5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, poignant...
It's true--longtime readers of Stephanie's blog will recognize some of the material here, but it's like greeting old friends. You know, like a "Best Of" CD by your favorite artist. And the new comic pieces are very funny, and in her inimicable style that both understands/pokes gentle fun at all of us obsessive knitters.

The poignant pieces are very moving; one...
Published on September 28, 2005 by Martha

3.0 out of 5 stars Recycled material!
Totally disagree with previous reviewer. I read the author's blog daily, and this book is approximately half recycled material. I feel gypped, I'll admit. Granted, many who buy the book may not read her blog, but I'd guess a very high percentage of her considerable blog following did, and they bought an AWFUL lot of stories they'd already heard. Disappointed. Much...
Published on September 20, 2005 by S. Ralls

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, poignant..., September 28, 2005
Martha (Port Orchard, WA, United States) - See all my reviews

The poignant pieces are very moving; one made me sniffle late into the night. If you've had the experience written about in this essay, you will be tearing up over your merino, too.

The knitting essay is a lovely art; like knitting, it can be picked up for just a few moments and you feel satisfied. Stephanie does it the best!

4.0 out of 5 stars Should be mandatory reading for Knitters Anonymous, August 22, 2006
A. Reader (Boise, Idaho United States) - See all my reviews
If you have more than one knitting project started and have something small in your purse to knit while waiting at traffic lights or in doctor's offices, this book is for you. If you don't knit, I can't imagine why this book would attract you unless you have somehow wildly misinterpreted the "harlot" part of the title.

Ms. Pearl-McPhee is a dedicated (obsessed?) knitter who is not afraid to admit to her reading public that she might have "stash" issues and that "Marital relations" do cut into her knitting time. Anyone who has been knitting for a while will recognize her lace shawl experience, coveting yarn that will probably never leave the "core stash," and the wild exuberance that makes one think that one can complete knitted gifts for their entire family if one starts in November. Nothing deep here, but provides lots of chuckles for the knitting addict.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh-out-loud funny, September 25, 2005
Stephanie Pearl-McPhee has been a source of entertainment for years on her blog, and I'm happy to have her wisdom and obsession at my fingertips in not one, but two volumes, with the publication of this book. I actually laughed out loud over the story of the green afghan, and the DPN incident. I don't know if I could explain the stories to someone who isn't a Knitter, but for those who are, well, this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious! A great gift for every knitter in your life!, September 27, 2005
This is the book for every knitter! Great stories told by a funny and witty writer. The themes she explores are spot on and every knitter I know can relate to them. If you are looking for the perfect gift for the knitters in your life, buy them a copy of this book and some yarn.

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, March 26, 2006
M. Morgan (Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews
When a friend of mine at the yarn store told me to read this book, I thought "There is no way I'll like a knitting book without any patterns." I was wrong. This book is refreshing. It was so nice to see someone write about knitting in such a funny, addictive, manner. I've since bought all of her other books, and read her blog on a daily basis. If you are looking for something light to read (and about knitting!!) you'll love this book. Although, you may want to read it alone (away from strangers) because you are sure to laugh out loud at some of her stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh one knit two laugh four purl two, June 11, 2006
I have only laughed harder when reading books written by Christopher Moore. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee has a gift of making you want to knit with her and share in her humor and her perspective. She makes me want to learn more than how to knit squares in all knit or all purl and she makes me want to actually learn how to knit a sock *sob* must I? Yes, I must. Because she's inspired me, dammit. She's got a humor that makes it fun and helps you realize that you're human when you swear at your yarn and throw the skein and needles into a bag and leave it there for four years. Read this book, you will love it and want to call her at 2am for help with a slipped stitch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too much fun!, November 15, 2006
As an avid knitter who has quickly found that her part-time hobby has become a full-time love, I had to pick up Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's book, "Yarn Harlot." This is also what she is known as to the many people who read her online blog of the same name.

I don't read her blog, although I had heard of her before, so to me all this material is new. (I think another reviewer said much of this book can be found online in her blogs, but who wants to wade through all that stuff on the computer?) From her first knitting story, "The Green Afghan," she had me hooked. I never thought I would be able to say it, but I can totally relate. (Ironically, I picked up this book shortly after finishing a would-have-been full-size blanket for my mother-in-law that quickly became a smaller lap throw for her couch!)

You have to either laugh at her misadventures or be horrified that someone could be THAT obsessed with knitting. (While I do have a huge stash, it's at least contained in one dresser in one room, unlike Pearl-McPhee's, which, if she is to be believed, is everywhere in her house.) I chose the first option, because, being a knitter myself, I understand the mania. I may not have done it myself first hand, but I can understand what she's thinking.

"Yarn Harlot" has funny moments, sad moments ("What Her Hands Won't Do") and sweet moments. Knitting is so much a part of Pearl-McPhee that it overflows (apparently literally!) into her everyday life. If you're a knitter, or live with/are good friends with a knitter, you'll probably like this book. If you're not and have no interest in knitting (in that case, why are you even on this page?) you'll probably be horrified at Pearl-McPhee's out-of-control knitting world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brain candy, March 23, 2006
J. Matheu (One stop past the middle of nowhere) - See all my reviews
I was looking forward to this book after reading "At Knit's End" by the same author and finding it quite hilarious. Though this book had some moments of chuckles, that was about it. The stories were okay and I would have only given it 3 stars but it's about knitting, which automatically makes everything better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, March 24, 2006
I loved reading this book. Steph's humor is right up my alley, and her knitting knowledge is amazing. I never tire of her antics. If you enjoy her blog you will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not brain surgery...or even a book about brain surgery, March 31, 2006
(Read the book and you'll know what I mean.) The chapters are fast reads and laced with humor. I've only been reading the Harlot's blog for a few months, so all were new to me. Gift this to a kniiter with some needles or yarn and you can't go wrong.

Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter
Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (Paperback - September 1, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01