it could use a set of aftermarket deck wheels which I plan to buy for it this spring . I personally have only had one problem with mine the lens covering the headlights fell off and i ran over it besides that its been a great little mower for the price.
on August 13, 2013
We bought this from Tractor Supply under the "Huskee" product name. It's still the same piece of junk whether a Yardman or Huskee. We bought it just to cut our front and back yard.
Pros: Fairly inexpensive compared to other models, fairly easy to operate, good gas mileage.
Cons:
- Just ride this and you'll know it's cheaply made. You can almost shift gears without engaging the clutch.
- Every bump you hit is jarring, it rides like a lumber wagon with no suspension system. There's no padding on the seat to help either.
- Doesn't cut level if you are cutting on unlevel ground. Only on level ground will you get a level cut.
- There are 5 levels of cutting height. If you use anything other than level 5, you'll destroy your grass. Level 5 actually cuts too short for my taste.
- BUT my big problem is this: Two weeks after buying the riding lawn mower (and using it only 3 times), the transmission belt came off the pulley. MTD directed us to one of the approved warranty repair shops. Surprise! The shop had not done warranty work for them for years. Owner of the shop told me MTD's warranty department was difficult to deal with and didn't like to pay for warranty work. Turns out the transmission belt had been chewed nearly in half sitting in either Tractor Supply or MTD's warehouse. The owner of the repair shop was able to get $80 from MTD's warranty department. They wouldn't pay for the whole amount of $160 stating it took him too long to do the work. The work had been done, he was waiting to be re-approved as a warrantly shop.

Before buying, check out Tractor Supplies website and read the reviews. I think it has 2 1/2 stars.
on December 22, 2011
i bought this tractor as a christmas gift for my husband i had him open it before christmas only to find out it did not work. we called the company since you cant return it and they are giving us a hard time about getting a new battery for it. be very careful when ordering this prodduct.